ITT: things that make you cringe/angry at your job

ITT: things that make you cringe/angry at your job.

This just happened to me
>have to implement a feature that for some reason wasn't implemented with a previous ticket
>implement said feature, notice that some things can be refactored
>notify dev team that the name of a function and request parameter key has changed, and that they need to change this respectively in their parts
>they start complaining about too much work to refactor and test
>changing a variable name and request parameter key
>too much work to refactor and test

This shit took me literally 2 minutes to bulk search and replace, test, and notify them that nothing breaks

>hurrdurr we still won't change it

How do I deal with this kind of autism, Cred Forums? Should I look for a new job? Why are they too fucking incompetent to do something that takes literally 2-3 minutes of their time?

They forced me to use two functions that do exactly the same (one calls the other), just for their comfort. I can't deal with this shit...

>pic sort of related

>busy as hell, deadline rapidly approaching
>Jim just got called out in front of the entire team for closing an incomplete ticket
>extremely stressful, upper management breathing down our necks
>our senior dev quit last week despite the fact that he was our go to
>flu goes around the office
>everybody catches it, nearly the entire dev team is hit hard
>those who are sick are working remote today
>just me and the intern in the office
>he always talks about some cartoon on the television, but today he's remarkably silent
>he looks a little frustrated but I have to focus
>give him Jim's old ticket because it's mostly finished and the rest is easy
>tell him to roll over if he has any questions
>get completely focused, pushing feature after feature
>maximum zen mode
>just about ready to merge major feature
>intern literally starts barking
>startled by this and spill coffee on my keyboard
>a little annoyed but I'm an adult, I calm down
>he's reached a point halfway between barking and shrill screaming
>gently ask him if he is alright
>y-yYOU FUCKING REFACT-t-t-ER NOW
>he's screaming about refactoring something
>nobody else in the office so I can't tell someone else to take care of it
>can't calm him down
>give up and look at whatever he's screaming about
>screen shows some old code that we discussed in the meeting today was being tossed anyway
>apparently he spent the entire day refactoring it
>I FINISHED YO-oU REFACcTER NOWW
>his face is a deep red, veins pulsing
>starts to rise out of his chair
>slowly step back, afraid for my safety
>quickly run out the door and call the cops
>hear him screaming about quitting on the other side of the door

Deal with it. Youre working for your boss. If you don't agree, talk to him.

If he wants it changed, he will change it. If he doesn't, go do your fucking job. He must have a reason for this, and you don't need to know everything.

Except that it isn't my boss, they are my co workers. Actually, my boss follows my advice most of the time, but he's out of the country for business reasons.

Your boss is always right. This is the golden rule, even if he isn't right (which he won't be, most of the time), just do what he says. If shit breaks then he can't place the blame on you since he's the one who takes all the decisions and you get to do more pointless work and get paid for it. Win/win.

my sides

what a slave mentality that is. literally the only reason to do what you recommend is if you're powerless, poor, and not working on anything important.

Read

That's literally how every job in the planet works. You're working under him, that's the entire idea, you do as he says. If you don't like it then open your own company or something.

Yeah, I didn't read that at first.

>If shit breaks then he can't place the blame on you since he's the one who takes all the decisions

Hahaha, only in your world
mate

If your boss is dense and argues that it's still his fault, then show him that you just did everything the way he asked. He'll be powerless, he won't be able to complain.

This is why i hate capitalism

You might think it's a slave mentality but there has to be a chain of command to get things done or else arguments will never be settled, and arguments take time. To accomplish a task you need organization and a chain of command. After you have that yes it's better to have a leader that knows what he's doing and takes what his employees are saying into consideration.

Also in communism you still have to have a leader or someone to organize shit you dumbfuck.

not job but uni, simillar thing

>wanna be programmer to make games
>go comp sci
>fucking maths
>all programmers i know never use maths
what the fuck, academic system is literally fucked

>That's literally how every job in the planet works. You're working under him, that's the entire idea, you do as he says. If you don't like it then open your own company or something.

Nope. My team and I can tell our boss to go suck a fat one regarding any engineering decisions and he's absolutely powerless to do anything. This is because the product of our work is more important than him, despite him being the one who manages the business and incepted the company.

2/10 made me reply

its true tho, why are university degrees so high-value when they're only really necessary for becoming a teacher/going into academia
i won't need maths ever in fucking real life, why the fuck study it? i dropped it in early HS, it's literally unnecessary academic filler, i got a calculator ffs.
Sure i guess 1% of the time you may need maths programming but not on this level

>developer sends email to manager complaining the database hardware isn't good
>I run a profile
>loading the _landing page_ as an anonymous user on this clusterfuck of an app runs eight fucking hundred SQL queries
>Explain to boss
>Boss "understands"
>Boss demands faster hardware for developer
>Deploy nvme SSDs and move database onto it
>Website still shit
>"Everyone knows databases don't perform with the log files on the same disk"
>Everyone looks down on me
>Put a second fucking nvme ssd in and move log files
>Still shit
>everyone looks around confused

To any kids reading this, that post is why you should stay in school.

wtf I hate capitalism now

That's a different story, your boss is more capable of handling the business side of things, he's the contractor or whatever. Being the boss doesn't have to imply that you know the most about the job or the product, just that you have the funding and the resources to get things going.

>wanna make games
>hates maths
>"math is a filler"
>"I've got a calculatot"
>"fuck maths"
Ooooooooooo boy good luck with your future if you think mathematics is a 'filler'

Unless you wanna make text based mystery thriller jRPGs in the year 2050, then be my guest.

Maybe you should actually look up the definition of "computer science" you fuckin retard

>This shit took me literally 2 minutes to bulk search and replace, test, and notify them that nothing breaks
>2 min

You are doing it wrong OP and likely you are surrounded by idiots. Unless you are the only company in the world that actually has test-driven development working properly.

> Everyone knows databases don't perform with the log files on the same disk
But user, that's bullshit.
Try optimizing the database engine, most things can be done in RAM.

>1%
>t. My underage asshole

You can give up on any form of programming now. Just go into logistics or something.

OP here, same thing goes for us. Our boss tells us what the application needs, we decide the rest and (try to) finish the application within our given timeframe.

In this case, we are way behind schedule (they already were before I started working here, with my arrival the development speed at the very least doubled), and I noticed a fuckton of issues with our front-end angular2 project. I notified my boss and my co workers that it's shit, and one of my co workers started complaining that I was making it seem bigger than it was:
>use Angular2/Ionic for front-end app
>co worker mostly used Angular 1 standards
>when I started here, the code wasn't working and they spent over a week trying to figure out what caused it
>they then went on holiday, the week before I started
>I took a quick look, and it literally said in the stack trace that a dependency was missing
>check dependency imports, and they forgot to check capitalization, so I fixed it within a few minutes
Fast forward a week or so
>listen *co worker's name*, your code is shit, we need to refactor almost everything, our boss already knows about this
>co worker: you're exaggerating (and implying my code is shit)
>I notify boss, he calls my co worker and scolds at him for saying shit like that
>literally rekt
>boss decides I'm in charge of most of the application workflow (reassigned from web dev to application & business logic)

This was all before what I said here Working here for a month and a half now, and holy shit do I see so many things that need to improve overall.

Gonna start building our front-end from scratch next week, as we need to make sure our demo for this week works fine.

i know quite a few programmers, they don't use maths much, except for security systems, and vidya engine development/3d graphics etc
still, they don't use maths to this retarded level it's taught here holey shit.
Maths applied to computing should be taught at the higher level than university, phd etc
maths are absolutely unnecessary, it's only logical.

>not working on anything important

so long as you are working for someone else, you aren't working on anything important. you are working for your boss' or employer's benefit, not your own.

You should move onto how uni degrees shouldn't require English or social science classes too or realize that tech school is for you.

You ever wonder why tech school graduates are superior for 2 years compared to their uni equivalent? Maybe you should

yeah, well i gotta go to uni anyway now, maybe i'll find an IT related course that is less maths intensive switch to that, then go to tech school of some sort

you don't gotta do anything. Why would you burn money like that if you don't plan to finish?

already been paid for one year, money's already gone, i gotta give it a try at least

How do i get into computer science
>low level education college
Willing to learn but really where to start ?

I can't believe how sheltered you must have been in your life. WAKE UP

>not thinking maths is needed for anything other than maths means you're sheltered
off my board fag

I'm gonna take the bait and tell you that math is a valuable tool for problem solving. Concepts like matrices are a must to know when making proper video games.

>All programmers I know never use maths
>never
They are not what you should consider programmers.

is it possible to be too dumb for cs?

It's hip as fuck right now, everyone and their parents is entering computer science nowadays.

This hurts.
Look up Combinatorics. Literally is how-to-algorithms: the class, but requires calculus+ math skills.
And in case you forgot: programming is like 50% implementing algorithms, unless you're planning to web dev or some shit like that, in which case you shouldn't be in school for programming.

Also consider: once you are actually in the field you will be actively researching and learning new things every day, most of which you will never need to know again. You will rarely ever have the knowledge necessary to completely code a program without needing to resort to researching. bare in mind most of the time you're creating programs for other people, not for yourself. You probably wont know everything they know in their field.

So if you're too thumb-in-your-ass to learn Math because you think it's useless to learn something you'll never use again, then programming isn't the right career path for you.

>never use again
>math

user, what world do you live in? Math is by far one of the most valuable skills a person could have in today's world.

>in the army
>have to do work on a work computer
>mandatory online training all the fucking time
>all of it uses flash
>the only browser we have is IE9.
>flash is disabled
>no admin rights to install IE9 flash
>have to install firefox, DOD root certificates, and flash player for good browsers (which for some reason doesn't require admin rights)
>every single fucking automatic update removes all of it.

But at least I'm known as the company computer god because I found a javascript exploit in SSD1 and got the whole platoon through it in a week.

It's because it's one of the only jobs you can do in the US

You will suck at making models
you will suck and creating physics
you will suck at lighting
you will suck at 3d
you will suck

if you don't do math

You can still be a good programmer without knowing a ton of maths, but for anything graphics related you probably will need to be good at math. I know a guy who only designs applications and his knowledge of math is barely above high school level. The more you need to deal with geometric shapes and representing data, the more you'll need to know math but it's not absolutely necessary in most fields.

>get great specification documents
>"oh wow finally we can have some decent software design!"
>some retard changes one tiny line at the most basic technical level of specifications on which everything rests
>he doesn't even understand because "wow it's just one line guys!"

Literally just now, some retard thought it'd be a good idea if our server software which simply replies to business requests, and rejects invalid requests by specifying a list of error, should now partially accept some of them but return a different set of errors in this case.

I just broke the request decoder class, server class, data verification class, error reporting class, and every single other thing on the way just to allow this fucking retarded idea.

You don't seem to comprehend how much math is used everywhere. It's not just "geometric shapes and representing data". You shouldn't treat programming that requires math as some sort of small subset of all programming jobs. Rather, you should treat programming jobs that don't require math as a very strange, temporary phenomenon where people who don't know really know what they're doing manage to get a job because they were at the right place at the right time and were relatively good at following instructions.

Except that unless you have proof everyone higher up will trust him.

>your boss tells you to do something
>you do it
>somebody else won't do their job

Repeat after me: "I don't get paid enough to deal with this." Then kick it back up the chain of command.

I'm seriously about to fly to my boss and tell him all the shit they said just now

>hurr you need to change it back
Few hours later
>hurr you broke it, fix it!
Not even an hour later
>hurr they are angry at you for causing such a major bug
I tell him I suggested a staging server for beta testing a few weeks ago
>hurr I don't remember you talking about that, and it was the lowest priority then
>about to release beta
>staging server for the beta is the lowest priority
Lmao yeah okay, and to imagine that I'm the youngest on this team...