This is my new approach to spam. Basically we don't auto ban to allow a high level of discours without censorship

This is my new approach to spam. Basically we don't auto ban to allow a high level of discours without censorship.

But if a community member feels like there is abuse they can query the bot which then makes a decission based on internal metrics. What does Cred Forums think? Is this a fair and open way to combat spam? Or can this still hinder free speech?

It will not hinder free speech any less than applying this to everyone without the /mute thing.

I'd really appreciate some more thoughts on this

And I'd really appreciate if this board was used solely for discussion about technology.
Sadly, neither is going to happen.

The problem with this system is, that many of us have like 65k of ip's they can use to use the /mute on someone. Just log into my router, klick reset-ip and wait 5 sec. Anyone I want to get muted, will be muted :^)

But for a user to be muted a user must post /mute and the bot must detect spam. That way there is a fail safe

link your site
i cant find it on google

What you can do, is that instead of having the person be muted by everyone just because everyone else doesn't like them, to deal with spam, if its from spam bots, just add a captchka, if it's not from bots, report, review report, and issue ipban accordingly.

Or to prevent then from just switching, do ipban along with browser fingerprint ban.

How does the bot judge what is spam and what is not? Couldn't this end up favoring "mob rule"?

Its a basic spam algo. Repeated messages, posting too quickly, too many links over a period of time. Excessively long messages too many times (it is a chatroom). etc.

Personally I don't think it could be triggered by a mob. But you're right it is always a massive concern

Eh... I would say why not give it a try then? You can always butt in if it's been abused by users. It could turn out to be a revolution in chatroom moderation models.

Basic example

Five minutes only?

how do i join your site/chat

Its dependant on the internal metrics / generated profile of the user

For example a normal user wmay receive a 5 minute mute
A user who joins and then starts spamming immediately will receive a few hours

etc

>Is this a fair and open way to combat spam?
Shadowbanning is neither really fair nor open to regular users, but it's a good way to combat repeating offenders and obvious stupid spammers. Has to be used with care or it becomes useless quick. i.e. shadowbanned user logs in with a 2nd account and he will see that none of his messages come through, you might have to prevent login as well.

Don't you ever get spambots or really dedicated shitposters? Those would just wait until they're unmuted to resume shitting up the chat, no?

The site was supposed to be a language learning site originally. When you post a bot reads your message in whatever language. So the problem in reality isn't hardcore spamers, but assholes posting "jsdfhjh jehhfghjsghgv" over and over just to annoy the community with all the nonsense noise that is generated.

> SS logo
> "language lerning community"
lol what

Yeah I opened it up to pol for the Berlin elections. It was all down hill from there.

>I CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST SPENT THE LAST 5 HOURS ARGUING WITH FASCIST POKEMON

And so the joke was set in stone and the site became hard right

Here we go. Somebody's being an asshole. You can see how it works. Unfortunately I don't keep any logs so there are no bans