I need a small laptop for university with a decent battery that I can easily carry in a backpack...

I need a small laptop for university with a decent battery that I can easily carry in a backpack. I'd also like it to be reliable.
I'll only use it for shitposting, taking notes and writing papers.

What are the best, cheapest options on the market? I don't want a tablet.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=T8BcndMxu44
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Toshiba chromebook 2015 + crouton

lenovo x230

Thinkpad? I hear a lot about those, are they really good or is it just a Cred Forums meme?
Why get a Chromebook?

This, or Asus x205ta/hp stream 11 on sale

I have fallen for that meme and it is not only a meme, nice thing with good perfomance. Also adding ram/disks is very easy.
I bought t420

Pick up one of the sub $200 chromebooks. You can write essays, take notes, shitpost and more!

Are they solid and reliable?
Can I save pics on them?
Sorry if I'm asking retarded questions, I don't know much about tech.
I see. How's the battery life on Thinkpads?
Can they easily be carried in a normal backpack?

Don't buy a Thinkpad for fuck's sake.

Chromebook is your best bet. Great battery life, light, cheap, and will do everything you need to do with ease.

Yes you can see pictures on them, and they are solid and reliable.

dankpad x220

Mine cane used and I have it since 3 days ago. 2h battery life but on x220 with new battery you should get somethin like 8h.
Beyond 14" size it fits my backpack well

>Don't buy a Thinkpad for fuck's sake.
Why?

Unweildy, heavy, ugly as fuck, more than OP needs. Just no reason to over a Chromebook.

Depending on your budget get x220/x230. These are business class laptops designed to be reliable and fast. Avoid buying plastic chromebooks/chromebooks at all. These are fucking toys for little kids.
x230 costs a little more, but it has more powerful CPU and iGPU with less power consumption.

>These are fucking toys for little kids

What makes you say that? What can a memepad do for OP that a Chromebook can't?

Better community support makes it better fixing random problems because everything has been said already

memepad has a decent, full voltage i5/i7 CPU with ability to handle anything, including gaymes running at 4k resolution via eGPU.
Chromebook is a little toy for browsing the internet and taking notes. That's all. Plus it costs more than dankpad.
>you won't be able to comfortably compile programs on it
>no internal modem
>no windows and windows software
>very limited storage space
>no trackpoint, which is absolutely god tier in ThinkPads
>no spill-proof keyboard
etc etc.
tl:dr version: chromebooks are fucking shit. Get a real ThinkPad instead.

Did you even read what the OP wants the computer for?

Just buy a Chromebook supported by GalliumOS and you're good to go, OP

Jumping into this thread to ask a similar question.

Want a laptop for basic stuff (internet/MS Word/YouTube/etc.).

Good battery life would be a bonus. Good keyboard is essential. A 14/15"+ screen, something decent that won't go to shit after 9 months. I currently have a Sony Vaio and it's shiiiiiit.

Any suggestions? Would appreciate your opinion.

Toshiba Chromebook 2 (2015)

T420 if you want the cheaper variant
T430 if you want the better variant
T430 with T420 keyboard if you want the absolutely best variant

You literally just made the case for a Chromebook. All OP wants to do is take notes, web browse, and word process. A Chromebook will have better battery life and be lighter, which is much more important for OP than any of the other bullshit you mentioned.

You got me there, but I don't think that's a good enough reason

lenovo W520

youtube.com/watch?v=T8BcndMxu44

Thinkpad 13

That picture resonates with me for some reason. Also lenovo x1 yoga for 14", xps15 for 15

>windows software
>gaymes

>bullshit
That's a great logic you got there, you linux piece of shit.
OP, avoid all linux-only hardware these faggots recommend to you. You'll get cucked when you realize you can't even run ms office on it.

Those are expensive! Any 'budget' alternatives for those of us with less spare change?

W520 is cheap.

Then I don't know specific models but I can't recommend HP enough, as of lately.
They range from 200€ to 1200€, look on their website

Cheers. :)

That is a problem with chromebooks, but for 99% of people it doesn't matter. Google Drive has gotten pretty good lately.

T420 is too big to haul around. X230 hands down, with the extended battery, swap in an SSD if you can. This is coming from somebody who has both laptops and use the X230 as a daily carry beater.

memepad desu

>I DONT KNOW WHAT LIBREOFFICE IS!!!

holy shit kys

If both the chromebook and memepad cost the same why the fuck would you buy the former since it offers less

>libreoffice
LMAO!
libreofffice is a pos of shit.

If you've got a decent budget, HP Elitebook 9480m. It's my work laptop I use for development and it gets me 13 hours max battery. If you want a cheaper option, the 9470m is still very nice.

>a pos of shit.
>a piece of shit of shit