He bought an RX 480

>He bought an RX 480
>"I-I'm futureproofing!"
>Vulkan API already having performance issues
>DX12 won't be a standard in games for another 3-4 years
>"M-Muh 50% better performance in DOOM!"

AMD doesn't make bad cards, but why subject yourself to inferior performance RIGHT NOW by "futureproofing"? You literally bought a midranged card that you're going to replace in 3-4 years anyway. It won't matter by then.

>tfw bought r9 380
>massive stuttering
>memory clock at max 24/7
>hot as fuck because ^

Fuck you all AMDrone shills. This is not cool...

I didn't want to futureproof, I just wanted to have good performance at max settings at 1440p.

So obviously I bought the GTX 1070 because AMD didn't have anything to offer which provides similar processing power.

Oh, another thing. This PowerTune shit is the most retarded thing I've ever seen. Fucking useless feature that only fucks up your performance. The idea is great, but is poorly executed, like almost everything from AMD.

perf/cost wise, it's a better GPU than the 1060

deal with it shill

Yeah I bought a Q6600 when they came out and even now a bunch of stuff doesn't use 4 cores. Now I just buy the best product for now instead of guessing that something will be better later on.

oh well, since nobody is using this thread.
Is an rx 470 enough fo me?
I need:
- multiple android emulators on linux
- good open source driver on linux
- decent performance on cities: skylines and civilization V and VI (windows 7)

I can get it for € 200 while an rx 480 costs €270 and as you can see I don't really need something powerful

>multiple android emulators on linux
shouldn't be a problem

>good open source driver on linux
later GCN GPUs and Polaris are well supported by AMDGPU. they're not as fast as nvidia proprietary (AFAIK) but they're way better than nouveau.

>decent performance on cities: skylines and civilization V and VI (windows 7)
yeah that's a no brainer.

The msi rx 470 clocks very well to 480 levels, 8gb is overkill but 4 is too little with a lot of bells and whistles.

It was to be my option if I didn't go full retard on a discounted 1070.

W R O N G

Look at every benchmark on DX11 games, aside from three games, Nvidia is always on top by a decent margin.

AMD doesn't make bad video cards, but the whole point that people tend to bring up when faced with those numbers is "W-Who cares, DX11 games will be a thing of the past in 3 or 4 years!"

>API
>having performance issues
>low level API
Oh no, he's retarded

Trying to speculate on dx 12 did my head in and caved anyway. In all honesty I play a lot of low end things like EDF, God Eatet, Siege. May sell the 1070, go 470 and a better monitor.

the only review I looked at (guru3d, known to be Nvidia shills) had the 1060 at a roughly 5% advantage at DX11, and even losing out in some games.

overall, both products were situationally better than the other, and proved to be of roughly equal value. but the 1060 cost significantly more.

dx12/vulkan perf is just an icing on the cake; the 1060 will further lose value as time advances. the notion that "vulkan/dx12 won't come for 3 years" is bullshit because we already have commercial titles out right now using those APIs.

nvidia is the apple of GPUs. the more you think about it the worse of an idea it is.

Vulkan is being used by very few games right now.

Google "Vulkan driver issues" and you'll see a ton of people having issues with Vulkan drivers. They're not ready yet and will probably be ready and in MOST games in 2 years. Dota 2 is the only game I tested where Vulkan consistency works without crashing.

Nvidia and AMD trade blows in DX12, that's true. Once again though, it depends on the games you play. BF1 has Nvidia with a lot better performance. I think the 480 averaged 101 frames and Nvidia averaged 128 on high settings.

99% of games are DX11, Nvidia has that market cornered.

Why does Rise Of The Tomb Raider do well in dx 12 on Nvidia cards? Is it due to some gameworks stuff?

Problem is in some places the 1060 is cheaper, although I fully agree with it not being geared towards dx 12 does a loss in dx 11 performance in return for not an equal gain in dx 12 really compel a lot towards the 480?

AMD is what it is, a cheaper alternative to Nvidia.

No AMD cards compete with the 1070 currently. It's all about the midranged cards which is what most people buy. AMD has a few good options, but they always fall a bit short in certain areas.

They draw more power, they run hotter, they run louder. Show me one AMD card that does one of the three lower than an Nvidia card that's made by the same brand. You can't.

That said, I the Nitro+ is a great looking card. Compact, lowkey. If I was autistic and had a window or gave a shit what the hardware in my computer looked like I'd honestly buy one for the aesthetics.

>DX12 won't be a standard in games for another 3-4 years
Except for how it's already a standard right now and almost every new decent AAA game will support it by Q4 next year.

Yup, the rx 470 nitro I suggest to a lot of people but I'm autismal about noise.

>Problem is in some places the 1060 is cheaper,
Those places are retarded.

Here in aus the 480 is $40 cheaper and trades blows with the 1060 in DX11 while having a clear lead in non-gimpworks DX12 titles, plus vulkan support, plus freesync monitors being MUCH cheaper and more common than gsync.

>doom

You mean Mankind Divided right?

The Nitro has issues where the fan spins at 0% on idle. A great idea for noise, but since AMD's drivers are coded by retards, there's a bug where it does this on games and fans pick up to the max 2300 RPM.

It's not even Sapphire's fault. It's such a shame their engineering and design has to be ruined by AMD's incompetence.

You can fix it by using trixx to set your own fan profile, which is what you should do anyway since the default fan profile for ANY video card, AMD or Nvidia, is fucking retarded

Cred Forums has too long been infested with Windows gamer kiddies. It's time to purge them once and for all.

Any of the following regularly occurring threads on Cred Forums is either directly or indirectly about Windows gaming:

* Intel vs. AMD threads
* GPU threads
* Various types of rig/battlestation/guts/Speccy threads ("What parts should I buy, /g?" "Is this part good, Cred Forums?" "Check out my specs, Cred Forums.")
* All Windows discussion and support threads (obviously)

These threads only serve to discuss products for playing video games. They have nothing to do with programming, networking, security, privacy, freedom, design, usability, or anything else Cred Forums related.

These threads and the people who post within them belong in either or as they are the appropriate boards in which to discuss their hobby, along with "console war" and "PC vs. console" threads. This should be Rule #4 for Cred Forums and it should be aggressively enforced until the children finally get it and move on.

This is the thread to petition Hiroshimoot to cure the Cred Forums cancer in Cred Forums. If you really care about technology and not just vapid consumerism, help by adding your voice to this discussion.

We can do it, Cred Forums.

----

Winkcucks don't care about technology in general.

All they care about is the product, not the method. Product is and the method is .

Products are GPU shitstorms, speccy threads, guts threads, casing threads etc.

A typical winbabby's perception of judging a GPU is "Gaming benchmarks".

None of the gamer wincuckolds are interested in the method or process of making games. Game is not technology, programming games is.

Buying GPU is not technology and neither is discussing which build will play the latest manchild games.

Wincuckolds do not care about privacy and cryptology. They are more invested in games.

If all they care about is the ability to play games they should move to

Hey guise how do I set up steam in Linux

hey user i really like programming on my chinkpad, low spec pcs ftw!

Yeah, my 1070 is at 57c idle, I'd rather it make some sound and be cooler. What's your fan profile?

sudo apt-get install steam

thanks anons.
I'd like to play modded cities skylines with some texture mods, so i think 4GB of vram is enough for me.

I have a gtx 660 with 3GB and i've never met memory bottlenecks at 1080p

>Literally shilling on an anime image board

wew

>Discussing performance of technology does not belong on Cred Forums because the benchmark is Vidya and that Cred Forums shit

this shit really bugs me because you obviously dont own and havent owned any of the GCN cards but you still spout rumors you happened to read on Cred Forums or somewhere else
power draw is undeniable but is also a very minor issue
the temperature and noise levels depend on the fucking cooler. are you buying stock? then yeah theyre gonna be louder and this is true for both nvidia and amd
i use a sapphire tri-x r9 390 and its not very loud at all. the GPU temps stay at 75C~ maybe 78C on a hot day while being 100% load for hours continuously and the fans dont even hit 60%
so where the fuck do you have this experience with "really hot loud and power hungry amd gpus" have you personally witnessed it or are you just quoting shit

all of the new midrange GPUs are worse than the high range ones they are replacing. They're all shit

everyone should be buying a $300 Sapphire Fury or waiting for Vega. That, or dropping $400 on a 980ti or 1070