Why do American "schools" let computer science undergrads graduate without a single course in abstract algebra?

Why do American "schools" let computer science undergrads graduate without a single course in abstract algebra?

My countries "education" is shit. President trump will fix that.

They don't?

American education is a joke, they simply cover this fact by throwing money at labs

Give an example?

Link a single catalog where abstract algebra is a requirement for the CS degree. And no, a theoretical concentration doesn't count since that pretty clearly goes against the spirit of what OP is asking for

Because people who major in computer science generally want to learn something that makes them employable after graduation.

You dont need math for java

so many plebs on this board holy fuck

>American "Schools"

MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, the Ivy League, etc.

The best schools in the world are in America, period. Suck our dicks yuropoor snackbars

I hear there is some uni in Dubai that is supposed to be good... oh and theres the school for looking at baby chicken asses in China... Oxford is supposed to be good for law... law in the UK at least...

>Suck our dicks yuropoor snackbars

This sort of childish statement indicates one thing. For you, "school" = 'kinder'

>My countries "education"
>countries
well played

Look at all the HS grads in this thread.
>preparing to learn about the sparknotes of The Great Gatsby

I was always told schools outside the US are better especially in Europe and Asia

US gets the gold, silver and bronze medals for Computer Science worldwide. China gets tin

>american website
There is no way this can be biased.

What counts as abstract algebra? Like examples of course titles or subjects

U got rekt m8

Well is there an accurate way to put all these schools on a balanced field without relying on results on a website?

>dipshit detected

Quick wikipedia search tells me that linear algebra counts as an abstract algebra. My (US) school gives us linalg as a half-semester course, but I'm in engineering, not compsci

The highest my high school goes in term of math is AP Calculus BC, and Discrete Math

Should have clarified, I meant university. Yours sounds like a high school, for which discrete math is actually pretty cool

My school offers it for CS Majors, but it isn't required for graduation. It appears to be more for Math majors...

Because if we teach them Abstract Algebra they will start asking questions about recursive programming, then LISP and then we have to pay real teachers.

Basically this. The more involved the material, the longer the curriculum and the more experienced the teacher needs to be. Instead of grad students and highly questionable 'instructors,' you need doctorates and professors. A longer curriculum also lowers throughput, fewer students churned around the bucket and made to pay semester fees in a given year. You would have to raise tuition and make entrance more difficult to provide a real university level education, both to pay the talent and give the entire system the needed space and time to educate every student.

I don't have experience with elite universities, but I can say the average college process is a worthless scam.

You don't need to know advanced math to be a java code monkey

i don't see any such requirement at cambridge. that's an okay school
could you give an example of how this would be broadly useful to them? i'm an algebraic geometer so i like this material but knowing, say, how to classify groups or order p^3 doesn't seem very useful for these students
of course it would be nice to expect more of them but that ship sailed years ago

since they all give content for free on the internet, as a yuropoor i can go to a great if not better school for almost nothing and still learn content from mit, berkeley and stanford.
I'll be much better educated than you burger and i can take a big loan to startup my companies instead of working 10ish years for someone else to pay my debts.

We get what we deserve. Only a very small number of people do any work beyond the bare minimum in their major during undergrad. Everyone is retarded and half the students who will graduate still write like they're twelve.

Just accept that most people can't even handle complicated courses because they barely manage to scrape by with the courses you are suicidally bored in.

>"science" degree
>not including calculus
Shiggy diggy

In reality it goes Russia>China>Europe>India>US.

There is very little chance of getting a good job if you studied in US, on the other hand dem Russians and Indians are getting headhunted from their home countries.

>noobuntu
lol babby how abut you use real system like arch

lol. i bet you're so autistic that you have to graph data structures, OP.

abstract algebra is a meme

Catalog dot MC dot edu
>eat a dick

>computer science without linear algebra
I don't believe you. Bad schools can get away without calculus but linear algebra is a must

>Schools in Asia are better

What retard told you this? Schools in Asia run rampant with cheating and shady business. European schools are pretty great though.