Is Windows 8.1 the patrician's choice of Windows?

Is Windows 8.1 the patrician's choice of Windows?
It's just as stable as 7, but lighter on resources, and isn't a botnet like 10.

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/xvitaly/eafa75ed2cb79b3bd4e9
mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605
softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Windows-Hotfix-Downloader.shtml
ntlite.com/download/
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3053711
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

8.1 is to 10 what Vista is to 7.

>8.1 is to 10 what Vista is to 7.
no. your a idiot

>8.1 is to 10 what Vista is to 7.
Except 10 isn't good while 8.1 is ok

10 is more different than 8.1, than 8.1 is different from 7.

It's the other way around actually+.

I'm using it as my Laptop isn't fully supported on Windows 7 and the last time I installed it I had to go on a 2 hour journey finding drivers.

8.1 is stable as well as smooth. Just slap Start8 onto it and it just werks.

Fuck 8.1, stay with 7 or fedora until microsoft thoroughly unfucks 10's shit so we can debotnet it, as bad as the telemetry is the thing looks promising.

>Fuck 8.1
What's wrong with 8.1?

8.1 is the most rational choice if you want a modern version of Windows that just werks.
But people aren't rational, so yeah.

I remember hearing that 8 would be like Vista in a way that after Windows 10 will be out, some people will stubbornly stay on 8 just because and won't upgrade to 10.
And guess what, now I'm one of those people. I guess I just adore it.

True patricians choose freedom over convenience.

Nah m8 I'm running fine on botnet 10 with all telemetry stuff enabled

It's not lighter on resources. At least from my experience.

>corrupted system files out of box from clean media made with official tools
>installing chipset/cpu drivers will crash every time
>thumbnail loading slower than in 7 or 10.
>starting programs will take progressively longer the longer it is on
>random short lockdowns and lag at times. same as 10.
With the exception of last part none of these issues are present in 7 or 10.

I have both installed and it seems to be a bit lighter than 7, but not much.
Both are up to date except the telemetry and GWX updates.

I like 8.1s start menu, I dislike 10s start menu.

win8 still suffers from the "i want to be a touchscreen pad" syndrome.

remember a few years ago when all the websites redesigned their layout because they thought everyone was going to be browsing with touchscreen pads? yeah, it's their fault.

>because they thought everyone was going to be browsing with touchscreen pads

But that's already the case...
On social network there are already way more mobile than PC users. Even on normal sites they usually make up about 1/3 of the users which is insane if you consider that they've been around for only a few years.

Nah, it's crap: no XDDM, no Shadow Copy, no NFS, no WMC, bloatware metro shit, shit design made by pajeet. Pass.
7 > 10 Ltsb 2015 > 8.1

>falling for the marketing jews

i have telemetry bullshit on my win 8.1 too
firefox has this too

last few years have been really downhill

>Win10
>Can't detect CPU
wew

>Six core processor
>Cores: 3

X°^D

Nope, you can make Windows 10 a better experience that 8.1 after a few tweaks.
Delete all the Windows store apps, and minimize information sent to microsoft, and you're set.
I've recently installed Windows 10 on my laptop which was running xubuntu prior to the installation, and I'm quiet impressed with how smooth it is on a low-end laptop(braswell pentinum) like this.
I think the redstone update contributed in giving me such experience, because I was experiencing slow performance and issues on the build before that.

Used 7 and 8.1, I tried 10 and couldn't stay on it for more than a day because of shady background processes.
8.1 with Star8 or classic shell is the best choice for an OS today.
Boots faster much less resource heavy, only needs a few updates, while win7 needs like 8 gigs downloaded.
It's also mainstream supported until 2018, and extended support is 2023, I'm staying on it for a long time.

>shady background processes.

18+ site, kiddo

What's wrong with windows store apps?

Well, I don't use it and it often runs in the background, eating resources.
It seems that the apps make windows 10 'bloated' other than the 'botnet' issues
So I guess it's better toI just delete all of it.

>win7 needs like 8 gigs downloaded
Are you retarded? There's 500MB (out of ehich less than half are ipmortant/critical) of recommended updates and 200MB of optional. Eat shit and die pajeet.

AUDIO DRIVERS
WINDOWS 10
WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED
HIGH LATENCY?
NO!

Install classicshell and it's basically the next logical step after 7. Only valid reason to stay with 7 is if you really have that much of a hard on for aero, which is fucking outdated in this day and age btw.

Or if you want your username to be 'User' or one of these other reasons:

What? Do you mean Windows 8 by any chance? Windows 8.1 is a really solid OS. It only got flak because soccermoms complained about the missing windows menu.

I reinstalled 7 yesterday and had to manually install a ton of updates just to get Windows Update working again - readiness updates, Update updates, convenience rollup etc.
To be completely honest it's a pain in the ass to do a clean install of 7 in 2016.

gist.github.com/xvitaly/eafa75ed2cb79b3bd4e9

10's pretty smooth
No issues with stability yet
Can't tell any noticeable performance difference with the recent iterations of windows since 7
It just works? What's to hate about it
I understand the whole two hands in the ass, spyware botnet korean slut malware riddled in windows 10 premise, I just don't honestly care and I see no way that It could possibly effect me in the latter

>works fine on my i7-6700k :^)
Yeah no shit

I got 8.1+classic shell running on my main machines. Hate to say it, but for no other reason than >it just werks

Am p happy with it tho

Rude

this

>isn't a botnet like 10
Are you retarded? I mean, you still use 8.1 so I guess that question is already answered.

that

>have control over updates
>can remove undesirable updates
Seems much better than 10, familia

>8.1
>stable
At least on my pc it was slow as fuck, crashed quite a lot, had trouble waking from sleep, and lots of other issues. Regular windows 8 worked better. The only somewhat stable windows version is 7

>To be completely honest it's a pain in the ass to do a clean install of 7 in 2016.

Prepare by using an offline updater, then save the updates for future reinstalls.

Thankfully I don't plan on reinstalling it any time soon, and I'll do a backup now that I've installed and configured everything.
Honestly I can download, put Mint on a USB, install, update and configure it to my liking in an hour, yesterday 7 took me an entire afternoon of fiddling.
How things have changed.

>To be completely honest it's a pain in the ass to do a clean install of 7 in 2016.
No, it's not.

mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

How to update the Windows Update Agent to the latest version
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

July 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

>not slipstreaming

softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Windows-Hotfix-Downloader.shtml

ntlite.com/download/

>using anything other than Windows 10

enjoy not being able to play any of the great DirectX12 exclusives released this year or any of the millions of great DirectX12 exclusives that will be released in the future.

nigga, what ?

Thanks, I needed a laugh

support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3053711

I mean what the fuck is wrong with Microsoft, how do they do it?

Yes, sure, once you know all the hoops you have to jump trough it's easier.
Before I could even start with the updates I was getting BSOD while installing 7.
Turns out it really, really didn't like my MICROSOFT wireless keyboard...

>Yes, sure, once you know all the hoops you have to jump trough it's easier.
I just install it offline, install drivers and then those 4 updates and after that Windows Update takes less than 10 minutes to find all the updates. No hoops whatsoever.

it has it but you can turn it off and it will stay off unlike windows 10 telemetry their is no way to turn it off unless you want to spend hours blocking hundreds of Microsoft servers that are dedicated to data collection. I don't even know if your router can handle blocking so many servers because they literally have hundreds of them.

8.1 isn't as buggy as 10 but it's still more buggy than 7.

Only in 7 can you disable desktop composition and play games with no input lag in windowed fullscreen.

>Nope, you can make Windows 10 a better experience that 8.1 after a few tweaks.
>Delete all the Windows store apps, and minimize information sent to microsoft, and you're set.
What part of 10 is a "better experience?"

It's the same as 8.1 except it has a start menu, and installing a start menu in 8.1 is easy as hell.

I go between 8 and 7 fairly often.

They are pretty much identical only 8.1 has a shittier theme.

I use 7 because classic and 8.1 has more software issues(though very slight). Oh and 8 takes fucking forever to shut down. Like Jesus Christ. Probably boots slower as well despite that being one of the big things people touted as a big improvement.

I don't understand why people need Star8 or Classic Shell.

If you use your start menu in any other way than open it, type 2 or 3 letters for what you want, then press enter, you're doing it wrong. The standard 8.1 menu does this, and does it better than 10 which has a slow and often inaccurate search.

>8.1 has a shittier theme.
>liking that tacky aero glass bullshit

neck yourself

There's very few games I've tried on Win10 with borderless window and get any lag at all. I'm on a 1440p screen at 144hz and it's fine. Runs as nicely as fullscreen.

Can you disable all the tedious long ass animations and shit?

Besides, the windows search feature have always been pretty shit, sometimes it doesn't even find the exe I want. Easier to just pin shit you a start menu that doesn't take six years of fade in and shit and forces to you to obscure your entire monitor with a retarded fullscreen thing with oversized icons that are badly spaced out and works like shit with keyboard inputs.

So then there are a few.

I don't have a 144hz monitor though so I don't have that luxury.

No. But I do really like the classic theme and not have everything be in fullscreen.

I'm not sure if you can disable tedious animations, but you can start searching before they're done, so it doesn't really matter.

As far as finding exes go, Windows 7 and 8.1 were both fairly successful if I have opened it once before. Windows 10 is absolutely useless with finding an exe. I assume you mean stand-alone applications that aren't installed, like putty.

Pressing Start and searching still takes less time than pinning items to your start menu, since it'll be quicker than moving your hand to your mouse, and still quicker than using keyboard to navigate to the icon on your start menu.

The only thing that's faster is pinning things to your taskbar, but that's only for the first 5 applications you use frequently.

Yes it is. Clean install + Classic Shell + Updates disabled is the true patrician Windows experience.

Aero (7's Aero, not Vista's) is the best design MS has come up with.

It has the same shitty half-assed tablet UI as Windows 10, but without any of the performance benefits that 10 has.

Windows 10 is the Street fighter V of Windows.

>It has the same shitty half-assed tablet UI as Windows 10
Not really if you install a start menu it's just like 7, 10's menu is inferior to 7 or 8.1.

>but without any of the performance benefits that 10 has.
Including files not appearing on desktop until you refresh the desktop, the supposedly improved search being painfully slow to show results and mysterious battery drain problems.

No

>wincucks are plebeian
>lincucks are equites
>macfags are patrician

>It has the same shitty half-assed tablet UI as Windows 10
I bet you have never even gave it a try. The start screen is worlds better than a start menu. They just should have made it easier to customize tiles.

>Working on something
>Need to open another program
>Have to open a fullscreen window to do so
No thanks user.

When you're opening something and need to open another program, your whole attention switches to opening that other program. It doesn't matter if you can still see your first program in the background or not.

Do you have that annoying 100% disk usage after startup on Windows 8.1 as well?

Its the only real problem I have with 8.1 is the stupid 100% disk usage for no reason after it boots up. cause it makes it impossible to start up a program without waiting 1-3 minutes. But then again I am using that Embedded industry Pro version of Windows 8.1 so... (thank dreamspark)

I've got that issue with a Laptop running Windows 7. And since it's an older Laptop with a slow HDD it can take up to 30 minutes until disk usage goes back to 0.

Does 8 also overwrite files less often than 7?

Has anyone done a ssd lifespan test on different OSs?

Yes, it's a Windows thing.

what did he mean by this?

Im happi im not the only one to love the 8.1 start menu

what kind of fag uses the start menu like that?