What's objectively the best language and why is it Python?

What's objectively the best language and why is it Python?

Other urls found in this thread:

harmful.cat-v.org/software/c /
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Assembly and/or machine code.

Because literally all languages need them to run on modern computers and hardware.

Which version of assembly and/or machine code? You know that "assembly" isn't one language right?

Python is objectively shit
Its only merit is that it allows to do something without thinking about it

Rust is objectively the best language.
Python is objectively in the top 10 worst non-esoterics.

It's nihongo.

>What's objectively the best
Lisp because anything you can do in any other language you can easily do in Lisp, but its not always true the other way around. Except for assembly language...although there is a such thing as a Lisp machine.

>why is it Python?
because of dynamic typing, right?

it is one of most productive languages
prove me wrong

C++
Very intuitive, very powerful

It's Ruby, but python is fun.

>>Very intuitive.
>>Falling for this meem.

Ruby is probably more productive in terms of getting a prototype up and running in the least amount of time.

It's not objectively shit, it's just shit for certain things. Like writing software.

It's fine as a once-off type of shell script replacement.

>cpp intuitive
This is the language in which you spend more time thinking how to write than actually designing your program.

>>C++ Intuitive.
I love having arguments with my compiler.

there's no objective "best" language and you're a fucking retard for thinking one exists

Still in undergrad?

>intuitive

What aspect do you find not intuitive?

Name one language that's better than rust for any kind of software of your choice.

English

Pretty sure Java is better at writing software that runs on a JVM.

Java is superior.

I'll name two, D and Crystal.

Haskell with turtle package is way better than python for shell-replacement scripts. Lazy lists mean you never have to deal with half-assed stream interfaces. It can be interpreted, or compiled into an executable that anyone can run (unlike python files).

Also, compiler warnings whenever you tell it to do something you didn't intend is really nice, since unit-testing run-once scripts with side effects on system settings isn't really practical.

My fucking sides!

That's not a kind of software, though.

Are you a pajeet?

You exactly what I meant.

I was referring to them in general.
I'm not just going to sit here and enumerate the types of assembly and machine code i'd literally would starve before finishing.

Why use Ruby over Node.js?

It's Lua because it has a cute name and a cool logo, which are the only important things in a programming language

rust is cool. but to imply that it (or any language) is the best choice for EVERY type of software is completely asinine and you should know that. there will always be tradeoffs

Then what type of software is best made with a language that isn't rust? I'm still waiting.

actually i'm genuinely interested in why you think rust is the best language. please explain.

No runtime, within 10% of C in terms of both size and speed (sometimes faster than C++, such as leaf v.s. caffe, and some parsing libs), no chance of memory-related bugs by design, static typing and no manual memory management - at the same time, no runtime memory collection nor leaks. Purity is the default behavior, lisp-like macros, compiler extensions, tons of ML constructs.

Point is, I honestly cannot think of a type of software that it can't do with less effort and more correctness than its would-be direct competitors for that type of software (noting that scripts, mathematical proofs, statistical models, etc. are not software).

Depends on on your goals, if you want to work on a project yourself, or get hired for your skills, or be the project manager and define what language your workers should code with, also if you want to develop Desktop Programs, Mobile Applications, or Websites

if you want job opportunities, then you should focus on the popular languages

Java, C++, C# for Desktop
Java, Swift, Objetive C for Mobile
Javscript(Node.js), Python, Ruby for Web development

Then again, the most important skill a programmer can improve is his problem solving mentality

at the office I work our Lead programmer, while he does have deep understanding of the languages we work with (C++, Java, Javascript and Python), he doesn't usually code himself, but reads existing code and solves problems and makes processes more efficient through a mix of pseudocode and flowcharts, which our programmers then translate into working code

from what i've read and heard i'm inclined to believe you for the most part, seeing as i'm not proficient enough in the language to effectively debate.

but i know for a fact that the ecosystem is not as well developed as those of other languages. there's no domain of software where Rust has the best library support. you could argue that this isn't a problem with the language itself and while it may not be, it definitely affects practicality which i would say needs to be considered when you talk about a best language.

>you could argue that this isn't a problem with the language itself
Yes, that's what I'm arguing in this comparison.
I disagree that you need to consider libraries when talking about best language, but you do have to talk about them when talking about most SUITABLE language. That's where the line should be drawn in my opinion.

>That's where the line should be drawn in my opinion.
yea i'd say that's a fair distinction. i guess my conception of best was more overarching. maybe it's time to play with rust. are you working on anything with it right now ?

I made an anonymous forum without image hosting (images get loaded client-side by pre-rendered markdown). Only part not done yet are the admin pages, and adding a captcha-like challenge (I'm actually considering methods to automatically detect common expressions unique to a specific board and have users complete the sentence as a way to also encourage people to lurk before posting).

I also started making a videogame, but I stopped programming altogether for a while to adapt to my new job.

She looked alot cuter with the shirt on

I don't even like Ruby, but it's more stable than Meme.js. npm is a disaster.

Python is a great scripting language,
and Go is a fantastic application language.

Python is best, at least as a first language.

My sides! It's true what they say, tripfags are born in the trash, where they belong forever.

harmful.cat-v.org/software/c /

Exactly

I feel like people who dislike C++ usually don't understand it very well.

There's a few things that are a bit weird, but there's always a good reason for it.

It's got just the right amount of basic features without giving you things that you don't need.

If you are spending hours trying to figure out how to get your C++ code to compile then you're probably not very good at C++.

If you spend hours thinking of a C++ design then I have to wonder what you do in other languages. It is possible to implement the exact same designs in C++ and Python.

You can make stuff quicker in Python because it has more built-ins, but the fundamental design of the program could be the same as in C++, so I don't see where that criticism comes from.

If you're going to have a large project then the type system of a language like C++ is very useful.

Far easier to mock-up with Ruby than JS/Node or Python/Flask due to that being really the purpose for its existence.

I personally work with C# backend now all the time but whenever we prototype shit its always done in Ruby because we can have a functional demo within a few weeks where it would take months with anything else.

what a nasty fat whore.

newfags can't handle the beauty of c++