What made you switch to Linux or why did you switch to Linux?

What made you switch to Linux or why did you switch to Linux?
What to what distro did you switch to?

I wanted to play with power.

remote access for simple tasks was more convenient on *nix than windows
setup for certain services was more convenient on *nix than windows
interface customization was generally more convenient on *nix than windows
development environment was generally more convenient on *nix than windows
never actually switched though, limiting yourself to a single platform is retarded

Started on ubuntu, used Mint for a while then tried debian but it sucked, went back to Ubuntu for a really long time and now I use Fedora with GNOME 3.

I used Windows for decades and when windows 7 came out I tried to upgrade my laptop solely for the cool transparent window effect. It was all I cared about. When I installed 7 it said my laptop wasn't capable of handling transparency and it ran like shit.

A family member told me to install Ubuntu and I've never fallen for the Windows meme ever since. Also transparency and a whole bunch of other cool shit worked out of the box in ubuntu.

Linux had better support for my hardware than Windows.

>having principals makes you retarded

It intrigued me
I started out with Arch before switching to Puppy soon after, then ran Slax here and there before switching to Ubuntu, then I distrohopped when Ubuntu went to shit, found out OS X doesn't suck, used OS X for a few years, and am now using OS X on my desktop, OpenBSD on my laptop, and Debian on my SBC.

solely choosing your tools based on ethical idealism is a little close-minded, yes

I switched to Gnu/Linux a couple of years ago when I wanted to try something different. I downloaded Ubuntu 14.04 and started playing with it, it found myself extremely comfortable with it. I then switched to Debian, and from then there were no come back. Do I regret something? Absolutately no.

That's not what I said though.

I didn't because I have no reason to.

then what did you say? that post sounded like either you're gimping yourself in the name of "freedom" (like escaping from proprietary licensing somehow insulates you from the global corporate hegemony or expansive surveillance states) or in the name of some tryhard *nix-elitism

It was recommended as an alternative to windows. I installed Ubuntu to try it out because why not. It worked great but it was weird looking. I gave up on it eventually because it was just too much of a change. Windows always had issues and kept breaking and not working properly, Linux doesn't so I always choose it as a main OS. Now I don't use Windows at all. I still like trying out other distros just to see how much progress they've made and how ready they are for normie use.

I said I take my principles into account, not that I base everything off my principles.

It has no gaymez, who the fuck would use that garbage except for mentally retarded animee pedophiles?

and here we observe your typical closed-minded winfag

fuck off to Cred Forums and never come back

>Buy a 10/10 Thinkpad
>No OS installed
>Install Windows 8.1
>Hardly any drivers found
>Checking for updates....
>4 hours later

>Built a new desktop
>Didn't want to pay $$$ for Windows
>Installed Ubuntu just to try it out
>Works and isn't that difficult to grok
Didn't play games to begin with so the transition was easy.

it was about 11 years ago, I installed ubuntu linux, which was starting to get popular at the time, on my spare hard disk. after a month I was using ubuntu almost all the time and hardly ever using windows anymore.

oh, I forgot to add, I'm using debian today, which I've used since 2008.

For some reason, it felt liberating to use Linux over Windows. It was tough at first but now I'm never going back.

>used macbook from 06-09 when they were still good
>missed that beautiful look of tiger by 2010
>windows xp was a bag of cocks
>try to rice with wangblows blinds
>it's total ass
>discover unbuntu gnome in late 2011
>use tutorial to rice
>looks exactly like mac os
>start digging deeper
>customize grub
>play with run levels
>feels 1337 man
>2013 I need moar
>try debain
>still use debian today
>just werks

Sick of XP bs
Stumbled across 8.04, installed it and was impressed.
Tried PCOS & Mint for a while, then headed back to 10.04 and stayed there until 12.04.
Will upgrade when I have to.

Windows 10. It was the last absurdity I needed to tell Microsoft to go fuck itself.

windows 8
distrohop until arch

I'll tell you why I went back to Windows - getting linsucks it's a novelty that wears off quickly, it's just the matter off enjoying a slightly different ui for a while, and then realising everything takes effort to get to work. Fuck that I'm enjoying my w10.

Inb4 butthurt l33t haxxors

Help I guess. I'm using Fedora through a VM. When I double-click Fedora, I have to scroll down a couple times to select my virtual hard drive installation. I already removed the virtual disk.

Oh, I want to delete the first two selections

virtue signal intensifies!

>What made you switch to Linux or why did you switch to Linux?
Not by choice.

I'm a student and live in a residence. Some nigger stole my rMBP and I couldn't afford a new one right now. So I picked up a PC for $200 and first tried Win10 (utter fucking shit) and then tried Linux and managed to set it up so it's not as vomit-inducing as most OOTB Linuxes are. Managed to setup all my command line shit just like under OSX. All my scripts more or less worked as well.

I'm pretty happy now. It's comfy.

But I still need a laptop.....

My first experience with Linux was when I was in high school and I wanted to use the school laptops and get around the filter at home.

Eventually i stole one (well sorta. I was out of high school and somebody else graduated and said they aren't caring if they gave them away since they had new shiny chromebooks) so I took this Dell Latitude and used it as a work PC with xubuntu.

And now I use it on all my systems because it's easy to do what I want, it's easy to make look nice, and I like the options it provides to me. I can dual boot now for vidya and solidworks. Arch just werks on my laptop.

Seriously fuck Microsoft how do you fuck up this hard.

I use various Linux distributions for work related reasons and I could never use it for personal use. Ever. Linux is fucking awful.

That's the common assessment for people who couldn't survive the learning curve. Many comment on the sense that once you are familiar with Linux it's actually a lot more "user friendly" meaning let's you do whatever you want quickly and easily. After all these years windows gives me a small feeling of depression and angst when I have to use it. I'm surprised people put up with windows 8 and 10 at all. But then again, examples of Mac users getting boned continuously and engendering a sense of cultish denial over their now thoroughly prolapsed anuses again and again makes me rather cynical about the general population's assessment of what a good kernel or operating system entails. I blame society.

>What made you switch to Linux or why did you switch to Linux?

Win98 was easy to reload but way too unstable. NT was much better but still not great.

>What to what distro did you switch to?

Corel Linux then Mandrake with the usual distro hopping. Ran CentOS for a few years, run Xubuntu now.

After a while you stop caring much about distros. Linux is stable, easy to work with, has great online tech support and is pleasantly malware-resistant.

I run Windows for some progs like AutoCAD, but my main PCs are Linux and most of my Windows installs are in VMs.

I don't believe in restricting myself to one OS. It's easy to keep up with multiple, different installs and helpful if you want to stay proficient.

>After all these years windows gives me a small feeling of depression and angst when I have to use it.

Megadittos!

Used Linux in the past. Maybe I've just gotten lazy using Windows. Linux is just too much fucking work. Sorta takes the fun out of computing. Reminds me of a high maintenance GF.

a friend of mine who was in engineering showed Ubuntu 10.04 to me and I was enthralled by sexy wobbly windows were and how convenient it was to be able to solve all my problems with bash. also better security, more freedom, and free shit that nerds had audited in their spare time.
>also I wanted to rid myself of the vidya jew
Tried Mint out, was shit. Kubuntu was meh. When I tried to install Debian my laptop sperged so I turned 360° and walked away. Ubuntu serves my purposes just fine and so far is the most aesthetically pleasing one I've encountered. I hate how much fucking ram it uses though, wish there was something lightweight that kept Unity's aesthetics (transparent notification blobs, transparent search menu, dark, etc)

>l33t haxxors
Sure, pal, you can blame it on society, or in me unable to survive the learning curve, but there's nothing wrong with using something that is mainstream and works. I may have agreed with you circa 2014 when my w7 got fucked, and after reinstall all my drivers went to shit and nothing worked, so I used Linux which, to my surprise, worked out of the box. Fast forward a month and I got fed up with not being able to run some of my more obscure editing programs (images, level editors, music) and retroware.
It's a matter of taste, in the end. Each to his own.

This.

>stop questioning your questions

Oh yes. Gotta love all that brown and orange. Gag reflex activated.

vista was shit

Sun sold out. But just kidding, I moved to OS X.

fuck gnu.

At first, because I wanted to learn more about computers, and because Windows XP had issues.

Now, I use it on a daily basis because Windows can't do what I want. I run multiple household services with lxc, multiple VMs with kvm, passthrough a GPU to a Windows VM for gaymes, without the prohibitive licensing costs of Windows Server.

Nowadays, my skillset is used to funnel sheckles into my pockets. :^)

I experimented with Ubuntu on a laptop for a few months. I went back to Windows for a while, then I tried Windows 8. That made me switch for good.

I started dual booting linux mainly just as a hobby. Somehow I got accustomed to it and spend most of my time on my linux partition.

I'm still playing around with Ubuntu, but debating about getting into Debian or Arch. wat do anons?