So. What text editors do you Cred Forumsuys use ?

so. What text editors do you Cred Forumsuys use ?

Vim or gedit

Kate

Visual Studio

Emacs, mg for quick edits.

vim

Emacs.

honestly in my opinion all the other text editors look to complex and confusing or to boring . Sublime text however looks good and basic at the same time (just the way i like it)

Sublime text 2

Vim

i use nano and gedit

Emacs. Learning vim because I may have to use it sometimes. Still like emacs better.

Sublime, it auto completes pretty much everything.

windows notepad

I never heard of mg.

Vim

But damn if I don't forget indentation settings every day

Atom

Atom on Windows
Atom and Mousepad on Manjaro

sublime text 2 master race

bluefish or QtCreator

vim or Emacs are the only correct answers.

nano is acceptable if you're a young Ubuntard, but when you grow up you should choose a side

Notepad++ if you're a disgusting windows pleb

Sublime Text if you're a hipster faggot.

An IDE if you Java very much sir

Vim > Emacs > Brackets > Atom > Gedit > Sublime > Notepad++ > Notepad > * > VSCode

Anything made by MS is guaranteed to be a flaming pile of shit. Just look at Visual Studio.

>Atom is better than sublime
Atom is bloated web trash. I don't like or use sublime, but if you are going by efficiency and features sublime is better.

>other editors look boring and complicated

Nano for a super quick edit, emacs for anything else.

>56746781
i said they loo to complex and confusing OR (on the other hand) to boring

you

dumb nigger

intelliJ, pyCharm, and occasionally vi for devops.

# use best text editor
export EDITOR="vim"

But senpai, freedom is important.

It depends.
I use kate on my laptop but vim when I am inside a terminal anyway or working over ssh.
For c++, I use qtcreator.
For latex, I use kile.

Sublime.

on linux laptop
vim for 1 line edits
kate for simple scripts

on windows desktop
notepad++ for edits and light scripts
codeblocks for bigger stuff

Notepad++ 64 bit, just released yesterday iirc, upgraded from the 32 bit version just because I can.

Freedom is important desu. But the whole point of using a text editor is to avoid the bloat of an IDE.

>nano is acceptable if you're a young Ubuntard, but when you grow up you should choose a side

just out of curiosity... why would nano acceptable?
I used it once or twice and it is fine if all you do is open config files as root and then paste a configuration in there.
It is notepad tier bad.
I can find more situations for ed than nano.

>form is more important than function
Yeah, I'm such a dumb nigger

I use vim + plugins + unix tools as an IDE.

It's the fastest IDE I've ever used.

sublime

sometimes emacs

I have often switched an IDE out for an editor so I can have more features.
A lot of IDE's are based on eclipse, so I guess that is why they are unusable as editors.

I use gedit now that I've switched to Linux, but I miss the auto completion from notepad++.
Is there any valid reason to switch to something like vim over gedit?

Is it worth it?
It seems like a lot of work for very little payoff

It will take you a while (a month or 2 of regular usage) for you to be efficient with it. If you are just messing with config files and not doing any programming it is probably not worth it.

Is it significantly faster than gedit though?

What do you mean by faster? The program itself or your workflow.

The speed you get stuff done will decrease until you know the commands.

The programs should be practically the same in terms of real-world efficiency.

nano and leafpad

It's not a lot of work though. And the payoff is huge to me because Vim is the most versatile piece of software I've ever used. All my projects are hosted remotely in Linux containers that I SSH into so it's nice having an editor I can use over SSH. Learning to use Vim was the best thing I ever did for my self as a programmer (I've used lots of IDEs and editors but I kept coming back to vim). Lot's of GUI editors just don't perform as well. It's definitely worth the time I spent to configure it which I estimate to be a total of maybe eight hours off and on over the course of a few months. Plus I keep vim in a container so it's portable. I never need to set it up the way I want it again.

I code for a living so having an editor that I can customize to fit my needs exactly is nice too.

haters gonna hate

(btw I literally am autistic)

I always use variables to store work directories.
That way I can autocomplete into subdirs if I have to.