/retro/ thread

/retro/ thread, "I'm charging a battery from 1996" edition

Am I going to die?

Other urls found in this thread:

support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=637951&isFromTOCLink=false
youtube.com/watch?v=jOYqXlsgo78
youtube.com/watch?v=T-F7ZySfgZ0
es.aliexpress.com/store/product/PCMCIA-to-USB-2-0-CardBus-2-Port-480M-Inside-hide-9741-free-shipping/505394_1219555312.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_4_10057_10056_10065_10068_10055_10054_10069_10059_10058_418_10073_10017_10070_10060_10061_10052_10062_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_7&btsid=62f9da5f-2901-4ba9-bdc1-a82c9a1c3ad1
technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php
youtube.com/watch?v=kPy1XKq0Dog
youtube.com/watch?v=NyBj7TemPsU
youtube.com/user/Druaga1
macintoshgarden.org/apps/appearance-addons-appearance-manager
kernelex.sourceforge.net/
psx-scene.com/forums/f167/porting-linux-2-6-ps2-67806/
archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_texteditors
retroisle.com/others/hp95lx/software.php
web.archive.org/web/20071014213100/http://mindprod.com/products4.html#DVORAK
winworldpc.com/product/att-system-v-unix
ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=beaconsfield-electronics&_sop=16
ebay.com/sch/Vintage-Computing/11189/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=beaconsfield-electronics&_sop=16
youtube.com/watch?v=PWeO5IkCssk
ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-24-Apple-iBook-G4-12-1-Laptop-July-2005-1-33GHZ-512MB-40GB-Wifi-/311696663989
whence.com/minimodem/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Eventually.

I wish I had died in 1996

Safety first you absolute madman.

as you can see guys, it's charging.

It's a toshiba portege 610ct. It's a 1995 laptop. Works like a charm, but I'm worried about the battery.

I have it since 1999 btw. Haven't used it in a decade tho.

support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=637951&isFromTOCLink=false

>BATTERY
Lithium Ion (10.8V, 4000mAH): Part# PA2489UR

shoul I be charging it? will it explode in my face?

namefaggin' for context

shit, forgot pic

But you would have missed the prequel trilogy!

Will it run windows 2000?

Can you replace batterys in these with new ones?

prolly not. It's made for 95. I have 98 installed and it takes about 4 minutes to boot.

That relic belongs in a museum.

Top fucking kek

Nice jukebox

Make sure to remove/replace the two small internal batteries under the keyboard. They leaked in my Toshiba and destroyed the whole mainboard.

OP, at least clean off the bacon bit from your keyboard. That's disgusting. I see it on this thinkpad neckbeard's keyboards too.

Behold! My masterpiece!

I really like what you did there, except for the Cred Forums. Looks like an alien computer program with a toddler-esque drawing in the middle.

will look into that, thanks

I cleaned it now. There's some 15 year old glue in the trackpoint rubber thingy and I can't get it off tho.

Try drawing with a digital joystick.

I draw in the sand with my 'joystick' all the time, pleb, and it still looks better than that.

>but I'm worried about the battery.

I'd take it out and run that fucker without a battery inserted.
Even if it charges I highly doubt it will hold a charge longer than a couple minutes at best and the risk that it someday bloats up like a balloon and goes up right into your face is too big.

>old glue in the trackpoint rubber thingy and I can't get it off tho.

>glue

are you sure that it's not just actually the tip material dissolving?

This

Wrap the battery in several layers of tape for safety.

nope, it's glue. I remember adding glue in the tip back in 2000 because the rubber was kill.

It was 2000, so Aliexpress wasn't around to order a new one. Also, I was 13.

>glue

Power jack is loose, so if I use it without a battery it would turn off at the smallest movement.

I'll try to do that.

You lucky bastard. Your own personal fucking laptop at age 13, when they cost thousands. And I thought I was lucky with my own 70MHz desktop.

My dad is a programmer, and back in 99 he got pic related and gave me his old toshiba. Too bad that memepad is long gone.

here is some good shit for you anons who shared

with audio: youtube.com/watch?v=jOYqXlsgo78

>no sexy bitches
youtube.com/watch?v=T-F7ZySfgZ0

the HD600/650 is a nice touch

I regularly charge this one from 1997
It doesn't even have SMART battery tech in it
Works ok

Its a pair of ATH-M50's, naturally.

My SCSI2SD card came in so gonna crack it open and install it into my Mac.

Real nice, what Mac are we talking about?

Underrated post

bump

I feel jealous.

>I 'draw' in the 'sand' with my 'joystick' all the time, pleb, and it still 'looks' better than that.

Bump

(ignore gay collage effects, I needed to put the images together and I got lazy and used the first free collage software I could find)

faggot OP here. I took pics of the ports on this thing and I'm pretty sure I'll never find something that fits (not counting LPT and serial ports of course)

Thing is, I could really use a USB port.

PCMCIA seems to be the only option... right? something on aliexpress you guys can advice? I found this, it appears to be Win98 compatible.

es.aliexpress.com/store/product/PCMCIA-to-USB-2-0-CardBus-2-Port-480M-Inside-hide-9741-free-shipping/505394_1219555312.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_4_10057_10056_10065_10068_10055_10054_10069_10059_10058_418_10073_10017_10070_10060_10061_10052_10062_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_7&btsid=62f9da5f-2901-4ba9-bdc1-a82c9a1c3ad1

My /retro/ lair

webm

Whoops, attached wrong file

this is the webm

I think that mystery port is for a docking station.

Also, I have never used Windows 98 with USB 2.0 hardware, only 1.1 (with 2.0 drives in 1.1 mode). If the drivers don't work try these:

technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

so I've been collecting a bunch of old computers and parts from family and friends and started remodeling my battle station to have a retro feel with vector monitors and old DOS Box's

i hope it will look good when im done

nice gay furry pedo rape comic on the far right faggot

>he knows it's from a gay furry pedo rape comic
found another faggot

You're fine.

I don't know what the fuck Toshiba made those batteries out of but I have two li-ions for my 425CDT, also made in 96, and they still hold a charge of two hours each. My phone from 3 years ago has less battery time than that.

>Unreal Tournament
MY NIGGA

OH FUCKKKKKK im gonna cum
>that glove
>that screen
the fucking nostalgia

>Member BASIC
Oh I Loved QBASIC
>member himem.sys?
Oh i loved loading my mouse drivers into higher memory
>member 3.5 floppies
Oh I loved floppies!
>member math co-processors
Oh i Loved the DX line of processors
>member IRQ conflicts
Oh I loved looking at IRQ/IO address jumpers!
>member dialup modem sounds
Oh I loved that kcsrshhhhh sound!

Here is Unreal Tournament on my 1999 Compaq Pentium II laptop. Runs well at 320x240 resolution. It's running Windows XP SP3 now, but I'll probably install an older version of Windows on it. Any suggestions?

Win2000

That's a good idea. That's what it was running before XP. I installed WinXP so it could use a wireless card, but web browsing is pretty awful on a Pentium II nowadays. It runs faster with 2000 than 98 SE if I recall correctly.

>tfw i want a G3 iMac but shipping on ebay is expensive and all the hipster fucktards think that they are worth $150.

I have a near mint last gen iBook G4 on the way at least. I want to put a new HDD in it, but fuck that.

some people get paid to draw the darndest faggot things

Just hold out and you'll find one for free/cheap. They made millions of them, I see them pop up on craigslist pretty frequently. If you can get a 600Mhz one, those are the jam. My parents used my old one for email and taxes until a couple years ago.

I'd like to install NT 3.51 for maximum nostalgia, but the drivers are non-existent for most hardware. Unreal Tournament actually runs on that OS with a DLL file from NT 4.
youtube.com/watch?v=kPy1XKq0Dog

Gaming aside, NT based Windows was where it was at if you had enough RAM.

hey AD

People still remember my autism 2 years later? I'm surprised. I guess people remember me linking that video. Anyway, I still have the Athlon machine but I haven't used it in a while. I don't even remember the last OS I installed on it. I got rid of all the CRTs too.

Yeah, I remembered the video

I was Pentium II MMX

Also, why did you get rid of all the CRTs? I've been trying to find more to make a big 90s video wall.

or something like this

Which will it be, anons? First reply determines the OS.

gentoo

puppy

SCO Unixware

Vista with MS BOB

gentoo for winraR

First OS is puppy since it was in the image. Vista isnt happening on a 5gb hard drive. I will do it on the Athlon machine.

what does the liquid screen show?

Kitty Linux

A simple paint program running off the Puppy CD.

what model biscuit do you carry?

SD9VE

I wanted to try ripping a CD, but I forgot to tell Puppy to load into RAM at boot. Next OS should be some kind of Wangdows.

>that nasty clitmouse
You can actually replace the top for old clitmice using a pencil eraser and an x-acto knife. Remove the existing top to see its height and how far into it the peg reaches. Select an eraser with a good texture. Slice it to the right length. Cut out an approximate hole for the peg. Better for it to be a little tight than a little loose.

I've done that for an old Toshiba Satellite a little newer than yours. It worked great.

Try Slackware 9.0. I want some of that early-mid 2000s Linux goodness. There's something oddly comfy about distros and DEs from that time period.

That technically works, but it gets a lot of eraser sheddings under your keyboard over time. At least it did for me.

I bought a 3-pack of red ThinkPad nubs and they all fit great on both of my Toshiba Satellites. Just make sure the black plastic nub thingy on the keyboard is square-shaped.

Who here watches Druaga1?

youtube.com/watch?v=NyBj7TemPsU
youtube.com/user/Druaga1

It's round :(

Actually it works like crap, it's too stiff, rubber or no rubber. That's the reason I want to get usb ports, so I can use a regular mouse.

Mine is from 1996 and has one USB port on the back, with a little sliding dust cover on it. If you're using Win95, you need 95C (comes with IE4) or 95B with the USB supplement. Even starting with 95C, making it work took a bit of doing, and even so it's a little flaky. Devices are NOT hotplug. If I unplug a flash drive and want to use a mouse, I have to reboot first. If I want to switch flash drives, yep, reboot. And every time it gets a new flash drive, it prompts for a driver install disk.

Upgrading to Win98 is highly recommended if your machine can reasonably run it. That should get hotplug, but flash drives will still want their own drivers. I think someone extracted the generic USB MSD driver from WinME and made it work in 98.

Mine can't reasonably do Win98. It has 8 MB RAM soldered to the board. I could install a stick of up to 128 MB, which I'd like to do. But it only works with EDO RAM, a standard that was made because SDRAM was too slow, but was pretty quickly replaced with DDR. EDO SODIMMs are nearly unobtainable these days, at least at semi reasonable prices.

$20-30 on ebay. If you actually use the device, thats not too horrible.

Installing now. Lots of packages.
I do, too much dude weed lmao though

Try NT 4. There are good third party usb and fat32 drivers. My flash drive worked.

I forgot that nt 4 sucks with less than 32 megs ram

Better than it was when I looked last. I even see some 64 MB ones for $7 and free shipping.

Yeah, chinks seem to be making cheap ram for legacy devices now. a 1gb stick of PC2700 for my "new" iBook costs $4. Month long shipping from hong kong, but i can just use the soldered on 512 until then.

anyone have access to any x86 Unix SysV releases?

Oh shit

Linux install was a bust since I accidentally made Lilo try to boot from floppy. I guess it's time for win2000

Turn off floppy in the BIOS.

Boot DOS from a floppy and use LOADLIN.COM to load the kernel from in DOS.

Sorry too late; didn't realize

Ahhh remember using this baby, whew boy. I remember when it finally broke down

My Mac G5

user, I just got a Mac G4 and would like to get rid of the my iMac G3. Do you live in the Northwest area, because I'll give it to you if you are.

Damn. Nope, I'm in Kansas.

I got this Lombard Powerbook for free from a neighbour. It was running OS X 10.3, which felt like a giant piece of shit on this hardware, and frankly old versions of OS X have zero charm. I already have a 7500 and a few G4 machines, but I kinda want to keep this one for general Classic Mac OS fuckery.

Problem is OS 9 can't find the hard disk for some reason.

Remember that froggy counting game oh man, lotta business done with this bad boy.

Disc was formatted without the OS9 disc drivers option checked.

Go to macintosh garden and install games on it

Windows 2000 installing now

That probably means the machine can't boot OS 9. Each model of Mac has a minimum version of MacOS that it is able to run. Past a certain point they made them only able to boot OS X. If that's the case, use that and install OS 9 in Classic.

I wish I hadn't been born in 1996

I had that laptop once, but it died from shortcircuiting from the rupturing of it's internal battery because I powered it with a homemade power supply.

Who told you that was a good idea?

Nah, the Powerbooks and iBooks that followed Lombard and Wallstreet could boot Classic no probs.
You either need to "bless" the System Folder or make the HD bootable.

pic related

>Sent from my TiBook :^)

>I wish I hadn't been born in 1996
I wish you hadn't been born, too.

I haven't tried long enough to consider an heroing, or?

Damn guys, this thing was great back in the day, before Dell came along.

That machine was made before OSX and launched with OS8.6 and has full support for OS9.2.2

>posting phone screenshot of image in thread, in the same thread, instead of >>replying
kys

>not recognizing the true power Leapfrog held back in the day.

If it had the power to click the post number and make a proper reply, it would seem it's more powerful than your phone.

It definitely is dude my phone aint Leapfrop, its just an S7 Edge

>he changed the bg on the one screen

Why did it take you over a half hour to post that?

Because I'm a fuckin dumbass, otherwise I wouldnt be posting pics of a childrens toys either.

??
All the wallpapers are the same.

The win98 desktop themes program stillworks on windows 10 but back up before using it

>that non tahoma font
disgusting

yeah but it doesn't change the colors in anything beyond Win7, which is coincidentally the point where Microsoft completely fucking lost it.

link?

Speaking of old things that still work...

Many of the screensavers work too.

>tfw the think screensaver on my G40 requires dlls im too lazy to hund down to run on my 8.1 box

What did it look like. A quick google search brought up an IBM.scr that features an eye and a bee.

like this wallpaper, but the lines move and the word think pops up.

bump

Flip image.

Why would you want to use a SD card with a G5? Horrible speeds, a ATA adapter would be much better idea with a CF card.

Just saying.

It's a good idea if you know what you're doing.

Why do retro 4:3 laptops look so damn comfy?

No clue, start researching.

Cause he's a pile of shit that hijacks a post thread.

The SCSI2SD card is going into my Quadra 950. Going to put A/UX on it.

Now I just need the time.

That's nice. Good luck.
Still think a ATA adapter would have been a better idea, price and performance wise.
The SCSI2SD performance is good for something like a Macintosh Classic.

Quadra 950 doesn't have an IDE bus.

>what is an 50-pin SCSI to ATA adapter
That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Also, the SCSI2SD is parallel-to-serial, while SCSI to ATA is just parallel-to-parallel and CF cards aren't limited by SD card speeds.

It's never going to hit the saturation limit of Compact Flash, nor SD Card so I'm not worried about the speed of the medium.

Any SCSI IDE Bridge is over a hundred bucks I've found thus far online, and then I'm still stuck with finding a drive that's small enough for A/UX to not bitch about, or hacking a solution together to fit in an SD Card small enough into what would now be a triple bridge (SCSI->IDE/CF)

With the SCSI2SD I can just configure it, power it (hopefully) off of TERMPWR and not require running or another MOLEX splitter.

I got one for $13 off eBay, look for 50-pin SCSI to ATA, never even seen one as expensive as you mentioned for that, the SCSI2SD is limited to 2.5 MB/s, the Quadras SCSI bus can do way better than that.
How is finding a drive small enough a problem? You know CF cards run on the ATA protocol, just plug a CF card straight into the ATA port of the SCSI-to-ATA adapter and you're good to go, there are sizes from 2MB to 256GB, a 512MB card is not even $10.

Also, the ATA to CF adapter is passive and $4 on eBay. Not a triple bridge hack.

All in all, the ATA CF card solution with a card included would be around $25 bucks, way faster transfer and seek speeds, while the SCSI2SD is $70 and that's not even counting an SD card.

Yea, ATA to CF is passive but I'd like to avoid having too many physical adapters, just creates something that can get disconnected or break.

I haven't found a 50pin SCSI To ATA on Ebay. Closest matches returned the AEC7720U which is still in production but over $200.

Sweet, now all I need to do is find an OS X install disc. My Quicksilver G4 is running Tiger and I have a Tiger install, but my understanding is that this machine will only support up to 10.3. I should be able to download a Panther install disc somewhere and then just use the G4 to burn it, and then it's smooth sailing once I wipe the drive and get Mac OS 9 drivers installed.

No fucking clue why the previous owner would have installed OS X without Classic.

Torrent, if it's a .DMG or .toast, you can just rename it to .ISO and burn it on a Windows machine too.

Pentium pro 180Mhz chrome benchmark.

Fucking masochist

IBM 2Gb SCSI drive benchmark

Gahh - I don't know how to feel about this. It's neat but I'm conflicted (I'm a C= loyalist).

IBM 9Gb SCSI drive benchmark

I'd love to have a modern DE that looks like that.

Best trip

Go say that in a neckbeard or desktop thread.

The 9 GB drive is halfway bearable, but that 2 GB is wretched

It will run Tiger, just horribly and it will be a pain to get it on there because no firewire for target disk mode.

:-/

it's from le retroo movie for redditors.

So I hear connecting an old OS to the Internet will guarantee it will be hacked within 24 hours even if you don't go anywhere.

Do you guys just stay offline?

That's just stupid.
Don't believe everything.

Nice! There's a 2000 and possibly 98 machine in the HVAC guy's office at work. There's also an old Pentium machine just sitting out. I'll finish the laptop install later; might also try NT 4.

It's really hard to get any of modern programs/utilities running on nt4/win2k.

There's some japanese website dedicated to bringing win2k up to date but in combination with translation from google translate I fucked up my installation.

>old versions of OS X have zero charm
genuinely upset about this statement

Maybe not zero, but anything before Tiger is quite useless. Even at their time.

>problem is OS 9 can't find the hard disk for some reason.

Can't you just initialize the disk under Mac OS 9 when you boot it up with the CD, use Drive Setup under utilities folder.
No need for an OS X disc to reformat the drive there with OS 9 drivers.

Is there a way to give Mac OS9 the "System 7" look?

run it in 16 color mode

This is a set of native appearance manager themes that includes a System 7 theme.

macintoshgarden.org/apps/appearance-addons-appearance-manager

I've used it a lot on my OS9 mac

Nice, could you share a link?

>It's really hard to get any of modern programs/utilities running on nt4/win2k.
Not really, Win2k runs everything reasonably well that also works on XP.

not sure if my motherboard is retro enough, but ill ask anyway
i have a MSI K7D master board with BIOS version 1.91 (i think its the latest), and currently i put in amd athlon XP 1700+ and 512 DDR ram (because poorfag and athlons MP literally nowhere to be found)
when i plug in just the CPU, RAM and PCI video card, the board boots fine into bios, everything works, but when i plug in HDD and DVD-RW (wanted to boot linux live cd) it randomly hangs, sometimes doesnt even display the bios screen (diagnostic LEDs stop on a random combination, not always a meaningful error)
also i get error 'conductor cable 80 not installed' when ATA cable is plugged in
is the bios corrupt? i dont believe the onboard IDE controller is broken because a few times it started booting from the cd and then hanged, and sometimes hanged as soon as the memory test started (if it was broken then there would be a particular point where everything would crash)

also, one of the SMD electrolytic caps on the sound-related part of the board seems to be ripped off, can it cause the problems (in the manual it says audio codec is located there) or it can be repaired later?

any help would be much appreciated, ill post pics later of the board and the ripped off capacitor

try a different PSU.

thanks for the quick reply, but i dont think that is the problem, with that same psu i tested a board with an athlon x2 and pci express gpu as well as the dvd rw (it was a shitty nvidia gt210 but it consumes much more than ati rage pro pci), not to mention that other board uses 24-pin connector while this one uses only 20 (and both use an atx12v connector)

I have the same laptop, but it's dead.
I like the smells of that laptop, though.

fuck, i replied to myself

also heres a pic of the board

jesus playing games
lmao

I'm normally an Amiga guy, but I've started to really want an ST.

As far as I remember, the Amiga creators first approached Atari with their machine.

But Atari didn't want it, so they had to go to Commodore.

In another world, we would have had one machine with the Amiga's graphics and Atari's MIDI capabilities for the music fags. And without Commodore's idotic management.

TRAITOR

Jay Miner originally worked at Atari before starting Amiga Inc, which made accessories for Atari 2600 to fund the development of the Amiga computer.

NT 4, yes. Win2K doesn't have web browser support anymore either. The laptop can run XP SP3 fine, but for nostalgia purposes I am trying older OSes. Once I get bored I will probably install Windows XP since AFAIK it does everything better than 2000 that I can imagine.

Forgot to mention that there is a program called "Inexperience Patcher" that gives XP the 2000 look, replacing the GUI entirely.

Have you tried a different ATA cable?

I'll just leave this here. Maybe someone else will find it useful. It's an open source compatibility layer for windows 9x, I had some fun with this and old Windows 98 installation I had.

kernelex.sourceforge.net/

Has anyone of you ever tried Linux on a PS2?

yes, i also tried different RAM, different PSU (not much better than the first but ill try with PSU from my main PC which is like 600W tomorrow) and it still hangs randomly
heres a pic of the missing capacitor, right under the one in the middle (edge of the board), you can see that the solder pads are not smooth, indicating it has been ripped off (i also compared the board with the pics online and there should be a cap in that spot)
is there anything more i can try? i have some more athlon XPs but the board doesnt support 0.13um chips as far as the official cpu support goes (i may try and see what happens)

its actually right of the cap on the top of the board, the fucking picture rotated

Whats your pocket basic device?

I doubt that cap would cause such shenanigans, but you did turn off the onboard sound in BIOS just in case, right? HDD and DVD drive are jumpered correctly? Have you tried connecting each as master to their own IDE channel? Also try every possible combination of PCI slots for those cards you have, as well as every possible combination of plugs on the ATA cables.

shit, i forgot to disable sound, brb with the results
and yes, i tried plugging the cable differently, jumpers are ok (BIOS doesnt detect the drives if i set them wrong which i did at first), and ill try an agp card now, maybe it fits in the slot more tightly (the pci slot seems a little loose)

>Retro thread
>AGP slot
Man, I'm old.

need a new hdd desu

im 20 and i dont treat AGP as retro, maybe because i have a few dozen of 8088/286/386/486/586/pentium motherboards and only 2 or 3 boards with AGP slots
the newest retro hardware for me would be pentium 2 or 3, but the last piece of hardware i find worth collecting as retro hardware are pentium pro systems (because pentium 2/3 can be found everywhere)

I've read a ton about it, but never got around to trying. There are still some people actively working on a 2.6 kernel port psx-scene.com/forums/f167/porting-linux-2-6-ps2-67806/ (yes, this thread has been going since 2010).

I read that thread, that's what got me intrigued about it. Seems like it could actually make a decent shitposting machine. The lengths these people go to to tickle some more performance out of that thing are fascinating.

>Designed for Microsoft Windows NT

muh dick

21 here, and my oldest PC is a Pentium II and I envy you. My 2004 Pentium 4 computer had an AGP graphics card good enough to run Oblivion and Fallout New Vegas. AGP lasted a lot longer than you would have thought.

Yeah, it's very interesting reading. I'd want to do some kind of VGA mod, or buy the SOG VGA cable that came with the linux kit, before messing with it.

By the way, what kind of monitors can one expect to support Sync-on-green? I have no idea how "rare" of a feature that is, really.

I'm really not sure. I have a bunch of CRTs, and figured one of them would. 1080i to a TV with component might actually be better than a cheap CRT at lower res anyway, but I don't have good options there. I'd have to check what VGA res the PS2 supports.

IIRC it's up to 1280x1024. 1080i might really be a better option. It's tough finding good quality component cables though, all I had so far were flimsy shitwhips.

now if I can find a way to swap out the dreadfully placed shift/ctrl keys and get a good text editor on here I'll be set

>In another world, we would have had one machine with the Amiga's graphics and Atari's MIDI capabilities for the music fags. And without Commodore's idiotic management.
Some of them worked at Atari, they made the 8bit Atari line, they wanted to make a new machine, but Atari wasn't interested at the time, they left and got more people and started to make on on their own, first named Hi-Toro, latter Amiga Inc, but run into financial troubles, they also got a loan from Atari latter, who now wanted and would have gotten their chipset if they where not picked up by Commodore, whose CEO had left for Atari btw, Atari latter used a few tricks they did get from the original Amiga chipset in the ST, the ST was made by the people who originally worked in Commodore and made the Commodore 64 while the CEO of Commodore left, he took those guys with him to Atari.

A lot of people still think the C64 is the predecessor of the Amiga and the 8bit Ataris are the predecessors of the ST, actually it's wise versa.

But no, you would not had a machine like that. However it would have played out. Also, both managements where stupid, Commodore and Atari.

Yes, what do you want to know? I messed around with it lots when I was young and bored and unemployed one summer.
Not that useful, very limited by the specs, even less useful than Linux on a equivalent specs x86 machine, did listen to .mp3 streams with XMMS though, as a living room radio.

The browsers are very memory limited. You can't load a page like Cred Forums on it. Unless in text mode only.

Sync-on-green works great, just cut open a VGA cable and get a PlayStation A/V connector, more modern LCD's support Sync-on-green.
Google for pinouts.

>swap out the dreadfully placed shift/ctrl keys
Open it up and swap the lines for the keys with a hackjob and the caps for the corresponding keys.

>good text editor
archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_texteditors

Crap, I thought at least Cred Forums was possible on 32 megs of memory. Oh well.

I always wondered what set the PS2's CPU apart from x86 in terms of capabilities, then and now. What does/did it have that other CPUs don't/didn't? And what were all the 128 bit shenanigans about? I wonder what kinds of interesting stuff you could poke on a low level.

as kludgy as it is that sounds way more straightforward than what I was going to try, just swapping the caps and finding some kind of key remapper TSR or something (if such a thing even exists)

>archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_texteditors
that's some good shit
I was thinking of going with the freemacs 95LX port here retroisle.com/others/hp95lx/software.php along with the C compiler for the fuck of it, probably should get an SRAM card first

>Crap, I thought at least Cred Forums was possible on 32 megs of memory. Oh well.
It would be actually possible if you'd port a lightweight browser onto it, something like Dillo.
You could load a page on Firefox, but be ready for random crashes, even with a swap partition, it's not very stable when it runs out of memory.

It is quite capable, but it lacks optimization.

>It would be actually possible if you'd port a lightweight browser onto it, something like Dillo.
would you really even need that? I shitpost here from 128/64MB systems on occasion and its never been much of a problem, it's almost as fast as doing it on newer hardware

even my shitty macs that can't manage memory properly can at least half-load a thread with ~4 MB free

You could possibly tweak the DOS keymap also, good luck.

As I said, it lacks shitton of optimization, it's nowhere workable.

A 100MHz Pentium with 8MB RAM running DSL (Damn Small Linux) was working better than Linux on the PS2, you could actually browse without random crashes.

If you know the subject, you could possibly make a stable system on the PS2, but that would take quite some work.

>Also, both managements where stupid, Commodore and Atari.
Atari's management can not possibly have been as shitty as Commodore's.

Atari wasn't also interested in the Amiga as a whole, just wanted the work other people had done on the chipset.
Also, the ST line didn't work out that well, did it? They just terminated it because they could not make it profitable.

I found a TSR that does exactly what I was looking for:
web.archive.org/web/20071014213100/http://mindprod.com/products4.html#DVORAK

>didn't get archived due to robots.txt
>not on his site anymore for some reason even though he still has a bunch of other DOS utilities up
don't feel like trying to email them for something so trivial, oh well

thinking of just sticking it out anyway and picking up a 200LX or maybe an OmniGo even though they can't run DOS, the design is neat looking

that's retarded, but not surprising I guess
>If you know the subject, you could possibly make a stable system on the PS2, but that would take quite some work.
maybe, but I bet it suffers from the same documentation starvation as SGI boxes do when it comes to Linux support

Well, Commodore kept making PCs at a loss because they wanted to get into the business market. They should have terminated that branch and used the money to improve the Amiga line so it didn't fall behind PC clones.

Yeah, both of them fucked up. Commodore had no idea what to do with the Amiga for most of the time.

Do some BASIC demos on it and show us!

I agree, I'd like a capable ST machine on a desk too, I'll work on getting one.

there's this:
winworldpc.com/product/att-system-v-unix

if you want to fuck around with it. no idea if it works. you might need some really old 30mb drive to get it to work properly.

I think there should be a few UNIX systems online too you can telnet into and explore.

It's just too bad that the Falcon is so expensive.

A Falcon030 is the only ST machine I actually respect for it's cleverness.
But yeah, almost impossible to get.

Why don't my 65XE's see the floppy drive?

Dont tape the battery fag it will overheat

Said floppy drive

Not really.

if you mean sysV in general and not just retro AT&T stuff, search for "sol-10-u8-ga-x86-dvd.iso" on filewatcher and grab the last sun-branded solaris version

virtualizes excellently

SCO might be a good candidate too for older hardware, winworld should have some images archived

That's a big drive.

Never had a 8bit Atari, but I'd love to hear more.
Hope you find the answer.

It's [spoiler]THICC[/spoiler]

I'm in on my couch right now and I will not stand up anymore today. Sorry.

Holy shit, what a letdown.

Sadly I don't have much free time. Literally didn't take them out of closet for at least a year.

Do you people do anything except ogle retro hardware you don't even own? Picture related is the current state of my NeoGeo MVS consolization project. I still need to sort out PCM sound issue on the 161-in-1 multicart (solved by adding some missing bypass caps onto the boards), wire the sound output to a proper connector (rather than just a passive speaker running off the built-in amplifier), switch out the arcade PSU for a PicoPSU and put in the finishing touches by ether building for modifying something into a case for the thing.

it's 8:30 pm and episode IV is on TV.

That cat looks unhappy.

>Do you people do anything except ogle retro hardware you don't even own?
Except ogling at the hardware I do own?

Also, that's freaking awesome.

>Do you people do anything except ogle retro hardware you don't even own?
sure but do you really want us all to blog every last excruciating detail of mundane tasks like OS installs or what shitty game or piece of software we ran today? it's fucking Cred Forums, post some shit and don't be a smug dick about it, besides, didn't you already post this shot already in like 3 other threads?

Does everything works?

Dudes excited.

sure, guess I would be too
I would be excited just to have the clean workspace

>didn't you already post this shot already in like 3 other threads?
I've personally only posted it once. Somebody else might have reposted it, but as I said, this is only the second time I've posted on Cred Forums about this project.

Not him but, I'm pretty sure you posted it with an explanation like the one you had here on a retro thread few days ago.

Faulty IDE cable or
Bad jumper position on the drives

>blog every last excruciating detail of mundane tasks like OS installs or what shitty game or piece of software we ran today?
I enjoy doing this. Maybe when I get home later I'll finish the 2000 install it. Also the user who wants Vista with MS Bob, I'll try that on the 550 MHz desktop AMD machine. I remember it's last experiment with Vista was surprisingly usable.

Yes, I made a similar post in a retro thread a week ago. That was the first time I posted about it and this is the second.

Nice to see it's going along.

Nice one user. Here's mine, the hard disk doesn't work sadly.

Someone who actually still watches TV, you don't see people like that outside retro threads.

cool then, good luck on it
would kind of like to do some hardware blogging since I have a stack of DECtalks that need to be fixed but I have no time or space to work on them, maybe some day

I want one of those old Toshibas so bad. I'd trade my Compaq Armada for it in a heartbeat. I have an HP from 2000 with a Celeron, but it has a terrible passive matrix screen.

are they really that good? they're easily the most common old laptop I encounter but I usually pass them up because they look and feel rather cheap compared to other vendors

As I said the hdd is busted. Everything else still works. I've thought of using a usb stick as a storage unit for windows but I can't figure out the usb driver that I found on the internet.

>I'd trade my Compaq Armada
You'd what? Not worth it.

I want to build a custom case based on the old Amiga pictured, the translucent window and the retro beige are fucking sexy. Maybe have the bottom bar flip open independently for the USB/headphone access.

Why don't they sell cases like that one these days? There's clearly a market for them.

Quite impossible to find a original case, you'd be better of making one from scratch.

I agree. I'd pay more than any fucking LED monstrosity for a case based on some of those older designs.
I'm going to try modifying some stock case like a Lian Li. Only problem is I never quite found a good paint match for that old beige look.

Good luck! Good idea.

>I agree. I'd pay more than any fucking LED monstrosity for a case based on some of those older designs.
I can totally relate. I'm myself partial to Sun Microsystems and Silicon Graphics.

ebay sellers "specialized" in old hardware without knowing literally anything are cancer.
usually also at the same time the greediest fucking spastics.

just saying.

We know.

.DMG isn't the same format as .ISO though.

does anyone here have win9x drivers for toshiba satellite 345CDT? i have the laptop and its working, i installed windows 95 but sadly no drivers for it anywhere
btw im this guy i think the problem with the board (other than the failed sound/ethernet, i disabled everything i could) is CPU overheating, because i ran memtest and it worked for like 7 minutes and then it hanged
now ill put some proper cooling on it and see the results
thanks for your help for this anons

Yeah, this won't work for normal DMG files like when you download OS X software, but usually does for disc images. DMG is just a container.

>does anyone here have win9x drivers for toshiba satellite 345CDT?
Just get device ID's for device drivers you need from Device Manager and Google them.

yeah, but i didnt see PCMCIA and chipset related devices anywhere (i dont even know if it needs a chipset driver, but it definitely needs PCMCIA cause cards wouldnt work)

No PCMCIA under Control Panel?
Usually the Windows PCMCIA driver works fine, get installed after you put in a PCMCIA card.

Where does one even find VID/PID in Win95's Device Manager?

This screenshot is from a VM and I didn't have any "Unknown device" entries to try, but this has been a problem for me before. The best solution I could find was to boot some mini Linux and check the device ID there.

Or get something like Everest. AIDA probably does not support devices that old.

I can't find anything about a 345CDT, but I have a 445CDX and its drivers and spec sheet are available just by going to support.toshiba.com and putting in "Satellite Pro 445CDX". Yours may have some drivers in common with it.

Topkek

>Sell vintage Everex Windows 95 laptop to customer on eBay.
>For parts & not working.
>Ram slots pictured empty.
>Battery not included (holy shit NIMH from 1995 isn't safe to charge anymore)
>HDD not included.
>Customer sends nasty message, 1 NO BATTERY, 2 NO HDD CABLE, 3 NO RAM!!1

Ffs I hate eBay retards

Yes
ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=beaconsfield-electronics&_sop=16

>those ppc mac prices
>that fucking retarded cah house """"mod"""" iMac

>cah
cat*

Also i bought a useless mouse.

you can rip apart .dmgs with 7zip on pc too. No idea when this would be useful, but its doable.

Might something have been lost in that URL? It's a list of all the stuff from one seller. They're selling everything from jewelry to industrial equipment. Yeah the prices do look a bit high on many of the old computers though.

>APPLE ITV PREMINUIM DOMAIN NAMES-INVEST FOR THE FUTURE-.6 .COM DOMAIN NAMES
>PREMINUIM
For $4700. I hope the domains are spelled better than the product description.

no, i just posted the main store. Here is the vintage computing section sortted buy price highest first.

ebay.com/sch/Vintage-Computing/11189/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=beaconsfield-electronics&_sop=16

The Armada has an excellent screen but it lacks a floppy drive. The other laptop has a floppy drive, but terrible screen. The M700 was in production for a while and the later versions had Pentium IIIs or maybe even newer processors. I like the brick aesthetic better than the Armada's sleek (especially for 1999) businesslike profile. I want to try NT 3.51 but I suspect I will have trouble with drivers (There is a generic VESA/VBE driver and perhaps the ATI Rage desktop one will work). I will post pics again if I have any luck.

Forgot this laptop had God tier speakers. Extreme volume and excellent sound quality. Wish my new laptop could do this.

youtube.com/watch?v=PWeO5IkCssk

ONLY AMIGA MAKES IT POSSIBLE

Those arms are very phallic. Please tell me there is porn of this.

>how dare somebody sell something at hipster inflated value without being a hipster

I see you luddite losers are getting your just desserts.

>who inflated the prices
you

>who has to pay these prices
you

Gone are the days where you can walk into any thrift store and find psuedo-precious old tech because some soon to be businessman "millennial kid" knows how to flip garbage to hipsters. worked out great.

Want to know who else does this?
craigslist boomers selling classic cars. Stuck in this weird state where they won't sell the car to anyone who doesn't know everything about it but that very person will always know it's not worth the asking price for 20-30 years and then it ends up as a rustbucket lawn ornament unsold. same as you.

This laptop is comfy

Same here. I would pay quite a lot for a TiBook with modern internals.

what brand are those caps? That motherboard was made during the capacitor plague

that cum encrusted clit looool

It was a fun movie, just because it has mainstream appeal doesn't mean you have to hate it.
In their day the C64 and ZX Spectrum would have been "for Redditors" as well.

those screens were the sex

>0 results in Vintage Computing

>The Armada has an excellent screen
Speak for yourself

Hello justin, nice to see you're still a no life loser. I was worried something happened to you.

i want to say you'll be fine 1996 tells me its prob ni-mh or ni-cad prob not lithium - either way the charge controller is gonna short and stop it from doing anything bad anyways

Wohooo, museum quality indeed.
Got one in mint condition for 30 bucks.

>6% off
wew

This is not okay.

some day when I have more disposable income I'm going to buy myself a nice loaded ultra 60 and daily it

they just look way too nice, especially with that nice embossed sun logo on the side panels

that's a pretty good find, AIO beige G3s were rare as fuck

they look like really good bridge boxes

>that LC
haha holy fuck is this guy actually making sales?

will give them credit though at least it's nice looking shit they're bothering to take actual pictures instead of recycledgoods-tier white background bulk shit and seemingly testing it beyond "I pressed the power button and it turned on but I'm very lazy and want $500 for all 5 minutes of my effort I put into this thing that was donated to me for free"

6% off? thats a steal dude

There is a recapped color classic out there that someone bought for $751.99

and someone in Denver was selling them for mere pocket change.

>tfw i dont have a car otherwise i would have drove the 3 hours for that to buy some shit

I bet a lot of them are on eBay now, you could easily make 10x profit from some of them

Ya ever get so drunk you buy crate of old laptops?

What can I do with a fuckload of "Ibook G4's"?

Do what the iBook Guy did.

I once got so drunk I dropped a eMac on my foot.
22.5 kg, the eMac was fine.

No idea. I have a single one on the way and i dont know what to do with it.

Is this you?
ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-24-Apple-iBook-G4-12-1-Laptop-July-2005-1-33GHZ-512MB-40GB-Wifi-/311696663989

If so, you bought them for about what they will go for individually ($28 is right in the middle of the acceptable range). I guess you can part them out.

>tfw i almost got 4 ibook G4s for $30 but i fell asleep and got outbid

PPC desktops are strong af. My G4 tower and CRT studio display cartweeled off my desk once because my cat is a bitch and its fine, The uSB ports on the studio display started working again too.

>The uSB ports on the studio display started working again too.
>stale meeems

Buts its true, its currently sitting in my spare room because its screen scratched to shit.

lmao not me but some other guy is going to fall intro the same trap

>aww dude 9 million computers fuckin right man

Woah hold on...

>$28 is right in the middle of the acceptable range

Is there like a PC model price guide?

No, thats just from me looking at how much they cost when buying one last week.

I want a 17" DLSD PowerBook G4 (the ultimate Powerbook G4), but i dont spend over $100 on PPC shit.

That's why I said, everything went better then expected.

The Compaq has NT 4 on it now. Diablo 2 should work or it's back to 2000 or XP. For reason Winamp never works on NT 4 for me so I have to use Real Jukebox.

I think you will need some libraries.

I have a 660CDT, OP! Was confused seeing "my" computer in the catalog.

I'd love to run arch on it, but at this point I don't even have any idea of how to install things onto it, let alone finding something that can run on 16 (!) megs of ram.

SGI had awesome cases too.

These are the mice made for the Sega Megadrive/Genesis. The one to the left is the European version, and the one to the right is the US version. The Japanese version looked like the European, but the buttons were blue instead. I think the Megadrive versions have a really cool design, and I'd love to have a modern one made in a similar way. It should be possible to connect it through USB with a converter, but it's a ball mouse and doesn't have a scroll wheel, which I'd like to have.

I don't think Arch will work, it needs i686 (Pentium Pro and up), while yours is an i586.

Oh cum. I really want to be able to run whence.com/minimodem/
on it

Why would you need Arch for that? Debian Jessie is still i586 compatible, also the source code is on that page so you can compile it for whatever distort you want.

Question is how the hell to get it onto the thing. I don't think it's possible at this point, because all I have is the CD drive. It also doesn't have ethernet.

You have a CD drive, why not burn a CD then?

I'm honestly not sure if it can boot off of a CD. I tried. This is how ancient it is.

It might have something to do with the CD having stuff meant for i686 or higher on it, but I think it would have then at least gotten out of BIOS before saying "nope, can't compute"

Does it have a floppy drive? There are floppy images online that have a GRUB on it capable of booting from CD, IIRC.

I don't believe so, no. Lost a lot of peripherals in a move.

Then I'm afraid your only chance is to get the HDD out and install a suitable boot loader from another machine, or get an IDE-CF adapter.