Is modern software bloated? 20 years, and people use computers for the same: internet and office programs

Is modern software bloated? 20 years, and people use computers for the same: internet and office programs.
But why did they grow in enourmous sizes?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AbiWord
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why are weaboos so autistic?

You would have to be to worship and masturbate to anime

Because consumer shit sells good because people want more performance

There will be a limit someday though

combination of lazy programmers and more features

20 years ago web pages were 10's of kB of static content without any silly JS or CSS slowing shit down

office programs have fancier interfaces and more templates and shit, along with lazier programming
that said, you can still use say, MS office '97 for anything the average person needs (of course, the main reason why you /can't/ is because it can't open files made in later versions, so you're forced to upgrade because of others)

What features one would be missing, if he switches to MS Office 97?

Lightweight software still exists.

Consider AbiWord instead of Microsoft Word.
It's usable on a Raspberry Pi.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AbiWord

Claws Mail instead of Outlook or Thunderbird
Very lean but powerful mail client, written in C
I used Claws on a P3 with 450 MHz, 512 MB RAM and it's very usable, even with thousands of mails.

You just have to look.
Lean software still exists, mostly in FOSS.

i don't do anything professional shit in office programs
i actually did use office '97 in college (around 2004), it was fine there because i didn't need to open existing documents, only create new ones, which newer versions could open

currently i use libreoffice, it does what i need it to do

i couldn't name features off, as i don't even really know what office 97 doesn't have (outside of document format support)

i help in an NGO, the computers there are donated and the newest one is a pentium II 133mhz, 32mb ram with 98SE, obviously it has Office '97.
Fun enough we can do everything as the laser printer also work there thru a Parallel PCI card (an HP 6L from 1997, probably cockroaches will die out before that printer does) and every single note needed comes from there as it has all the fonts, sizes and features you need for it. So no, even for today simple text input/print work Word '97 is more than enough. Hell, i can say the same for Excel as for simple inventory control (mostly donation dates, ammounts, potential expiration dates, etc.) pivot tables just work fine for a simple stock database.

And the sweetest thing, appart from that classic UI, is that the ram use never went over 16mb, even with clippy going crazy.

>P2 133
i don't think there is a P2 133, probably meant 233

32M ram is a bit low for 98SE, might run nicer with 95B/C, unless you run something that needs 98/SE

yeah, missed that, it wasn't II but an S, i think it's a P5. While 32mb is indeed low (i would've gone with W95), it doesn't lag much using office and solitaire, and as that computer was always offline (i suspect, as it was a compaq prebuild and don't have a modem/network card), it's practically a clean install (space used on disk checks too). Still slow as fuck to boot, but i can't help to love those sounds it make.

Also it's great there, no one want to even steal it as it screams OLD (old mini tower beige case, the monitor is a "low radiation" 14" crt) and no facebook, twitter or blogshit is possible so it scare normalfags like the plague.

>P5 133
ugh, yea, definitely would put 95 on that myself
pretty low spec for 98SE

>i don't do anything professional shit in office programs
Nobody should because LaTeX exists.

Why does it matter if Modern Software is bloated?

Do you really want all of your powerful hardware and components you purchased to go to waste? I say, software should continue the kitchen-sink approach and try to become as bloated as possible. Running last gen's "bloated software" at top speed and without lag is a riveting experience

Some day, all the laggy flash apps that you see today that lag everything, will be run as quick as emulating old video game consoles, as in you can run it so fast that you have to limit the speed to 10% of what it would otherwise be

Of course it is.
It's a consequence of both capitalism and modern liberalism.

Decades ago, software was written by Aryan men in C and Assembly who knew how to manually manage memory, and thus nothing was much bigger than it needed to be.

Today's software is increasingly written by non-whites (for outsourcing reasons) and women (for political reasons) in cross-compiled frameworks on top of VMs on top of whatever other abstraction you can imagine.

When Moore's Law finally bites the dust and we reach the absolute maximum number of transistors possible to cram onto silicon, then actually knowing how to write software will come back into demand.

>Do you really want all of your powerful hardware and components you purchased to go to waste?
It is going to waste if so many shitty programs clog up the hardware in the first place. Powerful hardware is meant for video gaming, 3d rendering, processing and other high end shit.

You shouldn't need a bombastic rig just to read fucking facebook or type up a CV.

I wouldn't call it all "bloat" - more like modern overhead.

These days your typical program uses more data to store code - in some cases the entire program needs to have multiple binaries (i.e. for the 32bit and 64bit version). Image data has also increased by an exponential magnitude due to higher bit depths and resolutions.

You've also got localization to factor in. Before the turn of the century it was pretty rare for stuff to even support unicode which can easily double or tripple the size of data required to store text. Your typical app these days is far more likely to include support for displaying menus and docs and such in multiple languages.

APIs also have a lot more baggage due to needing to support so much more shit and to make development easier.

UTF-8 is actually backwards compatible with ASCII
english text which only uses ASCII symbols is literally unchanged

adding more languages, sure, but we're talking a couple hundred k at most for anything but role-playing games, and only in storage, since in nearly all cases only one language is actually loaded into memory at a time

because human beings needlessly complicate their lives. to do otherwise would be an attack on the idea that 'things' hold value, which is unacceptable to most people.

most programs even now have seperate releases for 32 and 64bit, just like back in the day with 16 and 32bit releases (rather, dos, 3.1 and 95+ releases)
images (including textures), videos and music (including voice and sfx) make up a large amount of the space used by programs which rely on them heavily, such as games

not everybody here is a gamer retard
in fact most people who aren't virgins don't purchase "powerful hardware." They neither want nor need power; they look for reliability
so yes it's important that your code doesn't run like ass.

The computer that sees the most use from me has 1GB of RAM and an intel atom processor. I run Open BSD on it, so everything is fine. But imagine if I weren't technologically literate; I'd have to waste money on more hardware for no reason because it would be considered "outdated" for handling normie OSes/programs and even certain websites.

The "durr just throw more hardware at it" argument is wasteful, environmentally-harmful, and thoroughly-jewish

>i waste my money in order to run things that waste the resources i wasted money on

Typical fatmerican goyim

Compatibility with the rest of the world. Plenty of features and functions in Excel and PowerPoint. It's not like you need them in your basement, but the rest of the world that makes money does.

>I run Open BSD on it
user without wireless drivers, is that you?

>most programs even now have seperate releases for 32 and 64bit
How long till 32-bit will die?
Or 32-bit CPU are cheap so they'll be used for a long time?

They also do a lot more.