>spend all day trouble shooting problems with google
>stressing + double checking putting together everything

yeah man just like legos

>plug things into the only place they fit
>???
just like lego

>Dumbfuck frogposter has trouble assembling computers
Nothing worth investigating here folks.

I say it's more like building IKEA furniture. Sometimes there's some minor hiccups, but usually you get it "good enough".

>build first computer like 5 years ago
>it takes me 4 or 5 hours
>turn it on and it just works
>build second computer about a year ago
>takes me 3 to 4 hours
>turn it on and it just works
its easy as fuck honestly, just stop, follow instructions, check and double check stuff and everything is fine.

Its also really fun and exciting.

they are right, except if you try to put a lego into another it fits instead of breaking, and also legos dont have the ability to catch on fire. oh yeah and legos dont have hundreds of tiny pins that can bend, and you dont have to worry about operating systems or drivers. oh yeah and legos dont crash, they just work.

people who try to make the lego anology are fucking children who try to feel special about having the ability to put a computer together. they have literally nothing else going for them. the best part is 99% of the people here who try to act smart had to watch youtube videos to figure it out instead of being a man, much less are old enough to have built their first machine before youtube even existed

I've been building computers since I was 10 or 11. Didn't even need to be taught how or google anything, I just took 10 of them apart and tossed all the best specced parts I had in one box. Congratulations, you're dumber than a 10 year old child.

Yes, a non-braindead child should be able to put legos together. Similarly a non-braindead adult (realistically a preteen) should be able to put a computer together and click through installation prompts. The only people trying to feel like they have a special skill by building computers are those who want to pretend its some kind or difficult or even remotely challenging accomplishment.

Only part that is even remotely tedious is the front panel I/O.

That's.
About.
It.

This desu. I actually expected to do a lot more troubleshooting the first time I assembled one, but it just werks

I havent built one and know its just like legos.

Yeah, harder than Legos. Not hard overall though. I did it as a middle schooler. Read on what you're doing before you do it if you want to feel less retarded

So you never got one of the LEGO kits that's more complicated than plain colored blocks then?

what about back panel io, who uses those things?

You don't?

Shitty cases that use individual pins are annoying as fuck.

>help roommate pick parts for pc
>parts arrive, he wants to build it
>he asks other roommate for help, not me
>neither have built a pc before
>okay whatever, fuck you too
>4-5 hours later, they're still trying to build it
>other roommate eventually leaves to hangout with his gf, pc still not built
>it wouldn't boot
>eventually he asks me
>look at it, no CMOS battery, must've fallen out, don't tell him
>"hmm idk lol, sorry"
>he returned the stuff he could and sold the rest for like 60% on craigslist
I bought his RAM and SSD

What must life be like from their point of view?

no idea, but I've stopped trying to be his friend. he obviously likes the other roommate more, so I'm always the 3rd wheel. this was a few weeks ago and I've pretty much said nothing to him since buying the ram and ssd

they routinely hangout together without inviting me, but they'll discuss their plans infront of me

>I did it as a middle schooler

I really think you only found it easy as a middle schooler was becuase you had a genuine interest in building it. I don't give a shit about this as fun, I just wanted it done. I did my research and did the steps, but I still get unexpected problems. I wish I just bought a fucking pre built.

>wasting money on a prebuilt because you can't into shapes
There aren't too many things easier than building a computer. I mean, breathing comes to mind, but that's basically it.

Lego fits together in more than one way

A computer only fits together in one way

Putting a computer together is objectively easier than putting lego together.

B-but user, it IS just like legos.

You can follow the directions exactly and build the beautiful model on the front of the box.

Or you can be a master builder and create your own amazing things.

Or you can build a total spastic mess.

>autist pc builder literally cuckolded out of his group

meh, I tried my best but at some point, it's not worth it. I know secrets about both of them (they talk shit about eachother to me), so I'll probably tell them before I move out

roommate lost ~$300 reselling the stuff, so I feel like that's decent payback

>Built first pc
>Everything goes well
>Try to power it on
>Can't
>Have to short out pins on mobo because case won't do it
>Do this for a day before I decide to look at case manual
>Turns out the big button is reset
>Small button is power

The case fucking sucks anyways, almost no room for cable management

>A computer only fits together in one way
Plug all molex and SATA power plugs into a single one on the PSU with a tree of splitters and molex/SATA adapters.
Install the mobo the wrong way round in the case.
Put the sound card in the PCIe 16x slot.
Put the RAM into PCIe 1x slots, standing up (serial mode, using PCIe for faster access).
Cut the connector short on the GPU to fit it into the remaining PCIe 1x slot.
Install the optical drive upside down.
Lather thermal paste over the pins of the CPU before placing it in the LGA socket.
Close up the case, a job well done.
Wait, what are these round metal nut pieces left over? Spare parts?

>follow instructions
You dont even have to do that, plug and play!!!!

Hmm I've built maybe 20 PCs for myself and friends/family

The first one I had a few problems with the motherboard stands and my 9th build was the first custom loop I configured

Was a bit nervous but after doing 48hrs of loop testing I was confident

>10days in a leak
>rip x58 + i7 920

Since then I've not bad any problems.

>Install the mobo the wrong way round in the case.
there's ports on one side
>Put the sound card in the PCIe 16x slot.
this will still work, but who still buys these things?
>Put the RAM into PCIe 1x slots, standing up (serial mode, using PCIe for faster access).
retarded
>Cut the connector short on the GPU to fit it into the remaining PCIe 1x slot.
very retarded
>Install the optical drive upside down.
>Lather thermal paste over the pins of the CPU before placing it in the LGA socket.
full blown what the fuck retarded

I know that feel OP, I did order parts from amazon but I never got it to work. After a week of trying I finally gave up and shipped it all back and went to buy a gaming laptop at walmart.

>full blown what the fuck retarded
Never underestimate users

>very retarded
But will work

If you see assholes everywhere, you are the asshole.

I don't know user, not the guy that you replied to, but I get called an asshole all the time and I still meet and know nice people

Why do mericucks say legos? It's just Lego.

>dumb frogposter
I don't have to read more to know you're an idiot too retarded to know he is one.

Plural

lego is the plural.

Yes because everybody studies the oddball grammar of toy companies.

>Install the mobo the wrong way round in the case.
The screw holes/standoffs aren't symmetrical, good luck with this.

Why do Europoors say lego for the plural of lego? It's lego bricks.

At least 2 will line up. You'll be fine.

>I say it's more like building IKEA furniture. Sometimes there's some minor hiccups, but usually you get it "good enough".
no.

>so I'll probably tell them before I move out
Do it for the lz. Also, tell you friend about the CMOS battery

if its anything like my brothers, life is complicated and people try to make you do stuff you dont want to. Things just work until they stop working then its time to get a new one. Its too complicated to try to fix things. If you dont have tools you can just borrow it from someone else, they dont mind. People try to make you do stuff you dont want to do like work a shit tier job, and even though you dropped out because school was boring and you couldn't smoke weed in class, and are now completely unskilled, learned, or trained, a shit tier job isn't worth wasting your time over. Its unfair that everyone doesn't want to help out anymore, what are you suppose to do.. its not like you have money like they do. At least your idiot friends understand you and how the world works though.. better go hang out with them so you dont have to deal with confrontation for another day.
Then you show up home three days later at 3 AM and proceed to bang a bunch of pots and throw silverware into the a steel sink, waking up everyone that is in school trying to do something with their life, or has a real job.. the job that pays for the food your eating. Oh and dont worry about washing the silverware you woke everyone up throwing.. theyll wash it when they wash the other dishes.

>but I've stopped trying to be his friend.
Good choice. Im doing the same thing with alot of people right now. Its not worth it to try and stay friends with fake ass people that just want to use you.

>>Have to short out pins on mobo because case won't do it
What the fuck are you talking about?

>Hmm I've built maybe 20 PCs for myself and friends/family
have you ever had a back io shield not fit right?
I got a new pc, I put it in a 90s computer case and it was all find, but then I bought a new case and the io shield just wont go in. its like it there isnt enough clarence for it.
the closest Ive got it is forcing the motherboard into and and I'm not about to mound the board with strain on it.

Why do Yuropoors say Maths? It's just Math.

The four corner holes might line up, but from there it would be fucked.
The middle standoff, which often has a little peg thing on it to help alignment (by default if not replaced) won't line up for sure.

>The four corner holes might line up, but from there it would be fucked.
Exactly. The point here isn't to put together a working PC. We're saying how a total retard might put together a PC because it's not quite as simple as snap everything together where it fits.

If you have any interest in technology, you should know how to build a PC from parts without help, even without prior knowledge. For my CS degree, I had to take a class on computer troubleshooting where we basically just took apart and rebuilt PCs like they were AK47s. The only kids who had trouble with that class were Mac users..

>PC assembly is toddler tier
>Cred Forums looks down on adults who don't want to waste their time with toddler tier activities

not the dude, but i don't, asus z170A has the dumbest IO shield i've ever seen in my life.

We look down on the laziness. You'd rather spend significantly more money to not have to spend a half hour putting a computer together. It's quite retarded.

>We
Spotted the Redditor.

You're not counting
* time to research and order individual parts
* unboxing individual parts
* recycling the packaging
and more importantly
* tax write-offs for individual parts vs. a whole computer
Right, you probably don't do your taxes yet.
* something breaks. Dell technician guaranteed to arrive within 24h and replaces the motherboard or whatever

except there are like 10 times as many holes an many holes look identical to the other holes except are a tiny bit wider or thinner and you have to purchase the pegs separately and be really careful to purchase just the right pegs and some pegs have extremely fragile plastic taps you have to lift when inserting stuff or it breaks and some of the pegs are razor sharp others break if you touch them

there are even identical holes that do different things and all you have to go on is a few vague letters that might or might not be the letters in the manual

You're probably just retarded.

I've never been to reddit before. Why does saying we mean I use that shithole?

So an hour, maybe an hour and a half total? Oooh big difference.

>So an hour, maybe an hour and a half total? Oooh big difference.
Guaranteed you never tried to get a tax reduction for individual PC parts.

Why would you get a tax reduction for having a computer anyway?

let us be honest though
building a computer is hard

but getting tax reductions is not really related to the picking parts and putting them together

The plural of Lego is Lego
No wonder you have trouble with simple things

See and

How's that gaming rig coming along?

I've never had a gaymen computer before.

why are you even on Cred Forums you stupid frogposter ?
is the place you're looking for

>Why would you get a tax reduction for having a computer anyway?
Home office
Being self-employed

I can deduct a work PC once every 3 years.
When I declare individual parts, both me and the tax man have more work to do. The tax man doesn't like extra work.

>building a computer is hard
No it isn't but it's hardly worth it if your time is worth $120+ per hour.

The bane of the builder. Why are these I/O not standardized yet? Each board has a completely different pin-out.

Yeah because most people are capable of such a tax deduction.

>CS degree
>troubleshooting desktop hardware

This is the most Pajeet thing I've heard this month.

Fucking retarded frog poster

/thread

>Play with lego like a mad autist until 13
>Watch dad pull a part old computers/put them back together
>Build first actual PC
>bit hesitant about the CPU lever thingy (didn't want to apply too much pressure)
>Do everything else, wait for my mate who had the Win7 DVD
>Tells me to apply pressure, pop it in > boot>install win/drivers

>install win
WARNING: Windows is non-free software.

The physical building part, yes. You're supposed to check compatibility before building.

and you are here just to bully?

They had to add the class because people complained that they were graduating in CS and somehow still didn't know how to build a PC. Why the fuck they'd rather pay to have the class rather than Google it is beyond me. It's a required class now too. College educations are a scam.

>building comp
>every part in its right place and everything working in 30-45 mins
>spend 3 more hours on cable management
Everytime.

Friendly reminder that frogposters should be gassed.

>spend 5 minutes on dell.com
>it just works
>i can focus on my job

Reminders are for things everyone doesn't already know

>choose parts for my PC
>don't have to assemble or worry about anything because most PC shops will assemble it for you for free

Building a computer nowadays is just like flipping a burger.

>hating Pepe on a Pepe website

Where? I haven't found a shop that charges less than 99€ yet.

Hang yourself.

Literally what he said. Manually closing the circuit that the power switch is supposed to close. Like with a jumper.

I'm not him but I build a lot of computers too. I've had some difficulty ones where I've had to bend the little edge deals a bit to get them in. Never had one that legit wouldn't fit. Twice I've forgotten to put them in.

I'm not American, it's pretty standart practice here.

Four corner holes don't match up, user. At least not on ATX.

Read the motherboard manual at least
I admit I fucked up with the Corsair H100i V2 water cooling mounting
Used the AMD standoff's, wondering why it wouldn't fit correctly

He said nothing about the pins being the power button pins. It sounded like he was shorting out the motherboard because the thought the case was suppose to have a raised section to make contact with the motherboard as if there was a motherboard/case standard to let the motherboard know if it was seated correctly. Like a failsafe for the fools that dont use standoffs.

>
>I'm not American
>€99 here

Keep my country name outcha mouf, boy!!!

Eh, it was obvious to me what he meant, but I'm an autist who jumpers the power switch directly on the motherboard for testing/benching/underclocking before I even wire up the front panel connections, every single time.

The case is weird. Its got like a tunnel from the back of the case to the io connections. It snaps in place right, but its too close to the connectors and causes the motherboard mounting holes to not line up right unless I shove the board forwards, which inturn has to cause some stress on the board from being forced. Dont seem right to me.

I watched a few youtube videos and then I built my first pc with no problems (except leaving a cable unplugged by accident)

Im also an autist, I do shit like when an accessory doesn't work Ill plug it in while its taken apart and look up the pinout of the chips on the board and bridge the reset manually trying to get it to work.

you probably put the side panels on before booting it didn't you

bad luck, frogger

I can't stand this part. Some nice mobos have a little guide block that makes it less of a pain in the ass.
I've put in 2 of those and they're fucking retarded.

Sometimes theres some little spring tabs in there and sometimes them fuckers don't get bent out of the way during manufacturing... There should be a bit of force to get a good 'seal' around the ports, but not too much.

>molex

This isn't 2003, grandpa.

back panel I/O was the only part that annoyed me because i cut my finger on the shield.

>Being this retarded.
You're making yourself miserable.

This. And even if you're completely retarded, blind or being safe you always get a fucking manual with your motherboard and even most other parts, just look at the pretty pictures and read a few pages of text to learn what goes into which hole. It should take you an hour or two to assemble everything, maybe more if you have no idea what you're doing.
And if you're a complete tech illiterate you can always watch YouTube video tutorials.

The only issue is that you can buy parts that don't fit each to each other. Or won't fit in the case. Or the PSU won't supply enough power. Or miss some cables. Or...

It can be nerve wrecking task for first time but it isnt really hard. As long as you have parts that work togather it is not hard.

This, now it's way less than a hour, for the first boot, the rear of the time is installing things.
If you know what you're doing it should be a 20 minutes job

>power and reset button switches act differently and don't just short two corresponding pins on the board
Is that true?

still no different to lego, when comparing to lego box sets where they come with instructions on how to assemble a specific model

Putting it together isn't hard. If you're out of the loop, the hard part is getting the best parts for you money and if you're a total noob, it's probably also hard to make sure everything is compatible. But even that is a breeze these days honestly.

There are enough assembly tutorials out there for those that need them on their first build.

Not if you use pcpartpicker or logicalincrements or just ask someone

no, ATX power and reset buttons are completely identical, both are momentary switches (closed when pressed, open when not pressed)

>

>pcpartpicker
>logicalincrements
Both basically only recommend gaming PC hardware.

It's nothing like lego, I don't get this retarded comparision. It's still not that hard though.

>these colored toddlerbooks with coloured pictures for sysadmin babbies
kek, my asrock manual is like space science book

>Motherboard randomly boots up saying flashing firmware

>Cred Forums NEETs unironically looks down on professionals who use prebuilt PCs and have more important things to worry about

Assembling a PC is like cheap chinese legos with mismatching studs and wobbly bricks combined with german steel construction set.

Lego is literally indestructible while PC hardware is sensible and can be ruined by simple mistakes.

You also have space management and cables, both things you will never see in Lego.

It's nothing like Lego, fuck off my main man.

>You also have space management and cables, both things you will never see in Lego.

Maybe we should make solid color parts with solid color connectors corresponding to each part. Maybe then even the most brain dead could figure it out.

>B-but that doesnt count

>having IQ in the single-digits
>on Cred Forums
Oh, who am I kidding. We all know that modern Cred Forums is entirely composed of people like OP.

You're right. This lego set is far more complex than assembling a PC.

>prebuilt
>professionals

You just skipped the whole line:
>cheap chinese legos with mismatching studs and wobbly bricks
These also are easy to break too, especially minifigs and their hands made of cheap plastic

>buy a cpu
cpu says its lga 775 or something
>buy a lga 775 or something mobo
lol mobo says it can use ddr3 1333MHz RAM just like the processor
>buy 1333MHz ddr3 ram
>buy a pcie x16 gpu since mobo has that socket
gee i wonder what PSU i need for this
>search for "processor gpu PSU" in google or dickdickgoesin , or use one of the few hundred PSU calculators
>wow mobo says its ATX , i need to search an ATX compatible case
>but i need a 150mm cooler on my CPU, i guess i need to check in what cases it will fit
>i need an sata HDD or SSD too

I bet someone will find something retarded in this but building a computer that turns on and fits every part is holy fucking simple.

> metaphors are not 1:1 paradigmatically mapable to real life

its true, most use prebuilt unless they game in with their freetime but lets be honest who is going to game or stay at home when you live and work in manhattan

>notebook died
>built mitx case pc
>insert ssd with OS and hdd with all the shit
>booted first time, it just werks
Could play previously installed games just like that.
(Yes I did go from one Intel+ nvidia to another)

It means you're an idiot. Even I, with not too much knowledge, I managed to assamble it, only references used being motherboard's instruction booklet. I'm a femanon, btw.

His point, if you think about it for half a second, was that he was pressing the reset switch instead of the power switch to try and start the machine. The punchline of his cheeky story was that it took him a week to find out he was pressing the wrong button. Fuck.

For non gaming PC, just remove video card. Simple as that.

RTFM that comes with your mobo

this

>>Turns out the big button is reset
>>Small button is power
no, you just connected them wrongly

Why don't you try the following?

>Not being a twat

I think this is a better analogy than Legos

What a piece of shit you are

wut?

i dont understand how anyone could have trouble after watching a single video...

like all the things can only go in one place..the only thing you can really mess up is things that are not very visible (mobo standoffs, backtray, etc)

it is literally legos as long as you actually read your motherboard manual to wire the case

Yeah i've had a few that just don't seem to fit right

on one occasion filed down so it would fit
but its usually not worth the hassle
my own system i've left without an IO plate because it just won't fit and it was fine a bit just a bit more dust.

Okay. Nobody is making you participate in building your own. I didnt build my own car even though it'd probably be cheaper and more personalized if I did

Building Lego is only hard if you ate one of the pieces

Did you try to eat your CPU OP

Biggest pain in the ass is the power, reset, hdd led connections on motherboard.

Free enough ;)

Sheeit

>not buying a motherboard will soldered on apu
Literally nothing to plug in.

Why do you need something recommended? Its very easy to tell what is gaming and what isn't as it has a specific series for each purpose. Literally takes 5 seconds to find out in Google. PCpartpicker doesn't just omit stuff that isn't gaming. It's still there in the lists in plain view.

Nvidia is:

GT: Low end workstation/home PC
GTS: Midrange work station/low end gaming
GTX: Midrange to high end gaming
Quadro: Professional 3D work/anything with CUDA, can be used for gaming but is extremely expensive so no point buying it for that

Congrats on being less functional than an 8 year old. Shouldn't you be studying for your reading test in Mrs. Howell's class, little Jimmy? If you pass, you'll finally be able to read that motherboard manual!

>manual
Everything is so straight forward now that manuals have been rendered unnecessary. OP is just stupid.

>GT: Low end workstation/home PC

>Dual Intel Xeon
>64 GiB ECC RAM
>4x 2 TB SSDs in RAID 5
>10 Gb/s Ethernet
>onboard graphics
>"""low end workstation"""

Yeah, the card itself is low end GPU work capable. I wasn't referring to what kind of prebuilts it comes with. Try to do anything GPU heavy on that card and you're bound to get shit results.

You do realize they put the GT series in those kinds of builds simply because its most likely going to be used as a server/CPU-only work, right? Its just a cheap card that adds decent multi-head support and can use video acceleration in case its used for video editing, but no GPU-accelerated effects.

This. How retarded are you people on this shit fucking board.