Lenovo blocking Linux installs on some laptops

zdnet.com/article/lenovo-reportedly-blocking-linux-on-windows-10-signature-edition-pcs/

>To improve system performance, Lenovo is leading an industry trend of adopting RAID on the SSDs in certain product configurations. Lenovo does not intentionally block customers using other operating systems on its devices and is fully committed to providing Linux certifications and installation guidance on a wide range of products -support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd031426. Unsupported models will rely on Linux operating system vendors releasing new kernel and drivers to support features such as RAID on SSD

Is that even accurate?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_13_(2016)#Content_adaptive_brightness_control
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

That's cool.

Not of any indication, Acer doesn't have this problem as well.

And what's the problem?

Companies blocking what you can do with your machine because of the Windows Signature Meme Edition?

So then don't buy the laptop from microsoft if you don't want to be locked in to using using miscrosoft's OS?

>Linux has terrible driver/hardware support
>Blames manufacturer
Ok.

Are you saying Linux doesn't support RAID on SSDs?

>Manufacturer blocks BIOS settings
>Blame Linux kernel developers
OK.

Linux doesn't werk. News at 11.

too bad amdoomed stoped supporting coreboot

>manufacturer doesn't provide drivers
>blame linux

>manufacturers doesn't provide anything so the community can make those drivers without costing the company a penny
>blame the linux community

Ok.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Couldn't you get around this by not using the ssd? I'm assuming this refers to those shitty 15GB m2 ssds they use for the OS.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Go to hell freedom fags!

Also in all seriousness this is not w big deal if your a real programmer you should be able to figure how to write your own updates :^)

So I assume you're on this board because it was the default on clover.

>We will someday live in a world where all modern computers and laptops will demand windows 10 only or it won't work
How does this make you feel, Cred Forums?

>Lenovo
>Found to have pre installed malware
>Blocks Linux

Why do people buy this PRC spying device?

because the clitmouse is comfy and I like getting 20 hours of battery life

Nope I just misread the article. I thought it was a specific config that Linux just didn't have support for. Turns out this actually is an intentional action taken by the manufacturers, I was wrong.

The Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition with InfinityEdge Display doesn't have this problem either.

Who cares? One shitty laptop in a literal sea of choices. I'm not losing any sleep.

>One shitty laptop in a literal sea of choices
This

Lenovo is an enemy of freedom and should be avoided at all costs
>pic related

If you have to buy a shitty laptop buy an HP, they have the best shitty laptops on the market

muh thinkpads

But it looks like a pain in the ass in daily use : wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_13_(2016)#Content_adaptive_brightness_control