If I wanted a career in information security, what is the best, 1st certification I should get?

If I wanted a career in information security, what is the best, 1st certification I should get?

Other urls found in this thread:

niacc.edu/academics/career-clusters/information-assurance-and-security/overview-employment/
volgenau.gmu.edu/program/view/20490
intelligencecareers.gov/nsa/nsacareers.html
airforce.com/careers/detail/cyber-surety
airforce.com/careers/detail/cyber-systems-operations
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

A college degree

First of all, get an undergraduate degree in something tech related.

The "install gentoo" certificate.

S+ is okay

>1st certification
CCENT obviously
show you know the basics

ask pajeet. heard he's got 80k on his botnet fully loaded

CEH

why a degree? why not go straight for certs?

it's crazy how many people make middle class incomes from part time botnets, cc fraud and identity theft.

why not just go straight for code publishing? why wait to get a cve?

Im going for Comptia A+ Security+ and my CCNA atm. This all along with my Information Assurance and Security degree from my local cc

No Network+? A+ is more entry-level helpdesk technician shit.

>A+

CEH because it's easy
CCNA to know your networking
OSCP to get pen test skills and understanding of vulns and exploits

me personally i've been in IT/security for a while now with a bunch of industry certs but recently have been considering getting a degree because despite what people say it appears to me to be a road block to getting a job at a decent company.

nvm I get that too niacc.edu/academics/career-clusters/information-assurance-and-security/overview-employment/ is the program

Give up. You aren't going to get a job in it without 5 years in networking or another IT field. Get the A+ and Cisco certs first (A+ is basically worthless though, they just expect everyone to have it).

because real security isnt certs'n shit.

Its advanced mathematics.

Calc 3+, discrete math, Linear Algebra etc are a must. Even some physics if you want to get on the hardware side of security.

Unless you want to work in crypto this is total bullshit

you're expected to know undergrad applied physics and basic electrical engineering.

this

>security
>without crypto

wew

good security people understand crypto bugs and usually exploits. if they can't crack cascading caesar ciphers using a scripting language then they shouldn't be in infosec.

here OP

volgenau.gmu.edu/program/view/20490

My school's CSEE course list is a good idea of what to expect if you want to get into security for real.

this

Aside from doing crypto analysis / development what security role requires such a deep mathematics background?

Security is a broad field.

All security is crypto user. There's no way around this.

Please elaborate.

I suppose I'm being a bit of a cunt. But what I mean is that all computer security (and infosec by proxy) is based on encryption and cryptography.

The closer you get to the crypto level, the better the jobs and higher the pay, the further you are the more replaceable you are.

If you dont do something like what's posted here then you'll just end up being a sys/network admin of some description.

A fine job sure, but nothing to write home about.

man i don't know shite and i almost got a 100k at some shitty tech company that need a info secure analyst or some shit they gave it some bitch don't think it that hard w/e

sure ya did m8

i swear i almost head if i knowingly followed-up and sweet talked the hiring manager would've had the job... i make much less but i live in paradise and it is cheap as fuck to live here

>But what I mean is that all computer security (and infosec by proxy) is based on encryption and cryptography.

Encryption is only a small part of security. If you want to do something like find vulnerabilities in software or be a pentester this requires no background in mathematics.

It might help sure, but it's definitely not a fundamental requirement.

Ah I see.

I normally dont think of this as security, but it definitely is.

I'd hate to be stuck in a code monkey job like that though.

>Even some physics
This is how you pronounce electronics?

both. when you do electronics in college they make you take electromagnetic theory.

>code monkey job
Mate, if you consider breaking into computers or forcing software to do things that it's not intended to do code monkey work what the fuck do you consider 'real' computer security work

this

The CEH material is a good overall intro into infosec.
infosec is pretty big though, the industry is looking for many different profiles.

No, an actual job. Where you employ these things you are learning.

nsa.gov
cia.gov

Those aren't jobs... what job at the NSA?

first one, cant direct link
intelligencecareers.gov/nsa/nsacareers.html

Intelligence analysis?

yes.

Cryptologic Cyber Planner
Applies in-depth knowledge of the joint planning process to develop detailed cryptologic Functional Support Plans (FSPs), Cryptologic Support Plans (CSPs), and Concept of Operations (CONOPs) that support the Cyber Operation requirements of the DoD, the U.S. government and its allies.

Yeah no, that is probably barely even computer related.

See, computer science and cyber for actual cyber security related work.

See the mathematical science section for crypto related work that requires the math heavy background.

fuck, not sure how I missed the MS section.

That's what I was getting at.

Well if OPs original question was I want to be a cryptographer at the NSA then would be true.

However crypto is seriously niche stuff in security, so what you are getting at doesn't even make sense.

Burglars don't waste their time cracking locks they just break through the window.

How is it worthless if you are expected to have it...?

>implying calculus and linear algebra are a 'deep mathematics background'

>>implying calculus and linear algebra are a 'deep mathematics background'
For programmers they are.

I mean, I get where you're coming from but I did three units of stats (remember most of it) and haven't totally forgotten my uni LA/Calc and I was considered some kind of mathematical genius in several workplaces.

Programming is math but programmers are failed mathematicians who want to stay as far from any real math as they possibly can.

i-is this autism?

If you want to do DoD work then Security+ is required.

OSCP and nothing else if you wanna pentest.

If you wanna play defense, look at the common certs listed on job postings.

College degree in CompSci or InfoSci never hurt.

Internships and/or related jobs will also bolster your resume.

Certs are literally the biggest waste of money and time if you want to get an infosec job. Get a degree in comp sec and then go prove yourself in the real world volunteering or in internships.

t. degree cuck

Why has no one mentioned cissp, also if you don't want to deal with paying for all those certs and shit and self study, just go into the airforce and get them to pay for all your shit all while giving you experience, certs, and even money

Because it won't get you any jobs on its own.

Because you can't do it without 5 years job experience

what?

you guys are all fucking retarded. Join the military like the Air Force like what this guy said They will pay for every cert you need, pay for literally everything and pay you to go to school and be in the fake military. It's not even a real branch of service. They actually tried to compete the Marines once and holy fuck are they an absolute embarrassment. Thank god they have hot ass women.

sincerely,

USMC

P.S. if you join the airforce you a super fag and pussy for joining

He means these
airforce.com/careers/detail/cyber-surety
airforce.com/careers/detail/cyber-systems-operations

Basically security admin and sys admin

shitty burglars break the windows. good ones bypass the locks and security mechanisms and leave without being caught.

all programmers do applied math, troll

The other thing with using the military is that you set yourself up to get hired pretty easily in the civilian world after you leave or retire. Also you fat fucks might actually become fit after some PT and free gym sessions

What if you're fat before getting in?

>Hardware security requires a doctorate in math
I guess I need preparations on how to power on/off systems, disconnect cables, and lock down users.

>300k starting

>/sci/ meme

You won't be after basic, you'd be surprised

I'm looking for an IT (don't care what field) job that I can spend half the day shitposting on Cred Forums.

What certs do I need? I'm already going to be taking the A+ exam in a few weeks.

A+ certifies you for computer technician/helpdesk/technical support/call center so think about that.

If you're helpdesk and don't have a lot of tickets or calls and aren't being micromanaged then perhaps you can shitpost.