Microsoft is moving to a new patching release model

>Microsoft is moving to a new patching release model
>In the future, patches will be bundled together and users will no longer be able to pick and choose which updates to install

I want some control over what I install on my machine.
How does Cred Forums feel about this?

Linux does not have this problem.

i don't care about not having control over what's installed. The bigger issue is that youll have to download a huge file every month containing all previous updates.

That sounds like a huge waste

install gentoo

>i don't care about not having control

Is this the future of our society?

I haven't even had the anniversary update pushed out to me yet. I manually installed it on my laptop but I am waiting for them to push it on my desktop.

sounds pretty typical from microsoft.

It could be smarter than that and bundle all the updates you're missing together when it does the update. Just doesn't show them individually to allow you to separate them.

Honestly, this is like watching people standing in the rain wondering why they're getting wet. I can't get upset about every single drop that lands on them anymore, because they're not going to go inside no matter what I tell them.

so in other words, the only change from how it works now would be that the user can't see the individual items.
so it's all about hiding things from the user and not to improve ease of package streaming or something like that.

All under the cover of being concerned at how many updates aren't being pushed that address vulnerabilities.

Couple questions

1)

2)

Thanks

>1)
Yes.
>2)
Definitely not.

I hope that clears things up.

PC video games have been fucking shit for a while now anyways, I'm just going to run Linux on my desktop.

It's a toy OS, so it doesn't matter.

I would have swapped to Linux full time if I could have figured out how to get Skyrim running with mods.

I bet you can find the answer in under 10 secs just by googling this simple question

You answered yes to question 1? The fuck? Citation required because I call bullshit on that.

I don't care.
Install Gentoo.

Doubt it. Any source? I didn't think so.

I can't install updates on my win10 machine even if I want to.

Back when we went from the RC editions to the actual release I used a number of registry tweaks to allow for missing features like custom themes, disable cortana, disable telemetry, disable updates etc etc.

Now after all that time has passed I can't remember for the life of me what I fucking changed and i'm essentially still using the initial win10 initial release.

It does mean I don't have to worry about updates I don't like but on the other hand I also lack quite a few QoL updates that I would actually have liked to have.

Oh well.

It doesn't bother me at all, user. I use OpenBSD and Linux, not Windows.

However, as a developer that has worked on some largeish projects (50MLOC+) I'm supportive of their decision - this bundling of patches should reduce testing costs since they don't have to test every possible combination of patches with the new patch to see if there are problems, and will make it much simpler to support Windows, and improve reliability. Large software systems are hard enough to deal with, anything that reduces complexity is a *good* thing.

"Sorry, but I run linux and so can't help your situation"

Nah, I tried. I even talk to a Linux professional, and they told me they only allowed one windows PC in their house, and it is hidden in some dark corner and it is only there to allow their kid to play modded skyrim.

Makes sense, imagine if you had to support and maintain a scenario where each client could potentially have a mix of thousands of different patches?

It's a software developers nightmare

microjew is getting too cancerous to deal with. I might have to embrace the gnu/linux meme if they keep it up

feels good man

why would i waste my time choosing update

automated makes everything better

It's in the first line of TFA, I hate when ACs ask questions like this

>sick of M$ bullshit
>try switching to linux
>takes days just to set up a media player
>go back to windows

Fucking windows 10

fuck this noise

Wut? Just install Bomi.

The GNU operating system, equipped with the Linux kernel in its version 4.4 and completed mostly by GNU various other free, libre and open source software, does not seem to be affected by this issue.

I feel like they are forcing me to bb.... Ubuntu mate.

>my machine
heh, soon it'll not be your machine, you'll only have a license to use it

>soon

There have been several times over the years where Microsoft has had users fix a problem by selectively uninstalling or reinstalling specific updates. Sometimes, in a specific order.

>installs windows
>upgrades to windows 10
>I want some control over what I install on my machine.
No you fucking dont. You never done anything to dindicatoin you want any control over anything you own. Dont sit there and tell me you want control now? You're like my niece, talks shit until she wants something, and then when you say "shouldn't have talked shit" shes all "Im sorry".
Dont fucking lie to me user.

This doesn't make any difference. It just means updates are called "cumulative updates", that's it.

I've always said Microsoft doesn't care about the end user. This seems to support that argument.

Guess it's a good thing I run WSUS / SCCM to manage updates...

First post best post.

Society doesn't have the ability or desire to modify printer drivers.

I feel it's about time I switch full time to OSX.

>Control
>Windows

If you use windows as anything else than your garbage partition OS for playing games, you're dumb.

Just for shits and giggles, I decided to see how hard it would be.

>double click steam.exe
>steam launches
>double click skyrim in steam
>fails, error 83
>browse to skyrim folder, launch skyrimlauncher.exe
>change settings to maximum shit because 8 year old laptop with onboard intel GMA
>just werks

wow, never realized how shit you can scale a game down too.
Thats 2001 tier.

GG, now getting a mod manager working with it.

And it was still only like 10 FPS.
Onboard intel GPUs were pretty damn useless.

A much prettier solution is to just use in-home-streaming to a Windows PC.

Too lazy. I was about to try NMM, but I have to sign up for an account and given that I get virtually nothing out of it, my threshold for saying 'fuck it' is quite low.

>using a mod manager
You don't know how to drag and drop files?

Congrats on proving nothing then.

You're an idiot.

There are no good mods. It's all mlp and furry crap.

Well, the game works, why then wouldn't a mod manager? What's so magic about that that makes it impossible?

Do explain how I'm an idiot.
I can play Skyrim and other Bethesda games fine with mods without a silly mod manager.

>not using mod organizer
Its like you are actually retarded

>Onboard intel GPUs
which one? I just got a skylake but I havnt gamed on it yet so idk what to expect.

You're showing yourself to be plenty retarded by not giving me a real answer to my question.
If you know what you're looking for with the .esp files, you don't need an organizer.
Just use the launcher to enable disable at-will, but if you're on Linux, the launcher likely doesn't work.

Don't really care. I have Windows Update disabled. Everything works fine and will continue to work fine.

If you're using Windows 10, it'll be re-enabled because Microsoft knows best.

epic

Thanks for proving you have no idea what you are talking about.

He isn't me, and you can download Mod Organizer without a nexus account. 0.03 seconds on google would have revealed that.

I'm not asking about how to get one, I'm asking why the fuck you even need one.
The Launcher has one built-in unless you're on Linux.
Or you can just do everything manually with the .esp because why the hell not?

Because it saves space and tons of work. A lot of times you don't want to use the same mods or mods clash. A mod organizer lets you manage that and load order far more easily and without have to have dozens of backup data folders taking up tons of space because mods overwrite the same files and such.

Mod managers were exist for a reason.

Some mods overwrite files if they are aimed at the same resources as an another, so I see that, but I don't see why someone would run multiple mods aimed at the same objective like an idiot.
Also, the Launcher lets you disable, re-enable, and set the load order too with it's mod menu, so a third-party program is only beneficial of you can't get the launcher to work.
Or as it is the case with Fallout 4, the launcher refuses to let the 'mods' option show up entirely, even with edits to the appropriate files.

sasuga microsoft

>dropping shit in your data folder like a plebeian
Why do you like rolling around in shit

>I don't see why someone would run multiple mods aimed at the same objective
That's why you use a mod manager, so you can have different sets of mods that would otherwise clash. The organizer also sets load order automatically, which reduces conflicts you don't even know exist.

Also, I don't even care about the mod manager. Trying getting the script extender running, smart guy

Mod developer here. That guy is a fucking idiot, feel free to ignore him.

Script extender, you mean SKSE, right?
I forget was the script extender was called since I haven't played Skyrim in awhile.

If so, I've had that thing running for a long time ago already.

>there are people on Cred Forums right now that don't use mod organizer

and you can't use your machine while you use it
bricking your machine, for hours @ least, monthly

utter, utter garbage

like being in the 90s (microsoft)

>not just turning off windows update
10240 isn't really that bad desu

I'm talking about the ones in the northbridge (GMA 4500 in my case), not on the CPU. The ones integrated on the CPU are significantly better, but I don't have one to directly compare to so I can't really help there.

oh ok, I heard they are somewhat good, almost maxed off hl2 for what thats worth. Only thing that tripped it up was some obscure setting that probably wasnt implemented good to begin with/ not supported on linux/ or hasnt been used since the late 90s.

blood for the blood god!

that's probably not b she's pressing
more like mmmmmmmm

I haven't updated my win 7 install for 6 month or so, I just have windows update turned off.
How can I install the latest security updates before the patching system changes?

If I turn on windows update and search for updates, it will take hours, and maybe install the botnet updates without asking first.

Wsus offline updates. After which you should run spybot anti-beacon to turn off a large portion of telemetry.

Ok thanks I'll do that on saturday the 1st, I hope it won't be too late.

I believe we're already there. These are the same retards that don't care about privacy because they "have nothing to hide"