So does pulling a USB stick out of your computer without ejecting it properly actually harm anything?

So does pulling a USB stick out of your computer without ejecting it properly actually harm anything?

It could, this depends on the filesystem.

If it was in the middle of a write operation it could cause corruption

Every time you non-safely remove a USB storage device from a computer Bill Gates prematurely ejaculates onto his Steve Jobs shrine.

Windows by default syncs all writes to flash drives, so if you don't have any current operations it's mostly fine.

Linux mounts async by default, which dramatically increases perceived speed but really does require umount or at least a sync before ejecting.

If you do that on android it will leave a readonly flag in the device and if you don't know how to make it writeable again you just have to reformat it.

I love it, it teaches normies how to handle usb storage devices.

Not on modern Windows by default.

Would only the file being transferred become corrupt? Would the corrupt file be on the USB stick, the PC, or both?

your swap space I guess in some cases

Again, it depends on the filesystem and the operation being performed. You could probably just plug it right back in and be okay most of the time

That answers exactly 0% of the question. Thanks.

The only side effect I've noticed is that on Windows 7 and newer, when plugging it in, sometimes it will prompt you to "scan and fix" (read: send data to M$ servers).

i have a laptop which i can't extend the diskdrive (emmc) and i'm not able to use the wifi slot to connect an ssd

i would like to install a usb stick inside on an unused usb lines from the mainboard
do you think it would be reliable?
some usb sticks show as an internal disk and not as removable, is it better to use this?

What? I use USB OTG on my Android phone every day and never safely eject it. Never had a problem.

The reason it tells you to 'safety eject' the hardware is so it can flush any data to disk, that means any data waiting to be written to the disk that's waiting in cache. It's used for performance reasons.

I think most USB drives have such cache disabled these days though to prevent such problems.

I do that shit all the time on Windows, OSX, and Linux.

upboat

I did thins once in college, and lost an entire midterm paper.

>can and fix" (read: send data to M$ servers).

Are you retarded?

>I think most USB drives have such cache disabled these days though to prevent such problems.

This. On Windows if you check it in the device manager you will notice that they always have it disabled by default, and also a warning that if you enable it you can fuck up stuff if you don't remove it properly.

Weird. I observed that once on Android-x86 5.0.1 running on a netbook. I unmount all devices before I unplug them now.

Might have been a weird device, I'll have to check it again.

I've seen someone's MP3 player stop working as soon as they did that. This was in 2008.

Android x86 is some pajeet basement shit project, there's countless things wrong with it.

Really? What, aside from possibly USB handling, is wrong with it?

I have sd card in my phone and never unmounted just use sim tool and it opens up

Wellcome to Cred Forums

>using utorrent

Absolutely Disgusting.

Be more specific then. What filesystem, OS and what are you doing when you eject

Had problems with FAT32 formatted pendrives in the past by not safely ejecting them, lost the partitions in the drives and had to reformat it.

Didn't want to try it with NTFS.

>I think most USB drives have such cache disabled these days though to prevent such problems.
The fuck? This is controlled by the OS, not the drive.

Yeah!! Why isn't he using stalledtorrent like us supreme gentlemen xDDD

It fucks my files if I don't wait for sync.

It doesn't matter much if you're on Windows or Mac, unless you pull it while data is being written on it. Linux however likes to pretend this is the worst thing you can do. Expect it to act like your drive is "busy", then crash your kernel and print out a hand flipping you off in the CLI next time you manage to boot by launching it at run level 3.

the risk would be high

>13/06/2011

>I use linux
>But dont know how to check for open files and how to close them to properly unmount a file system
>wtf is lsof
Cred Forums in a nutshell, a bunch of retards shilling an OS they cant use

The filesystem itself could get corrupted.

top kek

>drive is busy
>ugh what are lsof
>let just force remove the kernel module
>oh it crashed, guess "force" is called that for a reason, huh?