Microsoft Signature PC program blocks Linux installation

What are you tards doing? Wake up!

> "This system has a Signature Edition of Windows 10 Home installed. It is locked per our agreement with Microsoft."

reddit.com/r/linux/comments/53ri0m/warning_microsoft_signature_pc_program_now/

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/fOmHw
i.imgur.com/B7gMpFL.png
youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4&t=30
forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-10/Guide-How-to-Clean-Install-Windows-10-on-Recent-Lenovo/td-p/3432798
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

tl;dr

So?
Just don't install Windows.

> the SSD is locked in a proprietary RAID mode that Linux doesn't understand. Laptops known to be affected include the Yoga 900 ISK2, Yoga 900S, and Yoga 710S, which all have the same issue according to posts I've read on Lenovo's Linux forum.

archive.is/fOmHw

Lenovo are always the first to force this kind of stuff on users.

You don't install windows, it's PREINSTALLED
i.imgur.com/B7gMpFL.png

So? Just remove it and install Linux.

It's a fixed bios lock.

you can't just install Linux.
It needs some stupid driver for windows to recognize the drive, and you can't just change the setting in bois because its blocked

>Buying Lenovo
WHY?

They have the single worst support and make the most unreliable crap

>To run linux
Oh never mind OP is literally from reddit and they are all retarded

youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4&t=30

Why not just buy a computer with linux already installed if you're going to use linux?

>They have the single worst support and make the most unreliable crap
Is there any reason to buy new Lenovo at all?
Seems like the xy20 line was the last good they had. And even then it's got Lenovo written all over it with memory frequency locks and wifi whitelists.

Just install it on an USB stick ;^)

>So they admitted that this is now a requirement for Signature PCs.
>So be warned that if you buy a "Microsoft Signature PC", it may not be allowed to run Linux, per Microsoft.
They are getting REALLY desperate now, aren't they

>Linux doesn't understand
So... this is just a funny way of saying Linux doesn't have drivers?

How is this Microsoft's fault?

Stop blaming Microsoft for all your failures, you're worse than niggers!

Even windows does not "understand" it out of the box, you have to manually load the SPESHUL driver.
forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-10/Guide-How-to-Clean-Install-Windows-10-on-Recent-Lenovo/td-p/3432798
The problem is basically that they hid the option in the BIOS by purpose.

But Microsoft

>Microsoft

Lenovo is shooting themselves in the foot, this is already going viral, expect it to be all over the internets soon. including slashdot

Just like with the rootkit? Or the second rootkit?

it will force Lenovo to backpedal and go in to damage control mode, despite microsoft being the dominate player on the desktop Lenovo is not going to throw millions of customers under the bus over this, too many people like linux and even though Linux is a minority it wont go away

But Lenovo wasn't much of a consideration for Linux users to begin with. Their older, more IBM style models were, but nowadays it seems most people are using laptops like the XPS dev editions, or cheaper laptops where you plug in and install Ubuntu.
Lenovo's X1 Carbon is the only one I've seen around with people using Linux on it.

Fun time for a linux hardware hacker. I give it one week until a beta driver is available.

not sure if trolling, absolute cuckfag, or retarded

>someone needlessly reinvents the wheel as an octagon
>its as bad as it sounds
>"stop hating progress

The computer can't boot Windows either, so it's not a "hurr durr Linux has no drivers!!11" problem.

What anime

That's not anime, that's real life. In 1724 japan was attacked by a giant skeleton monster killing half of the population. The godzilla movie is based on this incident

I can't think of any computer that comes with Linux.

Because most of them are expensive as shit or underpowered for the price

This is classic fake raid problem. how is 10 year old problem, news now?

>buying a device with proprietary BIOS
Sounds like you should've known what you were getting into.

Dell sell some

>> "This system has a Signature Edition of Windows 10 Home installed. It is locked per our agreement with Microsoft."
Then disable secure boot ...

>and you can't just change the setting in bois because its blocked
Don't steal laptops then, Jamel.

wew I was just about to buy a thinkpad

Why?

why does windows feel the need to use force if it's not a malicious botnet

Because they have to compete with Windows 7.

I heard they were well made (may have been old meme), was going to install debian on it , but apparently that's impossible

You can actually order a Lenevo with Windows 7 on it, but it's a paid downgrade from Windows 10 so it's probably still a botnet prison

No, only up until the x220, t420 and w520. And then it's a value product.
First it was IBM, then Lenovo bought the pc branch of IBM, and slowly but surely made it Lenovo. And now you have this.

The Dell XPS developer (13 and 15 inch) have Ubuntu OOB. There's also System76.

Windows 7 does have the telemetry updates out of the box.

So this is really just a case of Lenovo being a bunch of fucking retards again?

> calling anything past xx20 a thinkpad

Are people forgetting that the signature editions are sold by microsoft? Lelnovo isn't really at fault this time.

This is where you return the product and demand a full refund.

Holy shit this is a pretty big deal

M$ finally trying to kill Linux

wow you were warned

Lenovo killed and raped the IBM brand, just like what they've done to Motorola. Not to mention Superfish where they literally implanted spyware into their computers. Any idiot who buys Lenovo products deserves this shit.

>Naming something only fat autistic neckbeards use "Yoga".