HP put a time bomb on a firmware update from six months ago

> HP put a time bomb on a firmware update from six months ago
> Triggered this week
> Suddenly all third party cartridges without a proprietary chip don't work anymore
So how is this legal? I'd imagine Ford selling you car and updating it a year later to only accept Ford branded gasoline would be highly illegal in most of the civilized world

>leaving automatic updates on

kek with that move they just killed mostly if not all of their shitholes owner base that can't afford an original cartridge (they're a steal desu) aka latin america, india and china

>Updating
I'm on arch and never run -Syu.

It's more like a car that is not refillable.
You can only replace the whole tank.
And Ford cars only accept Ford gas tanks.

>So how is this legal?
It's not. Lexmark lost this one decades ago with their chipped toner cartridges. The 3rd party guys just reverse engineered the chips and blew Lexmark away in the courts.
Just wait. The replacement cartridge guys are tooling up right now.

Fun fact:
Terry Davis once was employed to develop 3rd party ink chips.

Note to self, check that printer isn't auto-updating.

I wouldn't even let it on the wifi but it's just too handy to print from any random laptop in the house.

>inkjet
you got cucked.

>Buy cucksumer crap
>Get cucked
Who would've thought?!

>So how is this legal?
Because HP will gladly sell anybody who wishes to produce compatible ink cartridges chips that will confirm the ink has achieved HP's stringent quality standards. At such a cost that that ink manufacturer must sell the cartridges for >2x what the HP cartridges cost.
Also, what's illegal about it? You agreed to the auto-downloading firmware, you agreed to use only HP genuine cartridges, and you can't state you bought the printer with the intention or under the understanding that cartridges other than what is stated are compatible (which, naturally, only HP cartridges are compatible). It'd be like being upset that putting Gasoline in your Diesel truck killed it and suing ford for it.

That's where the big difference comes in in your analogy. You bought the Ford vehicle assuming, from years of operating other vehicles and with no prior warning to the contrary, that the same gasoline used in other vehicles would work in your ford when you bought it. Perhaps you'd need higher octane than before, or lower octane due to the engine and performance. But it's "common knowledge" that you put appropriate octane and type fuel in a car, and it goes if it's well maintained. Now, if Ford sold you a specialty-fuel vehicle, and neither warned you, told you, or gave you the reasonable expectation that it was not a normal functioning vehicle in that regard, you might be talking legal ramifications.

But not since the early, early 90's has there been a consumer-focused "universal" cartridge/drum/toner system, really (Except epson's new ink tank system). Common knowledge these days, is that only certain cartridges will work in each printer. And you're given warning written, digitally, and on the packaging when you purchase it and set it up. So you can't really say you assumed that cartridges that weren't listed as compatible from the manufacturer would be compatible and you were misled.

t. shlomo

This is why I migrated to ink tank printers.

>Trying to print important paper for work
>Printer uses proprietary ink
>Tfw the botnet wants me to lose my job

>trying to order a printer that respects my freedom
>order website uses non-free javascript

>they're a steal desu
>cartridges so expensive that you might as well buy a new printer entirely
>a steal
really makes you think

apple coded older iphones to go slower via software
nvidia with its invisible water crap and million polygon squares
how is that legal?

all companies do this stuff

Free Software protects you against this,
especially free drivers.

Who in their right mind even buys HP anything?

Jesus, Cred Forums...

>out 1 ink color
> wont print in another color

not a fan of those printers

This
>lol, I can't print this black and white word document because you're all out of green

>lol, I can't print this black and white word document because you're all out of green
Virtually no ink jet printer uses green and virtually all ink jet printers have separate black ink.
Usually it's CMYK: Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and blacK.

Thanks for the autism. My point was that the printer refused to use the separate black ink before I replaced the empty coloured cartridge.