2TB external drive

>2TB external drive
>can only fit 1.81TB

I'm aware that it has always been like this, but why has nobody been sued about it yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Spotted the windows user

that's really bad

/thread

because the rest is used by the file system data structures.

But the file size reduction is amazing, isn't it?

thx webmbro! ..no. wait..

>2 TB external drive
>can only fit 1.81 TiB

Then why not make it large enough so that the drive still holds 2TB even after that is taken into account?

Whenever this frog is posted, why is the accompanying post always retarded?

look at basically they can write 2TB on the box without being wrong, but (you) seem to have expected 2TiB

Because this frog is a sign of a facebook/reddit user. They sometimes leak over here into Cred Forums when they don't get attention at their own cancerous website.

because there are many file systems every file system has a different design depending on its goal. But the total size is really 2TB when not considering the file system and the disk controller taken areas.

Computer scientists used SI prefixes (kilo, mega, ...) to denote powers of 2^10, because that was a fast way of talking about reasonable amounts of data. HDD manufacturers use it to denote 10^3, as in SI, because they can advertise a bigger number. You should be using TiB, not TB, to be explicit about the base 2 version.

>What is the difference between TB and TiB

nope not as good, no transparency

Why do you care?
If you buy a 500GB Laptop and it comes with windows loaded, your not going to get shit about it not having 500GB.
Just the way partitions work.

This pic clearly shouldn't be used to start a thread.

No

I don't know much when it comes to file systems, why does the partition take so much space compared to on a smaller drive? Over 100GB seems nonsensical to me

I have high speed internet, I don't care about size reduction dumbass.

That's because HDD manufacturers use SI prefixes (T = 10^12) and Windows uses binary prefixes but uses the SI names (T = 2^40 which is more or less 1.1 * 10^12).
IEC suggested to use Ti to denominate 2^40 to differentiate from the SI prefix T, but Windows ignores this.

Minor error:

1 kilobyte = kB

The SI prefix is lowercase. K is reserved for Kelvin.

Windows is wrong.
OS X and most GNU+Linux desktops use the correct units.

Thanks, not sure if I still have the psd but I'll make the fix if I find it.

>Speicherkapazitat

i know, the point was that it's obviously 2*10^12 Byes = 2 TB, but windows shows TiB as TB

there's some more german words for you senpai :')

>daten
top kek

It's twenty-four per thousand parts.
Is a small amount that builds up significantly as the capacity increases.
Then it gets even worse when you get into MB & GB because those take 24 out per thousand of the previous increment.

24b/1KB
24KiB/1MB
24MiB/1GB
24GiB/1TB
And so on

My HDDs are named:
data1
data2
data3
data4

>not naming one's harddrive "shithole"
oh user

Because you're expecting a 2TB drive to hold 2TiB of data.

Someone should patch all Windows libraries and programs to use proper units.

Fuck of Cred Forumsindows faggot.

Educate yourself.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units

why is it 1,81 TB if it's supposed to be TiB ? Can we sue them for that ?

Microsoft customers hate change and would rather keep an error than learn something.

Sorry, I don't speak nazi