Cred Forums, what is your preferred method of cloning hard drives?

Cred Forums, what is your preferred method of cloning hard drives?

> Acronis
> Norton Ghost
> Macrium
> DriveImage XML
> Clonezilla
> Paragon
> Linux/dd/etc
> Other?

Curious because I cloned onto an SSD the other day and noticed my Chrome profile was corrupted/reset (old HDD still works perfectly). I've never questioned these utilities but am now wondering if they even verify the data after copying..

Other urls found in this thread:

osforensics.com/tools/create-disk-images.html
disk-partition.com/articles/clone-hdd-to-ssd-alignment-4125i.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't clone, I just back up my shit, wipe the drive, and reinstall.

admittedly this is easier on Linux where you have some dotfiles instead of that appdata clusterfuck, but still.

>wondering if they even verify the data after copying..
dcfldd works for me.

dd

hdclone

Anyone found a product that works well for migrating Windows 10 from a fuckhuge HDD (they all ship with 1TB now apparently or larger it seems...) to a reasonably sized SSD?

Prefer something bootable, since I don't like having to root around in someone's Windows and install an application, only to remove it afterwards.

rysnc

Only Acronis DriveImage works for me. Clonezilla doesn't.

Correction, it's called True Image.

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

>doesn't specify bs or errorskip

lol

>Macrium

I've used Macrium multiple times when cloning and I haven't once ran into issues. It just works.

Better than dc3dd?

You're looking for a program that reduces the size of your main drive? Is that even possible?

I guess you could create symbolic links or something and transfer stuff to other drives but otherwise you just need to do it manually yourself (using windirstat or something).

I'm using acronis since I started doing backups, that shit saved my ass plenty of times

Anyone ever use this osforensics.com/tools/create-disk-images.html

unless the intend is for forensics purposes, you don't need to copy slack/unused space
tools like clonezilla skip over that space, so they can run faster

Wait what are you saying, you make a backup using Acronis? How exactly did it save your ass?

Just wondering cause I've never really had a massive HDD corruption or the like. What happened with yours?

I fucked up stuff sometimes so I had to format, I do full drive backups so its like nothing was happened, just a little rollback

Also I used it to clone some old p4 with EXPENSIVE AS FUCK software from my work and it worked flawless on new machines

dd, it's an awesome backup tool too.

dd if=/dev/sdx of=/path/to/backupdir/backup.img

Is it possible to clone a 1TB HDD Win10 with a cluster size of 512 to a 2TB HDD with a 4096 cluster size without changing the 2TB cluster size?

Acronis True Image. It can grow and shrink partitions and install hardware drivers while restoring images. It's really handy when swapping out one raid controller for another

sadly, dd copies everything, including unused space

I just cloned my SSD to a new, bigger SSD using Samsung's migration utility and it worked fine.

is there a way to format without losing program? I know that sounds like a paradox, but I hate having to reinstall programs just so they work

for instance, the install location of Adobe Premiere is on drive D:, and my boot is C:, but if I reformat C:, I have to completely reinstall Premiere

there's no clean way to do that with windows, no

yes

you can but you will need to back up all registry keys that the program installed for program associations,shell extensions, etc.

alright, at least I know it can't be easily done

I guess that'd defeat the purpose of a reformat anyway

Yeah this is why is a faggot. You put your compression program in a pipe.

dd if=/dev/sdx bs=10M | xz -9 > sdx.img.xz
xz -o sdx.img.xz | dd of=/dev/sdx bs=10M

Also you typically want to use a multi megabyte block size. dd takes your block size recommendation as a *suggestion* not a hard fast rule.

H-How?

disk-partition.com/articles/clone-hdd-to-ssd-alignment-4125i.html

Thanks!

Clonezilla if Linux and I want something standardized. Fuck all if not.

I like new setups, what I need probably has changed by then, and in the case of Windows due to how bitchy some motherboards can be if there are hardware changes cloning does not always play nice and it may not show as an issue until later.