I just spent a shitload of money on my desktop and now I need to buy a laptop for uni. Chromebooks seem nice...

I just spent a shitload of money on my desktop and now I need to buy a laptop for uni. Chromebooks seem nice, cheap and minimalist, what does Cred Forums recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

pi-top.com/product/pi-top
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Thinkpad.

x201 thinkpad

>go to eBay
>set price range
>search for Latitudes and ThinkPads

I've been considering thinkpads too, but how stable is the ChromeOS? the dude at the shop said they had to recall their chromebooks because of complaints the operating system was shit

what do
>stable
and
>shit
mean to you?

Imagine turning on your computer and Chrome appears. That's ChromeOS. Although iirc soon if not already you can run Android apps, and I don't know if you still can but you used to be able to run actual Linux applications on it. Back when I had my Cr-48 and before it was possible to run anything but ChromeOS on one I was using Firefox as my browser for example.

fine by me desu, I already have an gaming desktop, I just want a lappy that'll look pretty and serve me well in uni and for Cred Forums

Rocking one rn in uni, totally!

And Elitebooks.
Yes, HPs consumer-laptops are utter garbage. Elitebooks are GOAT-tier though. Hard to believe they are made by the same company really.

Acer only
CB3 or C720

just buy a chromebook flip.

if you need to use word use word online
if you need to use excel use excel online
if you need to use powerpoint use powerpoint online
if you need to run a program try the school computers.

Learn how to hack into the linux of it, or not, your choice

If you're on a budget go for a refurbished/second-hand thinkpad, if you've got the money, dell xps 13.

thinkpad x1 carbon

Check Amazon for older laptop models that have been used as display models at computer stores.
Picked up an Asus k55vm (i7 3610qm and geforce 630m) for €480 a couple years back and it was going strong til i fucked up the motherboard.
Sure it wasn't an absolutely brilliant laptop and definitely not worth the €800-€900 it came out as but for under €500, it was an amazing deal.

FYI people at uni hate having to deal with poorfags without a macbook, hope you enjoy soloing every one of your group assignements

XPS 13, the official laptop of Cred Forums.
>inb4 applel shills and cum encrusted chinkpad autists

It's not that my man
the problem is that I don't have any fucking money.
:(

Go on eBay and find yourself an HP Elitebook 8560w/70w, 8760w/70w, Dell Precision M4600. These range from $200-$400 generally, and all three have an mxm-a or b slot in case you want to upgrade the laptop's GPU. Thinkpads are good too, but beware the lack of gpu power or ipgradeability of it.

Get an Asus E200HA.

$199
Atom x5
2GB RAM
32GB Storage + microSD expansion
13 hours battery life

It's fast enough to play Skyrim on Low and handles 10-15 tabs just fine in Chrome. Very decent for the price and the battery life is fucking godly. It does come with a fuckton of bloatware but nothing a quick reinstall of Win10 can't fix.

install gentoo on your chromebook

These guys know what's up. Get an x220, add in RAM, upgrade to SSD & an IPS display. With a new 6-cell battery, you can get around 5-6 hours. 9 hours with the bulky 9-cell

I see that the x230 is selling at about the same price as the x220 here. Haven't ever thought about an x series before but is it an upgrade or a downgrade, like so many other modern thinkpads?

The x230/t430 were the last proper Thinkpads. If you can get a good price on either I'd suggest you take it. Many will argue that the keyboard on the x220/t420 is better but it's all personal taste at the end of the day.. I got a refurbished x220 for around $230. My only complaint is the resolution (768) & battery life. X230 would be better in both aspects & is a solid purchase but I'd suggest you do your own research beforehand, of course

It's a tiny android laptop. I'd personally say you're better off getting something that runs Windows or Linux

Damn that is fucking sexy

Ignore all the suggestions for thinkmemes. A low powered lightweight laptop and high end desktop is the perfect combo. If you're walking around campus all day it will be a lot more convient to carry around a small 11-13 inch Chromebook with 9hr battery life then a heavy laptop with short battery life.

If you're planning on just using chrome.exe most of the time, you might as well get a chromebook.

> 5-6 hours
> acceptable

Which is why you get the 9-cell

>32GB Storage
Does Windows behave well enough so that it doesn't bloat that by itself?

You can get by. I went a year using Windows 8 on a 16GB SSD

The oly problem I have with chromebooks is you can't do anything else but botnet

not in the sense that you're deep in the botnet, obviously you knew that when you bought it. What I mean is you can't choose to do other things with your computer besides that, you're just basically a browser hooked up to google servers and that's it forever

got an asus chromebook for college in the exact same situation
I have not yet regretted my decision

Chromebooks are alright for the price and what they can accomplish, but that's not a lot.
You don't get any actual programs on it other than chrome and anything that has a webui.
Also Chromebooks usually come with a maximum of 32gb of storage which isn't really enough to use as a regular laptop (install Linux and use normally).
Thinkpads are nice, but the only ones worth buying have to be bought used and they are sort of heavy and the battery won't be phenomenal.
I would recommend checking out the Asus vivobook e403.
You could probably wait for it to go on sale and buy it for $350. It's also light as hell (3.3 lbs) and lasts for over 10 hours.

What is the Moto G of laptops? One you can buy new, of course, so not used ThinkPads

why do you need a "nigh end desktop"? Personally, I haven't owned one in years (maybe 6?)

I have a little Venue 8 Pro and a bluetooth keyboard/trackpad combo I pack around with me. 95% of the time I just RDP into my home desktop.

ignore the thinkpad losers

get a proper note/ultrabook

I don't understand why people keep recommending those ugly as fuck thinkpad laptops holy fuck.

>laptops are all about aesthetics

I've got a Chromebook and it's decent. You can flash a new BIOS in and replace the os completely or run Linux on top of ChromeOS. My only complaint is that it struggles to play 1080p content on YouTube and the like, I've got an Acer 11inch it's like a year or so old.

Nobody's going to try and steal a fugly thinkpad

>samefag?
if not
>they didn't fall for the thinkpad meme
come on now, the x series thinkpads are gorgeous... and have an amazing price for its power

pi-top.com/product/pi-top

This looks really cute, but I can't see many practical applications for a raspberry pi.
This probably wouldn't even be able to handle Facebook browsing/YouTube videos.

>associating with arts and humanities students

my only issue with thinkpads is the battery.
As someone said earlier, for a college laptop you need the battery to last at least 6 hours.

>for a college laptop you need the battery to last at least 6 hours.
Which many ThinkPads are capable of. Hell with some you get 3x+ that battery life

I have an HP Stream 14 with 32GB eMMC. The new anniversary update leaves 10 GB on the drive. I'm not confident future updates will even be possible on the internal drive. I don't know how or why these manufacturers think they can get away with pushing 16GB and 32GB on fucking Windows devices. Everything has to be installed on an SD card which significantly slows down performance.

It works for Chrome OS devices because, unlike Windows, its not meant to have shit loads of programs installed on it.

I fucking hate chinkpads, but they're better than these retarded new netbooks.

>Everything has to be installed on an SD card which significantly slows down performance.
Your laptop's main drive is essentially an internal SD card anyway

Yes, but the card readers are slower than standard HDDs. That internal SD card has significantly faster read/write speeds than the external one. SD cards are not good for running applications, and only really good for storing files.

Same here, got a T420s but that shit's too big and heavy to commute on public transport and stuff. Trying to find something lighter, an Asus C201 looks nice and it's really inexpensive.

Chromebook is good, great on battery and cheap. You can install Linux on the right models. The other option is looking on ebay at hp folio laptops. They're business model laptops and have great quality which u can get for cheap

no, but its 2016, the models should have been rehashed for a more modern look. They look like trash.

tru, can't see anyone wanting to lug it around tbqhwy

>implying there aren't more good looking women in the arts and humanities department

>no, but its 2016, the models should have been rehashed for a more modern look. They look like trash
I disagree wholeheartedly.

elaborate

What's there to elaborate on? You think they should update the look, I think they look fine

? ? ?
I'm getting 7-8hours of battery life easily out of my 9 cell battery, and the X230 also only comes in 768p resolution.

Like I said, new battery. Within a year mine went from 6 hours to just 3. And my bad on the resolution. I thought it was 900p, like the t4*0 models.

Thinkpad and then Install Gentoo

If you have a powerful desktop, just get a cheap laptop and use it to connect remotely to your desktop.

What OS are you running on your desktop?

Get Acer R 11 or the newly announced Acer R 13 when it comes out.

>sent from my Acer R 11 with Chrome OS

the only reason to buy a chrome book is to throw it in the garbage - lenovo is good, surface is you have money, macbook if you don't want to have to do anything ever... or even have the option

I have a question about your guys' laptops.

Does your laptop get hot? I'd like to find one that doesn't get uncomfortably warm when used for extended periods. In my experience, even if you place it on a cool surface that eventually heat starts emanating through the keyboard and you can feel it getting hot with your hands. That's how it's been with about every laptop I've ever worked with.

Ideapad 100s

>now I need to buy a laptop for uni.
Get a refurbished laptop off Amazon, there are Microsoft Authorised Resellers floating around.

They always get hot eventually, unless you're absolutely doing nothing.

Dunno about that, but it certainly holds up for engi/biz/med/law.

What a stupid fucking question. People actually do more than word processing and facecucking with their lives.

>minimalist

nice meme word for doesn't do shit