Over the ear headphones

Exactly how good are these ?????
arigatou gozaimasu

It's a meme. The pads are shallow and awful, there's a fucking half ball in the driver touching your ear, cord is too short, move the headband an inch on your head and one of the cups flips over 3 times. They sound like shit too.

Get these instead.

thanks was undecided between the two.. but would like some more opinions too

Bass is high.

They are available everywhere, so try them and decide for yourself.

There is no decision. You have a shit colored headphone that has quality through the roof and then you have actual shit that's made to fall apart in a month with its awful plastic.

there's a special edition which is black

The faux leather on the headband is crumbling up real bad on mine. Dunno if it's because I greasy hair or if the band is terribad.

If there's someone who's used both that would be great.. only care about sound quality and highs..dont care about build

and what about the amplification requirement?

If you want good bass for EDM/trance music then the m50x is perfect. If you want to listen to all sorts of genres of music not requiring heavy amounts of bass and want a clear crisp listening experience then get the HD 598 like in .

I own both and theyre both really great for their respective functions.

have my m50 for 3+ years now and plastic is sturdy as hell.
The cord does bend, I had to change the pads and the headband foam is practically non existent but other than that they sound great and are still pretty comfortable.

what do i buy if i wanna listen to metal or guitar solos ?

unfortunately the plastic on these things breaks over time. ive had mine for a few years and it started cracking and falling apart until it eventually broke off completely. had to tape and superglue the shit. was pretty dissapointed with how easily the plastic ass shit broke.

They're OK. Pretty weak bass though (inb4 "but muh studio accurate boring frequency response")

Sennheisers

598 fucking sucks if you don't have a good amp to support it. Get the Beyerdynamic DT 990 instead

>amplifying headphones that aren't designed to be used with bass music

You're too autistic to live please kys.

I've used HD598s and suffered through the hell of having ath-m50s violating my ears
The m50s are crap. Garbage. Useless plastic weights. English can't even describe how much I hate them. They're built like normal DJ phones, durable and good looking, but the sound is trash, it's so horrible it's left me thinking audiotechnica as an entire company is shit.
The HD598s are good, really good but nothing special or mindblowing. But they sound 1000 times better than that piece of shit in the OP
I prefer DT880s myself

>what are ohms

And of course, if you're just listening to music casually, get a HARDWARE EQ, it'll make things sound so much better and really show you the other 50% of your headphones that isn't normally utilized by plain ass YouTube-ripped mp3s

while i don't exactly disagree with you, let it be said that you can get HM5/XPT100 pads for them and then it's all nice and comfy.

but then again, it's easier and better to just buy HM5 or XPT100.

I love mine. Quality can be too good though. When watching shows like American Dad or the Cleveland show I can literally hear the echo and reverb of the studio they're recording in. It's unsettling.

Consider not being a meme dropping 60-70$ on a decent pair of headphones or IEM's and move on with your day.

They're quite comfortable but this guy has a point. The cups are shallow and they get uncomfortable after about 1.5-2 hours of use. They don't heat up or sweat for me though like the felty Sennheiser cups do. They sound great when you listen to audio that was produced in a quality fashion but it emphasizes shitty quality audio. Rap is basically a no go because its all produced like garbage so look elsewhere if that's the case.

It's the ath-m50s that make things sound like crap not the source audio

Absolutely not GFY.

I sold my ath-m50s for $30 about 2 weeks after I got them. I would've rather sold them immediately but I wanted to see if burn-in was a meme or not (it didn't help them at all)
Only the worst kind of human scum or the most naive Jew-tricked dumbass would continue to use those headphones

What you see itt op is a bunch of autists that meme'd this headphone into popularity and are now rejecting it b/c they're too common now.

They're still one of the best bang-for-your-buck cans around.

I've always fucking hated ath-m50s and I've been shitposting and spreading the good word on how absolute trash they are, wherever I see them shilled for over 2 years

>best bag for your buck
>Literally dozens of good hearphones starting at ath-m50 price
There is NO excuse for strapping those dog turds to your head

>llow and awful, there's a fucking half ball in the driver touching your ear, cord is too short, move the headband an inch on your head and one of the cups flips over 3 times. They sound like shit too.

The m50's are great especially if you upgrade to some velour pads rather than the leather ones that come stock. it sounds like this guy has cerebral palsy so dont listen to him. anyone who cant put on a normal pair of headphones clearly has something going on.

btw the only difference between the hd598's and the hd558's would be the colour and materials. so yes, they may be more comfortable but they have the exact same drivers so they are going to sound the same.

why would you need an amp for the hd59's?

They sound the same but that's still miles and miles better than the old man in a tin can m50's

ITT: autists who know nothing about audio argue back and forth about m50's and 598's

Pure shit. They clamp like hell. The build quality is pretty nice. The earpads suck. Different earpads will change the quality of the sound for the worse. I have the original M50. Get the NVX XPT100 instead, they are so comfortable and the earpads are some of the best you'll find on a headphone in terms of comfort. Your ears shouldn't heat up with these headphones. NVX XPT100 is also more neutral and not v-shaped to the M50 which makes it way more soothing to listen to.

The build quality of the NVX XPT100 has it flaking the matte finish it has on it in some places but other than that it seems pretty good.

Or you could look at the AKG K553 pro. I haven't tried it but i've heard good things about it.

The M50/M50X really wouldn't be that bad of headphones if they didn't crush your head everytime you put them on.

tin man in a can? if anything the m50's have a prominent bass range, which you can see in the freq response. not once have I ever put those things on and thought "the highs are to loud". This though, can be said about the sennheiser 558's and 598's. with a flatter bass and mid range relatively to the m50s, the 598's come with a harsh high range from like 3kHz onwards.

>plastic is sturdy as hell
Case 1

case 2

CLAMP
L
A
M
P

You're not going to convince me that they're anything but utter dogshit.
If you're curious specifically on what frequencies make me feel like they're worthless:
>sub bass: not there, as expected
>bass: artificial, compressed, and somehow still lacking
>mids: just fuck my shit up, heres the old man with diarrhea in a tin can
>mid-highs: crystal clear, but very unbalanced, very abrupt change from lower mids and highs
>highs: good enough, but at this range most headphones are
>higher highs/harmonics/HPF's: not there, which cuts down on sibilance but is inherently shit
>sibilance: yep, it's right there, it's loud, overpronounced and it's awful
They're hefty headphones, and they are "clear", but the frequency response is worthless and marketing these as studio headphones is an embarrassment to audiotechnica
I will never buy a product from them again, and I'm not a petty fuck. They had to REALLY hand me a piece of shit for me to say something like that. I'm sure audiotechnica can do better, but I'm not going to risk that when I already know plenty of headphones that are good

The only people who buy ATH M50s & M50Xs are plebbitors with no taste in music and have np understading of soundstage. There are better headphones in the 100-200 usd range that offer better sound and build quality than whst you get with a shitty jap Beats clone. These headphones are used by kids at uni who think they are better for using a headphone that has no soundstage and overbloated bass. They are essentially Beats with a "so nerdy skin" slapped on and there is an effect to newaudiofags that what they are listening to is good sound. Disgusting.

I always thought they'd be better as DJ headphones, where how they look matters and how they sound does not
Because they do isolate, you can hear a thump for your fucking cues, they do flip out like all the cool kids.
They just sound like fucking trash

Thats the idea behind them. But even then, they still suck at that purpose.

AND THEYRE STILL SHILLED.
I'd like to think of myself as the anti-meme, helping people avoid bad headphone decisions across the Internet for years

>soundstage
>real

I remember seeing a headphone guide posted on here years ago that claimed that ATH M50s were the perfect urban headphone. As someone who has seen someone wear them at a gym, I was irrated by the idea that someone would wear """audiophile"""" headphones to work out.

Even the memest of audiophiles can agree that cheap, disposable in-ears are the shit for outside listening

What the fuck do you do with your headphones? I've dropped mine from my desk like 50 times and they're always worked.

sounds stage is real, but It only applies in real life. headphones arent a "real life" representation of how sound stage. This means it applies to things like speakers and actual fucking stages.

what would you recommend then? honestly curious.

Whats with all the hate on M50s now? I'm sure something better for around $100 exists but they're not bad headphones at all.

>Whats with all the hate on M50s now?
It's one dude who does nothing but post on Cred Forums about how shitty they are in every thread that's remotely relevant. He's been here for a long time.

>It's one shill
FTFY

I've actually been in /hpg/ for about 2 days, but I've been downtalking the meme to anyone considering such a horrible choice for 2 years

I literally don't understand they literally sound on par or better than the Sonys and Senns I've tried in the $100-$200 price range, a little bit of extra bass but why is everyone so obsessed with having a perfectly flat frequency response, you fuckers aren't mastering audio tracks or anything enjoy your fucking music..

epic anime meme dude upvoted lol owo

>ATH-M50s
>"studio headphones"
I wouldn't be so pissed of they marketed them alongside skullcandys and $30 JVC shits

Is it literally that bass bump you're autisming over?

I explained in thorough detail why the frequency response is so abysmal (you can find the longer rants on headfi) but yes, when it comes down it, it is the sound quality that makes them so shit. They are chunky hunks of plastic but they are no good for making sounds, which I THOUGHT was the reason people buy headphones

>Cred Forums about how shitty they are in every thread

lol, what experience do you have with audio other than trying out a couple different headphones? as the other user said, you probably arent mixing or mastering, and if you were you would be a fucking moron for doing it on HEADPHONES.

intense daberoni

I actually bought my first real monitors a few years ago shortly after getting PTSD from the M50's. I've tried out maybe 6 different headphones since then as well as two set of monitors (because I am mixing and mastering) and I firmly stand by my butthurt.

>goes on headfi
>posts on headfi
>headfi
>"I explained in thorough detail why the frequency response is so abysmal (you can find the longer rants on headfi"

all you did was briefly describe your subjective views of the frequency ranges

this

"sub bass: not there, as expected
>bass: artificial, compressed, and somehow still lacking
>mids: just fuck my shit up, heres the old man with diarrhea in a tin can
>mid-highs: crystal clear, but very unbalanced, very abrupt change from lower mids and highs
>highs: good enough, but at this range most headphones are
>higher highs/harmonics/HPF's: not there, which cuts down on sibilance but is inherently shit
>sibilance: yep, it's right there, it's loud, overpronounced and it's awful"

is not objective

what monitors do you use? probably some krk rokits and a scarlett 2i2 ya dumb bitch

Audio Engineer here, I work at The Knitting Factory in Brooklyn just about full-time.

Come down and ask for James. We used these headphones exclusively since last year.

Anyone who says otherwise and doesn't have the experience of working in a studio.live environment is shitting you. They are the best you can get sub-$400.

And it's my word against what? Some other rando that says "I got ath m50s and there good headphone so you need to buy them"
I'm not here to convince you of their objective standing against other inch-long speaker drivers, I'm here to tell you that from a subjective view, someone who has used real monitors and more than one pair of headphones on his life (because most people buying M50s haven't), that they are 100% shit for sound quality. That there is absolutely no excuse for buying and using them.
If you want to fuck yourself over $100+ then upgrade to real headphones in 2 weeks when you get sick of them then go for it, I'm just here to cut out the unpleasant step

I used to have the classic yamahas, but good comfy mackies right now and a piece of shit alesis audio interface that I admittedly should've upgraded months ago

>Exactly how good are these ?????
Good. For the price, probably unbeatable.

You should come back and post this in 8 hours when that one sad user with a hateboner for them gets tucked in and stops shitposting.

I work at the knitting factory in Boise and you're using shit gear

gfy?

This is why I do this, because the 99% of people reviewing these have likely never heard anything past their laptop speakers or are literally letting popularity override their ears
There's plenty of $100-200 headphones that we can all agree are good, but not the m50s

When i used my ath-m50s, that's the kind of disappointment I don't want anybody to experience

>There's plenty of $100-200 headphones that we can all agree are good
we have no need to agree with YOU, that's the part you're not getting here.

My masters degree in audio fucking engineering and job at a concert space trumps your 24-year-old experience with 3 headphones on an ipod. sorry bby.

My knitting factory sound > Your knitting factory sound

Go fuck yourself

>pops in right after

like pottery

wow rude, all i did was ask a question and then you fucking just had to be an ass about it.

Well then you should make the next OP and then archive the thread immediately because you're the only one capable of having opinions on headphones

I just bought some m50x's last week and I'm expecting them any day now. Will they literally be worse than my last pair ($40)? This one user has me all freaked out.

having been involved in audio production for 15 years with real world vinyl output m50x's give you a nice flat neutral sound that you want when mastering. Most of Cred Forums doesn't know shit about audio and talk out their arse.

GFY means go fuck yourself, buddy.

HS8's ? also, mackie is shite.

If you're expecting sound quality then probably.
If you want durable, aesthetic, super clear-sounding shitnoise to be flowing into your ears then they're fine.
Also it depends on what $40 headphones you have now, it's actually a tough call since there's so many decent $40 headphones that might beat the $100+ ones

it's obviously bait, buddy.

masters degree in audio engineering ? what ?
where the fuck did you get that?

ITT Tech

They are (were) JVC HA-RX 700s. Busted now, but I really enjoyed them considering I didn't know any better. You sure hate the m50x's though, if you were in hpg when I was posting I may have changed my mind.

Just get some Superlux HD668b's. 60 syrupbux on amazon and they're pretty dank.

damn nigga, how much did you spend on tuition and how long was the course ? honestly curious.

I do hate them. I wish I just got a bad pair but they were too consistent for me to believe. Maybe I'm an asshat but I just did not like them in any way whatsoever and hated the fact that so many people do. Maybe you're one of the 95% of people who thinks the m50's are fucking godsent but I just do not like them, I can not like them
HS7 I think, the mackies were on sale and they're okay I do like them, but theyre too small (6" I think?) to handle all the frequencies at once and I will be getting new ones sooner or later, specific things start to get toned down when they get turned up

I like everything about the ath-m50s except the frequency response. They're really clear, a good price, good looking and tough plastic, but the sound quality is just a flat-out deal breaker. It's unacceptable.
For hearing footsteps in games or cues for songs it's clear and it works, but for mixing or getting just the right frequencies and tones it's unusable

Should I pull the trigger on some DT770 80s for £100?
My HD 202s are going to be easily beatable regardless

What ohms? If it's not 250 you're fine, do it

Its 80 my dude

sumimasen

i have M50 and Q701 and AD700
I use the M50 most of the time because the other two have no fucking low end.

the Q701 is the best when i have a hardware EQ between it and the source though, by far.

if you go M50 do yourself a solid and get fabric pads. much more comphy.

whats wrong with them if they're 250?

Sound like a diff headphone

low volume from most sources. probably need to get amp.

Trigger pulled, thanks user

They need MAXIMUM POWER, like a mixing desk or a dedicated amp
There's a possibility the sound quality could be better because it's pushing a more powerful signal through more resistant speakers but in reality it's just another fucking compatibility issue to deal with

So if i'm buying any decent headphones, aim for

>The "M" in "M50X" stands for "meme" and you still fell for it.
-user

30 is low, 100 is medium, 200 is high.

Yeah for sure, like my 80 ohms can be powered by my phone at max volume it's fine but it's still not super loud.
On the other hand, powered by my audio interface it'll only go to half volume before they start sounding like they're too loud or distorting
I used to have some 280ohm headphones and they were super quiet, but on the bright side I could use the full volume output of the mixer
But for most cases high ohm basically means they'll just be quiet when used on a phone or something low-output

meme

Get the AKG 553 Pro.

Agreed

Love em so much

My G430 is pretty good to be honest

Agreed, simple design and amazing sound, and it might have the comfiest pads I've used

Strong comfy and good sound
Cant go wrong on these
A pair of beyers are a must have if you like headphones

differnece in 80ohms vs 250ohms sound wise? Is it worth the extra power?

I love my 80ohms thats all I can say
If its your first pair go 80 if you have a few headphones and an amp go 250 if you are mobile go 32

I have an audio interface but I'm not sure it works well as an amp, is the 80ohms still going to require a lot of power?

It's literally more of a compatibility issues if anything. If it even was a big enough deal the advantages would only be in signal-noise ratios, 80 ohms are fine for motherboard/DAC output stuff, 250 ohms are fine if you have the high output equipment