/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reset_root_password#Using_GRUB_to_invoke_bash
vim.wikia.com/wiki/Using_vim_as_a_man-page_viewer_under_Unix
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
github.com/linuxmint/xed/commit/16eacdc3f4fbebf48d41
forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=129878
launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/ package/ttf-mscorefonts-installer
p.fuwafuwa.moe/wliksm.tar.xz
aur.archlinux.org/packages/ttf-win7-fonts/
aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/log/?h=ttf-win7-fonts
p.fuwafuwa.moe/mhpamn.tar.gz
github.com/seenaburns/stag.git
github.com/seenaburns/stag
seenaburns.github.io/stag/
asus.com/us/Notebooks/Eee_PC_1000HA/
wiki.debian.org/LXQt
wiki.debian.org/DesktopEnvironment
youtu.be/XxEczHwHqgs
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
blog.lusis.org/blog/2014/09/23/end-of-linux/
without-systemd.org
sourceforge.net/projects/abic/
dotshare.it/category/info/conky/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Am I the only one using Gentoo?

>only one
One what?
Only shitposting tetard? Probably not.

Yes, you should use exherbo.

>friendy thread

>I want a hug, I thought this was plebbit

>have chromebook
>flash firmware with John Lewis's 'BOOT_STUB'
>boot from usb with GalliumOS.img mounted
>everything is going well, install GalliumOS from installer
>reboot computer, it can't find any drive to boot from
>install Xubuntu from USB
>run installer, everything is going well
>reboot computer, it still can't find any drive to boot from

I'm looking through the SeaBIOS wiki right now, but if my problem is apparent to anyone, what do you think it is?

No

(You)

Hey guys, it's the New Linux Mint user again.First off I want to thank you all for being so friendly and helpful. I have made a terribly stupid mistake. When setting my admin password after installing I have typed it in wrong, and then typed it in the same way, but wrong in the confirmation. Google has failed me. I have watched a few videos, but my computer doesn't react the same way when I try to change the password in the root menu. Can you guys point to me in the right direction?

What I've tried so far:

>restart
>hold down shift key to get to root menu?
>nothing happens, everything continues normally

>Guessing my mistakenly typed password
>for the last hour

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reset_root_password#Using_GRUB_to_invoke_bash

!BE/4wes0mE Post awesomewm configuration please.

That aside, is there a way to get man pages (and perhaps pagers as well) to have a more vim-like environment.

And this provides a great reason for using disk encryption

vim.wikia.com/wiki/Using_vim_as_a_man-page_viewer_under_Unix

It says it cannot find the the kernel image?

I didn't have anything important. If I just reinstall the OS Linux Mint completely, it should work right ?

yes

Use Ubuntu instead. Mint has some problems: lwn.net/Articles/676664/

>pacman -Syy

Stop offering bad advice, idiots. If you're not sure what something does, stop recommending it.
Look up partial upgrading and see why it's bad on Arch.

At least the xedit thing is fixed now (they renamed it to xed): github.com/linuxmint/xed/commit/16eacdc3f4fbebf48d41
b7b8c237993de472ce5b
>Showing with 25,681 additions and 25,258 deletions.
(Actually don't click this link if you have a slow machine.)
(Also, why is Cred Forums telling me this link is spam?)

What is a good eth coin or dash coin miner for linux?

I've heard dual installing a distribution w/ Windows is risky or generally a bad move.

Any substance to this?

no

Anyone knows a way to exclude the root window from compton?

Yes.

Who did you hear this from? An Aplel?

Windows is known malware. Don't install.

Hi, guys, i have a problem with Steam on Arch Linux. I ran into the Steam runtime problem and "fixed" that as Arch wiki says, but when i am using optirun (yes, i have a laptop with a hybrid graphics) Steam Overlay (shift+tab) doesn't work. But, if i use Intel Graphics all works fine instead of performance, ofc. Are there ways to fix that?

So I have set up a DuckDNS service pointing to my IP. I want to SSH into a custom port in my home server, but it seems DuckDNS reads all ssh requests as being on the port 22. Example:

ssh me.duckdns.org results in my.ip.add.ress:22 - Connection blocked

If I try ssh me.duckdns.org:customport results in name or host not found. Could it be because it's actually trying to ssh my.ip.add.ress:22:customport?

Hi friends. I'm new to linux but I want to learn. If anyone of you could help me with my debian crash I would really appreciate it. Please check this thread I made.
forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=129878

Did the one who told that shit to you tell you why?

NEVER use nvidia-xconfig. Just setup xorg manually.

Really? The wiki tells you to use it. And I checked the file and it's correct.
Oh, and with the jessie backports installation you don't use nvidia-xconfig.
Thank you for the information though, appreciate the help

I was trying out xfdashboard but somehow, it is really buggy for me.
Could anyone tell me how to get pic related to its original look, like in goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/xfdashboard/manual#windows_view ?

If KDE5 is the latest version and KDE4 is deprecated, why do most distros use KDE4 over 5?

What's the best software to run virtual machines with PCI passthrough ?

Necrophiles.

KVM/QEMU

No real distros ship KDE4. The ones that do are meme distros

What's that?

the purest form of love

nobody has ever said no to some good old fashioned necrophilia

I have recently updated to Gnome 3.20 and all themes (compatible with gtk 3.20) look broken. How to fix it?

Debian still ships with 4 and meme distro arch linux ships with 5, your argument falls flat.

It's when you fuck corpses and enjoy that.

Huy pizda.

oh, I thought you were talking about some type of files

>man ssh
-p port
Port to connect to on the remote host. This can be specified on
a per-host basis in the configuration file.

Can you read, my man? I know I can ask ssh to connect to another port. I'm asking if DuckDNS redirects all ssh requests to 22, even if I specify otherwise.

update your themes

>Debian
It's like you want to prove me right

>2017-1
>KDE4
Lmao deadian

>one of the most heavily used distros and it works
>I don't like it so it's a meme, lol.

tell me, how can you use other language then english? I always wondered about that.
I'm Serb but i can't work normally when my OS is on Serbian, everything is so confusing.

It is though

>Holding back a package for half a dacade makes it ""stable""
>Implying Debian just works
>Implying Debian will magically fix Linux bugs
>Implying Debian will magically fix userspace bugs
>"Male programmers' privilege checklist

Debian is a meme

I hate the ricer approach to things. I like me some convenience and efficiency. I don't wanna spend hours nitpicking on colorschemes and bitmap fonts, I just want something that's reliable and works out of the box.

what's the distro for me? (btw I have years of gnu/linux experience, just curious to see what you guys will give me)

Common sense is telling me to use English, since it's basically standardized (like Latin for medical terms). On the other side using your native language feels "fresh" and "proper".

Baci se u smeฤ‡e.

Already did. Even reinstalled them.
I just got used for it. It only gets confusing with updates, when something is renamed.

Pretty much anything that isn't arch or a minimal install.

None of the things you specified are distribution exclusive and it can all be accomplished on all distributions.
Why do you idiots think there's a distribution for every little niche use case that's worth using?

>claims to have years of experience
>apparently still hasn't realized that

How to spot a liar: the post.

Heะผoั˜ ะฑะธั‚ะธ ั‚aะบo ะณpyะฑ ะฟpeะผa ะผeะฝะธ aะฝoะฝe, ะฟoะฒpeะดะธั›eัˆ ะผะธ oceั›aัša.

i tried few times, but always gave up

joko hoko popo uguu agga?

Get a mac faggot.

ur dum

If Arch is meant to be simple, why doesn't it come with a simple installer?

Obviously not. When ssh reads "me.duckdns.org" it converts it to it's IP address.

its a meme, simple means simple for the developers
>too lazy to write a ~20 loc tui installer
>too lazy to select kernel modules
>too lazy to split packages
>there, get my lazy, erm, simple distro

The syntax you're using is incorrect like pointed out.

ssh me.duckdns.org -p 2222

Installers are for noobs

Whenever I boot up my laptop the main monitor is disabled. How to fix this? I can't even get past the login screen without plugging in another monitor.

They're too lazy to make a simple ncurses installer like slackware did.

Based SLS.

Does pacman have what's APT equivalent of
apt-get --simulate

only noobs call noobs noobs

Is there a terminal program or ncurses script that lets me view the contents of a tar, tgz, gz, etc on the terminal? I hate graphical programs like ark.

tar -tvf file.tar.gz | less

Thanks. I also found out vim and even emacs can view the inside of an archive file. Is there anything emacs can't do? Can emacs be used as a torrent client?

Sir, emacs is an operating system

>Is there anything emacs can't do?
No

Does anyone here know how to autostart applications without a DE?

do you use X?
If yes you can just add exec
To your .xinitrc.
Otherwise you could make a systemd service

i made the mistake of install nomachine on debian because i need it to do my csci assignments. i downloaded the tar and followed the instructions to install it. the connection didn't work, so i tried to uninstall it and none of the commands worked.

google tells me stuff like

>As it says in the instructions: sudo dpkg -r nomachine
>This worked! thanks :D

i deleted the file folders and the nomachine server is still attempting to run on boot, though it fails and the boot continues and succeeds. how do i purge my machine of this? i regret everything

Why didn't you use checkinstall if it wasn't in the repo?
you can probably disable it with systemctl

less can browse archives without tar

just less file

nm figured it out

What free software has that pic been created with?

There's lots of possibilities but blender would be relatively easy for this.

WPS or libre office?

Will look into it.

I don't suppose there's an alternative to sketchup? The ability to geolocate is really useful.

>blender
Never use a canon to kill a mosquito.
Sweet home 3d

is there any keyboard shortcut to delete the whole command line you're typing on the terminal instead of holding backspace?

I just use ctrl+c

ctrl + U
it's a cut command so you can then paste it back with ctrl + Y

latex

>2017
>Not use FreeDNS

>man
:$ whatis man
man (7) - macros to format man pages
man (1) - an interface to the on-line reference manuals
:$ man man
:$ man 7 man

>WPS or libre office?
Depends on what you do. Unfortunately the microsoft documents format is the de facto standard (remember they don't use strict ooxml by default), so IMHO for documents i want to be able to open always without depending on MSO i prefer to use LO to create odf documents because i know it's a well documented format so it's harder to get locked to one program. When i need to share a documents that doesn't need to be edited by other person i always create a PDF. After that when i need to work collaboratively i create a google docs document. If the other person can't or doesn't want to use google docs my last option is to create an MSO document. That's just my opinion tho.

you should also know ctrl+w which just deletes the previous word

Why mint is supposed to be so bad or insecure?
I tried debian and got weird problems from time to time.

>latex
Also regarding this the biggest advantage of latex for me is that is git-friendly and it gives you great control over the format, it also automatizes a good number of tasks. It may seem hard at first but don't disregard it for any big piece of work.

Explain your problems and we can help you fix and understand them.

I fixed them, but thats not what i expexted from "stable" os.

That's not a mosquitoe. If it was you could just do a top view of it in inkscape and be done with it.

I haven't used Linux for that long and I've realized I don't know what program to use to ensure stability after an overclock on the CPU or RAM. What exactly should I use?

>odf documents
Since when M$ support odf?
The issue is I'm using linux and receive doc(x) files, that I have to print.
Things aren't as they suppose to look like, fonts/shapes to be precise.

>$CURRENT_YEAR
>still using Debian stable

explain the problems. It was probably a user error.
You mean for stress testing? ffmpeg can stress your hardware. But there are also benchmarks like unigine valley.

>not using arsch wiki

aw() {
w3m -o confirm_qq=0 "wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/${1}"
}

I'd just like to interject for a moment.

Quote your variables to prevent word splitting.

Random errors out of nowhere while loading system. Problems with installing packages. Nvm though. Id like to know why is mint considered bad or insecure.

i just use ffmpeg

if you're not sure what to write, how about encoding a whole lot of incompressible random junk?
ffmpeg -s 640x480 -pix_fmt yuv420p -f rawvideo -i /dev/urandom -c:v libx264 -crf 5 -preset veryslow -f matroska -y /dev/null

>Why mint is supposed to be so bad or insecure?
Mint's wordpress website got breached on February and the cinnamon edition ISO links where changed to point to an external server with modified isos that contains a trojan. Only the wordpress site was compromised and the isos in the mirrors and torrent were fine (because breaching the mirrors too would be hard). The hashes on the page was modified but fortunately the ones on the mirrors were not modified so people found that the hashes doesn't match and the problem was solved later. Being say this, i'm much more willing to forgive an honest mistake or a breach rather than something pushed on me on purpose, just sayin'.

Another probable reason for people to say this is because by default mint doesn't updates critical system components, most probably because they're an small team compared to ubuntu's and is harder for them to take care of regressions introduced by ubuntu's updates. However you can change that on a gui with a pair of clicks so i find exaggerated to say that mint is insecure due to this.

>I tried debian and got weird problems from time to time.
If that same problems doesn't happen on other distros like ubuntu or mint it could be because debian doesn't ships proprietary firmware blobs by default so you need to enable those blobs for your drivers to work fine.

Hope this helps.

That is not an explanation and it seems like it was your fault. Did you read the manual? Do you know what stable means in software? How do you warrant using stable on a desktop?
The OP links covers nicely why mint is shit

I know, that's why i said that when i create a document i use odf. If i receive a MSO document i need something that can open it od course, it may be WPS or MSO on wine. What i tried to say is that if i create MSO documents without needing it i'm making the problem bigger and helping MS to lock me into their ecosystem.

Mint is basically a hacked together debian and ubuntu mix (a so called frankendebian). It's so broken that the developer decided to simply blacklist packages which could break the system (Linux is one of them).

That said, you can run it and it woun't fall apart if you keep the blacklist enabled, but I wouldn't do online banking with it.

I had my system configured, and working correctly and after few days i got some issues out of nowhere (didnt change anything).
As for mint and ubuntu a bit. Is ubuntu then considered better in terms of being up to date?

So you're saying WPS is better to run M$ files?
Also what do you suggest getting M$ fonts?
Specifically TimesNew Roman.

Mint can have the same updates as ubuntu, if you like more mint but you want to be as updated as ubuntu the option is just a few click away on a GUI.
The updates that mint holds are only regarding certain system components like the kernel.

What issues?

can i some how make this animation display on boot

Powerpoint is available gratis, unzip the exe, there are most fonts included. Otherwise just do a "intitle: index of/" google search.

put

mpv --fullscreen="yes" arch.gif

somewhere to your autostart settings

I guess grub can only display static pictures.

Hi, sorry i think you're putting words in my mouth. What i tried to say is that if you need MS documents to work use whatever opens them correctly, i normally use MSO on wine without problems if other solutions cannot interpret them correctly.

>Also what do you suggest getting M$ fonts?
Depends on your distro, you can get those fonts from an Windows installation media. Ubuntu for example has a package that downloads and installs those fonts after you accept the agreement (those fonts has a restrictive licence that's why they cannot be shipped by default even if ubuntu includes substitutes). You can also download them manually and winetricks/POL can download them to your wine bottle.

launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/ package/ttf-mscorefonts-installer

Well, I'm using "Manwhoro".
I doubt AUR has it.
But Ihave installed them on PoL/wine.
It's in ~/.playonlinux/fonts
What's better way to install them?

What about the mprime meme?

Hey dudes... I am trying to get some study guides for LPIC-1 exam 101, 102... But i have some issues to get any .pdf file or buy one book to help me with it... is anybody here that can help me?

There's a package called ttf-ms-fonts on the AUR. I got my font from a w7 installation media tho, there's a package that allows you to create a pacman compatible package from the fonts in the windows dvd, you just need to point the script where's the fonts directory, it's called ttf-win7-fonts, i'll see if i can find the package already created.

Hi /fglt/, ive spent the last week or so learning linux, and have held off from going on here always googling and learning for myself

I really dont know what to do here, though

This was in a .tar.gz file from a github

how do I install this?

I've tried ./configure, make, sudo make install, Makefile, ./Makefile, and I can't get this to install

I uploaded my package, it's not the latest version but should work fine.
p.fuwafuwa.moe/wliksm.tar.xz

Change the name to "ttf-win7-fonts-7.1-8-any.pkg.tar.xz" if necessary. Don't just trust me, remember to always check if a package is legit by yourself:

There was a few changes from my version to the 7.1-9:
aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/log/?h=ttf-win7-fonts

The problem is i cleared my cache and the 7.1-8 is my last backup of that package, i'll try to see if i can create the 7.1-9 again.

Hope this helps.

Depends, it's ubuntu? what does the readme says?
You usually need the build tools and the dependencies. Do you have the github link?

Kwin on Fedora 24 shits itself every once in a while when using MPV. Is this a fedora issue, a KDE issue or an MPV issue? Should I report it to all of them or start on MPV and work my way up?

ok, fortunately arch has a nice tool called bacman so i was able to create the package 7.1-9 again. This time i put the package in a subfolder because fuwafuwa changes the name automatically.

p.fuwafuwa.moe/mhpamn.tar.gz

Again, check by yourself if it's legit first.

Is Unity scriptable/extensible like GNOME or KDE in any way?

Create a Plymouth theme.

รทREADME

Geez, I wonder if that could be of any help.

How do I get the most out of tlp?

Based user.
The arch wiki on fonts are a little bit confusing.
I've been installing font in ~/.fonts for years but now it says ~/.fonts/ is now deprecated.
Will these fonts be added to wine as well?
Will probably install the Adobe fonts as well.

Edit its configuration file.

How do I get good with linux?

Been using GNU/Linux for months and I never learned how to do the ALT+## thing here. Whenever I want to type the a-with-a-circle, the exponent symbol, the squared (), and more, I have to look up the symbol and copy paste. What's the way to do this on Linux?

Coming here hoping someone can help.
On my new X220 running Antergos with GNOME I have problems with suspend. Or rather, waking up from suspend.
It wakes up alright and I can log in* but sometimes (1/3 times or so) the desktop is unresponsive and displaying varying parts of what was on the desktop. Usually I can move the cursor around but no response to my clicking around. Sometimes all windows open show but don't respond to mouseclicks, sometimes just a white screen with cursor available.
I not quite sure where I should turn my attention: display manager, window manager, kernel or something else... anyone got ideas on where I should look to identify the cause of this error? Or even better a solution for it...

*I can log in after changing the greeter to lightdm-gtk-greeter instead of lightdm-webkit2-greeter (default Antergos). With the webkit one I could usually not even log in.

TL:DR: desktop unresponsive/not showing after waking up from suspend on Thinkpad X220 with Antergos (GNOME)

how do you get into Emacs everything is just so confusing and I'm starting to think it's just not even worth trying to use it

Why fc-cache -f > /dev/null ?
Wouldn't simple fc-cache do?
I've checked the file, the only malicious thing is comicsans

>squared ()
What kind of keyboard layout do you use which doesn't have those keys?

Either way, look into the compose key.

Just use vim

USE AN IDE

Try spacemacs. It's a special emacs config that comes with evil for vim emulation and generally better for a beginner to get into than vanilla emacs.

>using an IDE for your plain text configs

>not using an IDE for every text file

Dwarf fortress inits with coloring is p cool

linux mint

lul i was missing 'Ncurses' (ncurses-dev) which was apparently recquired

just did
sudo apt-get install ncurses-dev
git clone github.com/seenaburns/stag.git
cd stag
make && sudo make install

github.com/seenaburns/stag
The readme says fuck all about how to install, just tells you its commands and stuff
But I found
seenaburns.github.io/stag/
Which tells you how to install

It's a terminal graph display thing for cpu or ram or battery or whatever you want

Read the manual

CTRL+SHIFT+u2605 =

looks pretty cool.

just do this:

git clone github.com/seenaburns/stag.git
cd stag
make
sudo checkinstall

or do the same with the archive dow dl'd minus git clone ofc

>Cred Forums literally strips unicode
I feel opressed.

$man linux

The program 'linux' is currently not installed.

รด

test

Evil

โ•š

reminds me of

Nigga this is a star what the fuck? I have no use for this.

try ufd5

เฟ•

A square that says OF/OS. Of what OS? Does this mean that the symbols I require are proprietary?

Any simpler/better cli alternatives to youtube-dl?

youtube-dl is actually the most simple and best program for that job user.

Installing Arch in Virtualbox, why is locale.gen blank?

KISS

I do not want to kiss you, sorry.

>he fell for the arch meme

keep it stupid stupid

>Why fc-cache -f > /dev/null ?
>Wouldn't simple fc-cache do?
I don't know, i didn't created the script, i just build the package. Ask to this guy:

>I've checked the file, the only malicious thing is comicsans
heh

8/8

I'm only installing in Virtualbox, I haven't fallen for the meme yet.

I know what KISS means, I just don't know how that helps me.

i really hope the aur doesn't provide worse than this

The AUR used to be great but now it's a menace.

Since today my Firefox keeps crashing. I'm using Debian.

>still no green pepper in the op

how do i make a program use a specific interface for outgoing connections?

Can you turn a standard release distro into a rolling release one if you compile your own kernels?

Is there some simple setting I'm missing with GNOME's Dash to Dock extension that allows for minimizing OR maximizing a window with a single left-click?

All I'm seeing is the option to do one or the other - not both.

what
kernels have nothing to do with a release model of a distro / repository

$sudo apt install linux

A distro is only a collection of packages
a kernel is a package
the difference is standard releases maintain the same kernel
so by compiling your own packages you have a rolling release

So I just found out that I can open and save and create microsoft word documents in emacs, can emacs do the same for powerpoint and excel documents?

>is this nigga srs
for what purporse?

...by compiling your own packages, you effectively have a rolling-release distribution, but it would be substantially more efficient to just install a rolling-release distribution instead of putting yourself through all of that trouble.

Literally I think SourceMage would waste less time than that.

Curiosity. I wanted to find a more lightweight office program that can read and edit and save to word documents because libreoffice is bloated and requires java. I did find out that emacs in org mode does support office documents, and was just wondering if it could do the same with other office file formats.

Does anyone know any flat, somewhat retro themes for Gtk3 and gnome-shell? Something reminiscient of the themes bundled with xfce4-goodies.

Thank you user, much appreciated

Currently running Manjaro Xfce 16.08 i686/32-Bit on my netbook

Can't get little things like Discord and Chrome due to the architecture.

Should I just nuke my current Manjaro install for a x86_64 install instead? Or, will the performance run/be sluggish, or the will the performance run/be the same?

asus.com/us/Notebooks/Eee_PC_1000HA/

So for some reason my .cbz files have stopped auto generating thumbnails, it worked fine yesterday but now it's not working at all and I only noticed just now when I made some new cbz files and there were no thumbnails.

The only things I've changed recently were:

1. Installed a raw thumbnailer to try and get thumbnails for raw files
2. Set the generate thumbnails for files larger that xMB option to 0 in PCmanFM which I reverted when I noticed this problem

undoing the 0filesize in pcmanfm has not made a difference, I've restarted since then too to check and it's not helped. I also uninstalled the raw thummbnailer which still does not make a difference. The problem persists in more than one file manager, e.g. pcmanfm, thunar and nemo. PCmaFM uses the /usr/share/thumbnailers directory and refers to the comic.thumbnailer which is:

cat comicthumb.thumbnailer
[Thumbnailer Entry]
TryExec=comicthumb
Exec=comicthumb %u %o %s
MimeType=application/x-cb7;application/x-cbr;application/x-cbt;application/x-cbz;application/x-ext-cb7;application/x-ext-cbr;application/x-ext-cbt;application/x-ext-cbz;

I have just tested comicthumb mnanually and that works and generates thumbnails so how can I track down the problem here?

No. your CPU is not compatible with that architecture, it will not work at all if you try to run an x86_64 system

Also image files and video files are still generating thumbnails correctly.

I have a new SSD on the way, thinking of using the opportunity to switch from Ubumbu to Debian, is this a good idea?
I'm expecting some things to be clunkier and I will probably miss Unity. Is anything vastly worse in Debian?

Debian is much much better, you won't miss Ubuntu and won't go back.

Well I've used Ubuntu for about 8 years and I've never really had that much to hate about it except the odd spyware incident but I don't care enough about that shit.
What's better about it in your opinion?

Also, is LXQt usable in Debian now?

noob?

It doesn't hold your hand as much, I find it to be more 'tune to your needs' and customizable rather than the set defaults in Ubuntu. It's easy enough for anybody to use and easy to customize exactly how you like, and feel free to install Unity on it if you'd like to keep using it, but you should use this as a chance to try out some new desktop environments. if you prefer stability over newer packages, keep on stable, or go for testing/experimental for more of a rolling-release-ish distro.

not officially supported, but you can add a repo to install it from with ease:
wiki.debian.org/LXQt

>feel free to install Unity on it
according to the Debian wiki you can't install Unity
wiki.debian.org/DesktopEnvironment
I've already decided to go with Testing as I've used it in the past.
I'm okay with repos etc, I'm more worried about LXQt being a clunky piece of shit like LXDE.
I also considered going with Fedora just so I could use Wayland out of the box. But I guess Wayland would work in Debian + Gnome 3.

nothing wrong with giving it a try, you might like it

>not running based fedora

how do i make urxvt automatically execute screenfetch on system start? running arch & i3.
tried exec --no-startup-id i3-img '$workspace1; exec urxvt -e screenfetch'
but that didn't work, the only case that it works in is when i use -hold -e screenfetch, but then the terminal is unusable. sorry for the (really likely) retarded question, new to i3. loving it so far but been diggin on this all day and can't figure it out.

>Being a beta tester for red hat, for free.

I aint sending shit for bug reports bro

But I am.

My laptop is shit though and doesn't wake from suspend 9/10 times. Apparently this is a common problem with dell laptops.

I completely forgot about fedora 24 gnome with Wayland. I haven't tried it yet. What are the benefits of Wayland?

ไฝ ๅˆซ็›ด่ง†็œ‹็€ไฝ ็š„ๅฑๅน•ๅฐฑ่กŒไบ†ใ€‚

Is anyone else using Nomacs? Do you also get this ugly "rotate" icon when cropping pictures? Can someone test this please?

Any irssi or weechat users here? preferably irssi. I'd like to see how you guys configure your irc clients. I switched from weechat to irssi because I couldn't figure out how to make links that extended to additional lines open properly. I had something making all the text align a few spaces over to look better. I think that's a weechat default. It meant that links were broken up by a spice and a pipe every line. Was annoying and usually meant copy/pasting and manually fixing them instead of clicking.

That was all months ago, so I'm actually pretty used to irssi now and I like it. I do have a few usability issues, though. For one, it doesn't display all the channels I'm in the way weechat does.. I have to use alt-arrows to switch between them (this bit is the same as weechat, but I can only SEE one at a time), and this means I often forget to check other channels and I don't know if I'm messaged in them.

On a related note, I'm running irssi in tmux on a server in my basement and attaching to it from all my personal computers in the house. I'd like some sort of audible ping and/or a popup notification from dunst or something. Not sure how hard this will be to do since I want the notification to happen on a different machine than irssi.

urxvt -e sh -c 'screenfetch; exec $SHELL'

don't know about i3 though

>What are the benefits of Wayland?
It's not some cobbled-together shit from the 70s.

Are blocks and clusters the same thing (a group of sectors)?

thank you, exec urxvt -e sh -c 'screenfetch; exec $SHELL' worked, even thought i have no idea how, i'll take it.

now i was wondering if anyone knew how to make windows automatically split on start, because no matter what commands i use they all start vertically. what i'm trying to do is ie: two terminals side to side and a third one horizontally under the 2nd one. kind of hard to explain but exec toggle layout splith from the user's guide doesn't seem to work.

been using windows forever. sick of it.

after looking at the options mint seems the best. opinions?

I ran stat on my i3 config
$ stat .i3/config
File: '.i3/config'
Size: 9222 Blocks: 24 IO Block: 4096 regular file
Device: 817h/2071d Inode: 1577145 Links: 1
Access: (0600/-rw-------) Uid: ( 1000/ fix) Gid: ( 1000/ fix)
Access: 2016-09-21 15:08:19.366610889 +0000
Modify: 2016-09-19 17:25:27.432452048 +0000
Change: 2016-09-19 17:25:27.468453021 +0000
Birth: -

If the size is 9222B (>8KiB,

mint is simple and pretty user friendly. only used it for about a week, but it has a simple setup and use.
don't base your opinion on screenshots or videos, though. trust me, you'll want to try out other distros down the road, it all depends on what you're trying to use it for and what are your needs, every distro offers something different.

Linux Lite is a better option currently

>locale.gen
holy shit, it is supposed to be blank. you gotta set the locale flag and trigger the locale.gen

wtf kind of dumb question is this?

I have 8 gigs of RAM on my computer. I will use the pc to play video games, and will try to set up Windows vm for games that won't run on Linux.

Do I need a swap partition? How big should it be?

Size doesn't matter, it's all about how you're using it.

That's what she said

Is it still acceptable to be using mplayer1 rather than mplayer2 or mpv?

Use the one that works for you

you may want to opt for swapfile instead of a swap partition.

Can I still make my chinese cartoons look pretty like mpv like the autists in /mpv/ gloat about?

why use the older version?

yes

You don't really NEED swap in normal use cases, and if your computer is using a significant amount of swap it will be unusably slow. These days I usually give my PCs 128-256MB of swap so the OS can swap out some infrequently used things in RAM and so it won't immediately crash if I use all the RAM on the system.

Preference. It's still being updated and everything so it's not obsolete.

Cool, thanks.

You probably can make a script for that

What do you Cred Forumsuys think of deepin?

What are those folders ending in ".d"? I'm aware that they are for configuration files, but I don't know how they work. Can someone put me in the right direction?

>Failed to load ldlinux.c32

Following this guide, youtu.be/XxEczHwHqgs and ran into this error at the end of the video. What went wrong?

More specifically, this happened after trying to reboot, and I'm installing alongside Windows 10

What's the most similar terminal to the gnome one, that has transparency options for debian?

As of right now, I'm just looking for an alternative to Windows.

I'm going to be duel booting Windows 7 (for mah gaymz). I like simple without all the crap and huge customization options.
I know I'll want to try a bunch, but just getting my feet wet now.
Better recommendation than Mint?

I'll look into it, but why?

What programming language should I learn if I want to make a widget(?) on my taskbar that tells me CPU temps/battery charge (yes I know There already is a battery meter in most DEs).

Apple Maps Address and Driving Directions Continued Incorrect Information After Four Years

The map address and driving directions in IOS devices continues to be incorrect in Apple Maps for 369 12 3/4 Ave., Almena, WI 54805. We have submitted over 15 requests over the past 4 years to have this corrected and submitted both geocoded photos with address information as well as Barron County, WI property and survey GIS records information showing the correct address but this remains inaccurate. On an IOS device if you enter the address 369 12 3/4 Ave., Almena, WI 54805 the map will take you to the correct location on the map but the map denotes an address of 369 12 3/4 Ave., Turtle Lake, WI 54889. And if you do driving directions to 369 12 3/4 Ave., Almena, WI 54805 the map will incorrectly identify take you to a location 369 S 4th Ave., Alpena, MI 49707, 500 miles away.

are there any cons of downloading to a stick instead of a disc for an install

Upgraded to 10.11.6 - now monitors don't work

We are running El Capitan on a Mac Pro (desktop not laptop) with AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics card.

It was displaying well on a Dell monitor. It stopped working around when we updated to 10.11.6.

We have tried connecting to different monitors and the TV. We have tried HDMI to HDMI on a Samsung, HDMI to HDMI to a Dell U2711, Thunderbolt to Display Port on a Dell U2715H, and Thunderbolt to Mini Display Port on a U2715H. In all these combinations no picture appears on the monitors/TVs and they say no signal is received.

We have tried resetting the PRAM and the SMC on the Mac. (in that order)

We can remote desktop the Mac Pro, so we know it is still working fine. On the top menu, if you try to see what display it is using, we see a greyed out "Connected Projector: Unknown Display". We don't have a projector.

It will play to our Apple TV. But we would like it to display to a normal monitor.

Any suggestions?

take a look at "conky" its not a programming language though, its a tool to create all kinds of overlays (basically it runs a script every X seconds and the script defines the layout of the widget. Conky works using the users shell so you could use commands like "free" and "top" to retrieve the wanted information then display it on the screen. (start with text output, go for graphs later)

have a Mac Mini and a MacBook Pro. I leave the Mac Mini turned on so I can remote into it using Teamviewer. I also often use the "Share Screen" feature on my MacBook Pro to remote into my Mac Mini when I am on the same network.

Sometimes, not always, when I remote in from either system my local monitor shows 4 squashed screens of the computer I'm remoting into (My Mac Mini). All 4 screens are the same. Another symptom is that when I move the cursor around, the portion of the screen that had the cursor move over it turns black, and then when I removed the cursor from the screen of the remote computer, the entire screen of the remote computer goes black.

I don't believe it is a Teamviewer issue because this happened when I used LogMeIn before they jacked up the price and I switched to Teamviewer. I have attached some pictures to show you what I'm talking about.

When I control the computer locally, it only shows 1 monitor attached.

Most of the time the stick is faster so thats a plus however most computers have their boot order set to disk>HDD>usb so you either need to select the boot device on startup or change the boot order in the bios settings

So I'm trying to ssh into my new vps and instead of it sshing as user I want it to ssh as root what command do I use?

su

Should i install arch instead of antergos?
Is it worth the time spent?

is it that hard to select the boot device? cause ill most likely do this

ssh root@youfaggyserver

thanks

antergos is basically arch with a nice ubuntu-like installer. if you want it quick and easy, go with antergos. if you want to learn stuff and be true to the arch philosophy, prepare to spend some time on learning arch.

>tfw already learned enough and just used arch architect for that ez pz setup

yeah, would suggest you install it normally if you want to learn a bit, even if it is really just copy and pasting from the install guide

Lurking here and reading the wiki I keep seeing allusions to some controversy regarding systemd. What's that all about?

What's the /fglt/ approved window manager/desktop environment?

I've been running cinnamon in arch but the cancer of the menu editor is really pissing me off. I don't like how the files are all over the place what with muffin being a fork of a fork of a fork and cinnamon being a weird fork of gnome. Do really like the layout of the UI though it's nice, clean, and vaguely reminiscent of Windows, which I enjoy.

Well, I like i3...

I have a centos vps for my C programming class with no sudo privileges. I want to install lua in my home folder, but it requires gnu readline.

So I compiled that. ok, but then the makefile couldn't find readfile.h,

so I added -I/path/to/readfile to the make options, but now it's saying that ld can't find -lreadfile

I added -L/path/to/readfile.a to the makefile options, but that didn't work.

I did an install of CentOS with GNOME but later realized I don't need a GUI. I did the most logical thing and simply disabled the GNOME DE, but when I reboot I get pic related.
Is this the regular boot screen even for minimal installs? I'm assuming no, but I need to leave no traces I used a GUI on this server

Dev incompetency and delusions of grandure
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
blog.lusis.org/blog/2014/09/23/end-of-linux/

fluxbox

How do you anons who put your home dir on a separate partition manage all the junk that accumulates there over time?

If you change distro, there will be unused/outdated configs, all kinds of cache and so much other crap you don't need.
When you have a couple of thousand packages, you don't even know what the fuck resides in your home dir.
What if you switch to a distro with older packages (say, from Arch to Debian stable/testing for example) and some of the configs break some programs because they assume some features that come with newer versions?

I only need to preserve my wm, dunst and ncmpcpp configs, bashrc, xresources, xinitrc, vimrc, downloads and documents.
I don't care about anything else.

Doesn't using a separate home partition cause more problems than it solves?

Won't get a straight answer here because Cred Forums is full of shills
Go to Gentoo boards or without-systemd.org

No.
1.Run program
2.Did it crash?
2a.It crashed, remove config
2b.It didnt go to 3
3. Run program

Repeat

>things i need
So go copy those things and delete the rest then?
You're being a pussy about shit, just fucking do it

I keep /home on my SSD for speed. I have a large HDD for media and documents.

If I'm reinstalling, my SSD gets wiped. My configs are backed up on my HDD anyway.

It causes no problems. I suppose it's useful if you break your install somehow and just want to say fuck it.

.d is directry

Sort of an unwritten rule to do it like this.
Let's say you have a huge .Xresouces file and want to split it in seperate files, then you do it like this:

|-.vimrc
|-.Xresources
|-.Xresources.d/
|- urxvt.resources
|- xterm.resources
|- more.resources
|
|

Then you include the files you want into the main config file.

If you like gnome-terminal, why not using it?

Standalone: Python. But you may have more fun with lemonbar (a blank panel which displays results of shell scripts).

MODS

Arch is for kids. Get a mature distro like Debian.

Systemd is free software, so there's basically nothing wrong with it. The wars are about the structure of it.

How do I include them?

Depends on the config, for the .Xresources example:

#include /path/to/resources/rainbow.colors

If you have a ยจ/.bash.d/bash.functions etc, you just

source /path/to/bash.functions

or just

. /path/to/bash.functions

whats the difference between source and . ?

>You should not share home directories between users on different distributions, because they use incompatible software versions and patches. Instead, consider sharing a media partition or at least using different home directories on the same /home partition.
--Arch wiki

None.

help source; help .

It's easy if you are not an idiot, so I understand why it may be difficult for Arch users.

>mature
>debian
>have to wait 5 years for new technolgy
>"but its ok just enable these 10 third party repo"

>systemd
>structure
Its more then just structure, its an incompetent dev throwing out garabge that his cult is sucking from his asshole.
It is usurping EVERYTHING
>my program isnt working
WELL JUST MAKE IT DEPEND ON SYSTEMD
THATS ALL YA GOTTA DO KIDDO

fdisk supports GPT, so why not just use that instead of gdisk?

Hey Cred Forums, can you help me out

I have a problem in my debian partition where, if multiple people are logged in, only one of them has access to the sound systems. That is, none of the others can play music if another one has an application that is handling sound in some way.

Is there any way I can make so all of them can handle sound simultaneously?

Stuff I want to completely nuke out of my Manjaro Xfce install and every trace of it.
Any possible way on how I can go about bulk/batch uninstalling all of this?

LibreOffice
HP Device Manager
Xfburn
Guyadeque
VLC
Bluetooth Manager
Bluetooth Adapters
Print Settings
Manage Printing
Dictionary

>new update available for gir1.2-gdkpixbufwhateverIalreadyStoppedReadingAtGIRL

dmix

Lightdm that comes with debian 8 looks fucking disgusting. How do I not make it look like it was fucking made in 2001

install gentoo

How about
sudo pacman -Rns LibreOffice HP Device Manager Xfburn Guyadeque VLC Bluetooth Manager Bluetooth Adapters Print Settings Manage Printing Dictionary

Is that really that difficult?

>Debian
No one wants a butthurt nu-male distro in his computer

C-Could you explain further, user

>How do I not make it look like it was fucking made in 2001
>Debian
But it was made in 2001, user.

Get manjaro net installer

Is there any compelling reason why I shouldn't use Fedora?

Hey /flt/. A question if you'd be so inclined to answer. Im using Ubuntu MATE 16.04. I have TOO many pictures. Family photos, wallpapers, porn. You name it. Many are a mixture of jpeg and .PNG. I'm looking to turn them all into .PNG via a converter located here

sourceforge.net/projects/abic/

Open source, works on Linux.

I'm also in the market for a utility that will rename all files in a folder, even better if the file can be renamed as it is going into a specific folder. Does such a thing exist?

Lastly looking for recommendations concerning a network traffic monitor. I'm paranoid enough as it is about data collection and privacy invasion. Last thing I want is to plug my family and vacation photos into a program that uploads them to a remote location without my knowledge. Is there a Linux network monitor that can see if a program is currently uploading or downloading data?

Would really appreciate input.

>How do I not make it look like it was fucking made in 2001
>Debian
But it was made in 2001,user.

Literally run it from pacman in one command. What's the problem?

C-Could you search the gentoo or arch wiki?
I gave you the name of what you are looking for, so you can search on it your own. If you're still having problems after you have tried it your self, feel free to post your config for how you are trying to do it

Well shit son, what distro do you recommend then?

bash and convert is all you need.

Why would you convert jpg to png? That's like converting mp3 to flac.

what's the best live cd os for privacy?

Turn off your wifi/unplug your rj45 when you are using them.

As for the rest of it
look in to imagmagick
You dont need a program at all
bash and imagimagick is it

Is there a way to configure bash to display some text every time it starts (e.g. when I open a terminal window)?

tails

I had this problem too. Turns out, apt is so slow, it only recently finished an update from 15 years ago.

>debian = apt

File naming convention. As it stands I can highlight all pictures, right click. Rename. Name them to "FPhotos(1)" and windows will auto rename everything highlighted. Problem is it'll create duplicate named files because they're separated by the OS by file type. I.e. I'll have 2 "FPhotos(1)". One in .jpeg, the other in .PNG.

And I know .PNG is just a larger container, but it makes naming and organization easier and I have plenty of disc space.

Any input so far as network monitor? I use htop occasionally to view running processes. Can that show network traffic?

>dat wallpaper
could you share your wallpaper user?

>Any input so far as network monitor? I use htop occasionally to view running processes. Can that show network traffic?
Someone did answer this exact question a few threads ago but I don't remember the answer. Have you looked at the arch wiki's list of applications? There's a ton there to look at in the mean time.

perl-rename is what I always use for renaming.

Umm, what?

>overall
nload, bmon, slurm, bwm-ng, cbm, speedometer, netload, vnstat, ifstat, dstat, collectl

>per socket
iftop, iptraf, tcptrack, pktstat, netwatch, trafshow

>per process
nethogs

Wrong person, soz

what program is that? I'm in the learning process too

meant to quote sudo pacman -Rccnnssu libreoffice hplip xfburn guayadeque vlc blueman bluez cups xfce4-dict

fuckin fuck meant to quotestag

[saku@Saku ~]$ sudo pacman -Rccnnssu libreoffice hplip xfburn guayadeque vlc blueman bluez cups xfce4-dict
[sudo] password for saku:
error: target not found: libreoffice
error: target not found: vlc
[saku@Saku ~]$ sudo pacman -Rccnnssu libreoffice
error: target not found: libreoffice

Find the exact package names then. Do you really not know how to do this? Manjaro comes with a gui package manager, use it and search for these packages and uninstall them from there.

Bump, did anyone have this problem? Every theme, except adwaita and contrast, looks broken. Maybe there is some component responsible for themes or gtk that can be reinstalled?

Your themes are not up to date.

bumpin this

whats some cool shit i can do with ubuntu?
rainmeter like stuff

>mint
>no backdoors
pick one

>rainmeter
>cool
conky.
You can grab and edit some configs from here to get you started.

damn link
dotshare.it/category/info/conky/

But I removed all incompatible themes and installed all the latest ones, complied for 3.20. And they still look broken.

Hey everyone. I used *buntu 16.04 a while back, but I have a radeon card. R7 370 to be exact.

The only drivers for that card that were available were the open source drivers, and they were immensely shitty. Does 16.04 have decent AMD drivers now or are they still abysmal?

Also, where's the desktop thread?

Welcome to gnome, where even compatible themes are broken.

Is there a good f.lux alternative for Linux that works on autostart?

I use redshift currently and it works awesome when I start it but it refuses to work when I set it to start on login. My method for autostarting works for stuff like xscreensaver.

Is this a problem with redshift or what should I do?

any faster alternative to fbgs to view pdf files in the framebuffer?

Add 'redshift &' to your .xinitrc of whatever your DE uses.

can someone help me with