Tell me how do I learn programming? Reading a book doesn't work for me. Please give me an effective way

Tell me how do I learn programming? Reading a book doesn't work for me. Please give me an effective way.

What have you tried?
Where are you stuck?

>Please give me an effective way.
Read a book and practice what it teaches

If you cannot find a person to train you personally, then the only alternative is to learn from a book.

>Reading a book doesn't work for me.

Translation: I'm lazy and/or an idiot.

You know what you have to do OP. Now get to it.

I'm actually just in the beginning part but it's so boring though I'm positive that I wanna learn the language and be a programmer. I don't what's keeping me from learning it

If you cannot read, you cannot code.

Start with C++ it's good for beginners, then you can move on to harder languages

I recommend to not read stuff etc. just get a good C++ IDE and try to program something simple... programming is an art, not a science... follow your instincts

I suppose it's teaching all the basics and terms, can be daunting and boring if you've never programmed and don't understand a thing. Start "learning by doing", i.e. pick a problem you want to solve ("I want a program that tells me the current date and time :^)", "I want to grab the newest thread from the Cred Forums API", whatever) and start programming and research functions, methods,..... maybe look it up in the book, maybe use Google and Stackoverflow. Reading 200 pages of a beginner tutorial without actually trying and doing programming is probably not helpful.

>what's keeping me from learning it
Ability.
Apply yourself.

Start with something very easy.

Like Autohotkey, or Python or VBA (microsoft office macro language).

You could try to create macros for online games with autohotkey like autofire or one key combos, or automate some work you already do with excel, or maybe try to create some web crawler with python.

Doing something without an objective is boring.

Then after you have become good with logic move to something better later like C++ or Java or C#.

Thank you the great advices. I know what I lack of now. I'll follow you guys.

I'm afraid you're aiming to high, my millenial friend. If you lack mental capacity to acquire knowledge from written sources, the best career you can hope for is shoveling shit on a farm.

>C++
>good for beginners
>2016

u call it a career?

Not OP here. Piggybacking onto this.

I too want to try and get into programming. I figure I might be best learning some basics and fiddling around with small projects for practice (text based game, file explorer, budget tracker, shit like that).

I thought of using Codeacademy, but I've read a few opinion pieces against it (doesn't teach you to think like a coder, doesn't teach you the really technical stuff, ect).

So with that not being an option, where do I go besides back to school to learn basic programming free/on a budget? Obviously I'd go back to school for a more comprehensive education - right now I just want to learn enough to see if this is even for me.

Is your attention span really that short?

you will never be a good programmer, you will be a codemonkey, so please don't start.

C++ is one of the worst languages. If you want a more elegant language learn D.

Go is probably the easiest language to learn though.

Find something you want to make and start trying to make it. Figure the rest of the shit out a long the way, it doesn't have to be perfect.

For me I started with Flash and ActionScript making crappy games. Now I know C++, C#, Java, Python, and JavaScript.

Part of learning to program for me was using it to accomplish something I cared about otherwise what's the fucking point. #staymotivated

arigatou ossan

>has no reading comprehension
>wants to learn how to code
lol

codemonkey
codemonkey
codemonkey
codemonkey
codemonkey

Don't bother OP, sounds like you suffer from retardation, if you can't sit down and read a book you'll never get anywhere.

>Tell me how do I learn a language? Reading a book doesn't work for me. Please give me an effective way.
Remember when you learned english by reading that one book? good times

If you dont have the patience to read a book, the you want have to patience to become a good programmer.
So start by practicing being patient.

Learning C++ fucking hell.

Not him, but I'm having fun so far.
Can't wait to make a small and simple Turn based RPG combat system.

best way is to target some big thing.
If you into web development, try to design a facebook alternative, you start from the bottom, you choose and learn the language syntax, you learn about database, caching, frontend, backend.

That will be slow and painful, but if you keep working on that everyday, within a year you may make something that is similar to a product.

do exercises.
Then read a book so you have a context for what you do.
In the book there should be exercises so you can learn more.

If you do like then break all tasks into smaller problems and solve them one at a time.