If you hold Shift while resizing a window in OS X, it will keep its proportions. If you hold Option...

If you hold Shift while resizing a window in OS X, it will keep its proportions. If you hold Option, it will resize relative to the center instead of the furthest corner.

Can Linux or Windows do that? It's really neat.

normally when i resize, i have a particular shape in mind, or space to fill
the only time i care about the aspect ratio is my video player, which is configured to do this on its own

that said, i don't see why this couldn't be done in linux, not sure about windows

thanks for posting this op I just started using os x and don't know many of the shortcuts yet
I just learned about cmd option v yesterday (。>﹏

Some window managers under Linux can do this. BSPWM comes to mind at least for the "resizing from the center" bit.

>gay ass emoticon
confirmed apple customer

no bully! ٩(๑`^´๑)۶

Hold shift while minimizing a window in OS X

You can install Windows and Linux on a normal, non-overpriced as fuck computer without performing strange tricks and having the right components.

Can Mac do that? It's really neat.

>Can you install Mac on a PC
No, and you can't install a PC on a Mac or a PC either. You normally run software on hardware, not hardware on hardware.

I have to hold ALT to get something full screen, on OS X, which is annoying as fuck.

Yeah I don't get why they fucked that up

Can I snap the windows to the edge? Does the red button actually close the application? Can I maximize a window without going fullscreen?

>Can I snap the windows to the edge?
Yes
>Does the red button actually close the application?
The close window button closes the window, just like it's intended to.
>Can I maximize a window without going fullscreen
Yes

What the actual fuck are you talking about? PC is not an operating system. It stands for personal computer. Furthermore you absolutely can install GNU/Linux based operating systems on a mac.

>The close window button closes the window, just like it's intended to.
That's not what he asked. So the answer to his question is no. Thanks for clearing that up for us.

that's what he said, please keep up

>What the actual fuck are you talking about? PC is not an operating system.
No fucking shit, and Mac's not an operating system either, it's a line of hardware. Which was my point, you can't install a Mac on a PC the same way you can't install a PC on a Mac.
>Furthermore you absolutely can install GNU/Linux based operating systems on a mac
Again, no fucking shit. I never claimed otherwise.

Why would the close window button do anything other than close the window?

>not an operating system
The line of operating systems is called macOS. Please educate yourself regarding the product you are shilling for

Because in every sensible operating system it closes any background processes associated with the window as well. OS X is the only one who insists on using it specifically for closing the window. So you can call it the "close window" button all you want, but that's not the behavior that sensible computer users are expecting when they click on that button.

macOS hasn't come out yet. Not only is it currently OS X, but even when it is macOS, Mac is still hardware, macOS is the software that runs on the hardware, you goddamned retard.
>everyone who disagrees with me is a shill
dank meme, user

I'm using Ubuntu Unity at work and holding Shift while resizing does the center thing. Neat, but pointless since usually I position one of the corners where I want it and then resize from the opposite corner.

What I find more useful is dragging windows by holding Alt and "grabbing" anywhere in the window instead of being restricted to the header bar.

macOS (originally named Mac OS X until 2012 and then OS X until 2016) is a series of Unix-based graphical interface operating systems developed and marketed by Apple Inc. It is designed to run on Macintosh computers, having been pre-installed on all Macs since 2002. Within the market of desktop, laptop and home computers, and by web usage, it is the second most widely used desktop OS after Windows.

You really are a retarded shill

Sierra hasn't come out yet, it's OS X. Regardless you're a fucking dumbass for calling software hardware and are in no place to be insulting others' intelligence.

>failing to acknowledge that the series of operating systems is called macOS

the more you try to fight this the more retarded you look

sierra has been out for days

Really? Again, either way it's not called Mac.

macOS is the name for the series of operating systems

Yes, and macOS ≠ Mac, you fucking imbecile. Mac is the line of hardware, macOS is the software that runs on said hardware.

Wow that girl is cute I hope she wins

There is nothing special about the hardware that makes it incompatible with other operating systems. I think what you really meant to say is that it is "computer hardware"

Oh sorry for not being up to date on the latest apple corporate messaging fuckface.

You are beyond retarded. All I'm saying is that Macs are hardware. I'm not saying they require OS X.

Eat a dick you fucking twat, Macs have been around since the 80s.

And I'm saying that the hardware is not special or unique in any way so branding it as "Mac" is retarded. It is simply computer hardware. Nothing about it is different from any other computer hardware and you can in fact build "PC" computers from the same hardware. In fact, Macs are PCs.

>And I'm saying that the hardware is not special or unique in any way so branding it as "Mac" is retarded. It is simply computer hardware. Nothing about it is different from any other computer hardware and you can in fact build "PC" computers from the same hardware. In fact, Macs are PCs.
I never claimed otherwise, you goddamned buffoon.

>I never claimed otherwise, you goddamned buffoon.
So if we are in agreement, then why are you even trying to enforce anything regarding the usage of the term "Mac". You just acknowledged that it is meaningless.

I was pointing out that calling "OS X" "Mac" is wrong because OS X is software and Macs are hardware and you just went full sperg. I explained it to you like 10 times and you just kept sperging. Next time think before you sperg, you fucking retard.

I sperged all over your mom

You probably sperg all over everything, I wouldn't be surprised if autistic fits of rage are the only thing you're good at.

what even provoked you to be THIS MAD

OS X a cute

hackintosh user btw

xfce does that, as well as being able to drag from anywhere within the window if you're holding alt.

i3 does it too.