Trying to learn a programming lenguage

>Trying to learn a programming lenguage
>Start out with ruby
>Everything reasonably well organized
>Realize windows and android does not really use ruby for anything.
>Try learning Java so I can make simple programs in android.
>Check Java documentation.
>Java is a clusterfuck of 4000 classes without any order and crowded with obsolete functions nobody uses.

Why the fuck does Java exist? and why android still uses this shit?

Why is whis allowed?

Other urls found in this thread:

tutorialspoint.com/java/
projecteuler.net/archives
twitter.com/AnonBabble

they're called libraries you pathetic neet

Performance

Not really sure why they use Java instead of C though

Well, then java is a clusterfuck of 4000 libraries

Not really a neet tough

I did question myself the same thing.

Java is mostly used due to legacy code. Just try to learn most of the core Luna with a tutorial. Because of oo bloat Java is a bundle of problems.

>Why the fuck does Java exist?
Back in the 90s it made sense to have a VM based language that could run everywhere.

>and why android still uses this shit?
Because of the first answer Java developers where cheap and easy to find, great choice for a platform like Android.

If Android was being developed today, they would have probably go with C++14 or golang.

Why using java when you can use C/C++?

Because I am interested in making android apps

>Why the fuck does Java exist?
To stimulate the Indian economy.

Can I use other language to develop android apps? I feel like it's a nightmare using it

It's a cluster fuck for sure, but it's good money, particularly backend web. Just learn the basics and go from there.

That's the problem, everywhere I go , nobody can list me the "basics" they just sperg out that "hurr derr you should know when you use them".

Nobody can point me in the right direcction, that's the other thing, the fucking documentation java provides is also a clusterfuck of scattered pages that also does not help.

Someone point out the packages that I should know by heart are:

java.lang
java.util
java.io
java.math
java.nio
java.net
java.security
java.sql
java.awt
javax.swing
java.text
java.rmi
java.time

Can anyone confirm?

top kek

fucking perfect

>want to make muh apps for pajeet platform
>have to use pajeetlang
>"omg it's terrible"
Welcome to Android.

Just switch to c# bro. Superior language made in America

Linq
Lambdas
Anonymous types

The list goes on and on

learn javascript and build them with react-native

Stay away from the java cancer unless you don't poo in the loo.

Jesus christ!
I can also publish my app with no problem?
If that is so then nigga you are my hero

publishing on android is easy they let you push whatever fucking malware shit you want onto the play store. Apple needs shit to be fucking pristine to publish.

As far as compiling it to publish it, that's all built into the cli and it's simple as fuck.

Javascript all the problems

>Microsoft advancing C# faster than Java
>F#
>TypeScript
When did M$ become the good guys

Java isn't actually a bad language.

The meat of Java really is a more classful in between of C++ (too many features, too many gotchas, strange .cpp/.h separation idea) and C, which everyone here is willing to admit the truth over: there are so few bad programming languages and enough bad programmers that other bad programmers generally think popular languages are bad, not because they're contrarian but because they've seen so much bad code. Except when it comes to C#/Java/C++, nope, bad languages. Real realistic.

On that note, Android (from a programmers perspective) isn't badly designed, it's one of the better UI frameworks. A good Java programmer rarely uses polymorphism (because the cat's bowl is not a cat) and rarely codes more than they need to. Minimalistic programming isn't a common art, but if you're programming something other than a babby language like ruby of python, without minimalism you will suck at programming.

But please, keep starting in babby languages, less competition in the big boys club.

They probably wanted classes.

C++ could have worked, but it'd be annoying. C# can and has worked for android, in fact the monodroid team will swear tooth and nail that mono is faster than Dalvik, the old android VM.

Why wouldn't you just buy a vps and host it? That's three times the portability of an app, even with xamarin things aren't always that cross platform.

No one here likes C# except me and other minimalism bros, it suffers doubly from the ability to make messy, over worked code. Also, it's more true to:Or just Google things?

Java is actually a simple language, it's control statements aren't too dissimilar to JavaScript, C, whatever.

You can make apps in C++. I do not recommend it, getting the ndk to compile is itself a piece of work.

They started playing ball with FOSS.

So I've got my chips down for C# over java just because I can imagine it becoming better later.

Java is comfy as fuck. It's secure, has shitloads of libraries, and loads of resources because of how popular it is.

You shouldn't really take your time to learn the Java API, you should begin programming what you want and when you need to know how to do something, you google it and 95% of the time someone on Stack Exchange answered someone else with the same problem with code that uses whatever package from the standard library that is appropriate.

>keep starting in babby lenguages, less competition in the big boys club

How edgy can you be? I want to learn as a hobby, my branch of work is medicine, kek.

its ironic that OP thinks Java is a crap language yet fails to realize that it would make more sense to learn Java then Ruby if he truly was trying to learn programming.

Lets pretend that AWS and many other large companies don't rely primarily on java and claim muh legacy.

Then it literally does not matter what language you pick. Python will do 99% of what you want, you can develop gayms with it and it's even easier than ruby. Done.

I use C/C#/Java/C++ because I want a job doing this and I have something to prove. This is my reputation at stake and developing bloated code or even something a little slow will be enough to destroy my career.

BTW that was more a general comment against the CS students on Cred Forums, as in other people trying to be engineers as a career.

start here:
tutorialspoint.com/java/

Then do some of these:
projecteuler.net/archives

Then make a game in android or something to practice implementation.

>too stupid to learn Java

C# with Xamarin. Included in VS2015.

Alright , I'll check both javascript and python as alternatives to make simple android apps, thank you.

But you are still edgie mcedgieson for having crab mentality

Why the fuck would you need to know any packages by heart. Just write code nigga damn.

Nigga this is just excellent, thanks

Is this a new Cred Forums meme? Turning images/GIFs into webms?

>developing something a little slow will destroy my career
>java
>slow

It's literally just the style, no one reads friendly posts without edge on Cred Forums. How new are you?

Basically, I wouldn't publish a single project that wasn't asm/C/C++/Java/C# or in that vein. Go and rust are fine too, there's others that are acceptable.

>they just sperg out that "hurr derr you should know when you use them".

But user, that's exactly right. You have to know the core language concepts by heart, plus you should know which classes are available in the default collections library. Everything else, you learn when you need it (and you should mess around with all the things one time or another to get the basics).

If you want to do something you don't know how to do yet, you google it and review all the libraries available - JRE native or otherwise. Then you learn the one that's best suited for your problem.

From the packages you listed: Don't ever use awt or swing unless working with legacy code. Use JavaFX for GUIs.

>You have to know the core language concepts by hear, plus you should know which classes are available in the default collections library.

That was exactly my complaint, the java documentation is a mess and I could't find the "core lenguage concepts" explicitly

But as you guys told me, I think it would be better to learn C# or python or javascript as you guys told me I can make android apps with those ones.

Learning C# looks promising, also javascript

>tfw I have a job as a software dev and make $100k+
>tfw I develop in python, javascript, and perl
Suck it

I hate to mix you up, but it's actually easier to develop Android apps with Java simply because something like android studio will set all that up for you.

People suggest python because it's easier. If anyone is suggesting c# over java it's because of a personal choice. In all real reality, maybe android developing is a waste of time and making web apps will provide you more benefit. The only downside is you'll need to pay money to use your app outside of your own home.

Good for you.

You're either old, a female minority or fucking lying like the worst cancer on Cred Forums, because most people wouldn't be paid mode than 60k for that.

With core language concepts, I meant primarily the syntax, classes and interfaces and when to use them and when not to add more abstraction layers. Also, concepts / paradigms that are common with more languages (e.g. functional programming, what it is good for and when you should not use it, design patterns and so on) and how your language of choice handles them.

As a hobbyist, the language ultimately does not matter, as long as it does roughly what you want. IMO Java is very rigid, which is not a bad thing -- but it is more suited for bigger projects and collaborative efforts. They all have their unique strengths and weaknesses, and handle different concepts better or worse than an arbitrary other language.

>>Realize windows and android does not really use ruby for anything.
Then you learn linux and realize linux does not really use ruby for anything.

i already have a SA certifcation and some college but no degree.
Should i go for a bachelors degree in computers or just get another certification, this time in C#.net.
I crave to learn programming but im not a self starter much. plus i would be retaking some classes i took for my first cert but i also would be taking more in depth classes and learning some more skill.

>android studio will set that up for you
How so?

I also new that

Java compiles faster, and gives you fewer options (so it's harder to screw up).

Literally no reason to learn all of java's core libs since every interview out there will ask you about collections and threading only. hibernate or Spring/struts too if a framework is required.

better compression than jpeg

It's literally one installation.

Speaking from experience, many a time setting up your ide will be more difficult than programming. You'll probably love developing android with python, but you'll hate that initial set up process even if you have a brain dead tutorial.

For instance, I could never get the ndk to work for my own projects. I could get it to compile other peoples projects, just not my own.

Xamarin allows you to use C# (Microsoft Java)

>Lambdas
>Anonymous types
Java has both of these

Linq is just some DB engine

>calls the header and source Strange
>let's his computer control his code
Why did cs become a joke.
Like it use to be so hard that only virgins playing dnd could program.
Now it's just "muh female representation or lol dx guys look I made a hello world in ruby". Pls fuck off I don't need any more of a headache

But how hard is it to set up Visual Studio? You literally just hit Xamarin checkbox during the installation, and select Android preset from the new project menu. Besides, if you quickly want to test your logic without messing with Android layouts/permissions/any other specific stuff, or create a prototype, you can just quickly create a Windows Forms or a console app and test your logic there. Kind of like Xcode's playground.

Read a fucking book, and start playing around in a development suite you autistic fuck... goddamn, I am in the same studying Java. Its not that hard you whiny cunt. Get off my Cred Forums.

Feels good that I started with C.