What's the purpose of Haiku?

What's the purpose of Haiku?
Can't they already claim the 1.0 version so it would get some attention of others?

Don't know

Tell your experience of all those.

>installed VMs
>took screenshot for desktop thread

10/10 would experience again

remember BeOS? microsoft threatened OEM personal computer makers not to include it on their PCs as dual boot, and BeOS sort of got kicked to the curb and slowly withered on the vine, then when BeOS died is when i think it forked to Haiku, this all happened in the late 1990's or early 2000 so my memory is a bit fuzzy, i am sure you can find the details of how it all exactly went down at wikipedia or somewhere

>Gentoo is hard.
>Debian is Windows friendly.
>Arch took 100 steps to install.
>Trisquel and Chakra are okay.
>Alpine is raw.
>OS/2 Warp and Syllable are old.
>Manjaro is ugly.
>Haiku is fucking Haiku.
>Artegos is fine.

To try to bring back the glory that was BeOS.

Most amazing OS you ever used 15 years ago

Part of me appreciates all these other OSes existing. But honestly Linux is the best alternative to windows in terms of support and ease of use.

>>Arch took 100 steps to install.
More like 6. And all straight forward.

>What is the purpose

What's the purpose of Windows or Linux?

You just use it to get shit done that you want.

It's like AmigaOS. It's an interesting concept but pretty useless in practice, although even AmigaOS is good for playing Amiga games nowadays

>You just use it to get shit done that you want.
Well, it doesn't have Office and decent browser. How's shit going to get dine?

Neither does Linux and that's why it doesn't get dine either.

>LIbreoffice
>Firefox, Chrome(ium) and some more browsers
>No decent Office suite or web browser
Also, you can install the Office suite directly using WIne

ideally, it's a not-Windows OS designed specifically for desktop use, with a classic, tightly integrated UI to match

in practice, no one cares that much and it'd probably have a 1.0 release if it wasn't so fucking unstable (nothing like browsing the web or making something in MilkyTracker and then the program just stops responding and you can't do shit to it, and you're pretty sure it's not the application's fault since it happens to several entirely different programs when used for an extended period of time).

There's more use for a computer system than as an internet appliance or basic office work, you know. Depending on who you ask, all you need is a text editor and a compiler in the end.

Cursory googling made it seem like they dev team intended you to mostly use older BeOS applications that it's compatible with, I guess.

Well, will a programmer write for the unpopular system?

And it was almost bought by Apple and repackaged as OS X, but they went with NEXT instead.

>judging OS quality by how long they took to install
Never change, Cred Forums

AmigaOS's main flaw is that it's been essentially eclipsed by OSX for anything the originals were good for

Plan A instead of Plan Be.

kek

bump for interest

I can tell you only tried manjaro.