Why are "IT" guys such dicks?

Thoughts Cred Forums

They're not. This is a trope created by TV and movies.

that's the mailman

How would you feel if you were sitting in front of a luminescent pannel giving instruction to a calculator for 8 hours a day?

Kek.bc they get eaten by dangerouz dinausors

This.

/thread

Oh oh oh, you didn't say the magic word!

because all their time is taken up by dumb users fucking shit up that needs fixing

Stupid people perceive them as dicks because their questions have unfavorable answers.

>why can't you do it from there?
>because you're having trouble getting onto the network.
>ugh fuck this shit, i hate you IT fucks

because they generally get treated like shit

Well at least they're not mechanics
>I'm going to vandalize your property and not do the job you payed me to do because I'm having a bad day.

most that I know are actually very nice and laid back.

Most of the time they can't even find the power button.

They've always been outsiders and felt irrelevant. When they get to repair their uncle's computer they finally get that sense of authority. For some of them it grows over their head and they cling to it and try to enjoy every second of it. Being quickly annoyed by their job is part of the game in a way. It is supposed to boost the feeling of superiority in that moment, as it makes the person who needs help feel undeserving of the attention of the IT guy. They will of course mask that strategy by claiming that the problem he has to deal with are really super annoying etc, even though it is his fucking job and his fucking fault if he didn't know what he signed up for.

Anyway, it's actually a widespread and very foul character trait. Still, I know really many IT guys who are just the opposite. So it's of course just a stereotype.

their job is to tell users how to save ms-word.exe documents properly all day. every day.

you'd be mad too

They do have a hard life.

possibly low self-esteem and underdeveloped social skills

I'll give you an example.

About 8 years ago, I was in the middle of resolving an outage, both network and server. One of the associate level (bottom of the upper management level) managers wanted help with her ipod.

I told her I was unable to help her at this time as I'm trying to restore services so that 60 other people can do their job. She complained to one of the sr. managers and I was almost fired.

TL;DR - People are stupid and feel entitled, so fuck 'em.

>TL;DR - People are stupid and feel entitled, so fuck 'em.
Just like you feel entitled for your job to be easy. Yes, it sucks, but it's your fucking job, deal with it.

are you suggesting a users presumably personal media device trouble was equally as important as company-critical server/network outages?

>Just like you feel entitled for your job to be easy
lolno.

Is it your job to fix it?

No, actually, it wasn't.

Also, critical incident > desk side support.

If you were almost fired for shit like this you're better off just leave the place

>Just like you feel entitled for your job to be easy. Yes, it sucks, but it's your fucking job, deal with it.
these things are almost never part of your job description
if it's not company property or otherwise tied to the company, then it's literally not your job to fix them
it would make more sense if you got in trouble for wasting company time fixing them

Yep, took it as a sign and left about 3 weeks later. Didn't want to jump without having work first.

This

>Why can't I comment on this video?
>"Because you need to sign into your youtube account"
>What the fuck?! That's stupid. Thanks for nothing

True story.

I'd sell your mother in to prostitution, though that probably wouldn't hurt you much because you come across as the sort of cunt who hates or hated his own parents.

You angsty little shit. Get the fuck off this board.

For the few I know, because they don't like their job or don't know how to handle it properly.
IT is simple, of there's downtime, fix it so the business can work.
Source : two years as a helpdesk hero before moving on as a consultant.

Because we deal with compute illiterates on a daily basis and with me it's the same people wanting it there way like burger king and I have explain in a polite way it wont work your way now or ever

The amount of unbelievably incapable people in the world tears you down over time and makes you jaded. Especially when these people don't respect you and think you're the reason they're unable to properly use their device or software.

Realize you go to someone for support and they've probably talked to 20 other people just that day, 10 of which were retarded ass holes.

>"Yeah ma'am, it's not my fault you don't know what your home router password is, you'll have to get it to connect though. The wireless is working fine here so I don't know what to tell you"

>"Das jes an xcuse why aint my compooter werkin when im at home its alway werkin fine here what did u it guys do to it"

Most of us dont care to begin with let alone when you're dealing with this kind of shit.

because reasons

Why is it so dark in here? You have to switch the light on, first. Well, that's stupid. Thanks for nothing.

>2 years of helpdesk to consultant

Do you really think people would do this? Just go on the Internet and tell lies?

Serious answer?

Autism.

It tends to make normal everyday social queues into an obstacle that IT guys cannot overcome.

To ordinary people they come off as know it all pricks that have a hard time matching clothes or having a regular conversation.

We're not, you just don't realize you have no idea how stupid you are.

>

Exactly. I used to get users all the time bringing me their shit, wanting me to fix their byod garbage.

Do I look like I work in the Apple store?

Also users want me to show them how to do shit in excel. Bitch I don't use that software, all I know is servers.

Send a fucking email to the help desk and ask them.

Yeah, I was trying to help my ex's cunt friend. Feels nice to say that she had to get her appendix taken out a few months later, leaving a nasty scar.

No more beach body for bitch girl

So IT is most of the time overqualified, they want to work on braincell demanding stuff, but people bring them stupid shit.

And then, if they are good at there job, they have nothing to do but to sit there. Why? Because thanks to them everything is working well.

This is why people look at them and think they are lazy.

And so, they want them to fix their iphones, feed their cats and sweep the floor.

No love for the IT :(

because they have to deal with retards like me all day

Because you're a stupid fuck who can't read the manual and you fucked everything up by yourself then go to someone else to fix the shit you caused

>CEO literally told me she would commit suicide if she worked in IT

t-thanks

tick tock wagey, i bet if she told you to kiss her feet you'd have to do it or be blacklisted and never work again

have fun working the weekend wagecuck!

calm down I'm just an intern

Unemployed neet speaking lol.

>"i bet if she told you to kiss her feet you'd have to do it or be blacklisted and never work again"
>implying I wouldn't pay to be able to take the heels off a hot boss MILF and kiss her feet

and who the fuck are you?

>tfw IT
>supporting people who literally cannot identify the "desktop", "file explorer", or "start button" despite using windows daily for like 20 years
>usually end up just using remote desktop to fix their shit since i cant be damned spending 5 minutes attempting to have them navigate to the almighty "control panel"
>have met one single non-IT person within the company out of about 1000 who genuinely understood computers

some days i just want to give up, these people are beyond help.

at least they pay me well

It's a fucking iPod. Unless it was issued by the workplace, there is no obligation to assist.

not even IT is gauranteed to into computer

>guy wants to get video off a broken DVR
>plugs into windows laptop
>shit windows doesn't understands, clicks "initialize disk" before he hands it off to me
>he's MY BOSS (head of IT)

plugs the removed hdd*
should clarify, i suppose

I'm not an IT guy (I'm a software developer) but based on what I've seen, it's because they spend endless amounts of time trying to make everything work well only for idiots to promptly fuck it all up immediately after.

It's like if you were trying to build a scale model of Chicago complete with tiny public transit systems out of legos while people walking by randomly steal bricks and knock over buildings

>Something is broken
>Do x
>I did x
>It's still not working
>Ok hold on coming there
>You didn't do x
>Do x myself
>It works

dropouts and outcasts

Average people think they are smarter than average people, but know they are not smarter than extremely intelligent people.

IT people are smarter than average people, but only a little bit, therefore they believe they are smarter than everybody on the planet.

I will find where you stay, scout your windows, record all your movements and time, plan ahead, then kill you slowly while you're taking a dump, slowly, dirty, painfully.

They're tired of putting up with everyone's bullshit. IT, teaching and retail are the three quickest ways to become a cynical, godless dick.

People just throw their broken tech and scream, "FIX IT NERD!"

Do you know what's wrong? No? Can you describe the issue? No? Have you made ANY attempts at all to fix it? No? Have you even tried rebooting the--

>Look, I don't have time for your shitty interview questions, just fix it by tonight please.

...Right away, sir.

>network fucked at uni
>call it
>the wont tell me how to fix it or email me instructions via email
>try to tell them I know how to handle this kind of shit just tell me what to do
>make me come in
>pissed off when I come in

okay.

MOVE!!

You too would be pissed off, if you had to touch other people's hand salsa every day on their disgusting mouse and keyboards.

>Chelsea Peretti
>that Jew Nose
HNNNNNNNNNNG

the moment you are in such a situation change jobs to a better company.

The more downtime the shittier the IT
Ironically because you would think if the goddamn admin is fixing the server every month when it goes down he is good.

BUY IT SHOULDNT FUCMING GO DOWN

fucking lyer
because users are useless

if it only be that easy m8 its way worse

the moment I start looking for a better job and fill my papers asap.

they're not going to provide phone support for someone who's probably retarded and will waste their time

As an IT guy, this is bullshit. I'd say at least 90% of IT guys are dicks, if not more.

The reason why we're "dicks" is because we have to say the same shit to the same people every single day, fixing the same simple problems that you need only a sliver of intelligence to solve. You would turn into a dick too if you had to tell someone to unplug their router and plug it back in again over and over again.

because cunts keep coming to them with stupid questions that could be resolved by typing the words you spoke into the googlemachine and clicking more than the first link.

I was hired to be the head of the IT department of a big company here in my country who was bought by a japanese multinational, they fired the previous manager because nepotism and shit. I'm working there for almost two years now.

I'm hated by some white collars who were there before and wanted my spot but fuck them, they're snakes anyway. But nothing is compared to the hatred that blue collars feels towards me. It's uncomfortable, really.

And I keep it to myself, I'm chill. But they hate me anyway, well, if they think my job is easy why they don't go ahead and try? I'd be happy to watch them shutting down the whole company. I don't like people like that.

Why don't you get a new job that matches your vast intelligence?

Life isn't always a bowl of cherries.

IT monkey here
cases like this arises all the time, thats why you have VIP users. Those folks need immediate attention because of their status. every good IT desk have such users identified, because if they dont feel they get the attention they deserve there could be a LOT of trouble.

Every IT monkey learns this by good mentoring, or the hard way. In cases like this is your (our) job to explain to the VIP the criticality of the case you are currently attending and:

A) if you dont know'em well let them decide what will you attend
B) if you know them, you either know their character so you can proceed to fix their shit if they are bitchy, of if they are nice, aproper explanation will suffice to them

Sad but true. I didnt made the game, I just play along.

common users think our job is "easy" but dealing with bitchy clients could be a nightmare.

A client once ask for my replacement just because I made a friend with the wrong clique.

>Just like you feel entitled for your job to be easy
>implying
>Is it your job to fix it?
sometimes it IS.
I feel you bruv
So you think you know it all? Again, almost nobody tells you how to manage a difficult client, most of the time you learn from the punches you receive. A good IT boss will guide you on how to deal with people, and lemme tell you, good bosses, let alone IT bosses are scarse.

Well, is a weird compliment. I got those every now and then.
>Why are you so patient?
>Are not stressfull to deal with people as demanding as X?
>ignorant bosses
We all get one of those. I recently attended a ransomware case, The "IT overlord" nor the supervisor knew how to call the command line or how to call the services control panel because MUH GUI doesnt work

You think you can escape the bitchy users just by switching jobs?
MY SIDES

>The reason why we're "dicks" is because we have to say the same shit to the same people every single day

This is not a valid excuse.

E.G: If I were at a McDonalds and got treated like shit, by just asking a burger, I would report that motherfucker.

If that person felt that serving burgers is so soul crunching, then I would recommend to find a new job ASAP.

When you are serving people they dont care if you are in a shitty mood, they deserve respect.

Treat others the way like you would like to be treated.

It would be better if you gave more context, because you draw everyone else as people who hate you.

Are you certain that you dont do anything to be hated? leaving aside the fucking users that are perma-angry, it sounds to me that there is a lot more going on.

My middleschools IT guy tought me there is more than html and css
He showed me cs stuff he was a swell guy

>be sysadmin
>get called into a managers office
>user, my wireless keyboard isn't working. THE WHOLE COMPUTER IS FROZEN
>notice there are no lights on the keyboard
>me: looks like it needs new batteries
>manager: I could have figured that out. What are we even paying you for?
>mfw

>tumblr

>>/out/

yes it is
a bowl of cherries that already passed someone's digestive system

The only reason, that i am here where i am, is thanks to reading.

How does this work?
Oh ill just real the manual!

What does this button do?
Oh ill just read the statusbar/tooltip!

why did this not work?
Oh ill just read the error code!

90% of people who use a computer, do not read, they just click/tap shit until what they want to happen finally happens.

I cannot tell you how many times i've been in the situation where i'm saying
"hit the send button"
"i'm not as smart as you i don't know which one that is"
"ITS THE ONE THAT SAYS SEND YOU FUCKING MORON JUST READ"

its really fucking aggravating when "old people" always bitch you're good for nothing and too lazy, and then can't fucking read text on the screen telling them literally what to do and how.

Why do you pick a job that annoys you so much?

because i'm good at what i do and get paid well.

i got out of support and im strictly a developer now

most i have to deal with the making text larger so the old boss can read it

i almost got into a fight with a client on what the "start button" was (he thought it was the power button and kept turning the computer off when i asked him to hit the start button)

i cannot handle the end user unless there is someone in between us converting my hatred into PC language

People fuck with them all the time.

#1 most of the time you are the face of people losing their jobs. If some new tech comes in and half the people get fired you are there installing and doing maintenance. People are threatened and fuck with you.

#2 they are like a lawyer or doctor. They are a professional bringing in knowledge and skills to a group. The group often doesn't understand why they should listen to the IT guy sometimes. Again people are prone to fuck with you and you need to decide how much of a dick to be in order to get shit done.

And now the other half of that point. IT is a hard truth world when its done right. You do something because its better or faster. This is not always true in business though. So sometimes there are very good reason to tell IT to do something they dont want to that they cannot understand. Or at least not easily. Though this is a problem in newer IT people who have not adjusted to this.

Also overall helping people with IT is a pain in the ass. Most of the time people wont even remember what you show them they just remember to call you multiple times a week to do it for them.

This is for older people mostly who just refuse to adjust or absorb.

Also I should add that even well adjusted people in IT wont have the extra great social skills necessary to deal with retards all day.

...user asked, in a technology board

So, you're mad that you need to do repetitive tasks. Can you name a job where that is not the case? Oh wait, you want us to circlejerk you and say "lol users are so dumb only us elite IT professionalz are intellegient". Fuck off. And don't call yourself "IT guy". It's cringey as fuck.

Likability is part of the profession, call it "bedside manner." People don't like being made to feel stupid, we come across as dicks because people are embarrassed when the cause of the failure is something silly like "it was not plugged in." If you want to appear less of a dick, try to soften that blow of embarrassment, empathize.

I do this by telling them how that kind of mistake is an easy one to make, but they shouldn't feel bad because they are so busy doing X and already have enough things to remember. Try to mask your frustrations and remember that being asked about 100 times today, does not mean that the person calling you now has asked all 100 of those times, it is probably their first time asking it. For all our technical know-how, we are shit about not making people feel bad.

You also have to watch how you speak. Responding "no problem" when a user thanks you makes them feel stupid, they think you consider their complaints trivial and insignificant. You're welcome, my pleasure, happy to help, etc are much better. I have a problem with shoving "actually" into the start of my replies, it comes across as corrective when I mean it as a filler word to stop from stuttering.

If you aren't the right person to call about some problem they are having, don't just tell them to piss off, put them in touch with the right person. They don't know who to call, know enough about your organization to get them to a solution. Your department isn't some isolated separate bubble, acting like it is causes everyone to treat you like some weird computer troll instead of a real boy. If you come across as more of a guy, instead of a 'computer guy,' take an interest in the business, learn a little bit about the jobs these people are trying to do, and occasionally put forth an idea for how things could be made easier, your likability goes way up.