You have to choose only one programming language that you will use. What will you choose?

You have to choose only one programming language that you will use. What will you choose?

Ruby

Python

>Python
/thread

Jobascript. A lotta frameworks, a lotta powah.

html, obv

>programming language
>html

pick one

Common Lisp.

Seeples
Anything else is just memes and compromises

>C
Why use anything else anyway?

Probably this

XSLT

A "get stuff done"-oriented Lisp, i.e. CL or Clojure.

If Clojure had a shorter REPL startup time and better error messages, I would use it for pretty much everything I do.

>> Python
Not limiting myself to a language which is 100 times slower than C. It's only really good when you can use it to run code written in other languages, and OP didn't make it clear if that was allowed, or if Cython/Rpython are separate or not.

C#

b-but, my degree..

Some people aren't masochists

NALUHODO

Java

This.
It will have some kind of library that would let me use high efficiency modules from other languages ala numpy anyways.

PHP

C++
Why need more?

C, you can make pretty much anything in it.

Ada, just to get away from all the silicon valley bullshit and work on something real

This.

C, of course.

All your operating systems are written in C or have a kernel written in C. All the duckface pictures that you host on twitter/instagram/facebook are stored in a database by an engine that is written in C. All the programs that your crappy computer runs are written in C or a languages that derives from it (aka C++), or in a scripting language that is run by a program written in C. Your damn python, your pretty ruby, your fucking lua, are all just C. You were born from C, kiddo.

Haskell

/thread

B...but its unreadable, user

You might want to criticize something else about Haskell because it's very readable.

Please mean this unironically, Ada is fucking GOAT and I'm really sad its not used for much anymore

matlab

what about IO

Maybe for the non-initiated. What about it is particularly hard to read for people who do know Haskell?

Id be stupid not to pick c++

Assembler, I will just rewrite C++ with it

Horrible choice. Even Python with open-source numerical packages is better for numerics these days.

Mathematica is the one true choice for a math-oriented language.

Lua

USAF has mostly switched to C++. But yes, I'm learning C++ at the moment for more or less this reason. There's lots of nice "industrial" industry jobs for someone with a "hard" engineering degree and Matlab + C/C++ experience.

C-derived languages are not my favorite language family. But systems programming languages have the more interesting jobs and C/C++ is the default choice for that role. I saw an ad for a Forth programmer with engineering degree by an aerospace contractor near where I live though, might apply for that.

Do I get to continue learning about it? I can painstakingly get through C and am native in Java but my C++ professor swears you can do anything with the language