Why have people started using discord en masse? What's wrong with IRC, teamspeak et al?

Why have people started using discord en masse? What's wrong with IRC, teamspeak et al?

It has more features that are easily accessible to the average user

This isn't a hard question, user

Plus it's more visually appealing.

lower barrier to entry
better feature list for the average person

these are the primary reasons op.

Memes.

This.

With today's under 35s, meme value is the first consideration with anything

idk, skype is kill.
Im autistic, so I am going to setup irc and make everyone else use that. idk wtf I am going to do for video calling, ftp, and other crap. I feel setting up a community ftp server is a bad idea and a massive liability issue.

I don't know, it's actually a really terrible chat service

you have to make an account and give them your email and shit

You literally have to pay for teamspeak

It's because with Discord, you are able to invite other users without them having to install anything.

Idiots.

Because it's better.

Deal with it.

I use irc for some things and discord for others. Fuck Skype.
I'd rather use a floss messaging service but getting others to adopt one is hard. Getting others onto discord is easy.

Seemed really really nice, noped the fuck out when it asked for an email.

Also fuck recaptcha

>Using IRC in 2016

Gee whiz! Tomorrow I'll show you kids how to subscribe to newsgroups using Netscape!

This single fact has made me upon their discord and close discord in less than three seconds.

Into the trash it goes.

You tell em, tough guy, or should I say, kid?

Why aren't people using AOL chat rooms and myspace anymore?

They are relics of the past and have been made obsolete as superior options became available.

cause it works with the least amount of configuration outside of registering and swapping usernames and you don't even need to install it locally if you don't want to

Skype reached to an unimaginable level of shittyness that everyone migrated to Discord. Call quality is leagues better, the app itself is very lightweight, it doesn't randomly disconnect me from the internet for 5 minutes(fuck off Skype), and it's just incredibly easy to use. Even get to talk to friends in a group since we don't have to wait for 1 person to start a call.

I think it's very odd everyone just switched one day and started shilling it. Honeypot tier

Great comeback. It's proven now, popularity of Discord is definitely caused by memes.

It's a full fledged client that works, it has an actually good feature other clients don't have, and about the time it arrived, Skype turned into complete shit, at some point we couldn't even start a call with three people in it.

>IRC is bad becuz its old duh
better stop using fire and wheels fagtron

IRC is bad because it's bad, not because it's old.

IRC is literally perfect in every way as far as centralized text chat is concerned

Even that is false. When your aim is to chat with a particular group of people, you don't want to burden yourself with deciding on a server. That alone makes it not perfect.

And then of course it's just bad because it's a text chat in the first place.

>Even that is false
no

>When your aim is to chat with a particular group of people, you don't want to burden yourself with deciding on a server.
>burden
>deciding on a server
you can literally pick out of a hat. It literally makes no difference. global mods literally don't care what the fuck you do in chat as long as it isn't terrorism or CP, and even then if it's private no one will ever waste their time snooping to find out

>And then of course it's just bad because it's a text chat in the first place.
I'm sorry it doesn't communicate by smoke or whistles

>you can literally pick out of a hat. It literally makes no difference. global mods literally don't care what the fuck you do in chat as long as it isn't terrorism or CP, and even then if it's private no one will ever waste their time snooping to find out
It's an unneeded action. No amount of explaining how simple it is will change the fact. Perfection is ruthless.

>I'm sorry it doesn't communicate by smoke or whistles
I'm sorry you are retarded.

Discord is literally
Cred Forums: The Proprietary Chat Platform

>It's an unneeded action. No amount of explaining how simple it is will change the fact. Perfection is ruthless.
>unneeded
You need to choose what chat program to use, so I guess they're all imperfect

>I'm sorry you are retarded.
I'm sorry you want a chat program that doesn't use text

>You need to choose what chat program to use, so I guess they're all imperfect
We are evaluating a program for perfection so the choice which one to pick is not a part of evaluation.

>I'm sorry you want a chat program that doesn't use text
I'm sorry you are retarded.

>We are evaluating a program for perfection so the choice which one to pick is not a part of evaluation.
But when I eventually go to decie which one I want to use I'll have to decide, which makes them all terrible choices because none of them decide for me, according to your idea of perfection. Because I am forced to take voluntary action to chat, when I only want to chat, I've already lost 'perfection'

>I'm sorry you are retarded.
I'm not the one who seems to think having choices is bad, and being stuck to ultimately temporary servers is good. Hell I'd wager you're the retarded one

Your decision of which program to use is not a part of program functionality and cannot affect the final evaluation of whether the program is perfect is not.

>I'm not the one who seems to think having choices is bad, and being stuck to ultimately temporary servers is good. Hell I'd wager you're the retarded one
I'm so sorry.

>locally hosted irc server
>locally hosted web server running a web irc client

Wouldn't that be the best solution?

>no sound
Bravo.

>you are able to invite other users without them having to install anything.
>implying others don't have such feature

It's great I love it. It actually reminds me of IRC in lots of ways. Interface is slightly bloated but okay.

It's simple. It can be used for loads of things. You can be part of multiple servers without having to be "connected" to them at that moment.

Private friend messaging.
Good voice quality. Private calls and voice channels in servers similar to classic Vent/TS/Mumble etc.
Game integration.
There's a mobile app that works great.
Integrated picture sharing (which is great to me because it makes it simple to share cute kpop pictures with my friends. But I'm sure the young memer crowd loves this too)

You can be connected to loads of different communities in the same place. MMO guilds use it, esports scrim servers, music, pretty much anything.

>When your aim is to chat with a particular group of people, you don't want to burden yourself with deciding on a server. That alone makes it not perfect.
I don't know your group of people, but there is always someone who "knows computers" and "has his own website" that has some spare VPS that he can install Teamspeak on, takes 2 minutes.

How can you be so bad at reading?

You are responding to a post about IRC.

Please.

Yeah I'm stupid

You're both missing the point. Everyone worth talking to can be contacted with IRC or email. Facebook, Discord, Skype, Twitter, or whatever social software for the masses is popular now is for talking about dumb shit.

IRC as a protocol has some major scaling issues. There's a lot of extra data being transferred and there's a lot of odd unnecessary cruft hanging around. Permissions are a mess. Some of the biggest IRC servers go down regularly. I don't know why you say IRC is simple or beautiful, I've been working on a miniature client and bot framework in scheme and it's really fucking ugly. As a user, yeah I love it. But as a developer fuuuuuuck no. It's better than most other things but it's got problems.

I would rather use IRC than most other things. I'd rather write a discord bot.

>Skype turned into an ad infested shithole that can't hold 3 people in a call
>don't even have to install discord
Can't you play videos right in the client without getting redirected?

>Everyone worth talking to can be contacted with IRC or email.
You are mistaken about that.

Well he can also install an ircd. Takes like 2 minutes.

And letters. Happy?

>Why have people started using AOL Instant Messenger en masse?What's wrong with IRC, email et al?
>Why have people started using MSN en masse? What's wrong with ICQ, AIM et al?
>Why have people started using Skype en masse? What's wrong with MSN, AIM et al?

Time moves on.

Discord currently has everything IRC has combined with teamspeak and other instant messengers.

It has channels just like IRC, a notification system just like IRC, it has all the teamspeak features but it also hosts a IRC like chat next to it. Not only is the IRC chat visually appealing it also auto plays .webm .mp4 .gif etc...

Discord technically is the perfect evolution of a non secure IRC. It unites the best of all the programs such as Skype, IRC, teampeak into one neat pacakge

How is a IRC bot hard?

No.

Not hard. Just ugly.

Really easy to use

Even GBTN , game testers , started using it and they take forever to adapt

Tough. Everyone worth talking to who can be electronically reached can be reached through email. People who can't be reached through email are either ascetic or non persons.

It's white space separated plain text. How is it ugly?

First, you and your friends need to decide "Yo, let's go TS" through somewhere. Discord eliminates this as you can just message on there and instantly set up a private call or join a voice channel. Even then Teamspeak is more of a "temporary" thing. What if I just woke up, turn on my PC, and see that some friends are in voice channel and have the status "Playing Diablo 2", I can just hop in there with them without having them message me somewhere else with an IP.

Why though? You can be part of your obscure communities on Discord as well without having to talk to kids.
For example I joined this "3DS Hacking" server because I wanted to fiddle with coding on my old unused 3DS. Now I'm still on the same chat client as my friends and they will never know that I'm in this specific server unless they are too.

I'll concede that you can contact the. But just contacting them is not the intention of people who are switching to Discord en masse. They need real-time voice communication which neither email not IRC clearly does not provide.

>Why though?
Unformed people delight in the gaudy and in novelty. Cooked people delight in the ordinary.

>I'm so sorry.
You're not sorry for being a retard. Hell you probably don't even know how retarded you actually are

I consider my friends worth talking to, and I'm not about to start doing mailing list shit with them when they're all on discord

I honestly don't know.
IRC is a way the hell better platform than Discord will ever be.

I'm sorry for you being a retard.

>I consider my friends worth talking to
Probably because you're also a shit head.

teamspeake owner here, its false
you can keep up to around 30 slots before paying anything ever
stop spreading lies

I'm sorry you have shit opinions and resort to being a broken record when your retardation prevents you from admitting fault or continuing any sort of discussion

Who are you and why are you insulting people people you've never met, talked to, or about, and whom you know nothing about except the fact that they use discord?

>oh no it requires an email the google botnet is going to sell my precious bodily fluids to the jewlluminati

learn to use a burner email holy shit

you don't even need to confirm your email
just type some random shit and then a password and you're in

It's immediately functional, clean, and decently laid out.

Not being a steaming pile of shit like skype also helps.

>It has more features
last i checked you couldnt host your own server you have to use their servers

wrong

because its backed by chinese
chinese are big on shilling their data collection services see: opera, lenovo

Free software version when?

> broken record
Please, user. My claims are pretty clear:
1. IRC is not perfect for reasons I clearly listed
2. IRC is just bead because it only supports text chat.

You never addresses any of those.

You pretended to be a retard with your smoke signals, you posted a completely inane argument claiming that no program can be perfect as long and multiple of them exist (and I even gave you the benefit of doubt and posted a clean refutation to that, which you ignored), and then you made some wild assumptions about me not wanting any choice when in reality all I posted is how IRC is just no good for real time communication due to lacking sound.
But you never addressed any of my arguments.

Last week someone opened "his" ftp server to Cred Forums, you pussy

>Who are you and why are you insulting people people you've never met, talked to, or about, and whom you know nothing about except the fact that they use discord?
I'm the guy pointing out your bad taste on an image board for Chinese cartoons. The fact is that you chose your friends the same way you chose your software. You picked what you wanted.

I have Netscape, Vivaldi, Chromium and Firefox installed. Regularly use irc and discord, Telegram and Whatsapp.

>Free software version when?
10 years ago, but no one knows about it because its not shilled by chinese

>except the fact that they use discord
That's all it takes to know you are a phoneposting Cred Forumsedditor, please leave and take your proprietary malware with you.

1. Free
2. Web browser as well as light-weight program
3. (Overly) extensive options in terms of setting permissions, channels in each server and makes it easy to set up for the casual user.
4. Provides both text and voice chat in a fairly simplistic style.

I think the main part is that it's freeware without any actual subscription or server cost that integrates voice and text. Skype became incredibly shitty as others had said while remaining a free option.

>1. IRC is not perfect for reasons I clearly listed
>listed
>one (1) item
>list
You said you have to choose a server like that's a fucking argument. Any centralized client that you don't choose your server gives you no choice, is fundamentally flawed by having a single point of failure, and is therefor not 'perfect' and in fact, shit. Absolute shit by comparison

>2. IRC is just bead because it only supports text chat.
How can a text chat program be bad for only doing what it says on the box? Might as well complain that firefox is bad because it doesn't have a torrent client built in.

>You pretended to be a retard with your smoke signals
nah I just thought you weren;t stupid enough to have sound as a major selling point for text chats.

>no program can be perfect as long and multiple of them exist
It was as logical as your opinion that server choice is bad

>all I posted is how IRC is just no good for real time communication due to lacking sound.
>When your aim is to chat with a particular group of people, you don't want to burden yourself with deciding on a server.
Having trouble remembering your own words?

>The fact is that you chose your friends the same way you chose your software.
wrong and stupid. Intensely stupid. stupider than I thought post 2011 Cred Forums capable of

>That's all it takes to know you are a phoneposting Cred Forumsedditor, please leave and take your proprietary malware with you.

>phoneposting
Is that the new epic meme jaded losers are trying to force?

>Cred Forumsedditor
Another new epic meme? I post on neither btw

>malware
websites can't be malware in and of themselves

Most """people""" don't use actually good operating systems that ship with an IRC client or at least make it really easy to install one with just one command.

To be honest I've seen some hilarious misbehavior from opers on Rizon. From killing users as a joke to setting channels on +O (makes it so that only opers can join your room, and non-opers are absolutely powerless to remove it) because some troll was mass-inviting people to the channel. Oh yeah and an oper losing his shit and deregistering an entire channel when he got triggered. I think he may have even klined everyone in the channel. Opers are autistic fucks who are answerable to no one. Not to mention that every network ever mentions in it's motd that it can disconnect you for any or no reason at all. Gee that's inviting.

IRC is incredibly easy to implement familia.

Then don't use Rizon...

Mumble is hardly a competitor

>How can a text chat program be bad
IRC excels at text-based chat, but it doesn't fulfill the purpose the other user wants, which is voice chat. Thus, IRC is bad for his intended use of online communications.

Good thing I never said it's good outside of being a text chat.

Good thing I explicitly said it's only good as a text chat.

Oh wait retards still can't read English and will argue nonsense with me for an hour because they're too stupid or lazy to read properly

I swear every time I come back to Cred Forums it just gets worse.

It's like that on all the IRC networks worth using. I haven't used freenode much but it seems like they just subtracted corrupt opers and added incredibly autistic chan owners and ops.

Teamspeak a shit. Use Mumble

Just because you said explicitly said it's good for text only chat does not prohibit me from mentioning that it's it's still bad because it only does text chat.

>It was as logical as your opinion that server choice is bad
Not perfect does not equal bad, nice try though.

>You said you have to choose a server like that's a fucking argument. Any centralized client that you don't choose your server gives you no choice, is fundamentally flawed by having a single point of failure, and is therefor not 'perfect' and in fact, shit. Absolute shit by comparison
Finally a counterargument. Only took you two hours. Bravo.

IRC is not designed to be a VOIP client, it's like arguing a car is bad because it doesn't fly you to the moon

>When your aim is to chat with a particular group of people, you don't want to burden yourself with deciding on a server
holy shit, just google rizon webchat or freenet webchat, create a channel and tell your friends to join it, what the fuck is so difficult
for discord: create an account, create a room and tell your friends to join it
I don't seed the difference in difficulty

the good thing about IRC is that the protocol is open, there is no unique IRC server, it has many server and client implementations and it is stable and reliable

if you don't like or need the features that IRC provides don't use it, but don't argue that it is bad at things it is not designed for while ignoring things it is supposed to do well