The price of local used Radeons is very tasty thanks to miners...

The price of local used Radeons is very tasty thanks to miners. I know one guy with 6x ASUS 280X cards for a good price and makes no secret that he used mined with them for a year. Well taken care of, dusted & cleaned, etc.

My first thought is no, but then there's a plus - he still has everything required to register the cards with ASUS so it'd be under the full warranty... right?

...would ASUS see that a failing card has run 24/7 for a year? Not overclocked, just run constantly.

...heck, I plan to do plenty of Folding at Home so I can't really complain.

120 Canadian dollars is a huge deal compared to new GTX 960s at double that price. You Americans get all the best deals.

So thoughts? Advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration
rkirchhof.com/Electromigration.html
classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2010-09-04-fixing-an-atari-400-screen-issue.htm
sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5815
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't buy AMD garbage at all, ever.

120 CAD is about 90 USD.

For a used 280X, that would be pretty fine price.

280X is stronger than 960. How much does a 960 go in CAD? 200? 150 CAD?

Go for it.

>im too poor to afford quality

Does AMD have a different type of customer? I don't think so.

>buying GPUs that have been beaten to death with bitcoin mining
Do you even have any idea what mining does to a GPU?

I'm not kidding. There's the normal gamer who'll use his graphics card a few hours a day and insane mining servers which have 20 cards running all at one all day every day at maximum overclock. Cards used for bitcoin mining break down in a hurry.

so is time to bake your graphics card in an oven, amirite?

It's technically cheaper to produce X amount of the same box design and then slap a sticker rather than commission 2 differently styled boxes.
Still, not as fun as no man's sky twist on it

So you shorten the lifespan of the card from 10 to 5 years. Big deal, it'll be outdated by that time anyway.

Not OP, but I'm interested in hearing about what mining does to a GPU.

Tell me. I plan on upgrading everything when Intel releases its 10nm CPUs.

>too poor to afford quality
it's over priced "quality"

ASUS AMD cards are hilariously garbage, they've been known to use nvidia heatpipes that are largely incompatible w/ the AMD GPU, and they run loud and hot as fuck.

What?

Baking graphics cards in an oven, silly. The bastards get so hot that the solder joints and/or chip interconnects melt, thus causing an open circuit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration

rkirchhof.com/Electromigration.html

If you apply heat to an IC without bias (voltage), you may be able to re-fuse the broken interconnect. It's actually a quite common practice with graphics cards.

I'm just wondering about which one will run csgo better. Yeah its CPU based BUT not completely it'll run fine with 100-200fps unstable but still want more FPS.

is that a Cred Forums bait like baking broken screens to melt the lcd crystals again

Im assuming you quoted the wrong post?

You're probably going to buy a lemon.

Baking GPUs is a standard practice, can give some extra use out of an otherwise dead card.

Not much, but just enough to get your files and fuck off.

i own a second hand 7950 that was probably used for mining (owner had sold 30 of them before this one). I did a little research and the first point of failure in a miner would be the fan. They tend to get noisy or just stop working all together. I have owned mine for almost two years and its still working fine.
There's people that think that actually using the card 24/7 is less detrimental than using it for gaming, where you load the card for shot periods of time, get it very hot and then let it cool down. Those change of state are what fuck the solders and other parts. At least that's what they think.

My advice is get the card only if you first can examine it carefuly, check for failing fans or artifacts, run stress tests to see if it doesnt shit itself, etc.

>970 is still faster

This is true. Weakened interconnects in an IC generally break from the jolt of power-on just like a light bulb filament. Also an IC which is about to fail will run abnormally hot as a thinning interconnect will cause voltage leaks.

Conversely, an IC with an open circuit will not run unusually hot while a shorted IC will. ICs with open circuits may be fixable via the oven trick, shorted ICs (generally due to overvoltage or ESD) are not repairable and must be thrown out.

>mfw that wouldn't be true even if I had a face

classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2010-09-04-fixing-an-atari-400-screen-issue.htm

sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5815

Classic examples of ICs that developed an open circuit. Personally I would have tried the oven trick first and only swapped them out if that didn't revive them.

Im laughing my arse off reading all of the people screaming about heat and mining LOL.

The people who have actually done some form or shape mining crypto currency know to custom settings to keep whatever is mining under 80c to make sure the thing lasts as long as possible because You know, investment.

also heres your (you)

Explain how one piece of metal could be incompatible with a certain type of GPU?

Are you fucking serious right now?
You are aware you must be 18 or older to browse this site, right?

No, explain it sounds illogical, it's as dumb as saying a fan with an intel sticker on it won't cool an amd cpu.

(You)

I saw a used R9 285 for $90 a few months ago. I was going to buy it, but I wanted a card with HEVC decoding.

When i tried to rma my motherboard, they tested my cpu on a different one and used an amd fan. It booted then and am still using it today. Checkmate retard

You could at least make your b8 a bit less stale.

I bought an r9 290 for $182 from the miner holocaust about 2 years ago on eBay, from a goy in Regina

>I'm not kidding. There's the normal gamer who'll use his graphics card a few hours a day and insane mining servers which have 20 cards running all at one all day every day at maximum overclock. Cards used for bitcoin mining break down in a hurry.
They don't, unless the tard' was running them at 90 or 100 grades C
The days of baking pretty much ended with the HD4xxx series, nowadays the cards take high temps well enough
>custom settings to keep whatever is mining under 80c to make sure the thing lasts as long as possible because You know, investment.
tbqh this is retarded, since most cards will be really unprofitable by the team they break down
Though power usage wise it's cheaper to run them cooler and at lower voltages, which would lengthen the lifespan of the card, but it all depends on your electricity costs and how valuable could your memecoins get