CS degree

>CS degree
>companies keeps calling for java jobs
>good offers with insane pay $60K starting
>remember Cred Forums told me java is for faggots
>refuse all the offers
>jobless neet for almost a year now

what are the languages i should accept to work with?

Other urls found in this thread:

thezog.info/list-summaries/
prometheism.net/library/jewishsupremacism.pdf
thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=things_that_suck_about_ny
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dank me me

>Not satisfied with my current STEM degree because every job wants a fresh graduate with 3+ years experience
>"Learn programming", they said, "You can teach yourself and companies are so desperate for talent they'll hire anyone."
>Spend the last year completely immersing myself in knowledge, taking classes and reading books on C, C++, Java, R, Python, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, SQL, Regex, XML, JSON, HTTP and TCP/IP Protocols, Git, GitHub, Linux, Machine Learning, Data Science, Algorithms & Data Structures
>Every job wants 8+ years experience and a Master's Degree

>CS Degree
>Applied for first job last week
>Never heard back
Kill me, I can't get the motivation to apply again.

You're going to be a faggot no matter what you do, you piece of shit.

60K?

You did the right thing mate. Can't accept this starving salary. Java is fine, though.

>being this beta

Apply anyway retard.

>wanting to work for others
>wants to be a slave

ayy lmaoing@programmers life.kys

>60k

It's like you are trying hard to be poor

>classes and reading books on
>Git, GitHub
if you need classes and books on using Git and GitHub, maybe there is a reason you haven't gotten a job?

>taking classes and reading books on
>XML
>JSON

$60k is lowballing you moron.

Java devs get like 80k a year starting ya herp.

Informatics Degrees are the plebs getting $60-70k starting.

SQL wage slave 40k/yr here. Got hired without knowing anything about SQL and I start in two weeks. What should I do?

Explain how someone like you gets hired?

You're going to think this is fake, but my boss is an RHCSE and in the interview, I mentioned that I use Gentoo and he was really impressed. I really have no idea what I'm going to be doing at this job.

>insane pay
>$60k

>be a programmer
>program for someone else
>you likely don't even use their product for your own purposes, unless you're a customer of their services already
>you'd probably have to have autism to turn down a job because of the language they want you to use, unless you didn't know the language already
What a faggot. Start your own company or something.

Can i get a Java gig with my C++ knowledge since they're somewhat similar?

Design a database, and do it correctly, configuring all the foreign keys and constraints. Start with a real world idea, design a database that holds information about customers, orders, and products.

Customers can have multiple orders, but each order can only have one customer. So what do you do? You add a column in the Orders table called "CustomerID", and then create a foreign key on that column that points to the "ID" column of the Customers table. You have created a one-to-many mapping, as in, one customer to many orders.

Now I'll let you think about the next step, how do you map Orders to Products? It's more complex than a one-to-many mapping, because an order can have multiple products, but also a product can have multiple orders. How do you solve this one? Don't google, just draw the tables on paper, and try to really think about the problem, this is part of engineering work.

If I had to guess, your job will probably involve looking into and solving performance bottlenecks, and writing stored procedures and stuff. It depends on the job though, but that was the main job of the DBA's in my previous job.

You'll also need to know about constraints (like enforcing uniqueness on a column) and indexes. Also learn how to create views, and write stored procedures.

Why didn't you retards do internships? I'm in my junior year and I've had two and the last one hired me part time.

You betas deserve what you sow.

Thank you user-kun. I don't think my job will do anything with design desu. The company I got hired at deals with data from sales and I need to confirm that the numbers are correct and perhaps respond to customer queries about data. I also need to learn to use Excel for some reason (I am guessing you can import databases to Excel spreadsheets).

Do you really earn this much in the US?
In Sweden that would be in the 93rd percentile and certainly not something you would start with.

>CE graduate
>any computing job I want
>100k starting

>2016
>doing civil engineering (CE)
>not realizing that our infrastructure is fucked anyway and that it's gonna be the next generation of humans who are gonna have to deal with it and fix it
I know you meant CompE, but there's a clear distinction and you just happened to trample over my autism.

Web and modern enterprise applications:

Go, JavaScipt, HTML, CSS

Mobile:

Java, Whatever iPhones use

Legacy Enterprise apps:

C++, Java

Drivers, Kernels, Making hardware work:

C

I personally know Go, JavaScript, and D and I make 90k a year writing APIs. I hardly ever use D but if you can manage to get a job writing D code you'll make a lot of money and really enjoy it.

$80k starting is for a CS degree from a large state university.

$120k starting is not uncommon if you have a degree from a university known as a strong CS school.

I've gotten to the point (with a *lot* of experience) that I tell headhunters to go fuck themselves (in those words, typically) if they call me up to offer me a job under $200k.

The job market is desperate for veteran CS people that the verbal abuse doesn't dissuade them from calling back.

You're welcome!

I see, I would still design a database anyway, because you should know these things! It's pretty embarrassing if you don't know what a foreign key is!

Anyway, sounds like you'll be doing a lot of joins on tables and using functions to calculate sums and averages and whatnot, so I would learn all about the different types of joins you can perform (Inner Join is probably the most common) and how to combine then with multiple where clauses and cases.

Later you'll also want to learn how to use Stored Procedures and Views, because if you spend a lot of time writing a complicated query with some performance tweaks here and there, you'll probably want to save it as a stored procedure or view to be executed later if you ever need it again.

I dunno about Excel, but I think they probably want someone who can calculate stuff from data in SQL tables (Quarterly sales or whatever) and then put that data in Excel sheets, because many companies need reports like that. I don't know if you can directly export from SQL to Excel, but that's not really a problem when you can just copy paste the cells, in the end of the day both share the same structure (visually speaking)

Goodluck!

Holy shit you earn good money over there

Thank you. I will get started right away.

Is degree worth something when applying for job. I wanna learn HTML CSS JS etc, and just get a job

>refusing a good job because of what Cred Forums says
You deserved every bit of this

>Is degree worth something when applying for job.

Yeah, because most CS degrees at minimum require you to take some rudimentary English classes.

Fuck off, English is not my mother tongue I wonder how many languages you can speak

>Math phd
>Any job I want
>300k starting

What were your 3 most recent jobs like? Ie what does a $200k CS-degree holder typically do?

>$80k starting is for a CS degree from a large state university.
>$120k starting is not uncommon if you have a degree from a university known as a strong CS school.

bulllllllllllllshiiiiiiiiittttttt

A degree is always worth it, but it's not impossible to find work without one... You can show your mad skillz with a cool github projects too, right? but you should really know your stuff then and have some cool websites to show...

HTML and CSS are purely frontend stuff and cosmetic, while JS is a language that is commonly used on the front end but in the last few years has also taken off in backend land (Node.JS) although you should really know how to do other backends (like ASP.NET with C#) if you want to actually be a serious developer

>Ie what does a $200k CS-degree holder typically do?

post bullshit lies about his income on Cred Forums

Are you in America?

Not-so-gentle ribbing aside, if you are in America any problems finding a job are going to be magnified without fluent English, and a CS degree is going to go a long way to make that employment hurdle go away.

And CS is easier to learn than English, because CS largely makes sense.

>I wonder how many languages you can speak

Two, but one of them is English, so I never actually use the other one.

>tfw cant decide between getting a bachelors and getting a job or going straight into masters afterwards

No I am not American, sometimes I fail to make coherent sentences, but I am working on it

>mfw when you speak 4 languages, and they sometimes fuck you up

Get a job, you need experience, because that's the real teacher, degrees are just proof that you're not a complete retard

also I'm just interested how did I fuck up that sentence?

>implying English isn't the easiest natural language around

>not spanish

y stupido, por favor

>not german, or russian

>tfw 12k a year in shithole country still allows me to live like a king

es geht nichts, deutsche ist so schwer

At the moment I pull in $170k between two jobs, one a consultant maintaining a large C++ system, and the other working at a research assistant working towards my masters degree ($140k as a consultant, $30k as an RA).

I made $120k as an engineer at a mid-size business doing enterprise stuff (that is, writing software for a company that doesn't sell software -- doing stuff that lets them do their business, but not writing software that people outside the company use), and then $80k-$140k over several years as a contractor (varying a lot over that time depending on contract and time spent on it) with a couple of businesses that ended up using versions of the software I was an architect on previously.

A long time ago I decided that I made enough money that chasing the higher paycheck was no longer improving my life, so I end up doing things like... spending time in school and consulting part-time because I enjoy it more.

I've said before I'd seriously consider a $250k job because it would be enough of a jump in salary to perhaps make life more fun, but the only $250k job I've been offered was in Manhattan, and the cost-of-living there is ridiculous, so I passed. I've been offered jobs at $200k and $210k that I turned down because I like what I'm doing now enough to not move.

>what does a $200k CS-degree holder typically do?

At that level (assuming you're not in an insane cost-of-living area like Manhattan or Silicon Valley), you're either one of the world's experts in a *very* narrow area of development (this is my particular position; there are three companies that want someone with my resume and only one other guy who has a similar resume -- and trust me, this was never by design; I just happened to be the guy who worked on something for a decade, and now there are more people who want to use it than people who know how it works), or you're managing other engineers.

I haven't made under $80k since I was a teenager.

must be Eastern Europe

must be nice being rich

only C is Cred Forums approved.

so, Bachelors, Masters or PhD?

Ahh, I can't really comment on the job market outside of the US.

If you have funding (i.e., someone else is paying your tuition and you're getting a stipend during the time), get the masters, end of discussion.

Otherwise get a job. You don't pay for a MS; if you're paying for a MS you're either getting it at a place that can't get the funding for students or working for someone who doesn't care enough about you to get funding for you, so don't bother. But if you've got funding GET THE FUCKING MASTERS.

>Is [a] degree worth something when [one is] applying for [a] job[?]

I was honestly being exceedingly snarky; it's perfectly comprehensible, but it's the kind of sentence that a native speaker of a Slavic language puts together.

>java and c++
>similar

Are you fucking retarded? Java and c hashtag are similar, not c++.

If for loop looks the same doesnt mean the languages are similar

It is.

There's a certain... milestone of turning down a job making $200k. But in my life, I've regretted taking a job, but never regretted turning one down.

You'll never get a job then. You need to apply to dozens of places user. Don't expect to hear back because that will lead to a bad attitude.

>mfw you're of Slavic descent, and you instantly get identified by how you construct a sentence

>insane
>60k

I got offered 60k for a javascript job and turned it dowm because thats honestly low

Bullshit

If it's any consolation, I notice it only because I've worked with a lot of people of Slavic descent and they've been some of my favorite people to work with.

>must be Eastern Europe

Not him, but Lithuanian here.

12k a year would enable you to live a good life here, but not "like a king".

I'm making 3.4k a month and that's more than enough to really live a nice life. My bill for a month for gas/electricity/water and so on is 150 euros (~400 during winter), living in 3 bedroom apartment. You get the picture.

Don't do Masters or higher until an employer pays for it. Just find a job and build experience.

Don't get a Ph.D. unless you're really fucking committed

semi related question I don't want to make a new thread for.

is netbeans actually used outside schools? it's all we use in school and I'm starting to think I should maybe familiarize with other software unless this is actually the industry norm

Java actually is a rip-off of C++

There is no industry standard. You will use whatever your employer wants you to use and deal with it. It'll always be different at every new job.

>$80k starting is for a CS degree from a large state university.
With 4 years of experience maybe, not straight out of college.

I am not even mad, I thought I was completely wrong making a sentence, but it was just another way of saying it and not by someone's standards

is netbeans even common or is it babbys first coding tool

it's just an ide, they all have pretty similar features. Mess around with eclipse if you want, but knowing a specific ide doesn't usually factor into a job. It's more important that you know the language well

Believe what you want. If you've got the credentials from a respected school (note that even if *you* think the "the University of X" is really only good at sportsball and not academics, employers within a hundred miles of "the University of X" tend to have more respect for it, because they get plenty of applicants from "X State University at Shittown" as well), you make money. If you've got a history of work after getting that degree, you make more money.

No its not

kur studijavai?

>All these people lying about their salaries
What did I expect really, from NEETs on Cred Forums?

yeah I didn't expect to be asked about it in interviews or anything. just thinking I don't want to get too familiar with one platform if it's not even used outside university

KTU, 2006 baigiau

You don't necessarily need an employer to pay for it, but you should never pay for it. I'd honestly prefer support from the university than an employer (as the university will often help you get internships during the program at multiple companies, helping you have more choice of job after leaving), but make sure someone else is paying for it.

This. Average PhD salary is CS isn't higher than the average MS salary, and the PhD is a looooot more time.

$80k is pretty common for fresh out of a BS from a Research One university. Interns typically make $50k.

>guy earning >100K salary still on 4 chan

what the fuck is wrong with your life?

It takes more than a year faggot. Lrn 2 code.

What am I supposed to do with the extra money? Hookers and blow all the time?

I still have hobbies, man.

Mokausi profkei toks Å¡Å«das, nieko nemoka "mokytojai"

The best advice out there is:

Don't listen to advice you read on the internet, most of it is bullshit and people trying to rationalize why all the life choices they made are great.

SQL isnt too difficult of a language to learn. You could probably pick it up in 2 weeks if you basically dedicate those weeks to picking it up.

You'll probably also get trained a bit as well.

O ko tu is profkes tikejais?

>Every job wants Master's Degree
I don't know about the US but masters in CS is a meme here. It's strictly for people who want to go the academic route and become professors and or do research for a school etc.

Most people have a hard enough time completing their bachelor's before already being offered good paying full-time jobs. It's actually a big problem for the school because the schools make more money the more people graduate and CS has a higher dropout rate students than any other major at our school they told us. Mostly because people get jobs. It's pretty common to study full-time for 2 years and after that work and maybe come in occasionally to finalize your bachelors as a part-time student if you want that degree for future employers and job stability.

You're all so shit

>mfw I work as head chef at Wendy's
>mfw I make 200k a year
>mfw I have a 9 inch cock to boot
>mfw I use LFS like a real pro

Do you guys enjoy shitting into your own hands and then eating it? Seriously goml you fuckin noobs

Don't be stupid. 2 weeks is way too short. While it's easy to learn because it's very high level, but in 2 weeks you will only know the very basics of it.

ko i užsieni nevažioji?

it's hard for you.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what 's the employment rate of functional programming, haskell-Spitting, zero job experience academic rats? Because that'll be me in 2 years after i finish this masters degree in formal methods and i really want to have a job at this

>CS degree

That was your first mistake.
I can't believe people still think being a code monkey is a good career.

And it's still not enough if they get as much as cold.

b-but mr robot!

>ez assignments
>comfy learning environment
>guaranteed employment even in shit economy
"I can't believe people would choose this"

Nematau reikalo. Su savo alga netaupydamas galiu drasiai atsidet 3k euru (zmona uzdirba dar 1.5k). Kokioj Svedijoj, Norvegijoj ar Vokietijoj tikrai uzdirbciau daugiau (turejau pasiulyma Svedijoj 14k euru per menesi), bet nenoriu. Man pilnai uztenka kiek gaunu.

tu back end or front? Labai gerai gauni musu bomzyne, einu is tos profkes pizdu

Java is not worth it 100k$ per month for how shitty it is. It makes you dumb

valgyti šūdas nigeris beždžionių

My assignments aren't that ez, but I'm not that smart either so there's that.

nice google translate bruh

t. Too dumb to comprehend oop

well sure it's still a stem degree it isn't easy like art school or anything but there isn't as much to read as a lot of other more "serious" degrees like engineering or med school or law degrees etc. and a lot of the work is actually pretty "hands-on" with designing and executing your plans to make an actual software rather than just cramming theory. the only real difficult part is all the mandatory math involved IMO

>$80k is pretty common for fresh out of a BS from a Research One university. Interns typically make $50k.

Bullshit. Maybe Google interns make that much.

I average 30k/year ($21.25)/hr) as an intern at a very large worldwide corporation whom offers a very competitive wage to interns. I know it's very competitive pay because the company is desperately trying to attract young talent and then poach them upon graduation.

>PhD in mathematics
>300k starting
>any job I want

I work in Delphi and C++ (Qt framework)

you made a wise choice not being a cubical drone in a dead end enterprise Java/.NET job

learn either clojure, go, scala or elixir and get a high paying job doing backend web

bullshit
enjoy teaching niggers at community college

>not knowing this maymay

Yeah but it doesnt work like that.

>lose my job in construction because beaners
>"learn programming," everyone says
>Go through MIT open courseware dilligently
>Go through all the Maths on Khan Academy that's relavent
>Go through four books on data structures and algorithms
>Two years later, everyone wants 8+ years of experience and a degree
>apply anyway
>get a job making $50k a year with no actual degree or experience based on a shitty landing page and some CRUD there plus killing the interview
Feels good

then what are you doing here?

Not doing CE because you want to try and change the world

shitposting is an excellent hobby

Well, let's see.

I hate golf.
There's not enough water around here to go yachting.

So what am I supposed to do with the extra money?

And would I enjoy it more than paying off my mortgage early and shitposting on really nice computer equipment?

They're just doing the H1B song and dance. You can thank Clinton and the Obama administration for that.

Just wait until Trump shuts it down in a few months and you'll be fine.

I'm a 4th year CS student who is really regretting it. I'm not good at it and don't enjoy it. All of the normie people I know always say stuff like "WOW you'll get a great job with that! probably a really high starting pay since you're so in demand!"
wanna die

>wanting overpriced labor
Enjoy getting ripoff

Cyka blyat, bin

Become an actuary then.

what state you live in?

>I'm not good at it and don't enjoy it.

Aww man, that sucks. You probably will get a relatively high starting salary, but working on something you don't like is soul crushing.

Google interns in mountain view make $90k and get free housing.

I came to the US on a H1B. AMA.

>what state you live in?
Confusion.

>>I'm not good at it and don't enjoy it.
It's exactly the opposite with me and sex.

you stupid cock sucker, you don't know fuck all about Git if you think that it's a waste to read a book on it.

Of course the manpages may be enough, but a book is extremely helpful in tying together the concepts of git. Fuck you!

maybe in san jose

>60k
>good
and here I am turning down 70k job offers in rural ohio.

gj user, you put yourself in a new environment and succeeded.

human adaptation ftw

Since you have a big salary and a comfy life, consider taking one for the team and dedicating yourself to solving an important problem or at least furthering important fields. There is a lot of good in leaving the Earth a better place than it was when you arrived. I do mean it

microsoft offers a free class on edx.org that will cover everything you need

>I haven't made under $80k since I was a teenager.

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure

>company falls for the big data meme
>hires me as an "intelligence analyst"
>no one asks for anything
>f5 Cred Forums for $35/hr

Just curious, but isn't there computer engineering in America?

Why do people always just talk about cs?

no it's not
C++ was made to extend C
Java was made to let programmers use OOP safely

>30k
>competitive wage

Go to Silicon Valley. My friend got 8k/month as an intern developing internal apps with paid housing and paid food.

I literally make double that and I'm not even two years out of college

Mid tier codemonkeys at Microsoft make 200k a year.

I didn't even know that Ballast Point came in cans

Someone has never done xslfo at the enterprise level

>60k

that literally what no high school degree people get your a retard

What language has the highest jobs/high paying salary combo?

Javascript

Why so mean?

>$60K starting
>insane pay
>CS degree

What the fuck am I reading? I made more than that during my sophomore year CS internship.

>$30k as an RA
what school pays RAs 30k/year where you're not even expected to work full time?

if you just want money go into finance. it's evil work but the money is insane. just maintaining clusters for someone like bloomberg is way above most of the numbers being thrown around here

it's not the situation he's describing but the nsfgrf is in that neighborhood iirc

Want to get into Linux development. Learning C and asm. I do enjoy it. But is it going to pay?

>nsfgrf
yes, that's exactly what i said. NSFGRF does not allow you to work, i.e. it expects you to be a grad student full time. most RA positions expect you to be a full time graduate student.

ITT: everyone earns in the top 10% of their field.

>GitHub
what is there to even learn? Git takes some work to understand how to work with it without accidentally nuking the repository, but Github is just a fucking website.

>Regex
That takes like 30 minutes to learn

so basically bullshit, i got it.

>russian
>easy

haha no

>if you just want money go into finance. it's evil work but the money is insane. just maintaining clusters for someone like bloomberg is way above most of the numbers being thrown around here

Finance pros:

> great pay

Finance cons:

> insane stress
> insane hours
> selling your soul to sell out the economy
> horrendous bro culture
> very high cost of living areas

>mfw op posts bait thread and gets replies

Meanwhile OP is unemployed and looking for a job with his new CS degree. Bombing interviews since he didn't actually learn anything in school. He's just posting trying to delude himself into thinking it was worth it.

>people replying to a thread are doing it for OP
how's your first week on the four chan? gotten some good (you)s?

because c is not pajeets java

invest, you dumbfuck

Python is a good language to learn. Also make friends with the people who own the big companies who are the people on this list:

thezog.info/list-summaries/

Also, if you want to know how the people on this list got to be where they are, start reading at page 12 in this book:

prometheism.net/library/jewishsupremacism.pdf

I want to develop 2d games for web (windows) and I want to develop games for iphone.

I have an iphone 5 and a windows computer.

Which languages to learn for web games? HTML5?

And for iPhone i need to have a mac? What about writing it on windows (which fucking program, framework) and then translating it to iOS?

I want to create small to medium story/little action (like building a town, step by step) games on web and smart phones.

Which languages to learn, which frameworks to use? What else to consider? pls,pls,pls guru, enlighten me.

I also want to play around with real life drones, i would like to program them too. What to learn here besides circuit boards?

Here in my country companies are paying 130k a year for ruby on rail developers.

And they don't care if its senior or not. Really activated my almonds.

You're not giving up after a single application user, do you?

Lol, that's not how life works.

> Go
niceme.me

Learn something stable like PHP, and don't get into the Millenium Silicon Valley Hype

Hey /fit/bro lmao

What?

Programmers make 40k starting at the most. No way in hell are they ever paying 80k

That's engineering level of py

Speak for yourself, I'm on 5000000000000000000000k starting as a junior webdev

I got $30/hr as an intern in San Francisco. I'd consider 60K full time reasonable, maybe even a bit low.

Yeah hate to break it to you Europoors but I spent a summer working in Luxembourg and what is generally considered a "good salary" over there is shit.
In the US I would tell I recruiter to go fuck themselves for anything less than 60k.

>60K starting
lol, no education here
got offered 300K starting at an SF startup
told them to shove it because >san fran

>you will never be an Amerigod
fucking kill me already

This is entirely based on where you work and the cost of living there. $80k is what most starting petroleum engineers make here in Houston.

Software would be lucky to get $70k. I make $60k and live off of ~$30k

>"I don't understand that cost of living drives salary"

>The only other person ITT who gets it

Gilfolye doesn't struck me as a Mac guy

I'd recommend Python + Django. The amount of libraries is what makes it so good

he stole it

Just save 75% of it for 10 years. Then you free some time (quit your job maybe) and do stuff that could advance humanity for real.

Living with too much money, like a king, for all your time on earth is meaningless.

My base salary is 140k. 200k total comp. 60k is fucking low.

It is not just the salary: It is the purchasing power. 60K/y is considered middle class in the US, but if you earn that in SEA you are considered top 1%, not top 7%.

Thanks user

Dont worry it depends on cost of living, starting $100k in tokyo is shit... $100k in russia is putin level etc...

Cost of living outside the big cities with a tech scene is very low. I'm making 50k and living very well in Tennessee. My bro makes twice or better my salary in Connecticut and he lives about the same quality of life.

>be me
>get CE degree
>apply to first job ever
>called back that day and get the job

Get good

that
I had bunch of idiots in cs who barely passed, did no projects on the side and are now whining they cant get a job, imagine that who would have thought?

Also:

You want a job? There are more programming jobs than there are programmers, so if you are a competent programmer, you will get a job.

Competent. That is all.

No need to be a 200 IQ genius, or have 75 years of experience in [language that was written last year], or have Bill Gate on speed dial.

Just competent.

But what language?

-If you are competent in Java, you will get hired.
-If you are competent in Swift/Objective C, you will get hired.
-If you are competent in front end web dev (HTML, CSS, JS, [insert latest framework here]), you will get hired.
-If you are competent in back end web dev (php, sql, ruby, python), you will get hired.
-If you are competent in two or more of the above, you will get so, so, SO hired!

The majority of the above languages are easy to learn. There are HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of jobs out there, not being done, because competent programmers are not doing them.

If you are happy with your life, and you want to spend time learning Go or Rust or Julia or [hip trendy new thingy], do that.

If you seriously want a job, stop wasting your time and go learn a language that can get you hired.

Same, sometimes I use a translate to get a good English

Words of wisdom
also for god sakes do a project or 2 on the side, thats what makes you different from 100 others...

where are you from? What are your qualifications/experience? How did you get the visa? Did they contact you or you went after them? H1B's are not tied to your job, are they? Meaning you can switch jobs but keep the visa? How much $$ are you making? Any advice on making it to the US as a europoor?

If you learn it from a very young age . It's one of the hardest languages to learn as a second language if you are an adult
not counting Korean or those whacky island languages only 1000 people speak. Even if you learn all the words and how to say them, context and inflection are extremely hard to learn, which is why it's obvious when somebody hasn't been speaking English their whole life. Even if all the words are correct and even if they're in the right order, chances are it will never sound "right"

Speaking english is really hard. But grammar, reading, writing is really easy. English barely has a grammar.

>not C and C++
>not assembly

you narrowed the job offers a bit

>There are more programming jobs than there are programmers
sure is believable

Wish I studied CS so bad.
Fucking stuck in med school.

dw mate. CS is a meme and about to go down. People will realize how stupid computers are and stop using them but they will never stop getting sick

:^)

t h i s

I know this pajeet who was forced into CS because his parents forced him into it. He's only in junior year and thinks CS250 is hard. I can already smell the failure.

Basically a pajeet who can't into pajeet

Lol. If competence in your field was all you needed, I wouldn't be unemployed.

>tfw social interaction is not fun

Fuck this gay earth, just give me a job I don't have to leave my house for.

>has no job
>looking for job
>gets multiple alright offers
>turns them down because of what Cred Forums said

You fucking retard

what do you mean "projects on the side"? what are some projects to get into? I just started a cs degree. did intros over the summer. now I'm in c#, VB(seems like I shouldn't be in there) HTML and SQL. nothing seems hard yet. but, this fucking degree better lead to job, time is ticking for me. anyway, what are some good things to be doing besides classes to get good?

Find language you like, start think of problems to solve, even if they're already solved think of how to do it better. Better yet you can contribute to github projects n shit.

This user gets it.
I got hit up by Exxon last week for a gig out in Houston for 240k a year. They want a veteran infosec guru. I told em i was already making 180k in Phoenix AZ and didn't plan on moving.

Tbqh Python is getting flooded. I can't recommend it anymore for getting a job. I work for a staffing agency and we literally have seen python listings cut by more than half year over year since 2014.

2nd year CS student here.

What kind of "projects" should I point to on a resume?For example, I wrote a software rasterizer a while back, can I put that on github and show my potential employer?
Should I write a compiler or something? Should I make a commercial product? What do I do?

I'm doing backend php from home on contract. Money isn't great but in a low cost of living area it's fine. I make around 30 to 40k working four or five days a week and I definitely don't put in eight hours a day.

how did you get the job? is it something I could apply for? that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

>I work for a staffing agency
what languages are on the rise?

Maybe in the east coast.

>21, just started senior year of college
>Already have a job after graduation with 100k salary, 140k total comp/year
>Cruise control for the next 9 months

CS is great guys

Same shitty boat user
>I like computers Ill do comp sci
>Get into 3 year course that will give me a level 7 bachelor of science degree.
>Struggle for three years
>Final year
>user you can advance to fourth year and do a level 8th
>Everyone tells me to go for it
>Two weeks in
>I don't want to be here
>This is too hard
>I am shit at this
>Sit around all day working on college work or sitting around doing nothing or browsing Cred Forums
>I don't like computers anymore
Ill probably fail the year, drop out and not be able to get a job since I am so shit at it.
Ill end up a neet who kills himself at the shame of wasting my parents money.

I did not want to go to college, I would have been happy working in a shop somewhere.

Word of mouth mostly. I worked at a few startups and interacted with talent agencies a lot. Eventually a big one gave me a job offer because I impressed him in a critique of how he could screen for better applcants by email.

C# is probably the fastest growing but Java is still the biggest and has steady growth of the nonweb lot. For Web it's obviously just a great mass of JS and a hundred diffirent frameworks. Php isn't dying nearly as fast as everyone thinks though. R is another steady growth Lang but I don't know much about their market to comment.

thanks. they kind of chose C# for me. I don't know enough to want something different so I'm just going with it.

There are. Go search for "programming" in any job search site.

Nigger my salary at 25 with a bachelor's undergrad in cs with fully paid benefits and 401k matching is 120k a year. If you know java and can get a security clearance with the DoD, you will make more money than you know what to do with.

That sounds like the life. I'm jelly.

>English barely has a grammar
You guys have a specific order where to place the words in a sentence. In Finnish you can place the words in a sentence in almost any order and it'll make sense. The way English is written and spoken is beyond retarded.

Intern level that's perfect. For example I'm a 3rd year CE student and I've written an interpreted language, some small projects, and I'm currently working on a game engine that's sitting at 4 kloc at the moment.

вoдкa

Just a reminder

If your uni doesn't have co-op/internship/experiential learning you should just trash your degree right now

Here in Germany it is (at least in CS) no meme since it doesn't cost anything and there are too much Bachelor's it's another way to distinguish you from others

You made me feel good about my life choices when Cred Forums memes were starting to convince me that CS was dying, thanks

Just out of curiosity how did you get such a good job lined up before graduating? Did your school help you out or something?

>listened to Cred Forums

You sure showed them

>employed as software engineer part-time for almost 2 years
>studying CS
>want to do M.Sc.
>currently doing lena's tutorial (reverse engineering)
>planning to do the OSCP

How can I get into infosec career-wise? Almost every job wants 2 years job experience and I don't want to go the route through network or sysadmin

Falcon is one of the few respectable trip codes on this board

Good, the last thing you want to do is let the spergs on Cred Forums convince you of anything. Use any and every available proprietary tool you can afford to make your life easier.

Embedded systems fampai

Hahaha no user, you're in your parents basement shit posting on a frog message board. Go back to earning neetbux and getting mommy to do your washing, you fucking degenerate piece of shit.

>tfw doing CS
>hate it
>not because I'm a retard who can't pass math I just genuinely don't enjoy it
>have no outside projects or anything, just do homework and that's it
>don't know what else to do

i'll probably graduate and kill myself

finance major here. is cs degree required for computer jobs?

"Do not enjoy" is the middle ground between love and hate. It is best to do a job that you love, but doing a job that you are neutral about and getting paid is still better than doing a job that you hate.

...or being NEET.

Stay strong. You will feel much better once you get a monthly cheque.

just out of curiosity, what's your opinion on C# and the whole .net framework?

By do not enjoy I meant hate.

I should have done accounting or something, I would't hate that and it would be a stable job.

But it's too late to change since none of my credits would transfer to an accounting degree.

And I wouldn't be getting checks because I don't think anyone would hire me with no projects, I doubt I could get an internship either.

It's depressing being around people who have a passion for or at least enjoy what they're doing, and that's what everyone seems like. I think there is just something mentally wrong with me.

I had to use C# for Windows Phone applications, but that was all. I liked it, but my opinion is based on very limited experience, and things might have changed in the last ~6 years.

Masters is typically 1 year, so you can do that in your preferred field, once you are done with your current course.

Also: Many people get hired in a different field than they studied. That can hold true for you as well. A degree is neither a chain nor a prison, user.

>listening to Cred Forums

There's your problem you idiot. I'm at a job writing in Java right now and it's easy as fuck and I get paid well.

Kill yourself underaged fag

Language is just syntax. You can code in literally anything and the logic is the same

Java is considered shit because all of the abstraction, which is intended to make future refactoring and expansion easier, makes some code bases really difficult to learn or understand

Enlighten someone who just came out of university, comp sci, 21 years old. What exactly happens at one of these software development jobs? I have zero practical experience. Software development, database development, etc etc whatever. As I have no experience in this kind of industry what happens when you walk in to one of these jobs? I feel a bit intimidated desu. If I get accepted for some C++ developer job what happens when I walk in one my first day? I sit at my computer and then... I mean all jobs are different ofcourse, but can I get ideas of what to expect?

What will the induction consist of? Showing me around the office, introducing me to the team, then when you sit at the computer what do you actually do? Are you given a list of functionalities they want you to encapsulate into modules or something, then they just expect you to accomplish these tasks in the day?

VB.net muustard race

>start CS degree
>enjoy it at first
>Now in bachelor year
>absolutely hate it
>can't find any passion for it, or motivation to start self projects
>turn in homework late due to lack of any interest
>my uni hardly offers any internships or opportunities either
>just work on art/design portfolio instead all day

It all looks so appealing when you're looking at the front end or final product but back end is so tedious and just not enjoyable. I can understand this shit so not getting the degree or shooting for some good paying degree seemed stupid but I can't find a lick of happiness in this.

That was me about six years ago. I do graphical web design and front end now. It's basically an art job with minimal amounts of tedious coding.

Hows it pay? I may honestly look in that direction after graduating, if not just go between tossing my portfolio at companies and my degree at others.

$65k which is pretty good for Austin. I started at $40k with no prior experience based on my landing page full of animated art, widgets, small web apps, etc.

Didn't actually finish my degree so I can't tell you how you'll do, but presumably better than I did. I quit sophomore year because I realized everything from then on out was going to be way more software engineering and way less graphical, which is the way I wanted to go anyhow.

Look for job listings in front-end with graphics mentioned. Lots of startups and the like need people who are basically competent with CSS/JS and can make things look nice. That was essentially my role and then I moved toward more of the looks and less of the knuckle-busting.

what book is he reading?

anyone?

Mine included of all things in addition to all the BS english comp courses. Jezus christoffer. Accounting. WTF did I need accounting for? I'm not doing your financials bossman.

If you have to ask then no

You're not expected to be able to provide anything really useful for like the first 3 months. You'll mostly spend time doing really tiny shitty stuff to get your hand at their code base/api they're using. After that you do what they ask you to do.

Arduino Projects Book

Terrible advice. Don't learn PHP unless you want to get stuck making cookie cutter wordpress sites for the rest of your career.

Can confirm this. Had a 60k salary job in my junior year. They hinted that they wanted me to quit school and just work full time.

Just take a Java job and promise to not code like shit.
Seriously just take the job in you're preferred language assuming you have opportunity.

>Also learn how to create views, and write stored procedures.
This. I recently got hired at a company. During my interview they mentioned that it was fine that i knew jack about SQL. First day i needed to write 2 SPROCS and a View. Needless to say, i know SQL now.

>Getting your desktop environment set up properly for development, configure email, chat, other shit
>Make sure you can access source control, database, ssh into other boxes, VPN if you need/want to remote in
>Learn vim, Linux command line tools like grep, find, xargs, ps, rename, sed, scp, etc., basics of shell scripting, Python
>Spend first few weeks getting to know their product, their tech stack, their tools, their libraries, their code review system, their ticketing system, their source control, reporting, conventions, config system, etc.
>Learn specifics of product, can be non-trivial if domain knowledge is especially important and/or complex
>Start with some small random project, ask senior developer any questions that can't be found by yourself and absorb as much knowledge as humanly possible
>Dive headfirst into their undocumented and opaque source code when necessary
>Move from small, isolated projects and/or internal tools to enhancing/debugging moving parts
>Interact and work with QA and support team
>Doxygen that shit because grep just isn't fucking cutting it anymore
>Use IDE to help index source code because Doxygen isn't cutting it anymore
>Compiler is outdated, Python version is outdated, libararies are outdated
>Start understanding what other devs are starting to talk about in meetings, goddamn acronyms and domain shit
>Develop a good working picture of their system, know some components in more detail
>Understand enough to make suggestions
My experience at least.

These are the best threads on g

Only reason to get a Phd is to teach at uni.

You can always suck dick if need be.

This desu. I remember there was a thread recently about /sci/ vs Cred Forums. You can find smart people on both boards, but most of /sci/ is in undergrad/postgrad and live in ivory towers. Cred Forums can have some real, useful content sometimes.

To anyone with this problem
Just apply, HR does the recluiting they just copy and paste other adds
Most of the time they dont require you to know all of the stuff and will hire a less experienced guy

ITT: A bunch of NEET's, underage fags and basement dwellers lying about how much they make.

Hi I make 147k three months out of college in NJ

>someone already did the research!!!
As if you can't just publish a corroborating paper.
I fucking hate the ignorant.

you forgot some stuff on the end
>fix something in system
>begin to clean it up
>transcend the horrible codebase
>get better job offer
>jump ship and plummet your company back into the dark ages

I find C++ better: better coworkers, usually better pay.

Fantasticly put.

>Competent.
Define this in more detail than the standard "learn algos and ds" poo in loo talk I see on sites like HackerRank and CareerCup.

>but the only $250k job I've been offered was in Manhattan
>i passed

>manhattan
>I
>PASSED
You dun goofed

You *can* develop iPhone apps on Windows to a degree, but you need a Mac eventually to publish to the App Store.

>interacted with talent agencies a lot
I've been thinking of applying to some of the talent agencies here in the Seattle area. What were your experiences with the ones in your area?

communication is a pretty big part of a competent programmer.

$250,000 in Manhattan is like $100,000 in most other densely populated cities in the US, which is pretty good, but not insane.

Not even joking. An equivalent apartment to the one I have right now in DC ($1600 for 900 sq ft) in Manhattan is nearly $4000.

Just get the work you were asked to do done.

How am I going to get asked for work if I'm unemplyed, dude?

thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=things_that_suck_about_ny

I'd pass on pretty much any job that required working anywhere near New York, personally.

Let's say I get a CS degree from UTexas (best state school that isn't Berkley for cs), what should I be getting out the gate and what kind of growth should I be expecting, pay and workload wise, over time from graduation to lets say, ten years later?

>MechE
>entirely average in coursework
>zero (0) "side projects"
>still get considered for an internship interview
>internship program assumes you know jack shit about actual work
>score a return full-time offer with 78k starting salary

>meanwhile CScucks are expected to be fully familiar with all this production shit and have twenty thousand side projects before their resume gets read for an internship position

how do you guys manage?

> >score a return full-time offer with 78k starting salary

>be me
>graduate in 1998 with CS degree
>already have a couple years of experience programming for a government organization
>dumb interviewers that focus on C++ syntax minutia pass me by
>interviewers with actual multithreaded programming experience love me
>get hired for $47k starting in a low cost of living area
>bumped up to $60k by 2001
>move to SF Bay Area in 2002, get $100k

The US dollar is worth about half what it was at the time. Programmer salaries in low cost of living areas should now start at about $90k, and an utterly average senior engineer in the Bay Area should be making $200k. I'm pretty sure actual pay is less than that. Programmers have gotten shafted in the last ten years.

>tfw have had a stutter since birth
>tfw start playing the interview game
>tfw every interview is RNG, will I stutter or not
>stutter=immediate disqualification

mac users have no spine ayyyyyyyy

"Not a good cultural fit".

Last job I had made us interview people all the fucking time. Usually, we had not idea WTF role we were even interviewing them for. Plus, they put the fucking do-all building maintenance guy in charge of recruitment. Motherfucking retards.

Anyway, we got bitched out for emailing our head of engineering with "no hire". We were required to write a paragraph explaining why.

Why? Because they needed to cover their asses in the event of a lawsuit. Again, we didn't even know why we were interviewing them most of the time. Dumbest bunch of fucking wasted time ever.

Cred Forums tells you to not learn Java, C++, or C# so we can keep the jobs for ourselves. Cred Forums tells you to learn Python so you can take the lower paying jobs no one wants

The good ones are run by gentiles. That is not a joke or pol meme.

>CS MSc
>near top of my class
>have no problem getting interviews
>bomb every single one of them because autism
and now I'm NEET watching anime every day
should have spent time hanging out with the chads and neglecting study

Do what I did. bought a fake resume. Told people I was IT Manager of a group. Got a job and I was able to hit the ground running.

(do not use the service if you don't know shit. Only use it if you know your stuff but need to have the "experience" to get past the HR gatekeepers.

Just look up fake resume service or fake job experience to find one of those places.

Never even considered this. Not that guy, but that's some Don Draper shit. Now you have my wheels turning.

Project book that comes with their starter kits.

There are lots of things you can get online.

You need a degree that says you know this stuff? there are places to go for that.

I have a worthless bachelors degree in History. I was told "you have zero marketable skills" at one job fair and it really hit home.

So I bought a degree in computer science. Furthermore I bought test answers for certifications. Oh yes you can buy those as well. I studied those and have certain certifications and a computer science degree.

I already knew more about programming and installing databases and such so it wasn't hard to talk with people about solving problems. The funniest thing of all is so many people were impressed with my background and problem solving skills.

I would never have had these opportunities if I didn't gain the system.

Remember Human Resources are the gatekeepers. You never get to talk with the IT Manager or anyone who you would be working with. Instead you talk with people who will be using a checkmark list "does he have X amount of experience? yes? ok he goes to next level. Does he have a degree in computer science? yes? ok he goes to next level, does he have industry certifications? yes? he goes to next level.

NEVER TELL ANYONE YOU ARE DOING THIS. I MEAN NOBODY. NOT YOUR WIFE, GIRLFRIEND, BEST FRIEND, MOM - NOBODY.

Take this to the grave.

Tempting, particularly since I have several certifications and have been "working on my degree" for many years. My position is already IT Director for a department of 200, but I only earn $70k.

Hmm.. did you just buy brain dumps, and then go take the tests for the certs?

>Dental
Didn't know 'dental' is a face reconstruction.

well, I think a dentist can legal break and reconstruct your jaw, but AFAIK that's mostly the work of a certified surgeon.

I think you should stop getting job advice from Cred Forums or any board that post anime girls in their programming discussions.

Go to stackoverflow, they do real work.

>poo in loo recruiter calls
Instant trash
>wants me to work at some hiring agency or careers company
Instant trash

This. There's no future in working for agencies.

I make 70k starting in a low COL area and I'm buying special

There are companies out there that are results-oriented. They care more about you getting the job done than your personal issues. If the company really needs programmers, they'll look past your imperfections.

>you forgot some stuff on the end
A higher up needs to make the call to take all that poo into the loo and rewrite everything from scratch. Modernize as much as possible. Code base is probably a couple decades old. May or may not happen in my time at the company, but I'm certainly hoping for it.

That's not how it works. Do you spend 100% of your income in rent?

>You need a degree that says you know this stuff? there are places to go for that.
wwwwwwhhhhheeeereeeeeeeeee

literally all I need is a degree and I will earn all of the monies

This seems as good of a place as any to ask: How do I get a livable amount of NEETbux? I'm fucking fed up with this CS major meme.

>russian
>easy
you're funny.

sorry senpai I'm not collecting NEETbux, my parents pay for everything instead

Seems like listening to Cred Forums, a board mainly populated by NEETs and people with very little experience in the industry (or still in school), is not a good idea. Who would have thought?!

You just told us it

I don't understand how all these people in this thread can possibly fail so hard at life...

I got a part-time job during my bachelor's degree and started working full-time during my master's as a C++ developer. It took its toll on me and my thesis got delayed by two years, but in the end I had 1.5 years full time experience and 3 years part-time experience by the time I finally graduated.

How the fuck do you not manage to get a programming job?

I've attended about 30 interviews so far and never got an offer. Started applying from my Bachelor's, still trying to find one during Master's.
Now I'm doing PhD and given up on ever finding a normal office job. I'm too autistic to teach so I will end up NEET and kill myself once my scholarship ends.

Ironically, I'm too doing a PhD, but I'm doing it because I hate working a normal office job and want the freedom a PhD gives me. Will probably go back to the industry afterwards though, because postdoc life is pure hell.

You can't be that delusional right?
RIGHT?

What technologies and languages are you focused on? Do you have any sample code on GitHub?

Why do companies do this?

to weed out autists like you by triggering them with silly, irrelevant crap like that.