Intel Atom, 2 cores @ 1.6GHz

>Intel Atom, 2 cores @ 1.6GHz
>512GB 5400 RPM HDD
>1GB DDR3

What operating system do I put on this that will make the experience 100% input-lag free? I tried both Linux Mint and Ubuntu.

There was a massively debloated win 7 starter wich worked perfectly for me on a similar netbook

I have almost the same set up as you except I have 4gb ram.
I can play Dota 2, TF2, run multiple programs at the same time. I can play any elder scrolls game. Go and buy yourself 2 sticks of ram and enjoy your piece of shit computer.
Windows 7 is perfect. If you have to get Windows 10. Also Linux Mint and Debian worked fine for me.

From easiest to hardest:
Lubuntu
Debian Minimal with Openbox/LXDE or XFCE
Arch Linux with Openbox/LXDE or XFCE.

I would recommend using some lightweight browser too if you can, every little thing counts to squeeze performance.
And what do you mean by input lag?

>input lag
Even when logging in on Mint (Cinnamon), the password input dialog box will "buffer" for a second and then show the rest typed rather quickly. This machine is going to be for my grandmother, so I would like the experience to be smooth for her--it would be discouraging to a re-learning typist to have such issues come up. This is not limited to login, and is only a minor issue, but an issue I would like to solve, nonetheless.
I was thinking about just upping the RAM, as well, but we will see how this goes.

Ubuntu MATE, that's what I have on my dual core 1.8ghz atom and 2gb ram and it works great. Ubuntu mate uses like 300MB so ram shouldn't be an issue.

Any Linux distro or *BSD will work well

i'm using a netbook with the piece of shit atom n270 1.6GHz

it had 1GB of RAM but i got one more. 1 is just not enough for chromium because the piece of shit hogs and devours everything and beyond. with 2GB right now the netbook is somewhat usable.

i'm running arch from a 4GB usb flash drive (2.0) but you could get a solid meme. the biggest bottleneck is the piece of shit processor.

Upgrade RAM and throw something lighter than Cinnamon (XFCE/MATE works and is comfy enough) and you shouldn't have that massive input lag.
It's possible that the input lag is being caused by swap since you don't have tons of RAM, so I would really try to upgrade it to 2GB at least.

Windows XP
Windows 2000
Any sane distro that runs Openbox instead of a full fledged DE
Avoid Firefox and Chrome and bloated websites, though there's no way an Atom N450 like yours will be able to render modern JS/CSS bloat without taking a few breaks
Using the Linux kernel with the BFS scheduler is a great idea if you want responsiveness
Cinnamon isn't lightweight senpai
>I was thinking about just upping the RAM, as well, but we will see how this goes.
This is the best thing you can do, 1 gb doesn't cut it with modern DE's and browsers

How do I run Ubuntu with openbox? I want the hardware and update support of Ubuntu (or is the hardware support pretty universal?) with no bloat.

Get more RAM, and then just standard win7. Starter edition isn't any faster, just limited in functionality

>Windows
no

One day they'll ban you

I can't wait

Use Bunsen labs, it's Debian based, very light, very configurable. Always has run like a dream for me.

Lubuntu or Puppy. Is Puppy still a thing?

which rules is he breaking?

Put one more GB and use Lubuntu

FreeDOS. But honestly, Windows XP.

>input-lag free
>free
Pick one.

Windows 7 has had the same chugging problems I have seen in Linux. Don't play that game.

stupid apple poster

apple

Arch with lxde