1 month into CS now

> 1 month into CS now
> 20,000 $ student debt piling up
> still haven't programmed a single Video Game yet

s-soon they'll teach us, right? Right?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2014/01/02/us/loan-monitor-is-accused-of-ruthless-tactics-on-student-debt.html
un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Get rich or die studieng cs

user, you should own a successful start-up by now...

>muricans have education debts
i lol'd

>implying your european father isn't paying taxes to pay for paki education

Ur in there for the wrong reason.
Study cs so u can find socially awkward people to become frends with. Then let them develop your ideas

Do you really need a degree in computer science if you want to take programming seriously?

Yes and later the Paki pays taxes for the education of others.
An educated populace benefits the entire country.

My country is based, so i don't have them. :^)

>programming

programming is done for 5$/hour by indian codemonkeys who use stackoverflow to find solutions

networks and virtual machines is where the money is at

that's a postgraduate course user, finish your bachelor degree first

>and later the Paki pays taxes

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

>americuck gets butt explosion

Education here are free. ha. ha. What is debt?

>Paki pays

Holy fuck that's a good one.

>((free))

Well for me at least. 100% subsidies.

>Education here are free
And yet you still can't put together a sentence. Impressive.

what the fuck are you talking about? lol

>networks and virtual machines
Sounds boring as shit

nah it's cool and pays me well

I'm European and you're pants on fire retarded.
>inb4 Cred Forums

kys.

I don't see how that's worse than debt.

In Germany you can quite literally get payed to go to university.
Of course you pay more taxes but that is better then starting your working life with $100000 in debt and having to sell your house if you need to buy a drug.

Jesus christ, the structure of that OP is like I am on /fit/. Just replace CS with SS and programming with lifting.

>immigrants paying taxes
nigga they send that money back home. immigrants are a drain on the host nation big time. I know for Ecuador one of it's largest economic contributers are Ecuadorians in America sending money there. Fuk they use the US dollar as its own currency.

>20,000 $ student debt piling up
1 semester in and you're already $20,000 deep?

I did 3 semester before deciding it was a waste of my time and money, only owed about $7.5k.

All paid off now.

How is that different, tho? You get to pay high taxes for your entire life, instead of paying for what you decide is adequate in your particular situation?

I want the poor but intelligent kid to go to University for my own sake, and that of my children.
I want some people to major in arts and music even if it's a net loss for the economy. Culture is dumb enough already. Pic related, Type 0. We need more education in cultural topics.

Just you wait until you get your first video game job or whatever. Low pay, high hours. Might as well kys now if you expect to be happy, successful, and have money programming vidya.

/thread

>Going to college to learn how to computer
U dun goofed m8

Poor people get more financial help that anyone, tho. They are just too dumb to realize it, and fill out a few forms.

Should've self taught

how do i deal with the amount of maths in CS? i never done maths before, but i wanna try anyways

>7.5k
>All paid off
When I was 17 I had already saved up 15k
Do kids not work anymore these days?

Khanacademy.

How can kids get jobs when 20% of 18-25 year olds are unemployed or underemployed? All the low level jobs are taken by the art students and other bachelor degrees who cant find something better.

Not to mention all the 40+ year olds with a family and 2 kids who lost their job in the 2008 recession and are working a low level job just to make ends meet.

Most hiring managers will take the 40 year old with a family over some high school snot nosed punk, even if that job has usually been the territory of highschoolers in the past.

>Another "b-b-but I jus wanted to maek gaymes" CS """student"""

why else would you go into CS lmao?
it's to program applications or games, to have that skill and to get a job using that skill, vidya is big now, it's only logical. Shame the educational system does not understand this

>gaymes
>big

I never understood this I can't find a job meme.

If you say "I can find a job to my liking" or "I can't find a job for what I studied" then that's certainly possible. But there are literally thousands of jobs for unskilled. Yeah, they might not be particularly fun but if you're a teenager money is money.
I did all kinds of stuff. Gardening, food catering, baking fries, restocking shelves at the supermarket, ect...

>vidya is big now
The problem is most of the ground work has been done, and the majority of low level programming will be automated in the next 15 years.

Unless you can theory craft and think up new methods to implement things you wont have a job.

They don't need code monkeys, they have tens of thousands of them for a dime a dozen.

nigga it's a multi-million industry tho, and nowdays anyone can make a few hundred bucks barely knowing java by making some shitty indie game, it's perfect, like music through bandcamp, independence and availability on the internet makes it easy
i'll be dead in 15 years so it's k

Then why bother with school at all? You wont even be done paying off your loans if you plan on being dead in 15 years.

damn that must be some loans if it takes 15 years to pay them off
i won't have much really, i'll only need to rely on loans within third year of my course, by then i should have some job opportunity cuz you get an employment year for exp and you can get a few contacts there and maybe they'll hook me up, i dunno,

>
>>vidya is big now
>The problem is most of the ground work has been done, and the majority of low level programming will be automated in the next 15 years.
>Unless you can theory craft and think up new methods to implement things you wont have a job.
>They don't need code monkeys, they have tens of thousands of them for a dime a dozen.

In all honestly this will happen in IT in general everything will be automated your best bet is to be a programmer even sysadmin/netadmin will become less and less.
Everyone is pooring into IT and the bubble will bust after awhile

Except nobody is gonna pay for your shitty indie game, because there are millions of other shitty indie games. You're not gonna be able to pay your bills with that. You're 7 years to late.

Unless you're doing it for portfolio work so you can get an actual job in the game industry. But then why are you bothering with a degree in the first place?

If you're at 20k per semester, assuming you just get a 4 year degree and the price doesnt go up, you're at 160,000k in debt.

Even if you get a 50k/year job right out the door, you're probably only putting ~$6k per year (~$500 per month) towards your loans, depending what kind you got they might have some decent interest rates, but that will depend. Right now subsidized loans for undergrad are 3.76%.

So assuming all of this, it would take 25 years to repay your loans and you'll have paid right around $280,000 total.

wew what
20 k per semester
that's fucked
more like
£12k per year

At this point it be cheaper to study somewhere in Europe. I don't get why murricans don't come here.

If I ever moved America and had a kid Id send them to Europe for sure.

The OP post says 1 month in and 20k in debt, so i'm assuming he's getting a 20k loan every semester since that's how loans are disbursed in the US.

oh yeah, i don't get why it's so expensve to study in US

Corruption.

Student loan debt outweighs US credit card debt.

Honestly no. If you're good you're good. But it helps get your foot through the door and other formalities. Fir example if you want a promotion to say head programmer/manager or raise a company will say no unless you have a degree.

You know what to do.

>4th year CS, graduating next year
>professors don't teach shit, just the basic outlines of a topic
>TAs are fob pajeet grad students
>books somehow manage to be less instructive and even more theoretical than the lectures
>coast by on the fact that all the problems we're required to solve have been solved before already and I just have to understand the methodology
>every day I feel like I'm stagnating further and further
If it weren't for the fact that I already have a job with an offer, I'd probably kill myself, desu family. Every day I fantasize about going on a killing spree. It's a miracle I haven't done anything stupid yet.

>tfw when free college for the middle class
>tfw monthly grant for students whose family don't have the disposable income to adequately fund their education

Because paying those taxes never causes you to go into 20-100k debt

Give it another try, you'll hack the planet in time.

>1 month into computer engineering
>0€ debt
>literally the first assignment was to make a game in groups of three

Living the life mane

>Gardening, food catering, baking fries, restocking shelves at the supermarket, ect...

all done by robots in 5-10 years.

+1. The games industry will eat your hopes and dreams for breakfast and spit out a disheveled wreck of a burnt out human. If you had a chance at indie success you'd already be making games by yourself.

It's probably the worst sector in computing, quality-of-life wise.

Type-V is just static

Try 50 years
Its still cheaper to pay someone minimum wage doing that shit than spending 200k on robots not including maintenance fees and up time costs

>college debt

>groups
disgusting

US education is fucked up. If you want the best universities you need the best grades and the best loans but here you only need the best grades and they actually pay you. There's some schools where you can get 2k€/month for that.
And if you go for a regular univ, there's some very good too, if you don't have money or rich parents you get grants and cheap apartments.

That being said, with internet today taking on a degree is pretty dumb if you can stay motivated and learn by yourself. For most of the jobs you don't even need a degree, you need to be able to do what's asked of you.

>being this retarded
You'll pay for your (and Jamal's) college education through your increased taxes.

20$k of debt for the first month, for the first year, or what? Considering you may get 100$k in the states later on it doesn't sound so bad. For an 'merifat story of course.

Get fucked, fascist!

>people would seriously rather pay a fixed, crippling amount of money than pay a relative portion of their taxes
No wonder american households are so fucked, you blow all your money at once in the hope you'll have no debts in the future, but your debts are too big to overcome at once so you end up paying more in interest alone than you would with the tax increase

Because at that point you'll probably have a mortage or high rent as well. A comfortable career becomes cheque to cheque

are you me???

Americans are so racist they would rather pay massive interest to jews than admit the possibility of "Jamal" going through college.

Fucking pathetic!

>CE student
>$12,000(?) a year
>shit at math
>Need good grades to work for government last two years for free tuition
Idk if I'm fucked lads

I prefer it to debt. Also, more people being educated is always a good thing. Sanders' model would also make the bulk of it supplied by the rich, who already live the highest quality of life despite very high taxes.

As if "Jamal" would even be a problem if he was from an educated background.

We have Jamals where I'm from too, except they're poor whites who refuse their right to education, not ghettopoors who can't afford it. Jamal has no race.

Sanders plan neglects trade though. Everyone should be skilled in either a college course or trade when automation inevitably removes unskilled labor

>use an ethnic name
>"I-I d-didn't mean it guys, I s-swear!"
Nice backpedaling, you fucking nazi.

fucking racist

>not a thinkpad

yup, you gonna drop

>implying I'm that guy
>implying I'm not agreeing with you

>yfw you're the jamal

Only the dumb/lazy ones.
Free college is available to every American.

How so?

pell grants

Military for 2 years, and then free college and other benefits.

>tfw commuted to school and parents paid around 7-8k CAD per year.
>tfw graduated debt free with osap money to spare
>mfw bought computer and home gym, still had 3k left from osap by graduation after paying them back
> mfw made money going to uni

Not really, but just as well. I'm unemployed now. But at least in debt free.

Its crazy though, my total undergrad was like 36k probably. OP's is retarded high. Of course I had no social life and never got the "college" experience. But fuck, I studied CS and math anyways. I would have just been in my dorm studying and being alone.

Getting into programming because you want to make video games is very stupid

Most jobs on the market are not related to video games

In AAA, video game programming is often too detached from design process because of how convoluted process is and separating roles is important for maximum efficiency. Chances that you'll spend time designing abstract tools and middleware.

In Indie gamedev, you'll most likely have no time in schedule to program something besides game logic. Which means you'll again jump onto some kind of abstract game engine or middleware, this time as a consumer, and the required knowledge for that is some general programming concepts which you can learn spending a month with a book or two. Also, for the same reason, people who can program aren't exactly important in indie gamedev.

>having to pay for education

how is the US not a shithole again?

>it's free
>you have to waste 2 years of your life in the military

pick one and only one

Because there's enough rich people being successful to apparently outweigh all the poor people living a shit life. Basically, it's just a really good PR meme.

>university debt
lmao

t. eastern european shithole inhabitant

somehow, even we're better off than you

>arguing semantics
>having a high IQ
Pick one.

>paying to work

Individual lives aren't ruined by singular things.

>there are people actually defending this

Daily reminder that if you defend this then you're either an usurer or a useful idiot.

>wasting 2 years of your life is considered free
Are you mentally challenged by any chance?

>Americans
Because one likes programming?
Is interested in computing, algorithms, AI etc?

>hurr durr it's free if you pay for it first
>what? i'm using the word free wrong? sorry idiot i get to decide arbitrary definitions for words i use and if you call me out on it you're arguing semantics xD

i do like programming or i will when i'll get taught how to do it
but i don't want to do maths and all that shit
also, not American

This is the most infuriating post I've ever read. Bravo

Why is it infuriating?

Because the poster isn't American.

>thinking CS will teach you anything useful that you couldn't teach yourself more easily

ahahahahahaha everyone point and laugh

It's a fucking meme, friend, preparing you for the mindless soul destroying reality of employment

>it's not okay for government to spend a little bit of money providing free education for the people
>it's okay for government to spend a shit ton of money collecting debts for private colleges [1]

American logic, everyone!

1 - nytimes.com/2014/01/02/us/loan-monitor-is-accused-of-ruthless-tactics-on-student-debt.html

College should be free for the simple fact that it's cheaper to educate them now than to lock them up later.

>tfw I did 5 years of college and university for what worked out to be $10k because I live in a first world developed country

>mfw first CS lecture

Daily reminder that education is a basic human right.

>never step foot in US
>they still pay for my uni
:-)

>he thinks rights are real things and not made up concepts

Nice meme friend!

>implying Jamal will get a college education

>mfw literally first thing we had to do at uni was make a game in C#
>mfw didn't have to pay for uni because I'm Finnish

I'll screencap this post for when a 2nd amendment thread comes up.

Same here, which university(or roughly where it is if you don't want to tell) . We had groups of 4-5 though, so it might not be the same.

>>mfw didn't have to pay for uni because I'm Finnish

Why do people here always have to rub this in? Just be grateful.

Nigs gonna nig, regardless of attmpted education.

>he thinks made up concepts can't be worked into reality

stay a brainlet

Computer Science is about computer science
Programming and things like that are not the focus, the focus are on computers and how they work.

Because it's computer science.

Jesus, you didn't made a search about the course? You jumped in just because "oh i like games"? Your parents knew that?

metropolia?

metropolia.

Everything is a social construct, my dumb friend.

Read the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, of which your country is very likely a signatary:

un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/

Once you stop being edgy, we'll talk. Also, reported for being underage.

*As long as you're not poor or are smart enough to get a scholarship.

>making a game
>computer engineering
what???

Oh, thought you where in Sweden. Well it seems like the computer programs might be similar then. You had to make it in C#?

>being racist unironically
Wow, stop posting anytime!

If it's the same as ours it's more about learning to do group projects.

>You had to make it in C#?
Not entirely, only the game logic part. Graphics and the like are handled by Unity. I'm working on my own game engine with C though.

[spoiler]tunnistajille terkkuja[/spoiler]

We could use whatever we wanted, e.g. game maker and such.

>first day of CS
>first assignment is to solve P=NP

Three semesters of community college cost me $3k when I got my AA
Why couldn't you just go to CC first, user?

If you went to jail if you didn't go to college most people in the 1950s would be in jail

In my (Finnish) uni it was C# with XNA and a custom library

Meant for

At the end of programming II (second semester) we had to make a game in Java from scratch. It fucking sucked and made me never want to do game dev

We Swedes are probably retarded so we get to start in easy mode.

>mfw I was op
>went to cs cause I want to make muh games
>realize programming is fucking hard
>3D programming one of the hardest things you can do on that spectrum
>I just want to have an easy life
>don't want to do game dev

What is the fucking easiest thing I can do with my cs degree?

a fire

Get a teacher certification from your state/country and be a middle school math or science teacher.

Lol you really screwed the pooch. Paying 3 grand per six months of schooling for my bachelor's.

Teach, manage a Sql database, be a code monkey or Q&A

Actually computer science has a lot more in common with magic

>tfw at community College getting financial aid for all my classes
>tfw I've spent $0.00 on tuition in the last 2 years
>tfw I've learned assembly, c++, java, Python, and Linux for free and with amazing teachers who are going to recommend me for internships.

Feels fucking good man.

Nope. Switch majors, fast, or you're screwed.

>Can learn programming from the literal definition of Humanity's library right under his fingertips, always up to date
>Proceeds to indebt himself for a slower (sometimes even outdated) method of information acquisition that ends up telling him to do the above anyway

hmm.. really electrified my dendrites

are all US universities that expensive? or are you going to some top tier uni?

>are all US universities that expensive?
obviously not, but if you want to get a job when you graduate you go to one with a name

>paki
>immigrant in the UK

Maybe in the 1950s.

That's probably in the upper 3/4 for price.

There are some schools that charge upwards of ~$70,000 per year or ~$35,000 per semester.

They aren't even always the best schools, they might have specific special programs, or they're very small private colleges.

Most public universities will be under $40,000 per year.

>Euro-peon*

>thinking that a CS major has video game courses

I have some bad new for you user.

>30 years in this life
>i already gave up

says you

>thinking that a CS major has video game courses
I did CE rather than CS, and yes, one core course and three electives.

If you take a class called "software engineering" it will typically involve a project designing server/client architecture. AKA a video game. Most classes use either Set, Checkers, or Othello

Look at this cool game I made in CS
>yfw you'll probably make something just as shit or shittier. '

>falling for the Common Sense degree meme

Sounds like you had no common sense going in, time to dropout lad :^)

>1 month into Microbiology now
>$18,000 student debt for the semester
>mfw

>20000$
You know you could learn by yourself following tutorials and free online courses
Free education son

Im european and I pay tuition on PUBLIC uni
of course it isnt even near 20000$ though

>paying to go to school
kill yourself
No sane people can fall to this cuckery

Why didn't you just get a job before school to pay for uni

>expecting to be doing anything interesting in your first month of CS
>falling for the student loan meme

stupid muricans*
not all of us are retarded

>redundant parentheses

They still have to pay income taxes on the money they earn, genius.

So? Taxes scale based on your wealth. No one's going to be taxed out of health and home, but you can very easily be driven into poverty trying to pay for college if you start out poor.

Usually aren't enough to cover the full costs

Not every American qualifies for military service.

>hurr durr what is opportunity cost?

That's like 9th grade algebra though.

That's not what they said. The idea isn't that anyone who doesn't go to college is doomed to end up in jail, it's that people that would otherwise end up in jail might not if they had access to free education.