Why does nobody make a 100% free as in freedom laptop with reasonable specifications?

Why does nobody make a 100% free as in freedom laptop with reasonable specifications?

Other urls found in this thread:

minifree.org/
stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because Judaism can't make Jew gold off freedom.

They could still sell it with non-free software like Windows.
I'm only asking for libre firmware and libre drivers for all contained devices.

It's fucking expensive to do so.
If you were to spend 2000$ on a laptop, would you spend it on Dell XPS or whatever, or a "freedom" laptop that looks and performs like it's from literally 10 years ago?

see literally if you care so much about "muh freedoms" regarding software, just buy a fucking thinkpad and install gentoo. /saged

Gentoo is not endorsed by the FSF and for good reason. Even Gentoo's official live/rescue system contains non-free software.

The last ThinkPad that doesn't hate your freedom is 8 years old.

>It's fucking expensive to do so.
Literally all they need to change is
- libre BIOS/EFI
- disable Intel ME backdoor
- choose WiFi adapter with libre drivers (e.g. Atheros, cheap and easy)

>or a "freedom" laptop that looks and performs like it's from literally 10 years ago?
See >with reasonable specifications?
You're retarded m8

>The last ThinkPad that doesn't hate your freedom is 8 years old.
the last "real" Thinkpads are 8+ year old IBM Models. You can't even call Lenovo chinkpads a thinkpad at all, they're just Lenovo laptops with the thinkpad logo slapped on the side.

True Scotsman logical fallacy.

>disable Intel ME backdoor
As if, my dear goy

Are you implying that IBM still manufactures Thinkpads? Because they aren't highly regarded because they're thinkpads, they were highly regarded because IBM did a glorious job with them and everything Lenovo has done with the brand has been absolute garbage

>8+

Dude.
Even 2005 Thinkpads were made by Lenovo already.

Libreboot t400

Cost factor.

Big laptop manufacturers can do it easy and cheap because they don't have to be picky and they can mass produce.

>minifree.org/
There you go. Reasonable specifications? I doubt it, but you've already abandoned so much for "freedom", why look back?

>why can't a company make a product for a couple thousand people globally, to be from the ground up extremely different and very specific

Are freetards this dumb and underage?

Yes. That's exactly why they are freetards.

>- disable Intel ME backdoor
First you must recreate the entire microchip.

does anybody make a 100% free as in freedom desktop with any specification? Or server but with GPU support. Also free as in freedom GPUs.

Has anyone ever sold a 100% free apple?

Because there are no free processors that work at acceptable speeds. Let alone have the price/performance/heat production acceptable for a laptop.

Stallman is still using his T60 right? Get one of those and literally install Gentoo.

The 420 line was ok. It did go downhill from the start but it takes awhile to get started.

They can just open source and walk away. Hell they can just create a open source version and keep the default closed.

Still doesnt help the processor backdoor though.

I found an ARM board with an open source BIOS. It's not free, because the company only licenses it for use on their board, but it is good enough for me right now so I can do some BIOS hacking.

Stop looking at consumer products if you don't want industry shackles.

Yes
You can grow apples from the seeds I bought with apples
You can breed them the way you want
You are free to do all above!

There are a number of varieties of commercial fruit whose seeds are not viable.

No, what OP is talking about is hardware with no proprietary firmware whatsoever, MIPS processor most likely. Oh yeah OP, I just remembered. Get a Lemote Yeeloong. Its the only totally FSF approved laptop used by Stallman himself. If you ever see pictures of him using that white laptop, its that.

No idea what company makes this thing, obviously some turbo chink shit. Its probably about as powerful as a PS2.

stallman.org/stallman-computing.html

>I use a Thinkpad X60 computer, in which the FSF installed a free initialization program (libreboot) and a free operating system (Trisquel GNU/Linux.) This is the first computer model ever to be sold commercially with a free initialization program and a free operating system, and thus the first computer product the FSF could endorse. (It was not sold that way by Lenovo, however.)

>Before that, I used the Lemote Yeeloong for several years. At the time, it was the only laptop one could buy that could run a free initialization program and a free operating system. But it was never sold with a free operating system.

this. freedom isn't free, it costs a buck o' five.

what about the librem

>tfw can't find a Lemote Yeeloong anywhere
I'm not even a freetard, I just want a MIPS laptop

why doesn't the make it free as in free beer? i want a free laptop

this is why we cant have nice things
if you keep buing proprietary shit, they will keep selling proprietary shit

It takes a special kind of lonely autist to want to put in the work to replace all of the firmware in a laptop with open source binaries.

Nobody uses it and then the autist either loses interest or succumbs to his(her?lol) mental illness and is no longer to maintain it.

doesn't have a clitmouse and battery is integrated

The same reason we have laptop/desktop processors.

>you'll never get a portable workstation-top with a grid of speedy as fuck FPGAs to do your AI research on

Why even live?

You'll never hack the gibson at this rate. Give up.