How do you guys feel about our automated future? Frankly, I think it's a good idea...

How do you guys feel about our automated future? Frankly, I think it's a good idea. But I wonder if prices will go down or if companies will be able to keep prices high.

>if prices will go down or if companies will be able to keep prices high.
The fuck do you think?

I'm ok with things like fast food cashiers being automated but stuff like live support call centers should always be staffed. I fucking hate calling about an issue I'm having with something and having to talk to a fucking robot.
Also with the fast food bit, there are still people working the restaurant in the back prepping the food, cleaning, ect.

Low skilled work will be replaced by robots, but anyone saying it will be a NEET communist society is either delusional or shitposting. What will happen is that jobs that robots cannot replace will remain and jobs to keep the robots maintained will become a new thing.

>if prices will go down or if companies will be able to keep prices high.

well that depends if the robot is more or less cost efficient than employing a human...

also depends on a ton of other things, will it drive away old customers? will it invite new customers? etc

Some stuff i like automation, some things I'd rather interact with someone, some stuff I'd rather do myself (like fill my own gas. Oregon, you are fucking weird)

>prices going down
literally never happens

Prices will stay the same which will be as a reduction when inflation is taken into consideration. I don't have a problem with automated ordering because that's where mistakes are made the most. I think Panaera bread did a study that showed that 1 in 4 orders ends up being mistaken and that it occurred at the cashier counter.

Honestly I wished we could go back to automats since none of the food in fast food restaurants are prepared fresh on site anyway. It's all made offsite and heated back up in the restaurant.

There are already robots that can make the food. Cleaning is a maybe but you could argue the robots would cut down on the mess anyways. The interesting part is when automation really starts taking over. Are you gonna pay a technician to sit around all day waiting for something too happen? Maybe a 3rd party would control all of that and they'd have dozens of techs in every city, providing service to multiple companies?

Are you still gonna keep a manager in every store/restaurant just in case? Whos gonna want a lonley job like that?

I don't think it will completely revolutionize the world but I think it will lower prices and demand for human produced goods will rise.

Just tax the robots.

>I wonder if prices will go down
Prices won't go down. The reason automation is even being considered at this point is due to the cost of labor. Labor costs way too much and there is a large burden put on businesses by the state. This applies to Europe generally as well. The state makes it a costly liability for this labor so there's little point to it. If the food service industry automates expect more black riots in the USA as almost all of them will be out of jobs. The state has favored employing as many blacks and women as they can but it won't be enough. That community will crash even further. Internships are already a thing for teens so I expect that to continue.

labour costs go down and prices go down too , competition increases for customers to visit food sites
prices will come down too

We aren't in a free market in the USA or Europe so no they will not. All of these costs are fixed for the part. The labor component is the one factor that has made prices go up faster than usual due to the state. Automation will only level it off for a time. Printing of money will make prices up as a sure bet as always. The state may also decide to change regulations along the various steps of production.

>selecting an item with your middle finger
what did she mean by this?

in the end it'll be better
but we need top find things for people to do
more prostitutes, maybe? I don't know.

>Are you gonna pay a technician to sit around all day waiting for something too happen? Maybe a 3rd party would control all of that and they'd have dozens of techs in every city, providing service to multiple companies?

That's already happening. Ever done any consulting that involves maintenance contracts?

It's very common to see businesses get "free" equipment, but they pay a monthly service/maintenance fee (similar to cell phone plans).

As a consultant, it's way easier(and more profitable) to walk into a business and offer them 100 new PC's at $5,000 a month + free maintenance for 24 months vs $100,000 upfront.

Or I meant to say, offer 100 "free" PC's with a $5k/mo maintenance contract.

>Are you gonna pay a technician to sit around all day waiting for something too happen?
There's many software companies out there that give away their software and make all their money off support. BurgerBot as a Service

Also, this method is typically more advantageous for businesses from a tax standpoint as well

would i have to tip the kiosk?

It really means a few megacorporations will hoard all the robotics, which will require us to give massive control to the nation state in order to avoid society collapsing (that's right lolbertarians)

So either citizen's income or nationalised robotics industry. Hmm.

Good, fuck those retarded democrat voting dindus. I'm stuck in Jew York which has the highest cost of living in the union and I'm not paying an extra $5 for a shitty crushed burger because Tyrone and Shaquisha wanted to roll their eyes and act like baboons in high school.

Probably that at first, but it will (hopefully) lead to a form of robot communism that actually works. [spoiler]Star Trek[/spoiler]

Or maybe an advanced AI will rule humanity.

>What will happen is that jobs that robots cannot replace will remain
Like what? I mean now there's lots of things robots can't do, but what about AI in the future. Like a robot that can think, and can do so more intelligently and creatively than a human.

That's a different technology. what user meant was the current evolution which is automating task which can easily be automated. AI with humanlike intuition is still a ways off.

>the robots

>at mcdonalds
>try to order burgers
>fat fingers slip on screen because of grease
>accidentally order a salad instead
>starve

If by "literally never" you mean "almost always", sure.

Maybe initially, if only one firm in the market has access to automation and can restrict it to themselves through patents or whatever, then they can pocket the savings. Eventually, though, the next company that cuts labor expenses will notice they can increase their market share by passing along the reduced cost, and then every competitor must adapt.

Old people amirite

Who isn't already doing this with their phone?

I work in a restaurant at an International Airport that is half automated. As a server in the restaurant, all of our guests order their food off of iPads. I do not take orders personally and my role is to assist and guide them through the iPad ordering process.

These orders are then sent to the bar and the kitchen, for food and drink respectively. You can order expensive glasses of wine and food depending on the restaurant, there are 6 in my airport.

What this allows is a smaller and better paid staff. While we do get incredibly busy at times, rarely is it completely overwhelming. You can tip through the iPads and that is automatically added to our check every week.

Is the system perfect? No. They are fucking iPads. They will crash, freeze up, or lag when going through the order process. The lag is the most frustrating thing because a guest will click on an item, nothing will happen, so they tap it again and again and then suddenly they have 3 of those items because the system was lagging. We'll get repeat orders, which are easily resolved but it's a repeat occurrence that requires attention. If an iPad is simply not working then the guest has to use a different iPad, meaning they have to get up and find a different spot to sit to order.

We do not accept cash, all orders HAVE to go through the iPads and we have no other method in place for taking orders and never will. I've had to turn guests away because they only have cash/want to use cash. I'd love to help them, but there is no way that I can.

Aside from that, serving anywhere from 200 to 500 people every hour and a half really builds up the tip total.

Lastly, our food is still cooked fresh to order, our costs are not reflective of having a smaller serving staff, we just have better paid staff.