I feel like this isnt a stupid question so this is not on /sqt/

Long story short :
>I wanted to install Linux
>I chose Ubuntu 16.04 because only latest kernel supports my hardware and I wanted the easy road
>/ partition on micro sd card
>/boot on flash drive because my computer doesn't boots off from micro sd
>chose flash drive for bootloader location
>Boots fine when I plug flash drive to sata 1 and micro sd to sata 2 on virtualbox
>It doesn't boot at all on metal

Killer is both virtualbox and Ubuntu sees my 2 gb flash drive as 1 TiB disk?

What did I do wrong Cred Forums? Could it be that my flash drive is dying?

Other urls found in this thread:

serverwatch.com/server-tutorials/using-a-physical-hard-drive-with-a-virtualbox-vm.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>i feel like this isnt a stupid question

If the reason why you think it's not a stupid question is that you "feel it", it totally is a stupid question. How about you stop doing it all wrong? Also stop shitposting while you're at it.

Well I am asking what did I do wrong.
>How about you stop doing it all wrong?
How?
It doesn't feel like I am the one shitposting.

This user is right You just need a bootable flash drive.

duck duck go "how to make bootable usb stick of linux on windows"

retard

install arch

>how to make bootable usb stick of linux on windows
I startpaged that and it lead me to threads about how to make "live cd"s of Linux distros.
I need to make a bootable flash drive pointing to another drive of Linux installation.

Did you put boot flag on the partition of the drive?

yes I created 512 mb partition from 2 gb drive

unetbootin?

>Killer is both virtualbox and Ubuntu sees my 2 gb flash drive as 1 TiB disk?
nigga, u prob made vdi on vbox

no I used raw disk access on both disks using this command

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename "C:\Users\\VirtualBox VMs\\.vmdk" -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive#

from this site
serverwatch.com/server-tutorials/using-a-physical-hard-drive-with-a-virtualbox-vm.html

Can you be more specific by "out doesn't boot"? Also have you generated fstab?

/sqt/ is for questions that don't deserve their own threads. This is definitely that sort of question.

I just used Ubuntu installer to make /boot and bootloader on flash drive. I installed it on virtualbox by using both disks on raw access mode like in Also by saying does not boot I mean I deselect windows boot manager and internal storage on UEFI and it jumps me back to uefi saying no bootable disk after 5-10 seconds of screen blinking.

Install Arch. No, no autist bullshit, take the guide and install it. You can install Arch on practically anything, phones, tablets, laptops etc, because it is so modular. Just get it to boot, the install some huge meta package like KDE to install all the small crap like printing and MTP

u gparted mbr and grub the boothing usb

Sorry?

try setting uefi legacy mode in bios as workaround

u installed it for nonuefi and ur pc uses uefi

mbr for way
gpt for uefi

it doesn't have that mode. I tried disabling secure boot but it did nothing. I think I figured out mu mistake. I shouldn't have plugged the flash drive as a hard drive to virtualbox. I just tried plugging it as a flash drive and virtualbox didn't booted too.
Now I need to figure out how to make a flash drive that boots a /boot'less Linux install on another drive

this is the sqt thread?

Anyways I have a question about encryption, what program do you recommend? Let's say that I delete the program, can I reinstall it at a future date and then decrypt the files? I just want to encrypt my micro sd card , but be able to decrypt it every once in a while to move files

any encryption program does that. I recommend veracrypt. this isn't /sqt/

> You can install Arch on practically anything, phones, tablets, laptops etc
Arch doesn't support anything but x86
>because it is so modular
No it isn't.

the other one is bump limit

ecryptfs

I think I figured it out. I am now installing it on virtualbox, flash drive plugged as flashdrive, only bootloader is on flashdrive, no separate /boot/ partition. Wish me luck

Your desktop sucks, dude. You don't need to post it in every thread. We get it: you can't compile a custom kernel so you didn't use Gentoo and chose the next easiest option.

use GPT
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

fpbp