Just offered a new software engineering job, they asked me what laptop I want - I can have anything...

Just offered a new software engineering job, they asked me what laptop I want - I can have anything. Then they said everyone at the company uses a Macbook Pro or Air.

I'm seriously considering moving to the light side to not disrupt the workflow there, but wanted some other options first.
I've always loved ThinkPads, but is the latest X1 carbon or the P50 better hardware than a MBP if it's free?

I don't care how thin an light it is as long as it's not a fuckhueg gaymen laptop.

If you could only own one laptop for the next year and had to do all of your work on it - and it was free - what would you get?

>tripfag
>software engineering job
>macbooks
Sage, hidden and reported

>Then they said everyone at the company uses a Macbook Pro or Air.

There's a reason for this you know, they're professionals.

Don't get a MBP right now since they're outdated and about to be refreshed.

Go for a Dell XPS 15

MacBook will never have better hardware than a high end windows laptop. If you like mac style, or OS, then go for that but if they give you the option clearly they don't care what you use

Dell XPS 13

Get a P50 with a Xeon in it.

>macbook air
>doing anything other than browse Facebook without throttling itself to death

sorry, trip is from /o/, forgot to turn it off
I'm saying I don't want a mac breh

This would be super dope.

So what would you get?

I use Arch unironically by the way.

>P50
>4k IPS Panel
>Intel Xeon
>nVidia Quadro
>64gb ECC RAM
This could happen...

If they are offering a macbook, the price range is 1,000~2,000 right? I'd go with a thinkpad p50. Its a mobile workstation and you can get up to a Xeon in them, and I think 32gigs RAM. overall its not a stylish but it would blow a i5 MacBook out of the water

Make sure your employer uses a business discount.

If he doesn't have one himself (he probably does if he has the fuckoff money to buy you any laptop) there's one floating around in a pastebin that gets like 30% off

Sorry for the repeat, I didn't see the other p50 suggestion before I posted. Still would though.

I'd get something at a similar weight to a MB with a better keyboard. I like battery life too, So I'd get an X260.
I don't know how the gamut on the panel on the P50 is, but I could never stand a 6lb lappy.

I have a basically brand new X230 right now with a slice battery, mSata SSD etc, it's enough for me, but they're offering, so I'm going to upgrade. It's pretty dope, that's why I'm looking at the X1 Carbon.

>So I'd get an X260.
No. Absolute garbage tier processor. If you get ULV you're an idiot.

Fun fact: It's slower in some benchmarks than the X230's processor!

I've got an X220 and everything compiles as fast as I need it to. I'll take the battery life any day, and intel agrees with me.

X230 already gets 6-9 hours and 12 with wifi off, what more do you need??

Even the P50 has surprisingly good battery life for all its power, I hear

Yea I have a New P50 with the Xeon Processor its better than the MBP and Air. It's up to you I payed 2K for mine with that CPU and NVIDIA card. Free MBP could save you alot of money

The number one thing is durability. I took my X230 on a 3 week dirt bike trip around the country and it barely survived with some minor motherboard water damage. Don't think a MBP could take that.

It sure has the specs, but the battery life is the usual 4 cell unupgradable business. I have a 26Ah external, though, so it would matter less to me.

I want enough to never have to worry about it during the longest days.

>usual 4 cell unupgradable business
Now that I think about it, that probably wouldn't matter at all day to day, but when I'm sure there will be a few times per year where it'll suck.

Does Lenovo still make slice batteries for any of the new models?

I've seen people do some very impressive things with airs when it's been necessary.

there's no room for it on flip-tablets. the X260 has one.