To all that are new in the Android world of ROMs. Here's all you need to use (providing your device is supported)

To all that are new in the Android world of ROMs. Here's all you need to use (providing your device is supported) ...

>TWRP for your recovery
>Official Cyanogenmod for your daily driver ROM
>Open GApps Project (flashable google apps), or, should you prefer no Gapps, then use the AOSP alternatives
>Privacyguard for root. Privacyguard is integrated in Cyanogenmod 11 and later. You can enable it in developer tools.
>Busybox (provides embedded UNIX tools and commands. Some rooted apps depend on it.)
>Xposed Framework (provides extensive customization through the installation and development of modules)
>Adaway for a general ad blocker (get it off F-Droid), and YouTube Adblock Xposed module for blocking YouTube adds
>Nova Launcher Pro for your primary launcher

That's it. Good luck not bricking your device. Once you get past that growing pain, you can enjoy the latest Android OS on any supported device.

Most other ROMs are bullshit, and basically are a Cyanogenmod build with some tweaks, mods, and themes compiled in, which can make the build buggy. You’ll find it’s better to just stick with an Official Cyanogenmod build, and install additional mods with the Xposed Framework. Also, don’t even bother falling for the [KERNEL] tweak meme. You’ll quickly find “kernel tweaks” are buggy as hell, provide little or zero noticeable performance boost, kill battery life, and rarely updated.

If you're looking for a device specifically to root and run ROMs, check out the XDA forums for the device you have in mind, and make sure there's an active modding community for the exact model and variant of the device you want to buy.

As for brand new devices, you're better off sticking with your stock OS, rooting it, and installing the Xposed framework. I prefer ROMs for older devices that are no longer updated by the manufacture.

Godspeed.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_nicki
androidauthority.com/android-7-0-update-679175/
dl-xda.xposed.info/framework/sdk23/x86/
wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Kenzo_Info
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

how do i root my g3(d855) without becoming a part of someone's botnet?

fuck me, someone on Cred Forums actually knows what they're talking about. it pisses me off when idiots use shady root tools and/or flash curryrom 0.1 alpha and then complain that android is shit because their phone crashes all the time or they get spammed with ads.
official cm is the only third party rom you should ever be flashing.

check xda

I have a Nexus so I don't need cyanogenmod. Cm is working every day worse with custom kernel and having a Nexus lets me just get systemless root and xposed and get everything that I want. Themes with substratum and xposed modules is enough for me. If I didn't have a Nexus I would go for an aosp Rom. Also cm is translated to a lot of languages but crowdin mods just don't approve them because they are lazy so pretty much fuck cm lol

Systemless Root and Xposed using Magisk and AutoMagisk are nice too. Allows you to use IAP and Pokemon Go on rooted devices.

Other than that, I did the same exact set up on my oneplus one yesterday.

Avoid ROMs with SuperSU and block internet access for apps which require root that are not open source.

waiting for 7.0 on nexus 5

If you own a Nexus there's no reason for this shit. If you own an Android phone that isn't a Nexus you should consider suicide

does the s6 edge support cyanogen mod

What's so great about nexus?

little to no bloat and regular official updates, although not for too long. i believe nexus 5 and 6 owners won't be getting nougat without roms like cyanogenmod.

>google cuck
enjoy your spyware senpai

there's this cool website that helps you find other websites

Would would I pay a premium for shitty hardware just for less bloat when I can just flash CM and remove the bloat myself?

>curryrom 0.1 alpha
kek

What are the exact steps to follow to install a cyanogen rom on sony xperia devices (mine is xperia M single sim) ? Xperia phones apparently doesn't have any recovery pre-installed to root them trough .zip package.

wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_nicki

Received an LG p970 Optimus Black (it was a left over)
Is it able to run CM 13?

Every Android phone is capable of running CM. The real question is if there's a build for your phone.

Oneplus is nice and cheap.

Can't an app with root access circumvent that restriction anyway?

i like root access though and small features cyanogenmod has which stock doesnt

I would buy an OPX if it had NFC and a better camera

No. It stops at Jelly Bean i.e. 10.1. Buy a newer phone with Marshmallow support from OEM.

why would you post something your not sure about that you could google easily:

androidauthority.com/android-7-0-update-679175/

SwiftKey for example can't.

Anyone know how to get Android pay to work on a custom rom? I tried disabling root in developer setting. Also tried root cloak but neither worked.

has 10.1 any security flaws? i'm just using it for calling and sms, no internets or bluetooth

Make an in depth guide user especially for retards like me who wl most likely screw it up

Also, on the Privacyguard step, what if I already rooted via chainfire

Can someone tell me what roms are 100% open source? I've heard CyanogenMod has a few binary blobs sprinkled here and there, most notably in their Browser and Launcher.
I know of OmniRom, but it doesn't support my phone, and I'm too lazy to port it myself. I'd rather unfuck Resurrection Remix at that point.

Why is cyanogenmod so popular when better ROMs out there exist?

for example?

If you can't find wikis or forum posts about every software in OP, then you should not mod your phone.

No sd slot, meh build quality and no removable battery
Please don't encourage cuckoldry in Cred Forums

Literally any other ROM.

Looking to root, and maybe install a ROM on my HTC 10.

Recommendations? It's my first unlocked phone.

I think replicant is 100% open source.

Samsung stock ROM is shittier than cyanogenmod.

SwiftKey doesn't use root

because it's not worth my time when i have people like you for that

so 6 is getting it late, 5 users are fucked

It's a pain in the ass. I wanted to try it, but then I realized my Master Card supports NFC payments already.

Replicant supports like 4 phones and is outdated as fuck. The few phones it supports barely have functioning wifi/cell as that requires propietary drivers.
I'm looking for a rom that has the bare minimum propietary stuff to at least let me use my phone. I just don't want propietary stuff in apps and places where it isn't required

>HTC
Enjoy paying 30 bucks to unlock your bootloader.

>Implying it's not carrier unlocked
Please user, I'm not a cuck who bought a Verizon or Sprint phone

I'm pretty sure you can do that exploit with software now anyway

I don't think you'll find anything better. No one really cares to have 100% open source ROM.
However there are phones that have linuxes and stuff like that, some might be 100% open source. If it matter so much to you, it might be the only option.

Well, AOSP is fully open source, except for, again, the drivers. Even CyanogenMod was until CM11 or something, where they added Google Analytics to the Settings app. I just want a rom without that kind of bullshit. Omni, for example, doesn't have that. I'm looking for something else that supports OnePlus2 and doesn't have that kind of bullshit.

I wasn't paying attention. It works for Titanium backup, Powernap, etc.

The only way to get S-OFF on HTC and some Lenovo/Motorola phones is by buying a closed-source one-time-use program.

What if my device is not compatible with CM? :^)
inb4 money wasters telling me to buy a new $700 phone

What about my XT907 that has a locked bootloader on the latest version that cannot be unlocked?

>>Xposed Framework
>tfw no x86 support

one day...

>no x86 support
Whut? dl-xda.xposed.info/framework/sdk23/x86/

what the fuuuuuuuuuuug, or is it only no XPrivacy for x86??

Thank you m8

What is a great phone to buy that is easy to root?

Moto G3

zenfone 2

Is it possible to install cyanogen on a redmi note 3 pro?
I have the 3gb of ram version, with a global rom

if that's the one with a snapdragon 650 then yes

wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Kenzo_Info

I just rooted and modded mine. It's very simple.

It is
thanks

Retard

>x86 pocket housefire

Don't forget a firewall like AFwall so you can control what networks your apps use

Don't forget to install Abdul's Supernitro Xtreme kernel

Is it impossible to root my phone?
LG K8 (K350N dual SIM)
Only way of working is KingoRoot or something like that.
Searched for XDA, nothing of value there.

Building AOSP from sources and using GravityBox I think is a better choice.

>Nexus
>premium
>shitty hardware

And even if there isn't, usually it is trivial to make a port.

Replicant but only few devices are supported. All other ROMs (incl. CM) are using binary blobs for hw as radio taken from official images of target phone.

>LEAF
>pajeet