Learning Programming

At a uni and we are learning through Ada 95 but for the life of me I can't seems to grasp it. Am I autistic or are there any tricks?

The trick is being autistic.

But senpai this is for a grade, my autism can only go so far

Do you know C++, if so can you help me?

Why didn't you start when you were 13 like everyone else? Learning everything from scratch once you get to uni sounds like a terribly hard way of learning how to program.

Rural school, everything Ik is self taught and rough af

>Why didn't you start when you were 13 like everyone else?
Not OP but I started CS this fall and most people there doesn't seem to have any earlier programing experience.

You're probably just bad at it. Some people can't understand programming for the life of them.

Give it time.

Most of them are going to fail, as is the case with all of STEM. You get a bunch of affirmative action admits and lazy faggots in the door, by semester number three they're all taking nigger history and arts classes just to get a piece of paper to cover over their ineptitude.

Obviously muh programming since birth shit is a meme, but it is true that if you go into a decent CS program with no prior knowledge at all you are going to be at a serious disadvantage. Nothing that can't be overcome with hard work and an above average IQ, but it will not be within the grasp of everyone, or even the average person.

I have heard that around 50% drop of, but there's more than that who hasn't done programing before(me included). The program is at the same pre-requirements as other engineering programs, but no programing skills is expected at us at the start. Well, we will see how it goes.
No entry by affirmative action admits here either.

Ada is a strange language. the DoD was very big on it and may still be--which would make you very employable. Is this your first language? If so, learn Python. It'll be quite a contrast.

If kids in the 70s could learn programming in basic, I don't think they need to resort to Python.

Riiight, BASIC teaches the best programming practices. Goto! I learned BASIC because it was the only language the OS provided.

Ada has very specialized goals and a unique syntax. I think it's cool that he's learning it in school, but another language to compare/contrast with might make it all more clear.

I'm just a firm believer that it's better to learn your first language very well then expand.

I started on my own with Python and understood it pretty quick. Ada isn't hard, it's the structure and different commands that kill me. Oh and I'm OP

>I have heard that around 50% drop of, but there's more than that who hasn't done programing before(me included).
I never said that it wasn't possible for those who haven't been programming before. Just that it will be harder and you will need to be smarter than average.

>No entry by affirmative action admits here either.
That's good. Affirmative action students drag down the average and cause all manner of entitled bitchfit problems in the classroom. You're in a good place. Best of luck to you.

I consider myself a very knowledgeable Ada programmer. What's confusing about the structure?

It's an intro class, picking what commands to pick for different things. I might make a throwaway email to ask you

I'm fairly busy so probably not friend. What are you learning from? A book, instructor lessons, the reference manual?

Combo of the Ada 95 book and instructor

programming is just math

there's always webdev though where all you do is write wrappers to oauth APIs.

I would suggest finding the 95 reference manual online. It's one of the best language standards I've ever seen. Memorize at the type attributes that are listed, there are only about 20.
Also, Ada is a very"engineer" language, so you may want to solve the problem on paper first, rather than writing code first.
Finally, use types. Declare ranges, subtypes, and enumerations constantly. This will drastically simplify functions and is also the main difference from Python.

Awesome advice and thanks a ton man. I'll recap in December and let you know that you saved my major.

Ada is actually a simple language, it uses Pascal style syntax. The reason that Ada might look complex is that it is overly verbose about type declaration. Once you get past the forced use modules then you'll see its fairly simple and straight forward.

Thanks for the help everyone, a mix of the RM, instructor and some experienced users is helping me to understand it more.

Do more than what is assigned in classes, my first language was Pascal and i didn't learn much until we had a major solo project to take on. So i hauled ass, loved it and now i can't see myself doing anything else.

I'm looking at trying to make my assignments less cluttered and more compact while still retaining readability. I'll start trying to make simple programs on my own. Thanks for the advice

It's weird that they're teaching 95. Come on mates, that standard is 20 years old.

The word has just lost all meaning at this point

>he thinks all programmers aren't inherently lazy dumbshits