Guys I'm going to be installing gentoo tonight. What should I expect?

Guys I'm going to be installing gentoo tonight. What should I expect?

>been using Linux for years and gentoo is about the only non-obscure distro I have yet to install

>What should I expect?
memes

A lot of errors

installing ubuntu next morning

/thread

waiting for shit to compile

expect installing Arch to suddenly seem quite easy.

Unexpected hardware errors aside, booting ending in tty.

installing mint next morning

/fixed

>What should I expect?
Out of box almost nothing is going to work and you have only yourself to blame for not making it work yet

No thanks.

Just follow the handbook closely and you should be fine.

This exactly. Steps will be similar to an arch install - just extra time because of compiles. Setup takes awhile but maintenance is easy. The package manager is great. You won't use any other Linux again. Just follow the documentation carefully. Keep your own notes.

Getting mad when u run into some issue where you have to unmask shit and rebuild hundreds of packages just to install some other package.

This. If he's familiar with linux command line and how to navigate linux, he can get it installed in a day or two for a first install.

?

?

... for several hours

Have fun unrolling loops

>Guys I'm going to be installing gentoo tonight. What should I expect?
A lot of confusion and a steep learning curve; but if you persevere, satori.

>What should I expect?
kernel panic on first boot.

It will read something like this:
>kernel panic - not syncing

the only true response in this thread

also the gradual degradation of the cohesiveness of your system/install as you need to use more and more obscure kludges to get pain in the ass packages to compile

also waiting 45 minutes for some massive package to fail to compile, editing some settings, and waiting another 45 minutes for it to fail to compile
I'm looking at you webkit-gtk

>root@system:/usr/src/linux# sudo make
>
>
>
>wait
>I forgot to -j5
>ohhhhhhhhhhh booooooooooy

I've been using gentoo for years and never had any major issues like this. Got any specific examples?

>I'm looking at you webkit-gtk
Protip: You're doing something wrong if you have webkit-gtk installed. Nothing relevant uses it. Heck, Gtk is pretty much dead in favor of Qt on modern linux. Only archaic crap still uses gtk willingly.

Also, webkit is deader than dead, especially webkit-gtk. qtwebkit at least receives some activity. But oh well, that's beside the point

>also the gradual degradation of the cohesiveness of your system/install as you need to use more and more obscure kludges to get pain in the ass packages to compile
I would like to add that gentoo only falls into this sort of disrepair if you don't actively maintain it (e.g. take too long in between upgrades, don't clean up your installed package list regularly, don't sanity check your masks/unmasks regularly and remove stuff that no longer applies, etc.)

Gentoo definitely has some administration overhead, but if you give it some love it will love you in return. If you let it fall into disrepair by having hacks pile up over the years, you will end up in dependency/mask/flag hell.

Don't use gentoo unless you're ready to commit to it. That's why I only run gentoo on a single system (my home workstation), because it's the only system I have the energy to pour love into on a regular basis. Everywhere else, I use low-maintenance distros like ubuntu + unattended-upgrades

you're preaching to the choir homeslice

I had webkit-gtk for suckless's surf browser. I wanted it because I wanted as lean a system as possible (which, as I learned, surf is only lean on the surface.)
I don't really use it anymore, I just have it installed on my pi, and I ssh tunnel a session over when I wanna save battery life.

I don't wanna sound like a dick either but you're pulling the "It works for me so you're doing it wrong" card

The thing about webkit and “lean” is that what they don't tell you is how webkit scales.

webkit has a low minimum overhead but absolutely terrible scaling. So it will be lightning fast on plaintext websites but dogshit slow on large or element-heavy pages (e.g. a source code listing with syntax highlighting)

Something like blink/webengine/gecko on the other hand has much more *consistent* performance regardless of the webpage size. It won't be as lightning-fast on plaintext websites, but it also won't be as dogshit slow on heavy websites.

here,
is exactly the kernel panic I was referring to

$2 says OP will see that on first boot

>I don't wanna sound like a dick either but you're pulling the "It works for me so you're doing it wrong" card
In many situations this is a perfectly valid card to pull. The only real criticism against it is that “works for me” fails to capture a difference in requirements, but I don't think that applies here?

I've done well enough of my share of complicated setups with gentoo to be fairly confident that it can be handled sanely as long as you maintain it well, which was sort of my point.

See . It's your fault for not configuring your bootloader and/or initramfs correctly

The love and joy that is portage.

Calm down pajeet I only predicted what would happen. I use Gentoo myself and a kernel panic on initial boot is the standard procedure for new gentoo users

Generally because you forget to enable all hardware drivers required for booting

>What should I expect?
Red eyes

RIP OP

Hey OP. Gentoo is really neat. Once you get your head around USE flags, and develop a system to store theme neatly, then portage becomes a lot of fun.
If you haven't compiled a kernel before it might be worthwhile getting a working network and X, with genkernel before moving onto gentoo-sources.
I did this gentoo install months ago and only just realised I forgot to set a hostname for my machine. You should expect stupid shit like that.

after using gentoo for a while, i move back to arch because of the AUR and the steep learning curve.