Is it even possible for them to prevent me from doing it?

Is it even possible for them to prevent me from doing it?
I don't have carrier branded phone.

>Americans get cucked with hotspot too
Please, stop. This is too much.

How much data do you get and how much do you pay for it out of interest?

LAND OF THE FREE

What is with american networks? They're absolutely terrible.
Here in Ireland, if i top up by €20 each month, i get unlimited 4g data as a bonus and can use that as a hotspot whenever i want.

Irish infrastructure is GOAT

HAIL HAIL FREEDONIA

I'm in the UK though.
At this moment, I am on £5 a month with 500MB of the internet. I rarely go over 100MB a month because I have WiFi literally everywhere I go.
I'm in Northern Ireland to be precise.

I dunno, boost mobile says you get 8 gigs of hotspot a month but i use wifi tether router instead of native and itd never been an issue. Hit 250 gigs one month. Look into it

you need root for that.

Maybe they will just look at the traffic and see if it looks like desktop traffic. Probably loads of ways to detect that.

He's a kogat unfortunately. But yeah boost is the best. I managed to get in a family plan so I only pay $45 a month for my legit unlimited high speed data.

>is it even possible for them to prevent me from doing it?
if you root your phone then no. If not, yes.

Actually you can bypass all restrictions without root with pdanet. Only problem is usually only USB mode works.

Not even close but at least it's decent enough as long as it's not a contract. Contracts here just rip you off completely.

Ah, didn't know that, fellow inhabitant of the island of Ireland. What network are you on?
It's just whenever awful internet things like this pop up, i just assume it's American.

The tracking of shared usage is most often done on the device itself, by rooting it or flashing it with the ROM of your choice you can usually bypass this "feature".

There is no way they can enforce this - they generally won't care unless you really, really, really piss them off about something.

It will be fine to use for your laptop and a friend's phone, but not as a public wifi hotspot solution for example.

Either way a VPN should hide all the traffic, so you're golden.

Packet analysis. You can detect when traffic is coming from non-mobile host unless it's being explicitly alerted

I'm with Virgin Mobile at this moment. Screenshot is from 3 though.
I'm on HTC One M8 with GPE rom, rooted.

this is literally satanic

>There is no way they can enforce this
I just created a hotspot and connected my laptop to it. It connected but internet didn't work.
I have unbranded phone with clean Android 6

Easily done by comparing TTL of IP packets. There are probably custom android roms that have a workaround.

>United
>States
>of America

no

Try using vpn or create your own if you have vps. It's super useful, especially if you have ports blocked.

you don't have Three in there? last year was like 20€ for unlimited data plan

I just moved from 3 to Virgin because I had no reception as soon as I entered any building.

If they implemented it the same way as one of our providers, try setting your PC's TTL to 65. This way when it passes through your phone it will be decreased by 1 and match the phone's TTL. Sometimes they check for IPs only PCs access - like, popular MMOs, Windows Update servers, Steam - then VPN will help. It should also help against packet inspection.

Top android

OP here. Turns out that despite this crap being in my contract, hotspot works just fine without any issues. So yea, they are just full of shit.

It's not like I ever use it anyway...