There is a phenomenon I noticed about age and software. The older you get...

There is a phenomenon I noticed about age and software. The older you get, the less shits you give about what runs on your phone/pc, who wrote it or what it was written in. You don't care who mines your data, you don't care what search engine you use. What text editor you use.

All it matters is that the software works.

That same phenomenon applies to using Linux on a desktop. Admit it. You use Linux for bragging rights, don't you?

I use linux BECAUSE I'm old and lazy.

>The older you get, the less shits you give about what runs on your phone/pc, who wrote it or what it was written in. You don't care who mines your data, you don't care what search engine you use. What text editor you use.
RMS

I use it because its free and I enjoy tinkering around with it.

That's not being lazy. Beign lazy is using a prebuild system, and using OEMs driver wizard to install drivers for Windows 7. And then calling Microsoft when Windows Update breaks, so that they can mail you the solution.

> tinkering
I.e having too much free time/no job.

so far i've been experiencing the opposite but your point makes sense

That's such narrow thinking. Are you telling me you don't have a hobby? I'm not saying I'm sitting in my room all day changing config files, but i think its fun to mess with every once in a while.

this.

what is other user's hobby? your either jerking off your boss or schizophrenic if you don't have a hobby.

>And then calling Microsoft when Windows Update breaks, so that they can mail you the solution.

I wish.

No, I use Ubuntu GNU/Linux since 2008 as my main operating system, because I find a unix-like system more convenient.
Most of my experience with Windows was a bad one, it never really worked the way I'd like it to. I still use it to play computer games though.
I never had a Mac, so I don't know if I'd like OSX or not.

You must have a really sad life if you do nothing other than work, eat and sleep.

I literally did that an hour ago.

I don't think it has anything to do with age but rather how long you've given a fuck about software.

For starters few people give a fuck to begin with. Then you learn about the ideal of FLOSS software for a while and maybe make yourself a martyr by using it but eventually you'll get fed up and just start using what works best.

No, because every time I get a new system I don't reinstall. I just move/clone the drive and it works.

I'm also cheap, so I save money on licensing.

Actually, if anything, I've gotten pickier with privacy as I got older.

No, mang. I use Linux because I don't like to be spied. Also I will always care for the faster and stable software I can find.

i use linux because it's what we use at work

i have a windows box at home because it's what i had before $current_job

it really doesn't matter

i really don't care. as long at it works and i know how to use it. it's true

As I've gotten older I still do care about what hardware/software I use, but I don't really care about what other people use or judge them for it like when I was younger. The more people you meet, the more you realize there isn't any correlation between intelligence or personality or anything that really matters and tech choices. People just use whatever works best for what they do on their machines or is most convenient to them.

opposite for me desu

older I got the more mature I got about only using what I need. I'm not going to install a big hungry 60gb operating system with a billion background processes and 1gb idle ram usage on my fragile little laptop, and then get a GCC emulator like mingw and cross compile for linux, when I could just install Linux and GCC. Why would I do that?

If you're not in school anymore, that's probably what your life becomes, with rare exceptions.
I didn't believe it either when I was younger.

I'm old enough to be your dad, you little pile of shit, and I care more than anyone on Cred Forums.

So fuck off back to Cred Forums playing your shit non-games on your Wintel botnet garbage.

You both must have horrible lives if you're hobby is sitting in front of the computer doing something, let alone fixing broken shit. You should be skiing or carving wood instead.

This.

Why do lintards get triggered so hard at mention of this?

I find that the older you get the less you go for killer specs and ricing. I'm using the same machine I built in 2010. I have the same laptop from 2012 and the only thing I upgrade every two years is my phone.

>The older you get, the less shits you give about what runs on your phone/pc, who wrote it or what it was written in. You don't care who mines your data, you don't care what search engine you use. What text editor you use.
Opposite. The older I get, the more I recoil in horror from the bullshit that is going INTO software. Spyware for pay - especially the entire "you are the product" approach - is repulsive to me. The more I see it, the more I work harder to decouple from Windows.

So what you're saying is you're coming down with dementia.

I use Linux because its faster and easier to use.

What OP is saying is that if you put a frog in a pot of water on a stove and slowly turn up the temperature a frog will get cooked instead of leaping out of the pot if the temperature was turned up fast.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO A FROG?
RRREEEEEEEEEE

to stop the frog from making more gpu threads

OP is right, personally idgaf about what software is doing to my ass hole when I'm not looking, Go ahead and rape my freedom, fuck if I care.

>You use Linux for bragging rights, don't you?
No. As a programmer, Windows on pants-on-head retarded.

my guess is OP is talking about people > 25 y.o.
happens to me. caring so much about shit gets tiring

shhh, you're oppressing the shitposters

>The older you get, the less shits you give about what runs on your phone/pc,
I don't really care about dependencies if that is what you mean, but if I have to add too much new stuff without any reward, I would rather stick to what I got.
>who wrote it or what it was written in.
Never cared about that.
Most software is not written by one person and groups of people are always less inspiring.
>You don't care who mines your data, you don't care what search engine you use.
I am not that old yet, I think it is more of a young thing to do.
To me, it is like littering. You poison the world for the next generations and act like it is no big deal. I know it won't change much, but I don't have to contribute to the problem if I can avoid it.
>What text editor you use.
Very specific to people who writes software, but I guess that everyone picks a tool and stick with it at some point.
I don't think people want to change.
>All it matters is that the software works.
Sure
>That same phenomenon applies to using Linux on a desktop.
With Linux, I don't care about who works on it (too many people to care). I care a bit that it is written in C, wouldn't use it if it was written in node.js.
Right now, I don't think Linux reports back to anyone, but if it did, I would care.
I find it very offensive as a human when companies value profit over freedoms.
>Admit it. You use Linux for bragging rights, don't you?
Who should I be bragging too?
Nobody cares.
My colleagues might, as that directly impacts them, but I would never brag about trivial stuff like that to them.
What's next? Bragging about sleeping every night?
And leading the sentence with "admit it" does not make your assumptions true.

Admit it, you sound like an idiot.

well I may be lazy, but not THAT lazy

it's not a be-all-and-end-all word.
there are things you are okay with, that you can afford to be lazy about.
and then there are things you are absolutely autistic about and will almost always do something about. like brushing your teeth or something.

brush your teeth.

you sleep every night?

hey guys look at slumbers mcdreamy over here

I'm 20 and I don't care. Fuck you.

phenomenon based on anecdotal evidence from the generation of boomers

my mom doesn't give a fuck, doesn't mean I won't give a fuck

normies don't give a fuck regardless of age, as long as it's an apple device they run it on

>tfw im 20
>prebuilt system
>use oem wizard to install drivers
In my defense you cant really get a custom built laptop at a reasonable price and dell update program is pretty good it gets the job done and does nothing more

Same, but upgrading soon for that sweet VR desktop

I live in a situation where its better than a great screen, privacy. .

Why are you on a technology board if you don't like technology?

>You don't care who mines your data
:^)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Idk, I am 23 years old and use Windows 7 with no willingness to use anything else. CM13 on my Nexus 4.

Actually, I started using Linux because it worked better than Windows.

I use Linux because it's free (as in free beer) but there's also the added benefit of being faster than my Windows partition and freer (as in America).
Since I've started using Linux, I've started to notice the cracks in the veneer, but I still prefer it to Windows because muh rice and muh freedom. However, if Microsoft ever decides to go full foss, I'd start using Windows again for sure and if someone came up with a more elegant solution for POSIX compliance (as in full native compatibility) I'd be all set.

>I use Linux because its faster and easier to use.
Blatant lying on the interwebs here

I no longer care about who wrote it, I care less about what it is, but I still do care about what's written on.

I refuse to install python on windows, and java in either windows or Linux.

>All it matters is that the software works.
Yes, that's why I'm using Linux (no bleeding edge shit ofc).

Only the dead don't age.