What's the catch?

What's the catch?

Just save up for the 1070, better bang for your buck

3 GB is poo

It's for my friend. Been thinking between this, or other 1060 3gb, and 470 4gb.

Gigabytes or ASUS are good models for GTXs

But what about those 3gb models? Are they still relevant? Maybe 470 will be better?

>zotac
That's the catch.

AMD is not ever better.

I would go 6gb because the card is very powerful and actually has enough throughput to use that much memory.

Don't worry about people memeing on zotac, brand is actually fine. Out of all the brands to avoid the #1 in my mind is Asus, considered an "enthusiast" brand and regularly recommended by people who think they know what they're talking about.

Underclocked and loud ?

what the fuck is zotac anyways.. their shit seems so fishy always

>6gb
Normally i would, but as i said before, it's for my friend, and budget is pretty tight. It's either 3gb 1060 or 4gb 470

The clock speed is also reduced. If you want a budget often, get the 1060 6GB version.

Gigabyte is rubbish, they're also owned by Zotac.

its overpriced and shit compared to the 480

can be had for $310 after tax if you use discover card [-10 promotion + 5% casback ($15)]
better performance for ~$30 more

always go nvidia if it's a gift, for sure. you don't want to give someone the pain of fucking games not working on their card, like new games don't work on amd cards every single year without fail.

1080p, 60fps, mid to high settings on poorly optimized ("AAA") games, the 1060 3gb is fine.

more fps, or 1440p or higher, you will have to turn the setting down to unacceptable levels.

Its outside fishy tier and inside the reliable tier, Their GTX 750Ti was really good and the other cards they have made havent had problems.
They have somewhat bad warranty but they are better than ASUS atleast.

Zotac is good, my 970 is from them.

Better performance for a year.

Enjoy using 4GB of VRAM in 2 years.

depends on the resolution really, if you're not going above 1440p, then i think 4gb will be good for 2 years at High/Very High Quality. no point in having 8gb of ram if it's missing the raw power to push out smooth frames for that Ultra quality

>3GB
>less CUDA cores
That's not a 1060, it's a 1050 Ti.

For a small form factor gpu at the price of a 1060 it's fine

Is that a single slot card?

Are you blind?

Do those cards have enough cooling?

Seems to be better than 470 4gb in most games.

Just means you cant afford a decent gpu like a 1080

>3GB
Buy the 6GB version

3GB is already a low amount of memory and will hamper you in future. Just get the 6GB model or RX 470/480

It's loud and hot, throttles and can't OC. Also 3GB and wouldn't be surprised if there was coil whine under load.

this
I ended up getting a 1070.
The 1060 is tailor made to just beat the RX480 on benchmarks but will be obsolete within a year. Either get a RX480 or jump to a 1070 but do not buy a 1060.

>spend an additional $100 to future proof your vram on a card that isn't future proof

>3GB
>no async
>no DX12
>no Vulkan
>gimpworks enabled
get the 470 or 480 8GB

>no DX12
>no Vulkan
What the hell are you talking about? DX12 is supported on all pascal cards and vulkan is supported all the way down to the 600-series. Stop talking shit you dumb amd shill.

Well yeah, because it's priced against the 480 4GB.

You're a fucking retard if you think the 470/480 or the GTX 1060 will be relevant in 2 years time.

AMD is already touting fucking VEGA

>3GB of VRAM
>that cooler

It's zotac

>>that cooler
It's not THAT bad. I'm idling on 28c and it won't go over 72c.

>idling at 28°c
Enjoy your house fire.

>3Gigobits of ram
>2016

28c is nothing.

How can you justify paying an additional $80-100 to upgrade the VRAM of a card that will be obsolete in 2 years time? Unless you're playing something that very specifically need more than 3 GB of VRAM it's a waste of money.

3gig are good for htpc and some moba games

The 480 is better and nvidia is going to cuck you

>some moba games
>some
Do go ahead and mention one (1) moba that require more than 3 gigs of VRAM. Pro tip: there is none.

>this is what nvidiots belive
wew lad if only you knew

Hardware unboxed always seem to give the most pro-nvidia results out of every review site.

>b-b-but m-muh v-vulkan

>28º is hot for a gpu
lol

Stutter

But how effectively is it cooling everything but the GPU?

>What is lowering texture quality settings

>using a $300 card for more than 2 years

Something you wouldn't need to do if you got a card with 8gb of vram

>buying a card that is obsolete the second you open the box

>shilling zotac
>denigrating asus

And im still happy with my gtx 780 oh yea

>im still happy being a cuck
ftfy

What? It is safe even up to 90c and higher.

Whats a cuck ? Dont understand childish blabber.

Zotac is arguable the Sapphire of nvidia
they always end up with the absolute best of the flagship cards, in this case, the 1080 amp extreme, which they say can do clocks up to 1911mhz, but alot of testing online shows clocks even into 2000mhz or slightly more

Their warranties are garbage, but the products are good. Their 750ti was god tier in its price range, and their 780 was the biggest, baddest motherfucker on the block for a while

>Their warranties are garbage
There, thats why my choice is EVGA

>whats a cuck
>shilling nvidia

>3gb version

It has a weaker gpu on it than the 6gb version. It should've been called 1050, but then stupid niggers like you wouldn't buy it.

there are so many nvidia shills in this thread
you want to give your friend a product that lasts? give him the RX 470 4gb
reason is simply because it has more ram
i dont know what the financial situation of your friend is but 3GB is already piss fucking low for a late 2016 card
if you increased the budget then id say 1060 6gb is a viable option
more ram is a good thing