Okay Cred Forums

Okay Cred Forums,
After 10 years I'm leaving core 2 duo as backup desktop and building a 6600k rig. What did I miss during this time?

not a single fucking thing.

videogames

and that's it

pretty much nothing

tech world is total shit now

Is that the private key for DVD encoding?

a 2500k and some memes

Bring out the memes

Literally fucking nothing man, maybe that SSDs became more popular. Gaming is shit, and won't ever be good again.

>core 2 duo
Had to do things with several C2D pc's with Windows 10 on them. How on earth have you managed so far?

Fuck, that's depressing.

I adapted on the way using as much light software as possible. To be honest, using Windows 10 isn't that bad if you don't get cocky with your resources.

I'm building a new pc mostly because of stability issues. I would have to increase voltages to keep e8400's normal clock speed.

there will never be enough resources
if you get more you just find a use for it
I would have to be a billionaire to do what I want to do with computers.

>falling for the skymeme

Why is Skylake a meme, user?

bad time to upgrade tbqh senpai, get a quickfix of a q6600 for now and upgrade when kaby launches.

Because it's nothing different at all, just like every Intel CPU generation you've missed

You missed the death of FSB and its replacement DMI. You also missed that on-board GPUs are inside the CPU instead of the motherboard chipset. And you missed the return of Hyperthreading.

Oh and every motherboard has an M.2. slot now and supports the NVMe interface for SSDs.

That's about it really.

>skylake is no different from core 2 duo
there's a point where trolling turns into delusion

Yeah, skylake is not much of an upgrade over e.g. haswell, but core 2 duo is in another world

So you do imply that all Intel's cpu's since C2D are memes.

I gave my mom an old e7200 pc with 3gb ram and installed a 128gb ssd. It's very useful for light tasks now

They're marginal memes, they're only memes compared to generation (n-1). When added up over many years there can be a reasonable improvement but from gen to gen it's all marginalized memes

Thanks for a quality reply, user. Any advantages DMI has over FSB or it is just marketing?

>desktopfags

So should I expect that 6600k will last a long time since there's little or no improvement from gen to gen?

>Any advantages DMI has over FSB or it is just marketing?

FSB was supposed to be a long-running bottleneck on Intel systems, so I suppose it probably is quite an advantage. Nothing that you'll physically see of course, but a significant performance boost.

I remember AMD's version Hypertransport had proven advantages over FSB way back in the day, so I think it's not a meme.

It's nice that DMI means that the clocks for different components are now uncoupled, though. Core 2 Duo motherboards were notorious for keeling over and dying if you tried overclocking 4 or more sticks of RAM. Why? Cause the chipset would have its own internal clock go high and get crazy hot. And very few people bothered to cool it. At least those days are over.

Let's see, 10 years ago we got more cores...uhhh like 8 years ago we got more cores...and then 7 years ago intel brought back hyperthreading from the P4 days.

SSDs are more widespread than they were in 2006? Still prohibitively expensive for more than your main applications.

Literally everything is just more powerful.

Also forgot one more thing.

The death of legacy bios and the birth of UEFI on PC.

Legacy BIOS is still very much alive in 2016. I use it on all my machines without fail.

Oh yeah, except Intel is already working on non-silicon wafers, it might be 5-10 years before it's actually finished and sold but the future of CPUs looks pretty much dead until that point