Im 26 and need a career in infosec. What is a good certification I should start with...

Im 26 and need a career in infosec. What is a good certification I should start with? I think A+ is a waste of time and money

Gentoo is a good one

All but please stay away from CICSO certs. Because of the hack that happened some weeks/months ago the certs have really no more value. Cisco = cancer.

I assume OffSec is good

I have no idea though friend

OSCP masterrace

I thought CCNA was the most important cert around

Bump

OSCP > All

Play with power.

Enlisting is your best bet OP, unless you have previous experience

Very false.

>information security
>A+

You might want to stay out of IT all together, you seem to not be able to grasp basic concepts.

>falling for the 17C meme

I don't think there's a certification in mowing grass.

Someone enlighten me on that whole infosec business. Do people actually get paid for using BackTrack and the tools in it to evaluate/test some system? Is there more to it?

No, that's it user. When can you start?

Most pen testing people just use kali linux live usb with metasploit , that's all they do as their jobs

I'll pass, infosec is too hard for me :)

I've started studying for CISSP. How fucked am I?

>Do people actually get paid for using BackTrack and the tools in it to evaluate/test some system? Is there more to it?

Most of the average REAL infosec work out there involves tedious bullshit like auditing user accounts access levels to different shit to make sure HIPPAA or SarbOx or whatever else isnt being violated and then signing off on it so that if theres an audit and your org fails the audit, you get to fall on your sword. God I hate it.

People think infosec is all hacking and red teams and pentesting and shit. The reality is that infosec is just as much bullshit as any other IT job. It sucks.

SOURCE: Been working in infosec since 2003.

Yeah but you get paid $$$$$$$

Thanks for the insight, now I'll know what is waiting for me if I'll ever end up in this business.

> A+
> Info sec

Whew lad

I know it has nothing to do with infosec. I can pass the A+ if I want but I don't want to spend money on something that is as pointless as it. I would rather do Security + if anything.

Have you even read what the A+ entails? It's hardware troubleshooting and printers it is really horrible and irrelevant. Use your brain.

certifications are a waste of money, if you're interested in it just do it

IT certs are useless.

Do your own projects where you use and showcase shit you have learned. Link to your projects on application, offer to show them live on interview and describe them in detail.

Echoing The fact that you would even consider A+ for information security is silly.

oH MY

True. I guess some are content working at best buy. Take some cisco courses. If you are in the top portion of your class, cisco will find you a job. But you gotta be up near or at the top.

>How can you protect (Or exploit) something you don't understand?

You don't start at infosec without being at least fairly proficient at some aspect of IT. Usually it can be generalized into 3 categories.

Networking - Dealing with routers and routing protocols, Switching, network architecture

Systems - Servers, their services, and configuration.

Software devel - Programming/Scripting

So unless you're already fairly experienced in one or more of these fields then I suggest you start there first.

>IT certs are useless.
Not to mention most of them require re certification. Never ending clusterfuck. Get your foot in the door somewhere. Experience is what you need more than some nerdy piece of paper.

This

>Because of the hack that happened
Everybody is getting hacked. Not unique to cisco.