Hey Cred Forums im in the process of buying shit for my first build...

Hey Cred Forums im in the process of buying shit for my first build, i was going along happily planning on buying a 6gb 1060, then i decide to hop on here and see everyone saying the 480 is better. I like that the 480 has the opportunity to crossfire later, but really dont know which one to get. Advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

techspot.com/bestof/graphics-cards/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Apple iPhone 7 plus + 3GB 1060 is best.

if you want to buy another gpu within two years, get a 1060
if you want your gpu to last as much as it can, 480 it is

add
>no reference models
>make sure you get the card with the most vram, especially if you have a 1440p monitor

my advice is you fuck right back off to Cred Forums

Get a 1060 the 480 is a meme for 13 year olds who are convinced that going AMD is somehow showing those big corporations like Nvidia that constantly releasing the best products isn't enough.

If you're getting a budget card right now, you're not opting in for a longer lifespan anyway. So why trade current performance for hypothetical performance? Get the 1060 and then get a new card in a couple years when it's not enough and better options are less expensive.

AMD is better hardware wise but Nvidia has the advantage when it comes to DX11 games due to its driver support. If you want to play current games go for the 1060. If you have faith in upcoming games supporting Vulkan amd lower level APIs and want a more future proof card go for the 480. Also Nvidia has better capturing software.

Save more for the 1070.

I'm biased to Nvidia but from what I've seen, 1060 lacks performance compared to 480 when it comes to heavy tasks with multiple tasks.
480 is better at calculations while 1060 is better at rendering.
Both are needed for a completed graphical product, but they do it differently.
HP vs Torque
Some have low HP with high torque meaning it's a work house, some have low torque and high HP meaning it's fast.

Depending on games you play I'd suggest looking up those games and look for benches.

Because in games where the 480 might trash the 1060, the 1060 might dominate in another game.

But performance is king and if money isn't a problem, look for the card that have the lowest frame times and performance per card.

Currently the 1080 is the best all around card, but the price is the same as two 480 from where I live.
But two cards further raise the frame time so while you get higher FPS with two 480 in some games the stuttering will make it feel like way less.

Nvidia user since 2002, AMD user from 1997-2001.

Since you are a poorfag (otherwise you would just get a 1080) then it comes down to a few decisions. Do you own a Freesync or plan to own a Freesync monitor? Get the 480. If not then buy whichever is within your budget and what games you intend to play. If the 1060 is similarly priced get that. It will play most DX11 games well and only loses to the 480 on a few DX12/Vulkan titles (but not enough to worry about). True more DX12 games are coming out but you are gambling on the 480 performing better. If the 1060 is substantially more expensive and you want to save cash get either the 480 or 470 and overclock.

RX 480 is the best out of the two. If you want something high end then wait for Vega or just get a titan x right now.

Get a 480 the 1060 is a meme for 13 year olds who are convinced that going Nvidia is somehow showing those big corporations like AMD that constantly releasing the best products isn't enough.

>crossfire
waste of time for mid range chips. only idiots do this

get which ever is cheapest, they preform nearly identical in current games. the 480 does better if you like tweaking voltage, the 1060 "JUST works™"

It's just hilarious to see those faggots stomping on the ground like a child saying trying to say that GPU discussion don't belong in the technology board. Not only it does, but also those threads happen all day, every day on Cred Forums and will never stop. Like it or not, it's part of Cred Forums culture, you're just not part of it.

You're better off just begging moot's replacement for a /prog/ or /freetard/ or /codemonkey/ board and get the fuck out of the technology board, will be more productive for you.

I just sold my 1060 because I was bored of it and received a 480 today. I haven't had time to test it though, so this post is useless.

>asking amd central

don't ask on Cred Forums either as everyone there owns nvidia. find a simple upgrade guide and follow it as it will be relatively unbiased.

techspot actually made an article on this a few days ago and i think its pretty good.

techspot.com/bestof/graphics-cards/

>480 is better at calculations while 1060 is better at rendering
Are you retarded? Rendering IS calculations, you idiot. Everything a GPU does is calculations.

>Some have low HP with high torque meaning it's a work house, some have low torque and high HP meaning it's fast.
Look mom! I posted the car analogy again, the one that doesn't make any fucking sense!

Just so you don't leave this thread completely uninformed, AMD and Nvidia cards are about equally good at compute (as in how many TFLOPS they can output). Where AMD cards are better at is context switching, meaning they can process multiple threads more easily, while Nvidia cards have limited context switching and need to process compute tasks kind of serially (which is fine if you're doing just one task, like encoding a video, but bad if you're doing several, like applying post-process AA + multiple compute-based visual effects on a game).

Get the Saphire Nitro+ rx 480 8GB model. Make sure its the one with 1325MHz

>don't ask Cred Forums, they're all nvidia users!
>see this techspot article instead

>techspot article recommends nvidia

what about my cup holders faggot?

why are you so assblasted? because they recommended something using actual logic and reason instead of blatant fanboyism? neck yourself.

also OP, this is the exact reason why you shouldn't ask about any of this here. if you even mention nvidia you get shut down like you're some mass murderer or some shit. it's way, way to biased here. the same goes for Cred Forums as i mentioned before.

Thats because Nvidia is objectively, unbiasedly better.
You dont have to be a shill to know this, as much as AMD fans on Cred Forums like to say it