/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Learn the comman line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/' copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
archlinux.org/news/
spotify.com/us/download/linux/
github.com/aspiers/opensuse-spotify-installer
github.com/rembo10/headphones
imagemagick.org/Usage/montage/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Complete_example_for_QEMU_.28CLI-based.29_without_libvirtd_.28can_switch_GPUs_without_reboot.29
github.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch/blob/master/screenfetch-dev#L1324
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Grsec
Cred
gist.github.com/dvliman/11264471
occupyflash.org/
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
gnu.org/software/gnash/
askubuntu.com/questions/398704/how-do-i-crop-time-not-picture-an-mp4-video-file
mpv.io
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for windows > linux

>using literally malware as main os
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
git gut

If linux was better os, more people would use it. It is simple as that. Why would people use something that is bad?
Linux sucks dick, sorry user :'(

Why are you in this thread?

Popularity != Quality, that said, more people use Linux than you may think. Many services such as Google are powered by Linux.

"better" is relative, a guy who needs control over his OS isn't happy with Windows, while someone who isn't interested in tech much may be enjoy Windows (while being tracked and selled out).

Because i can

>more people use Linux than you may think. Many services such as Google are powered by Linux
Yes servers, if i am driving in bus every day that does not means that i like bus and that they are great, i just need to use to get somewhere.
>while someone who isn't interested in tech much may be enjoy Windows (while being tracked and selled out).
Someone who enjoy in spending time using his computer, not configuring it every day.
Someone who likes playing games
Someone who likes designing shit
Someone who is mechanical engineer
Someone who is not attention whore like every linux user. (Look at me i have linux, ill open terminal and start updating my system so i can get some random letters in terminal and people will think i am hacker).

list is long user, very long

Nice OP pic.
I really like the guy who makes OP for these fglt threads. Different bistro pictures were also pretty cool. I think he doesnt get enough appreciation. Thanks user.

You're welcome. Also: check'd.

Just try it user. You woun't reget.
There are enough equivalents for software you're used to use on Windows and the gaming support keeps growing.

Can you name an open source software that was programmed using the OOP paradigm ?

I'll have to analyse the code etc. It's for a school project, so it have to be simple.

>gaming
vm passthrough for your very own Windows emulator
that way you keep your os save from malware and enjoy gaymen at the same time

How does gentoo verify packages before installing? I've heard it only checks hashes, but not gpg signatures.

I'm trying gpu-passthrough with qemu on arch, and followed the pci passthrough guide on both the arch & installgentoo wiki.
Currently following the installgentoo guide, I get permission denied on /dev/vfio/1 when as user, and as root I get a screen on my igfx connected monitor saying:
QEMU 2.7.0 monitor - type 'help' for more information
(qemu)

What am I doing wrong?

Is there any file manager that has proper searching? Thunar doesn't and the one in Dolphin blows

I have looked for such a thing for some time too. I don't think dolphin's search is bad though. I liked pcmanfm's, try that one, if you don't like it, I recommend you open terminal panel in dolphin and use find command.
(As a hardcore freetard I admit that I think windows explorer's search is superior to any of these though. It's just comfy to have a search bar, and I haven't found one in linux)

Linux > Pile of shit > Windows.

Come back when you can make personalized daemons and chroot jails.

>it's another autism vs autism episode

I couldn't even find any files when searching in a single folder with Dolphin, maybe that's just me being an idiot though.

>I was going for it until I saw sourceforge

How is that relevant at all?

Use a separate search program like FSearch.

Please teach me how 2 chroot.

Since this seems like the real thread, I'll ask again here:
I'm planning to move to Linux on my desktop and laptop computers.
Is Antergos a good distro?
Can a system update really break an Arch installation, or is that just a meme?
Do kernel upgrades break the proprietary nvidia driver?

For your first distro, I wouldn't choose Arch Linux, but if you want to use something based on Arch, use Manjaro. Antergos is basically just an installer that rebrands Arch with it's logo, so it woun't prevent you from possible breakage like Manjaro. That said, there's not as much breakage as it's getting meme'd but it happens from time to time, especially when you don't update regulary.

You might have something wrong with your kde installation, or I guess you are using dolphin out of kde.
I think it might be a problem about baloo but I am not too sure.

>Can a system update really break an Arch installation, or is that just a meme?
Actually it breaks when you don't update. Update at least once a week and everything should be fine. You can check archlinux.org/news/ to see if something my break (it doesn't happen often).

I'm using XFCE on Arch, the Arch wiki says it's some problem with Baloo but disabling it doesn't fix it

Scratch that, disabling it did fix it, I was just looking under the wrong tab

ffmpeg wizards here? What settings would you recommend to convert a gif into a webm without loosing quality?

This won't be my first distro. I'm fairly experienced with Linux, just not on my desktop/laptop for everyday use.
I'm considering Antergos because it looks acceptable out of the box and I like that it provides the latest version of most software, and I also prefer rolling release.
Thanks for recommending Manjaro, I'll look into that too.

>asking the same people who keep a myth alive whether or not it's true

You're an idiot, alright.

That's good, but is the theme fine? When I was trying to use dolphin under xfce it tried to imitate the gtk theme and it looked very bad. I fixed it by setting some environment variables.

Manjaro is about 2 weeks behind Arch (doe to breakage checking), but there's also Manjaro unstable if you want rolling. That said, at this point you could also use straight Arch.

You're the idiot. The point of this thread is to bust the myths and help newcomers, hence the "friendly".

What's the difference between believing me or those who spread the myth? He's still blindly believing someone instead of finding it out for himself.
That's what "distribution hopping" is for. When I say "distribution hopping" I mean trying out the few core distributions and making a decision for yourself. Not doing that retarded thing where idiots try out every distribution on distrowatch.com which only changes a wallpaper and icon theme.

In reality, this thread is usually riddled with memers.

Not that much, there are some tryhards baiting who usually don't get replies. The only meme in this thread is red team vs blue team, which is mostly just fun/boredom when no newcomers are around.

I don't really mind, I'm just running a hackjob in a VM to learn how to configure it when I do decide to make the plunge. I'm running a Linux VM on my Macbook because Tuxguitar broke with the Sierra beta.

>daily reminder that women matter

Not again...

p-please regonize me

HEY BUDDIES
I AM TRYING TO GET SOME STUDY GUIDES FOR LPIC-1 EXAM 101,102 (last updated: April 15th, 2015). IS ANYBODY HERE THAT CAN HELP WITH SOMETHING?

>vm passthrough for your very own Windows emulator
People around here talk about GPU passthrough like it's a valid solution to a problem, but it's really not.

Setting it up is nigh impossible. Then if you're one of the lucky few to succeed, your GNU/Linux OS will be powered by a lesser GPU which can't be fixed unless you reboot your system. It really isn't much better than dual-booting, and in some ways it's much worse because it's less practical and less convenient to setup/use.

how can i config awesome's rc.lua in such a way that a widget (and it's dependencies) are only loaded if it's run on a certain machine? I was thinking the easiest way is probably through checking the hostname, but how can I set this up?

make a blank rc.lua and put your hostname check in there which loads either hosta.lua or hostb.lua

will try, thanks

My friend said that I need to learn how to use linux for cybersecurity since that what i want to go to college for.
Where should i start ?

>Setting it up is nigh impossible.
You have to be a dumb cunt to not be able to get it up and running with today's tools. A year ago when it was relatively new and you didn't have pci-vfio I'd agree, however now? Please. Far easier than installing Arch or fucking with Pulseaudio.
>Then if you're one of the lucky few to succeed, your GNU/Linux OS will be powered by a lesser GPU which can't be fixed unless you reboot your system
Absolutely not correct. You can rebind the GPU by killing X and doing a pciscan. If you use the free Radeon drivers you are even able to do it without killing X.

Seems like you've got some grudges and bad information from over a year ago. Stop being a faggot, and try it yourself.

start reading.

It is a valid solution.
And it's not hard to set up either.

Are you running Debian stable or something?

As a followup to I'll write you a mini-guide that'll fit into a single post.

Start by installing vfio-pci, kvm, qemu, bridge-utils, libvirt. You should have a kernel that is at least 4.4. That should be all you need to install. Add intel_iommu=on into your GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT at /etc/default/grub. Reboot. Check that it is enabled through dmesg|grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU

Using the command you just used write down the values of your GPU and its HDMI. It should be something like 10de:13c2 and 10de:0fbb or something similar. It's probably on PCI slot 01:00.0 and 01:00.1 (write this number down as well).

Create a new empty file: /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf and write the following where you obviously edit out the ids with your own: options vfio-pci ids=10de:13c2,10de:0fbb

Depending on your distribution, you might need to add vfio vfio_iommu_type1 vfio_pci kvm kvm_intel to your modules. /etc/modules on Debian based distros. Reboot. It'll now use your Intel card instead of your dedicated one.

Set up Qemu using OVMF which is pretty standard procedure. You probably have it already. Add

-cpu host,kvm=off,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_relaxed,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vendor_id=Rndshittogoaroundcode43
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,multifunction=on
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1
to your Qemu script. Replace your PCI slot ID with your own (not the id you used in vfio.conf, but the slot number)

And there you go. Done.

For security, I suggest to try Kali Linux. The best way to know how to make a system secure is to know the possibilities to break it.

I disagree

Currently using Ubuntu 14.04. Since apparently Tails requires at least 15.04 to install using only one usb stick, I'm wondering if I should upgrade.

I haven't upgraded before because anything new is always scary, so I want to as if the new versions have anything "bad" I should be wary of, or if they're better and I should go for it.

If the former, I guess I could also try installing tails with my Debian VM, although I'm not sure how easy it is to make the VM detect the flash drive.

Cred Forums, when using dd to make ISO burnable on flash drive, is the flash drive still writeable like it can be edited or is it read only like a cd?

>Assuming you're the guy who keeps asking the question, when I need only a progressbar (That's the point, isn't it?), I use curl -#.
No! I need to know if the progress bar was printed, not just print. Just print I already can do. But I need to delete it after it reaches 100%, so I can print the next in the same place, without flooding.

>That should be all you need to install.
Nah, most people need specialized hardware for this.

the iso9660 filesystem is read-only, regardless of whether than underlying device is technically writable

Specialized hardware? Where? VT-d enabled CPU and motherboard? If you have a Skylake, you already have everything. If you have a 4820K or something, you already have it. Or if you have a 2700, 3570, 3770, 4570, 4770 or anything in between, you are completely fine. The only ones who don't have it are the old K series of CPUs, more specifically things like the 2700K, 3570K and 3770K.

There isn't anything "specialized" here whatsoever. Any normal Intel CPU has it as long as it isn't four years old with a K at the end. Almost every single Intel CPU on the market has this feature.

Okay, so the only way the drive with an ISO written on it by dd can be modified is if by formatting it, yes?

I'd like to help. Could you describe exactly what you want/how a result should look like?

Guessing you want to print a # for every instance, regardless of actual downloads, my idea would be to split your command into multiple instances where you can catch every instance like this:

$ for i in {1..10}; do wget -qO- > /dev/null; printf '#'; done; printf '[100]\n'
##########[100]

(just a stupid example that downloads this thread 10 times and prints a # for every instance)

it only prevents writing to the mounted filesystem, you can do this with any filesystem by mounting with the "ro" option
it won't prevent;
- dd'ing over any part of the disk
- partitioning off another part of the drive and writing whatever you like there
- bypassing the filesystem and overwriting the contents of files (pretty dodgy)

if you're trying to build a tails system or something similar, you should find yourself a usb drive with a physical write lock, this can't be bypassed in software

God damn Cred Forums. Who had the retarded idea to replace links in source code?

>every single Intel CPU on the market has this feature.
Yes, but not the motherboards and/or the firmware that comes with them.

Hello. My idea is to use the default wget progress bar. With this, I mean: every file provided to it will have it's single progress bar.
[========> ]
Like this. But this way the script floods the screen! I wrote commands to delete the progress bar after if reaches 100%, so I could print the next one in the same place.

The problem is "no clobbing": when the file was already downloaded, Wget does not prints progress bars. If it doesn't prints, but the next commands try to delete the bar, they instead delete other lines on the screen, unrelated. Failure, the screen is destroyed.

So, is there a way to detect when the progress bar was printed, and when it wasn't? Only after knowing this I would feel free to think/try other solutions. I don't like your solution as much as the default progress bar because it only prints AFTER the download, not the % of the download in progress. When downloading big files, there would be no progress indicator until it finished!

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
its not fucking possible, as many people have told you

>as many people have told you
Nobody told me. No, you told me, now. OK, 1 user told me.

Nothing is impossible between 0 and 1, go back to you troll thread newfag.

Not him but you could try counting the files in the directory. If the file count is the same, the progress bar wasn't printed. This obviously only works if the directory was empty before.

>This obviously only works if the directory was empty before.
not really

So hello. I just started studying computer engineering in an university, so im going to learn linux. Where can i find a set of challenges so i can start doing things and developing some memory?

OK. The directory doesn't need to be empty, and simply counting the files isn't the most adequate solution. As the script already has the name of the files before downloading, I could remove them from the download list before downloading, and the progress bar thing wouldn't be a problem anymore. If only not-downloaded-yet files are provided to Wget, every time a file is provided, it WILL print a progress bar. Thanks. I was wanting to avoid this if there was a simpler/shorter solution, but as there isn't, I'll to. Bye!

how do i fix this
neither of those options are what i want desu

Screaming services are not your friends. They violate your freedom.

If there was a free alternative as convenient as Spotify then I would use it. I already made the move from windows to freedom, but I need this. Can I break it and install libcrypt?

Is Spotify free software? It uses GPL?

how is that supposed to be an x

No it's proprietary, but nothing is as good as this except spending hours pirating music.

What's the difference between "spending hours pirating music" and "spending hours on Spotify", for you?

>spending hours in Spotify
More like spend 30 seconds typing the song I want and clicking/tapping on it. It also keeps me notified when artists I follow release new music, suggests music for me based on what I listen to (I have found artists I like with this feature), etc.

Are you going to tell me how to resolve the issue or just lecture me on freedoms?

You'd need to cheap out on the motherboard considerably if it doesn't have VT-d support. We're talking less than $80 motherboard in that case. Pretty much every single motherboard today has VT-d support even if it is cheap.

Challenges? Just use it for a month and see how it fares you. It helped me as a software engineer multiple times during my time in the university. Installing development tools was a fucking easy task compared to Windows. At least for programming stuff that isn't
dependent on Visual Studio (which was one course).

>56680518
Welcome to Cred Forums

Are fresh installing or update?
You have a dep mismatch.Down/Up grade spotify to support the version you need.

In the future do not use rpm/apt based distros.What you are experiencing is called "dep hell", which is common on anything but emerge and pacman package managers

hey any good youtube linux related channel? bonus if it's about ricing

>Down/Up grade spotify to support the version you need.
Don't know how to do that because I'm a retard. Can I just break it and install libgcrypt from yast?

echo -n " "
wget -e robots=off -rHDi.4cdn.org -nc -nd -ERs.jpg,htm --progress=dot 2>&1 | grep --line-buffered "%" | sed -u -e "s,\.,,g" | awk '{printf("\b\b\b\b%4s", $2)}'
echo -ne "\b\b\b\b"
echo "Finished"

- downloads all pictures of this thread
- prints progress in %
- overwrites progress in % for every new file

You're pure cancer, please leave this thread and never come back.

>,htm
should be html

>More like spend 30 seconds typing the song I want and clicking/tapping on it.
And you need HOURS to download 1 song via torrent?

My contribution to this thread:

Aliases are a good thing. Use them.

bmo@harlow ~> alias
..='cd ..'
...='cd ../../../'
....='cd ../../../../'
.....='cd ../../../../'
.4='cd ../../../../'
.5='cd ../../../../..'
C:='cd .wine/drive_c'
CD=cd
autoclean='sudo apt-get autoclean'
autoremove='sudo apt-get autoremove'
c:='cd .wine/drive_c'
cls=clear
copy='cp -piv'
del='rm -iv'
deltree='rm -rf -i'
df='df -h'
diff=colordiff
dir='ls -lh --color=auto'
egrep='egrep --color=auto'
blah='ssh blah.blah.blah.com'
fastping='ping -c 100 -s.2'
fgrep='fgrep --color=auto'
firewall=iptlist
fucking=sudo
gpumeminfo='grep -i --color memory /var/log/Xorg.0.log'
grep='grep --color=auto'
h=history
halt='sudo /sbin/halt'
install='sudo apt-get install'
ipt='sudo /sbin/iptables'
iptlist='sudo /sbin/iptables -L -n -v --line-numbers'
iptlistfw='sudo /sbin/iptables -L FORWARD -n -v --line-numbers'
iptlistin='sudo /sbin/iptables -L INPUT -n -v --line-numbers'
iptlistout='sudo /sbin/iptables -L OUTPUT -n -v --line-numbers'
j='jobs -l'
ls='ls -lh --color=auto'
mem=free
meminfo='free -m -l -t'
more=less
mount='mount | column -t'
move='mv -iv'
netstati='netstat --verbose --tcp --udp --programs --extend'
now='date +"%T"'
nowdate='date +"%d-%m-%Y"'
nowtime=now
path='echo -e ${PATH//:/\\n}'
ping='ping -c 5'
ports='netstat -tulanp'
poweroff='sudo /sbin/poweroff'
pscpu='ps auxf | sort -nr -k 3'
pscpu10='ps auxf | sort -nr -k 3 | head -10'
psmem='ps auxf | sort -nr -k 4'
psmem10='ps auxf | sort -nr -k 4 | head -10'
reboot='sudo /sbin/reboot'
remove='sudo apt-get remove'
rename='mv -iv'
root='sudo -i'
shutdown='sudo /sbin/shutdown'
su='sudo -i'
top=htop
tree='ls -R'
type=cat
untbz2='tar -xvfj'
untgz='tar -xvfz'
upgrade='sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'
ver='uname -a'
which-command=whence
wipe='bcwipe -mf ~/wipe.pattern -w -v -i -r -l ~/check.toilet.paper'
wipe-free='sudo bcwipe -mf ~/wipe.pattern -F -v -i -l ~/check.toilet.paper'

More than 30 seconds.
Harder to find single songs instead of whole albums.

>Can a system update really break an Arch installation,
A system upgrade can break any installation.

Nobody is retarded on the friendly thread.

thanks for contributing
some things:

>CD=cd
shopt -s autocd # never type cd again
>cls=clear
CTRL+L
>rename='mv -iv'
get a better name since there's already a rename program (which is pretty good too)
>upgrade='sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'
use && instead of ; since it makes no sense to upgrade to nothing

enjoy

Is there any way to find a device's IP on the local network by hostname?

Like if I search by the host name "my_server" it should return 192.168.*.*

What program should I use?

You can search your network using nmap, which gives you informations to every result.

use dig my_server

nmap, found it.

Now How can I get the "192.168.0.3" part from the following text?

I don't know how to use sed, I just want a quick script

Nice

Over half of these are awful

Is there a way to make it show all hosts?

What would be more lightweight and secure for everyday use (web browsing, movies, music and web programming) mint, debian or arch?

ubuntu if you decide to use mint

Well it didn't work and libgcrypt.so.11 fails to install.

What do

tails with persistance encrypted data
Go to a thirt store and look for old computers/laptops for $50

How to create something similar to pic related?

Not him but take a look at the pkgbuild file.
The security check is skipped.

Is it possible to say,load up a video in mpv, and interactively pic start and stop locations, and throw it in to a new file of that selection?
Sort of like how the repeat feature works within 2 locations

I have Ubuntu running in a vm (runs quite nicely) but one thing is quite annoying: mouse move events seem to override scroll events. This results in an inability to scroll if the mouse is moved the slightest bit.

Um... Halp?

>Over half of these are awful

That's because half of them are to fix fat-fingered DOSisms, which I tend to do sometimes.

But since I touch fewer and fewer Windows boxes, these get unused.

Aliases are personal. My point in posting was that you can make the shell commands whatever you want. If you are dissatisfied with rm and want to call it something else, go right ahead. Most newbies don't even know that aliases exist.

I will never give up fucking='sudo'

Replacing common commands is bad, bad mojo. Once you get your scripts to break just because someone aliased it into something else you won't have that much fun.

welp if I can't get spotify to run under WINE I'm giving up and going back to windows. application won't work; web player won't work because it won't recognize flash player as installed; chromium and chrome give "something went wrong" on every page, even local ones; etc.

And what is the problem of downloading whole discographies?

Also, don't you know that you can download only some of the files in the torrent, and not all the files?

>wasting bandwidth on downloading the same data over and over again

Truly disgusting.

spotify.com/us/download/linux/

Spotify for Linux
Here you can find a build of Spotify for Linux. We are running this ourselves and we will try to make sure it keeps pace with its Mac and Windows siblings. However, this version is unsupported. You can tell us what you think and ask other users for help at The Spotify Community.

Spotify for Linux is released as a Debian package. Our aim is that it should work with the latest Long Term Support release of Ubuntu, but we will try to make it work for other releases of Ubuntu and Debian as well.

It's exactly the same, idiot. Torrents allow you to download only specific files.

>Debian
Not using Debian.
Just fuck off lad. I won't torrent all my music when I can use 100x more convenient services.

Oh, look, it's stupid, cliche, misinformation question #4531. Why do people ask such stupid questions?

>Not using Debian.
And?

How the fuck am I supposed to use a debian package on opensuse?

>Just fuck off lad. I won't torrent all my music when I can use 100x more convenient services.
I'm not trying to make you do anything. All I'm doing is pointing out your idiocy.

>100x convenient
That's highly subjective. Stop passing it off as an objective truth.

1.Extract Source
2.Compile
3.???
4.Profit!

Pirate:
>go to piratebay or some other shit tracker
>search for album
>open magnet link
>manually select the songs I want out of an album
>wait potentially forever if no peers
>eventually get music
>play
Spotify
>search for song
>click play

This prints nothing but spaces at start, and finished at ending.

>How the fuck am I supposed to use a debian package on opensuse?
ALIEN(1p) User Contributed Perl Documentation ALIEN(1p)

NAME
alien - Convert or install an alien binary package

SYNOPSIS
alien [--to-deb] [--to-rpm] [--to-tgz] [--to-slp] [options] file [...]

DESCRIPTION
alien is a program that converts between Red Hat rpm, Debian deb, Stampede slp, Slackware tgz, and Solaris pkg file formats. If
you want to use a package from another linux distribution than the one you have installed on your system, you can use alien to
convert it to your preferred package format and install it. It also supports LSB packages.

alien.

Yeah I don't know how to do that and I'd rather just return to windows than compile shit from source.

Please, don't call people "idiot" on the friendly thread.

Downloading unauthorized copies of music
>use quicksearch in your browser for your favourite torrent search engine of choice
>open magnet link with torrent client from webbrowser
>listen to music once it's done (optionally organize it properly)

Spotify
>install some proprietary program
>if you're an idiot like yourself, have trouble with it
>have to constantly waste bandwidth on redundant data (downloading same songs over and over again)
>not having local copies of songs to transfer to other devices
>can't use songs for things other than listening (video editing, creating ringtones, etc)

See, I can play your hyperbole game too.

bash on ubuntu on windows

>alien is a program that converts between Red Hat rpm, Debian deb,
I already did this earlier when I tried to use this: github.com/aspiers/opensuse-spotify-installer
libgcrypt.so.11 won't install and it won't run without it.

>How the fuck am I supposed to use a debian package on opensuse?

it's in the
>AUR

>>if you're an idiot like yourself, have trouble with it
>>have to constantly waste bandwidth on redundant data (downloading same songs over and over again)
>>not having local copies of songs to transfer to other devices
>>can't use songs for things other than listening (video editing, creating ringtones, etc)
Remove these as they're just commentary and are not actual steps to playing music.

So you'd have
>play music

>If there was a free alternative as convenient as Spotify then I would use it.
It doesn't need to exist one, and it will not exist one.

First, you don't need streaming. You can't exercise freedom if you don't have the audio files. When you stream, you are unable to edit and to copy, the streaming company owns your freedom.

Second, the copyright industry will force you to keep paying to them. They will not allow free software to stream their music, because this way they don't keep collecting their shekels. Remember, you are not helping the artists, you are helping the record industry. The same that causes trouble to your life, to the artists lives, and the WHOLE WORLD. Remember SOPA/PIPA/ACTA? Who do you think made these laws to destroy the internet? MPAA and RIAA. They are enemies. When you use Spotify, you are enslavering me.

I just did. Which security check? Verifying the file's hash? It does that. Even if it didn't, how is that related to Sourceforge?

>if you're an idiot like yourself
Please, don't call others "idiot" in the friendly thread.

>If there was a free alternative as convenient as Spotify then I would use it.
github.com/rembo10/headphones

I would suggest the debian reference, "Violent python" by TJ OConnor and "metasploit: the penetration tester guide"

>switching to a distribution just because some shitty proprietary software is packaged for it

You're even worse than him. Also for being one of those obnoxious "AUR is amazing, here look at my Arch screenshot" people.

Can't you see this violates your freedom? Have you at least read the terms of service AND privacy policy AND the source code? What this program really do?

It's paid by propaganda, so it needs to collect data about you. The real users are the propaganda companies, who buy information about you to sell you shit, like WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK

Proprietary software is malware. You are under surveillance.

I literally don't care as long as I can use my Spotify desu.

>>switching to a distribution just because some shitty proprietary software is packaged for it
he planned to switch to windows for this same reason

>When you stream, you are unable to edit and to copy, the streaming company owns your freedom.
That's just made up bullshit and it has nothing to do with free software freedom. Audio files don't fit under the same rules as software programs and the GPL (and other licenses) aren't suited to license music. Therefore those 4 basic software freedoms don't apply to music.

tl;dr: you're a pretentious idiot

Windows isn't a Linux distribution and out of scope of this thread.

I won't install arch just for spotify.
I will install windows for it, though.

*unsubscribes from blog*

thinking about going balls deep and replacing windows w/ kubuntu. give me some words of encouragment; games are bad, right?

don't do it Linux is shit and nothing works.

You sound like you have no valid reason to switch and that you're only doing it to appear cool. You'll have a bad experience and go back to Windows after 30 minutes and complaining about how "Linux shit sucks" on here or elsewhere.

What games? My games run mostly just fine

year of the linux desktop

lol, i've had linux on my laptop for over a year now and i think it's beautiful however i'm hesitent in regards to my main pc because i'm not sure if i can survive w/o games :/

using ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i input -filter_complex \
"select='not(mod(n,30))',scale=120:-1,tile=layout=3x2" \
-vframes 1 -q:v 2 output.jpg
Every "30" seconds a thumbnail on a "3x2" grid, customize it.

using imagemagick:
Look here: imagemagick.org/Usage/montage/

Mint is broken and insecure, Arch can end up bloated, use Debian

underrated

pervert

LoL

Linux is a kernel and it doesn't care whether it's run on a desktop, server or laptop.
Chromium is a web-browser and it has nothing to do with the Linux kernel.

Linux is why chromium is broken.

Should work, never played it myself though.

Best DE atm?

Best color atm?

Best girl atm?

The one I'm using ofc.

okay, i get the idea

>using as DE

Debian vs Ubuntu?

Debian=Ubuntu

I realise it's Debian based however they must each have their own advantages?

>Debian=Ubuntu
You sure are stupid.

Ubuntu has the advantage of being owned by Canonical, a Microsoft partner, who released the first spying GNU/Linux distribution Ubuntu Unity and loves to port Free Software to Windows 10, so people don't need to use GNU/Linux anymore.

>first spying GNU/Linux distribution

But it's better than Linux Mint, right? From a newcomer's view.

How do I kill stopped processes that aren't jobs?
Neither SIGKILL nor SIGTERM has any effect.

Both suck, but I'd choose Ubuntu.

-9 slaughters everything
pkill -9 firefox

I already said SIGKILL has no effect.

You're possibly using alien software which can only be stopped by alienkill.

Thank god for that. Windows 10 and Bash is match made in heaven.

Nah, I spawned the processes by forking and using execl(), I then used ptrace to attach into the process, retrieve something from virtually mapped memory and detached from the process. The problem is that detaching seems to have no effect at all making the processes permanently stopped and they cannot be killed anymore. God damn it, WinAPI was much nicer to work with in that one regard. With Linux it's arcane magic all the way down with some obscure documentation, I'll keep digging though.

>t. guy who's getting fucked buy a whole company of dicks

Maybe you should just go back.

Go back where?

Is it better to partition or do a "full install"? Since I'm a pleb that doesn't know Linux partition schemes yet

always partition.

what's a good/recommended/typical partition scheme for ubantoo 16? going to install it on my little netbook with a 500GB hdd and it'll be x86

Alright, I'll give it a try soon and report back in the thread with my results. Thanks for taking the time to do a compact summary/guide, it makes it seem much less overwhelming.

I normally push files to Android devices via my network using the Android ADB. However during my transfer using Arch Linux I noticed that my transfer speeds would drop down to around 500kbps up to around 2mbps when it shouldn't be dropping down below 3mbps for the most part. Normally when I do the same thing on Windows, it will dip to 4mbps from time to time but it would fluctuate between that and 16mbps.

Is there anything I'm doing particularly wrong here or is it drivers? I'm using a Thinkpad x230 and I would really love to use Arch but these slower transfer times make it really hard to make the full switch.

you should use a 512MiB /boot partition, and the rest is really up to you. you may want to have some swap, or you may not want to. you may want to seperate your root partition from your /home partition too, but i'd recommend:
/boot : 512MiB
swap: 2 GiB
/ : 40 GiB
/home : everything else

What's that :/ 40GB for? And why is it a blank no name?

/ is 'root', it stores lots of things so you don't want to make it too small, and if it fills up you will have big issues

At least they're doing it right. Linux fucks you raw and doesn't even have working drivers for new hardware, lol.

You might need more than that though. However that's a TL;DR version which should be most of the steps.

You should take a look at wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

And for a script, try looking at the example script here: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Complete_example_for_QEMU_.28CLI-based.29_without_libvirtd_.28can_switch_GPUs_without_reboot.29

Good luck! It should work out just fine.

What kind of RAM usage does screenfetch display?
It's not the same as in the used column from the output of the free command:
$ screenfetch -n -N -d mem; free -m
RAM: 1065MiB / 3011MiB
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 3011 992 213 4 1806 1847
Swap: 1922 16 1906

i think the free command treats cached memory as 'used' whereas system monitors / screenfetch does not

Trying to install debian. Cant though because nothing will boot. I used unetbootin.

Geez, if only there was a way to view the source of free software.

github.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch/blob/master/screenfetch-dev#L1324

It uses /proc/meminfo

>nothing will boot
... is not useful information.
You most likely didn't create a proper installation medium or you didn't enable booting from chosen medium in your BIOS/UEFI.

Trying to create the medium from Linux, Windows or macOS?

I use unetbootin on linux. I set correct drive to boot and i got just black screen. Im trying to install debian netinst

Just use dd.

This. Tesla is better in everyway yet toyota camry is still one of the most bought cars

>$(echo $(echo $(
the fuck am I reading
why people use this crap again?

Same question, wrong thread. Can someone help me out?

I am here to announce my love for linux, specifically Xubuntu which I've been using for a month now. Despite the screen tearing I am loving every moment with you. Your terminal is so sofisticated yet simple and powerful, your customizability is impressive, letting me shape you in the way I want is a delight.
I must admit though, I one day hope to move on and chase my true love, your older sister Debianca.

I found this line in the source:
usedmem="$(((($memtotal - $memfree) - $membuffer - $memcached) / $human))"

That should be actively used memory, right?

But that doesn't make any sense. Why doesn't it just say cached then?
htop displays used memory as in the free command.

I tied calculating actively used memory like they did it in screenfetch, but using the numbers from the free command:
3011 - 213 - 1806 = 992 (see )
and I get the same used memory from the output of free, which is obviously not 1065 (output of screenfetch).

So, the method used by free and screenfetch to get the used memory is exactly the same, yet the result is different?

I'm confused.
Can someone clarify this for me?

>Therefore those 4 basic software freedoms don't apply to music.
I did not say that 4 freedoms apply. Could you please stop using straw man fallacy? I said only "copy" and "edit". Those are Creative Commons freedoms.

Also, don't call people "idiot" on the friendly thread.

It's a meme

first reply is meant for

same thing

Is there a any good fan control method for fedora. gpu fan gets noisy at low rpms, In windows i'd just toggle auto/manual in catalyst then back to auto and it'd fix itself.
Tried lm_sensors and radcard.

Do I need a window manager to run feh? I'm using my raspberry pi to just display an image so I don't need a wm, but idk if feh works like that

RTFM and use dd or cp
cp debian.iso /dev/sdX && sync

Not that user, what's the difference between dd and cp?
Why do most people recommend dd instead of cp?
As far as I know, dd is a lower level tool and should basically do the same as cp in this particular case.

Not necessarily, but you will need X. A barebone wm would probably be your best bet. i would recommend dwm but feh can't into tiling WMs. this is where imagemagicks display comes in handy.

How do I list all the i386 packages installed on my computer using apt?

Not a WM, but it needs a running X-server

you can use dpkg for it, like this i think:
dpkg -l | less | grep i386

I really can't explain it as well as the manual (or the tldr if you got it installed). The reason to use cp instead is that it makes it impossible to fuck up anything. (And it is recommended in the debian installation manual)

Can someone explain what is going on here?
I'm curious to know.

Please, don't call people "stupid" on the FRIENDLY thread.

Thanks.

>want to be completely free
>trisquel
>2014
Ayy
Anyone use it?
Ill be trying it along with opensuse

I have a Windows client with FileZilla and I need to transfer some files over FTP from a Ubuntu server. What FTP client/package do I install on Ubuntu for speed and pause/continue and stuff?

Does emerald-decorator work with any manager other than compiz?

I tried, but it bugged 2 times due to my fault. So I don't want to try again. If it wasn't by wrongdoing, I would probably be using it.

hai fagotos

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Grsec

Please, don't call people this way in the friendly thread.

stallman is not a philosophically pure person. he follows his ideals when convenient, and ignores them or slightly alters them when the conflict isn't worth it.

stallman is an egoist in denial, afraid of admitting that he just wants some fucking source code instead of a world where he has to rely on other people because he knows he wouldn't get it that way.

his system has some practical merits but his attempts at creating moral justifications are completely pathetic and nonsensical. how low do you have to be to have to make up bullshit "oughts" when you can just say "it would be fucking better"?

retard

sry

How do I create the 512MB boot partition?

>creative commons freedoms
THere are CC licenses which don't grant you some of those things.
The vast majority of music isn't licensed under that license, therefore it doesn't apply, even if he doesn't use Spotify. The point still stands, your "freedoms" argument is invalid.

use a framebuffer image viewer, that way you don't need to run X

>not necessarily
>you need X
>then suggests X window managers

Way to contradict yourself.

that's a pretty shitty pasta.

I don't give a fuck who you are or where you live. You can count on me to be there to bring your fucking life to a hellish end. I'll put you in so much fucking pain that it'll make Jesus being nailed to a cross in the desert look like a fucking back massage on a tropical island. I don't give a fuck how many reps you have or how tough you are IRL, how well you can fight, or how many fucking guns you own to protect yourself. I'll fucking show up at your house when you aren't home. I'll turn all the lights on in your house, leave all the water running, open your fridge door and not close it, and turn your gas stove burners on and let them waste gas. You're going to start stressing the fuck out, your blood pressure will triple, and you'll have a fucking heart attack. You'll go to the hospital for a heart operation, and the last thing you'll see when you're being put under in the operating room is me hovering above you, dressed like a doctor. When you wake up after being operated on, wondering what ticking time bomb is in your chest waiting to go off. You'll recover fully from your heart surgery. And when you walk out the front door of the hospital to go home I'll run you over with my fucking car out of no where and kill you. I just want you to know how easily I could fucking destroy your pathetic excuse of a life, but how I'd rather go to a great fucking length to make sure your last remaining days are spent in a living, breathing fucking hell. It's too late to save yourself, but don't bother committing suicide either... I'll fucking resuscitate you and kill you again myself you bitch-faced faggot. Welcome to hell, population: you.

>wasting water, gas and petrol
for shame

You keep calling people "idiot" and "retarded". Why can't you be friendly? I will start ignoring you.

Use w3m. Made this little function for this purpose.
i3m() {
tput smcup
tput civis
w3m -X "$1" \
-o confirm_qq=0 \
-o ext_image_viewer=0 \
-o image_scale="$2"
tput clear
tput rmcup
tput cnorm
}
i3m pic.png [zoomlevel]

Where is the contradiction fellow unhelpful shiposter.

>>.56684339

Do I leave my free space blank here, make it /home or what...?

You dont need swap
Yes

>You dont need swap
kek

yes what?

That's why AUR is based, user

>cant hybernate
>run out of system memory
>linux has to start killing programs
>all to save ~ .4% of a drive

kill -9 youself

>arch

Hello /fglt/
I'd like to pick up something small to install a linux distro on and use while I'm not at my office. I'm lost when it comes to choosing a device. Should I go with a chromebook? Thinkpad? Powerbook g4? Pls no bully. What would you recommend under $200?

>Anything other than Arch

Why are Thinkpads the only option?

>hibernate, to disk
> swap is volitile
>your kernel has some shitty default config options
>your kernel has some shitty default config options

>swap
Not even once
If you have more then 1gb of ram, you dont need swap

>using a distro that doesn't respect my freedoms

Linus writes beautiful code. He has published some side projects that he wrote all on his own and the code is just wonderful. He also lives in the real world while still maintaining his open source ideals and supporting himself through his work.

RMS is basically a homeless loser who hasn't made any real contributions in the last 20 years. He is still super butthurt that Linux beet HURD (but hey, HURD just got basic sound support in 2016!) and basically tries to claim Linux because Linus used GCC and the GNU coreutils. He survives on the charity of others and speaking engagements where he spouts his insane, paranoid, philosophy. Basically he won't be happy until all the programmers are homeless hackers like him and all the companies are shut down. How people are supposed to support themselves and their families in that scenario aren't things he has to deal with because he is basically a permanent grad student. He does make some good points about privacy, but for him, there is no middle ground. Anything that may reduce your privacy even the slightest bit (like movie recommendations on Netflix) is evil according to him, and must be destroyed. In a lot of ways he show classic signs of mental splitting, which is a classic symptom of mental illness. To top it off, when he does write code, he does so in the style of the awful GNU style guide which is a crime against humanity IMHO.

So, in a nutshell:
He's a bird-fucking, self-absorbed, power hungry, toe jam eating pedophile that thinks everything should be free and everyone should be forced to share, who looks like he hasn't showered in years so as to create a static shield around his body to protect from aliens. He also created an OS without a kernel because he's basically Steve Jobs gone communist. Oh, and he calls himself doctor though he holds no PhD.

can w3m display images in a tty?

Nope, I also am using a shitty laptop for my personal server.

It's a dell laptop. Running Arch on an SDHC card. All it does is being a NFS server and a torrent box

>Implying you do

Without RMS, Linus' kernel would be stuck being a pet project like Temple OS.

How is MINIX going these days, good?

Yes.

>1996: Doctorate honoris causa from Sweden's Royal Institute of Technology

He actually holds one. He didn't really EARN it, but he has one.

>Nope, I also am using a shitty laptop for my personal server.

I didn't ask you a yes or no question.

someone answer me, please

>one
He holds about 20.

I should have said he holds several, but I digress.

>being an adult who realizes that no piece of software is going to materialize and physically harm me, and restrict my physical movements

You're on The Internet. You have no freedom with TCP/IP Stack, DNS,UDP standards of operation.

You're using a proprietary imageboard software
>Cred Forums.org/faq#software

no

You asked two questions

I remember this, this if /fglt/ OC.

>Wants tp pay belowr 200
>I don't want a shitty laptop

You have nice mental gymnastics skills

well, answer this so I know where to go from here

imagemagick, yep

>You're using a proprietary imageboard software
Well, you need to walk through shit to help people getting out of it.

>Why are Thinkpads the only option?
Implying it is

See

i did

A simple yes doesn't tell me jack shit

So only when it is convient for you?
What a hypocrite
You're just like stallman.
Grats?

>. You have no freedom with TCP/IP Stack, DNS,UDP standards of operation.
What

Not hard to get the source
gist.github.com/dvliman/11264471

RMS hasn't made any real contributions ever

If you can name a project of his, he was either an assistant to a real programmer, or just aping an "open source" (of questionable legality) project made by someone else.

Linus is a creative. He has designed his own systems, his own ways of solving problems. Stallman is an opinionated code money. Monkey see ls, monkey write monkey ls for the ape coreutils. Monkey see cc, monkey write mcc. Monkey find out crow is making text editor, monkey help crow out. Monkey find out other crow made similar text editor, monkey make near-exact copy and keep developing it long after crow has decided that the idea was fucking garbage. Then monkey doesn't know how to use any other software. Fucking retarded monkey.

>mental gymnastics skills
how autistic are you?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNU/Linux is in fact GNU. Linux is not part of the operating system itself, but is the kernel that is not covered by the naming system of an operating system as defined by common sense.

Many users run operating systems such as Windows, OSX, and a variant of BSD yet do not use a cumbersome naming system that includes the kernel, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, GNU has been the exception to this for no reason and has just been called "Linux" for no good reason, and many others use the insane, cumbersome term "GNU/Linux", mostly because the GNU project doesn't want you to think that Linux is a part of GNU.

There really is a Linux, and it's not part of GNU, but it's a kernel, and no one really specifies using it. GNU is the OS; the actual base system you interact with, and is useful with any compatible kernel; it can function with many different kernels such as GNU Mach or even kFreeBSD, so the whole system should only specify the kernel when it matters, because all these kernels are really irrelevant regarding GNU.

>Created Apr 24, 2014

I have windows 2000 source code leak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

He asks if he needs a window manager, you tell him he doesn't, but he needs to use X and a window manager.

>windows 2000was released this decade

Just because you can use X without a WM does not mean he has to recommend it.

>I got owned

Yeah source code that is nonfree, which had only a small portion of its code leaked, 2 years ago, is TOTALLY relevant to current environment.You dont have acces to current code, which is running on your brower right now. Moot/mook could embed tracking software, and you have no clue. Yet you're still here posting bout MUH FREEEEEEEEDUMBSSSSS.But when it comes time to actually apply MUUUUHHHHH FREEEEEEEEEDDDDUUUMMMBS,you throw them aside and disregard them so you can be part of the real world.

Go beg some niggers round the block for ramen money for your dinner
Keep being cucked this hard

How do I use X without a window manager

magic

>hating freedom
>not a cuck
pick one

this is what happens when a windows user switches to linux and wants things more cmd-ish.

So, not at all?

> Moot/mook could embed tracking software, and you have no clue
Tell me how I'm being tracked

It's surprising, when people like to sell Linux to others they laugh "get cucked winbabby" but when it comes to actually be free, they yell "get cucked stallmanist" - well, not really surprising.

>Don't start WM in your xinitrc
>Start whatever programm instead
>???
>WM-less X

must be magic

Hey Cred Forums, I have thought about making the switch over to Linux for a while now, every one always says it's so great. But I don't which distribution to choose. Which version of Linux do you use and why? Which version of Linux do you think I should use and why?

Ubuntu or Fedora, anything else is a hobby distro for the purpose of wasting time or a server distro not for desktop usage.

4.7.4-hardened-gnu

Using Linux Lite atm because why the fuck not?

Not like installing another distro will take me more than 5-7 minutes. I have all my snapshots/data in my external drive

Can either of those play muh emulators?

You can even run a single program just with X.
xinit /usr/bin/urxvt -- :1

Ubuntu it is.

So I'm running mint 18, and the only thing I can't seem to do is get swf files to work right. opening them with the browser just tries to download.
I can go to /f/ and everything works

When I used mint 17, I had to edit a mime file, but there isn't one on 18. Am I missing something?

occupyflash.org/

If one distro can do a certain thing, pretty sure the other distros can as well

lwn.net/Articles/676664/

fuck off, I have a collection of good ones I'm trying to play

gnu.org/software/gnash/

>flash
Enjoy your botnet.
Better get rid of Mint also.

>flash
Source of exploits and malwares. If you really gotta do it use Google Chrome

>

I think mpv can play them.

Are there emulators for Ubuntu? I also need IE.

->
-> ->

does it do interactive ones that hyperlink out to another webpage?
so it won't work right at all?
>get rid of Mint also
it's temporary. will build the desktop with windows again (muh games)
These are things I am very aware of. however, this problem is persistent across all browsers
mvp?

>will build the desktop with windows again (muh games)
lel

>*mpv could not be installed?

mpv is just a media player, nothing else. If you want to crop videos this ffmpeg is what you want.
ffmpeg -i source.mp4 -ss 00:00:00 -t 00:00:00 -vcodec copy -acodec copy splice.mp4
-ss start time -t time
source: askubuntu.com/questions/398704/how-do-i-crop-time-not-picture-an-mp4-video-file

mpv.io

that had nothing to say about my issue.

I do disagree with a great deal of what comes out of Richard Stallman's mouth, but the Free Software philosophy is, at its core, something to be adopted and encouraged. Software that does not respect the four freedoms is trivial to backdoor and compromise because nobody will ever know short of some massive leak. If everyone can view and contribute code, progress moves faster as a greater team of people with a greater motive to fix it are on the job (some random guy in india is not well-motivated to make sure that the americans have working software).

Basically, free software moves faster, is more secure, brings people together. Charging money for it is absolutely fine and even encouraged as long as the freedoms are still respected.

I'd gladly pay money for Free Software from a company I like and respect. Shit, I'd be on a Mac right now if it was FOSS and they stopped enslaving chinese children.

> it can't physically harm me
> hurr it can't hurt me

My web browser cannot physically pleasure me. Clearly it can't bring me any joy whatsoever.