Google Allo finally released!

>apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/allo-by-google/allo-by-google-1-0-006_rc18-release/

What does Cred Forums think of Google's 850th attempt at making a messaging app?

Other urls found in this thread:

androidpolice.com/2016/09/20/allo-weird-sms-explained-other-answers/
matrix.org/
matrix.org/docs/guides/faq.html
riot.im/
businessinsider.com/google-abandoned-its-plan-to-delete-messages-in-messaging-app-allo-2016-9
wire.com/privacy/
theregister.co.uk/2015/11/23/homebrew_crypto_in_telegram_app/
twitter.com/Snowden/status/778585040976502784
engadget.com/2014/12/03/wire-chat-app/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

botnet

first post best post

I don't have botnet services installed so I can't try it, but the consensus is it's shit.

/thread

It's pretty meh.

it's DOA

why would i use this over something like whatsapp?

>Facebook

>no sms
shits not even doa at this point it's basically an abortion

more like pseudo SMS

End-to-end encryption not on by default.
Everything that isn't end-to-end encryption is explicitly monitored.

And that's just the confidentiality angle. I honestly don't see the point of any of it at all.

No Linux client, no voice calls. I'd better continue to use Skype.

Will it not have PC/linux version?
thats pretty shit do they expect people to text from their phone al the time?

Does it actually not do SMS??

>>no sms
>shits not even doa at this point it's basically an abortion
This. Why does Google keep making new apps for a different messenging feature? Hangouts, Messenger, Allo.

wtf consolidate it

>Another fucking closed communication software that divides people even more instead of just staying with XMPP like they did in the past
It's shit. In 20 years we'll have like 30 messaging apps to talk to different people.

it does, but it's a stupid implementation.
androidpolice.com/2016/09/20/allo-weird-sms-explained-other-answers/

Here in Europe everyone and their wife's son uses WhatsApp. No one's going to use Duo/Allo/whatever meme app Google comes up with.

That's so odd, I'm down for change and what not, and if I feel as if one messaging app is better than others i'm open to switch.
I currently use groupme for group chatting and hangouts for sms messaging because I can access my texts on a computer in gmail.
If this did sms I wouldn't mind checking it out but i'm not going to have someone get a text that makes me look like a damn spam bot for a simple sms

Because they're that fucking desperate.

Just decide on a best messenger app g so we can all use that ffs...it's us that can't unite and finally support one thing.

So, it funnels your message through a proxy number?
That's basically the only way you can send SMS for free (assuming you don't want to send a normal SMS, which you may or may not pay for)

>All SMS goes through a special routing number rather than direct

Wow it's DOA. God dammit.

If they could just use normal SMS as a fallback it'd be bretty good. Seriously wtf Google. You already had this shit working in Hangouts, then you removed it, now you give us this fucked up piece of shit.

I like the idea and functionality of Allo, but not if I have to use a separate SMS app for this type of communication. Fuck.

matrix.org/ This might be up your alley. Open source, federated, e2e encrypted. Best of all they are working on bridges to interface with different services so that you only have to use one service to communicate with everything else. They already have some bridges (like IRC, twitter, etc.) and are working on new ones like skype. They also work on great bot support. They're using the Axolotl the one developed by Signal (Moxie Marlinspike). The guys also don't rely on donations because they have full time jobs and are sponsored by their companies. The FAQ is great for many of the important questions like this vs tox, vs irc, vs xmpp matrix.org/docs/guides/faq.html This is the web client riot.im/

Can't Google just make a fucking iMessage clone? Why the fuck does allo not support sms? Why the fuck didn't they just put duo and allo in one app?

Why do they let OEMs fuck up Android?

I'm honestly thinking about getting an iPhone. I haven't even rooted or flashed a ROM on my 6P.

Does allo compress photos that you send like hangouts?

I'm looking for a messenger that doesn't compress that shit for easy sharing.

Looks good, is it an attempt to make a good XMPP?

Because it's not as mainstream, so you get to feel special.

Cool shit user, thanks!

It's solid. People love to complain but it's great at what it is. It's a simple messenger for now. Not an sms replacement. They wanted to release something stable with a few nice features and they did it. I'm using it and it's great. Google assistant is amazing so far and I haven't had any problems talking to people.

Don't feed into the hive mind and just try it yourself.

I'd rather use something that was made by the NSA directly, because I trust them more with my private data than I trust Google.
>mfw the secret questions for password retrival are already answered when you make an account

And why exactly should I try it?
What does it offer over, say, Whatsapp or Wire (other than sending messages to Google and the government agencies)?

Shame about that code of conduct though

>Cred Forums is afraid of Google more than the NSA and Facebook

>Facebook actually is more botnet than what Cred Forums makes Google out to be

Holy shit Cred Forums get your fucking shit straight.

Terrible name and nothing will ever replace the established messengers.

So basically IRC on steroids? I tried it with Riot webapp, it's okay, but private conversations with a single person should be more transparent instead of creating a room and inviting him; and a contact list would also be good. Add voice rooms and you have a pretty nice federated and open replacement to Discord. If they plan to do this I'd be very hype.

Is this the only thing people care about nowadays? These things have existed in every community since forever.

this one will surely ride the wave to success.

Your os is a botnet

>use pronoun reflecting the person's gender identity
>identity
>IDENTITY
also
>simulated physical contact

I can't stop laughing

What's Cred Forums approved messenger?
Messenger and Whatsapp are Facebook's botnet.
Allo and Duo are Google's botnet.
Viber is botnet itself.
Telegram is unsecure, Signal requires Play Store to download it.

I'm not guaranteeing you'll like it like I did but one feature I'd say to try out is Google assistant with a friend or even by itself. It's a good reference mid conversation with someone. At the very least it's an interesting AI like system.

Also I'm not some l33t h4xx3r like most people on Cred Forums pretend to be so I could care less if Google uses some pointless conversation I've had with a friend to target ads toward me.

XMPP with E2E encryoption (OMEMO/OTR).

Too much work, not pragmatic.
So good FOSS messenging app is non-existent?

Tox.chat
or
Ring.cx

No, although Conversations (Android client) is making XMPP pretty easy to use. It's probably the only hope right now, they're only ones trying to advance the standard.

Since Tox died to drama I'd say so.

What do you mean by died to drama?
What exactly happened?

Tox was never alive in the first place.

Just some dev bullshit that happens with every 4chin project.

I didn't take that screenshot.

Tox is still alive and being developed, but I suppose the initial enthusiasm died down.

this

Is this suppose to make your conversations more or less autistic?

Not having friends is the best way to avoid botnet

>sms
>in the current year
sms is deprecated, retard

I keep getting notifications for this but the install button leads me to a dead end. Amazing!

>if the person you send a message to doesn't have Allo he gets "AnonDickSucker sent you a message with the SUPER SPECIAL Allo app and basically you are a fucking moron"
I'd say more

>The version of Allo rolling out today will store all non-incognito messages by default — a clear change from Google’s earlier statements that the app would only store messages transiently and in non-identifiable form. The records will now persist until the user actively deletes them, giving Google default access to a full history of conversations in the app. Users can also avoid the logging by using Allo’s Incognito Mode, which is still fully end-to-end encrypted and unchanged from the initial announcement.

lmao

No sms fallback, dead on arrival

Still not available in France.

I think he just means the general idea of texting.
You can only call with that trash.

If they were so butthurt about whatsapp success then why they didnt buy them

wtf I hate matrix now

Still going to use Telegram over this

No? It bans conversation that is seen as discrimatory against perceived disadvantaged demographics only, and any supports not having to explain or justify the logic for what is or isn't allowed.

'Don't be a jerk to people' conduct rules have been around forever. 'Don't be a jerk to certain people' rules, less so.

Tried it for 30 minutes. It's garbage.

Google abandoned its plan to launch a cool privacy feature with its new messaging app

businessinsider.com/google-abandoned-its-plan-to-delete-messages-in-messaging-app-allo-2016-9

GTFO!

>wife's son
Wouldn't that also be your own son, unless you got cucked

This. They should've just taken Signal and improved it a bit.

>literally installing a botnet by definition

BUT IT HAS EPIC EMOJIS SO WHO CARES

>thatisthejoke.jpg

toxchat

aaaaand dropped.

Trips of truth. Nicely put.

Ill stick with WhatsApp.

If they want me to use this they need to make it the default messaging app so that other people actually use it, as it's stands the only thing I'll do with this thing is pester my friends by sending them the invite.

Whatsapp sucks as well muh d00d
The fact that majority uses it doesn't mean it's best.
The only problem I have w/o Whatsapp is chatting with my retard friend who uses Windows Phone.

I never said it was good in fact I hate it, but like you said everyone uses it and when it comes to this the user base is what matters. Its no use to have the best messaging app if no one else uses it.

That's true but right now I'm forcing everyone into installing Antox and adding me. And people are doing it.
Be a revolutionator.

I think they learned butttfuck nothing. They are inventing garbage and ruining what's been good, what a fucking shitty company. Well, at least Android is doing well enough.

>no sms
>no webclient
>no api
I've been on jabber/hangouts since 2005 and I can't get out of this shit now.

It's DOA, nobody asked for another proprietary messenger with more botnet.

Google is simply a huge company now and they have departments that need to come up with new shit every year otherwise they lose their job.
That's the reason shit like this gets made.

>SMS notifications only work in United States, India, and Brazil

You can see who they're targeting with this shit.
Allo is literally made by Pajeets, for Pajeets.

>describing xmpp

The fact that they didnt make it sms capable drives me nuts because all this needed to be was iMessage for Android and they fucked it up

There really aren't any good message apps for Android that aren't things lile WhatsApp or hangouts so I don't know what they were thinking with this

Why is it so hard for them to just improve on hangouts?
The already have iMessage/FaceTime as a perfect example, all they have to do is replicate it.

>Name is spoken in a UK accent
Yep, it's Pajeet.

>There really aren't any good message apps for Android that aren't things lile WhatsApp or hangouts

And what's wrong with those? What's wrong with any of the other dozen message apps?

Why the fuck do people want more of these proprietary apps, the market is saturated as it is.
The only message apps that are missing are good open source decentralized ones. Tox and Ring are alright, but need some improvement.

How can I get my normie friends to switch from whatsapp? I'm a lot more comfortable with google's botnet than facebook's

Whatsapp is objectively better than this shit, though.

WHY THE FUCK has no-one mentioned Wire?

wire.com/privacy/

Jesus.

not op
how is it objectively better

I'll stick to Telegram thanks

1. Encryption enforced and enabled by default (except for videos, I believe).
2. Works on every phone, even fucking Symbian, and desktop/web app (still relies on the phone, though).
3. Lots of people actually use it.

>he doesn't know about telegram

theregister.co.uk/2015/11/23/homebrew_crypto_in_telegram_app/

enjoy your shit messenger

>that Pajeetess name
>google

Every time.

fuck off to Cred Forums retard

I use Kik messenger.

holy shit, how have i not heard of this before?

I still dont understand this sms messaging app trend

my phone has an sms messaging app. if i want to use a separate app its because i want to use a pseudonym and not give out my number. I want a Skype replacement, not another way to text

Probably because it's relatively new.

Objectively speaking, it's the best proprietary/centralized messenger right now.
(At least on paper, I admit I haven't used it much.)

1 - the features you sacrifice encryption for could be worth it for a lot of people
2 - doesn't matter since the mojoity of people with access to modern tech only have a pc/mac, a phone, and maby a tablet
3 - if everyone i know uses AIM then why do i care

everything you listed are preferences and don't prove that every person in every situation should chose whatsapp every time
i dont care what you like. if you wanna use whatsapp thats your decision, but fuck facebook and fuck anything mark zuckerberg owns

It's pretty fucking funny sometimes

>1 - the features you sacrifice encryption for could be worth it for a lot of people

I thought we were on a technology board.
Why would you willingly send the contents of your messages to Google/NSA/...

NSA, maby but google isn't a problem right now.
google is struggling to get into this market and are much more concerned with trying to build a user base. they want your conversation info so they can make the app better so people will actually use it, not so they can sell off your ssn. they dont have the power facebook and apple have with things like whatsapp, imessenger, and fb messenger. google wants to make allo goo, so people use it, so in 1-2 years they can use it as a marketing tool. they want money, and an app people dont use wont make them money

Why would you willingly send the contents of your messages to Facebook/NSA/...

Whatsapp is end-to-end encrypted.

But does Wire support SMS, for people who don't have Wire?

No and that's a good thing. Wire doesn't ask for your phone number, you can register with an email.

>that's a good thing
No, it isn't. Without SMS support I'll need to be switching between several messaging apps just to communicate with people, which is unacceptable.
Signal uses their messaging where it's possible and SMS where it's not. Wire is simply worthless until they add this simple feature.

How is it proprietary?
It's open-sourced and doesn't need proprietary dependencies.

>Without SMS support I'll need to be switching between several messaging apps just to communicate with people, which is unacceptable.

>Wire is simply worthless until they add this simple feature.

BULLSHIT.

You want to compartmentalize between the insecure SMS and secure Wire app so you DO NOT make the mistake of sending your communications over the wrong channel.

You're just a dickhead that insists on ONE APP FURRR EVERYTHING PREASE moron just to be a special fucking snowflake.

Fuck off.

and to a very large number of people, an app with useful features is better than a comparatively bare-boned one with encryption
also, every time you use that app youre giving money to mark zuckerberg and helping him turn the internet into an un-encrypted safe space. i vote with my money, and if i have to sacrifice encryption to prevent my money from going to zuckerberg, so be it

You sound like a Linux user. That's not something to be proud of.

cant say im wrong so you insult me huh?

SMS is archaic tech that shouldn't even exist anymore, especially when security/privacy is a concern.
If you have regular contacts who use it talk some sense into them. If it's just a random person here and there who cares.

The clients are open source, the server is proprietary.

>It's open-sourced and doesn't need proprietary dependencies.
google play services and the allo backend running on google servers are both completely proprietary and closed-source...

Oh yeah, and Signal is compromised. That's why Moxie gives other developers the run around, especially when it comes to distributing the app via other methods such as F-Droid.

You bitch about encrypted Whatsapp, but recommend unencrypted Google shit, because some dumbass normie might want to chat with a bot and that's such a cool feature?

Yeah, it sucks that Whatsapp is owned by Facebook, and ideally I recommend something else (even Wire, for example), but this new Google shit is even worse and giving more personal data to Google is just ridiculous.

I was talking about Wire mate.
What do you recommend then? Seems like a best solution so far to me.

>giving more personal data to Google is just ridiculous
says the guy owning a smartphone running an operating system developed and maintained by google.

you can not possibly give any more information to them

not secure enough for my texts
>MOM pick me up some chicken tendies on your way home

this is what happens when you give a bunch of POO IN LOO PRAJEETS a project to work on.

nothing gets done, shit doesnt work, and its a badly copied version of a copy.

Wire is fine and perhaps the best we have that can still be used by normies.
I'm just pointing out that it's still centralized/proprietary and so the company gets access to metadata and your contacts list.

There are fully open source decentralized chat apps, but then those have their own downsides.
So choose whatever suits you.

proprietary piece of shit.

im not "bitching" about anything. im saying that whatsapp is in no way "objectively" better than allo. both clients offer different fetures, belog to different companies, and give money to different people.
i dont like allo and i dont like whatsapp, and i dont care which one you use
i use ~5 different messengers because the people i know prefer different things and it's easier that saying, "oh no, i only use whatsapp so the NSA cant steal my tendies and pepes" when someone asks for my phone number

what about LINE? Or is it just jappo shit?

Well I installed it from the play store but it times out when I enter the SMS code.

Shit doesn't work nice launch Google.

/thread

Wire is made by the old Skype team.. the desktop clients are complete garbage but I still use it in web which is also garbage

>sms is deprecated
I don't get this meme? Is this a thing outside the states? Because everyone I know here still uses texting.

This. Seriously, why do people still use SMS? Fucking shithead teammates texted me even after I told them to use Slack and racked up my bill.

People in Europe that can't afford to send texts use it on free wifi to send messages.

But it's got cool stickers!

lmao I had no idea. Pretty much every plan I've seen here includes unlimited text.

Imagine if you could only receive texts for free in your state, sending them cost 10 cents, and sending any texts out of state costs a dollar.

Thats yerup.

>wave

As if that wasn't obvious already.

I have a plan with at&t that doesn't include texting. It costs $0.20 per text without a plan.

Impressed by the image recognition tho.

Is there no way to set Allo as default messaging application?

>I can only talk to John with Wire and Thomas with Telegram and George with WhatsApp and Jacob with Tox and...
Or
>I talk to everyone I know with this client, and it clearly levels what is and isn't secure.
Right, the first one is so superior. You've converted me to your side, user.

>needing to be in contract or pay to send messages

Lel.

SMS is ages behind. No wonder apple is so dominant there, iMessage has all the good shit from whatsapp and it also allows you to communicate with poorfag android users.

Allo, its me
Allo from the booottneeeeeeeet
I must have spied a thousand timeeesss

No, there's not actual way to use it as a regular texting/messaging app either

Into the garbage it goes.

and stay there

it really makes you think.

why didn't google just take the features from allo and duo and put them in hangouts?

>Google Allo

Why not just "Allo" or another name?, slapping "Google" won't make it fly, the opposite I think, such awkward naming sense.

The app is just called Allo.

Most people refer to Chrome as Google Chrome. People tend to throw Google's name into things even when Google doesn't.

Holy shit I laughed.
U ASS of AYY is definetely fucked man, raped with a strap-on

Has google even made a good product outside their search engine?

>doesn't understand what Allo means
>it's a derivative form of saying "HELLO"
>extreme shorthand verbalism
>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all

twitter.com/Snowden/status/778585040976502784

>being this new
How was your first summer there buddy?

>are you giving me a reach around without even kissing me

>muh SMS

Fucking Americans and their archaic technology. Nobody outside of clapistan uses SMS ffs no wonder they love Apple's cock.

Allo is the french word for hello, retard.

>implying not using a Jewgle service means using a Faceberg service instead
Kill yourself if you use either one.

Who's you country's Apple?
Microsoft?
Google?
Intel?
AMD?
IBM?

Why is everything always us if everyone else is so smart and inventive?

Finally I can have something resembling an assistant on Android.

Should play music on power amp when I command for instance.

I gave up my privacy for some nice Google features like maps.

Suit yourself, it's about choice.

I'm enjoying it. The struggle will be getting the family to switch. My girlfriend likes the stickers a little too much

>playing with google assistant
>phone crashed
o-okay

Maps

Whatsapp desktop client isn't standalone, it requires your phone to be on, connected and running whatsapp

I switched to Telegram then moved to Wire instead of hangouts and google botnet. I also use Plex Media Server at home for streaming and syncing video/pictures. Nextcloud/Owncloud is running as well to take care of everything else (still test driving it). All google services are uninstalled on all mobile devices at our house. I have seven tablets and seven smart phones (big family). We use F-droid or my folder of manually curated apps that I have stored on the server. One person uses Facebook still (waifu) but that's through the web browser and being phased out eventually. I have a few domains so all our email is handled through the host atm. I might switch to something like proton I'm not sure yet. I might ask around and see what people like for third party email. Running an email server at home is a pain and not worth it.

kek

Even your phone knows you are gay, son.

So what's their business model?
Who are the investors?
Who founded the company?
What's their infrastructure like?
Where is it located?
What is their privacy policy?

Also, always end-to-end fucking sucks.
It only works if you use like one client, let's say your phone. You can't just hop back and forth on your PC and continue the chat.

Mind you, some services allow you to do that (WhatsApp IIRC), but then you know it's already fucked.

Started looking it up:
engadget.com/2014/12/03/wire-chat-app/

> 2014
> it's still unknown in 2016
> "relatively new"

Well. I don't think so.
Something must be fucked with it.
The red flags are all over the place.

Now I installed it, started the web app.
It smells like hipster shit.

Seriously it looks like a flimsy Instagram clone.
For chat.

wtf?

>It only works if you use like one client, let's say your phone. You can't just hop back and forth on your PC and continue the chat.

Wire claims they do that. Don't know about hopping back and forth, maybe the conversation gets reset, I didn't try it.

Always end-to-end is the only way if you actually care about privacy. You might have to sacrifice some convenience, but the alternative is being spied on.

And Whatsapp doesn't really have a desktop/web client, it's just an interface for your phone.

They only added proper encryption in 2016. There was no reason to care about it before.

It just feels like ass, son. I really wanted something new.

I love Telegram, it is the most feature-packed, most convenient messenger I ever used.
But there is no privacy there. End-to-end works, but fuck that, it's for short conversations, because it's inconvenient as hell.
And, audio calling/video calling/other languages would be very nice to have.

Then again, as I said, it's the most feature packed.
Can use bots, can paste shit, can send huge files, it's awesome.

>It's shit. In 20 years we'll have like 30 messaging apps to talk to different people.
in 20 years? the market is divided enough already.

Besides that, why whould I trust in a google product that they will kill when they feel like it because reasons?

Google is Google worst enemy

fucking gay.

Wire

Wire is based in Switzerland like ProtonMail. They offer great encryption and absolutely crystal clear calling (better calling than Signal). It can be accessed on the web and they offer to not save data history on devices you don't frequently use.

How do I get my normie friends to switch to Wire?

I don't understand Allo.

Why doesn't it allow me to text from my Google Voice number like Hangouts does?

not an argument :^)

You're autistic

does snowden bash facebook as much as he bashes kikebook? i mean, i like the idea of having multiple companies offering the same kind of service so it does not turn into a monopoly.
we are more alike to google than full blown proprietary kikebook.

>TFW talking with google waifu

NoBody uses
Wire \/ All Others X

Still no features like MSN Messenger had.

Into the trash with it.

Hey guise how about we use ICQ again :^)

This code of conduct makes the people who wrote it, and the people they wrote it in defense of,
look like they have no emotional control whatsoever and that they have to be treated on the level of infants.

The whole CoC(k) is so damn exploitable it's not even funny. Might as well not communicate at all with people using it, that's the only way to avoid ticking any of those points.

There is a general trend i have observed with regards to such rule systems.
The more specific and detailed they are, the less humane communication is. It deteriorates to the level where you might as well put 2 bots in a chatroom to speak to each other.

>ICQ
Have fun with your shit clients, shit account system (numbers? LOL) and shit smileys, ICQ nigger :^)

Also: implying ICQ isn't AIM

That's a good nostalgia point too. How is it we've had IM's forever like ICQ, IRC, AIM, MSN, Yahoo and more yet still lack in this department? Trillian and Pidgin are there but you don't exactly use those on mobile last I checked.

COCKED

Your fault for living in a shithole Emily

I use hangouts on a daily basis

He did say Europe, so yeah...

>Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg. textual descriptions like "hug" or backrub") without consent or after a request to stop

they anticipated this...

Installed it for like.. 10 minutes, then delete it when it start asking so many permissions.

'Allo? 'Allo? Je m'appelle jean-jaque-pierre-luke colbert, *laughs in french while stroking french beard*

Deprecated or not I use SMS, because the only messages I get from employers are important actually.

I had saw many colleagues being bombarded by employer whutsapp inane messages at every waling hour, because those are free. When the bosses are faced with the possibility that they will be charged whatever a SMS cost, you'll be surprised how much useless messages you stop receiving.