Are laptops finally capable of being desktop replacements?

Are laptops finally capable of being desktop replacements?

Do I need a desktop when I can just use an i7 elitebook or latitude instead.
Do you need a gaming pc when you can buy a gaming laptop that has a desktop gpu in it?

Yeah but I would wait for the gsync models.

>Are laptops finally capable of being desktop replacements?
Sure.
Now fuck off.

Neat

Shame about the fake tits, belly tattoo, and navel piercing. Still would though tee bee haitch.

Wow

>belly tattoo, and navel piercing
Nothing wrong with these tbqhwufam

If you don't mind dating a druggy skank.

Who said anything about dating?

Druggy skank with a small tattoo and piercing like that ?
Nah, I doubt it.

You're right. You'd probably have to marry her once she's used up to even get within touching distance.

Anyone that tans, has a visible tatoo and bellybutton piercing like that is going to be on drugs.

If I had to guess I would say she used to be a stripper but quit, got married, and is divorced and hooked on opiates.

basically they're fine if you're not a gaymen. Even iGPU's are getting badass even for game development (mostly 2D and simple 3D)

As spoken by someone completely detached from society.

Are you stuck in 2008 or something? You can get desktop GPUs in laptops now.

I can build a desktop capable of running any game at 60+ fps for under $800, monitor included. A laptop with those capabilities would cost twice as much, for a smaller screen.

>Being so naive you can't tell drug addicts from healthy people.

I've heard that gaming with a good (mobile) CPU and an external GPU is tolerable, but I would take that with a large grain of salt. There have been some good gains in mobile CPU's in the past few CPU generations, but I don't think it's quite at the point where you can safely say you don't need a desktop.

>I can build a desktop capable of running any game at 60+ fps for under $800, monitor included.

No

My build with an i5 6500 and an rx480 with a 23 inch monitor is at $842. I could cut that down with a cheaper motherboard and case.

Now post benchmarks of "every game" running at 60

You're right.
Personally, I am not a fan of navel piercings.
Her boobjob isn't great, and depending on how the procedure was done, she may have lost a lot of feeling in her nipples.
I don't have a problem with tattoos in principle but that location isn't the best (prone to distortion over the years)

Honestly, I wouldn't approach her if I saw her out somewhere, but if I somehow got to know her and she was interesting, I wouldn't hold any of what I said against her.

See pic, they're not that far behind anymore.

>i5 6500
>rx480
You get what you pay for, just don't expect the same performance as one of those gaming laptops

Name a game the 480 can't handle at 1080p 60fps with that cpu. Go ahead. I'll fucking wait.

They have been good enough for a while, but now there's zero difference in the hardware.
So no, you don't need a desktop.
Only problem is the price and that's about it.
But it's a pretty massive problem.
Because you're looking at a +800$ extra in comparison to desktops

That's not the point. You can also buy a cheaper laptop with weaker specs you moron.

Plus you're paying for the ability to carry your performance pc around with you.

>800+ in comparison to desktops
Is that just the box? Because if not then you're full of shit

You literally said post benchmarks and claimed an $800 build is impossible for maxed out gaming. Find me an $800 laptop that can play any AAA title from the past 3 years at high settings. The point is a gaming laptop will be almost double the price of a similar desktop, and for what? I don't personally need to game anywhere but my home.

No I didn't.

Fair enough, they're still too expensive for me to justify. That's what's stopping them from taking over, but I'm sure in a few years that will have changed.

I use a i7 HQ something and a GTX 970M as a desktop replacement and it;s been perfectly grand for me OP.

Got the thing hooked up to a TV for a sort of dual monitor setup. The actual laptop screen is for netflix.

It's not that different when you factor in everything though.

Like the laptop comes with a screen, speakers, keyboard, etc.

Also that shit is compact /built in so it's much more portable.

kid you obviously haven't seen country people

These people are not normally honest.

>>i5 6500
>>rx480
Gaming laptop will have a faster CPU
Midrange laptops have the GTX 1060 which is pretty much neck to neck. Designed for 13 inch gaming laptops. 15 inch and 17 inch comes with GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 respectively. Nvidia no longer makes a separate laptop version of their GPUs for this generation.

Exactly.

If I want to upgrade/replace/fix an internal part how are current laptops holding up?

Just expanding on your pose :3

I'm going to upgrade my 18 inch alienware soon. Probably going to go from hd6970m to 7970m.

Everything is pretty much modular, more so than a thinkpad. You can even sli/cfx.

Not sure about newer ones

>gaming

why there isn't some script that automatically does this shit at Cred Forums servers?

Laptops have been great desktop replacements for anything except gaming for a while now, and even then, they've been at least adequate for that.

You won't see me abandoning a desktop anytime soon though. First, they're still going to be a better deal, performance per dollar wise, not to mention that it's easier to upgrade piecemeal. The peripheral market is large, and you're not forced to compromise on anything: monitor, audio, or input, just because it's built into the machine that's otherwise good. Or compromise for size. No laptop's going to have the sound of 8″ speakers driven by a real amp. I've also had those speakers for almost 5 years. I've almost completely changed computers twice in that time. I just replaced my ten year old 30″ monitor with a 27″ one (which is basically a stop gap for me until acceptably priced high speed 2160p OLED monitors become real). I've also used the same mechanical keyboard for years too, and they don't make any laptops with buckling springs, and not many with Cherry Greens.

That doesn't even get into my ergonomic chair and desk. If I used a laptop as my primary computer, I'd end up plugging it into a dock and using the same peripherals.

So yeah. Sure. Laptops are fine, and I think a majority of PC users out there are actually using laptops, but they're not quite on the same level as a desktop.

All true but it's not just gaming, it's anything that requires real horsepower.
The more powerful a laptop becomes, the less battery time you have so even a really powerful laptop becomes a gimped down and hot portable desktop you have to keep plugged in anyway, and if it's gotta be plugged in to use it's full resources you had might as well have a nice big monitor, mouse and keyboard plugged in to it. Might as well be able to get a bigger better video card and everything for it and a big case with much better cooling to hold it all.

Well, I had several friends in the graphic arts industries move over to laptops as soon as SSDs became major. They take them to their living rooms or to coffee houses, where they can still work with them plugged in. A friend that does animation does some kind of remote rendering thing, which sounds like a hassle but she loves it.

its about what worload are you doing.

Most users, including office ones, would have enough with the power that a i3 / A8 give'em. Even the integrated graphics will let'em do most of their stuff without any problem.

The real problem are the slow 5400 rpm disks, but if you got money for a 7200 one or a SSD, you are all set.

But anything beyond that, let it be running demanding programs, do heavy numerical computation etc, well, you'll suffer. But thats about 20% (rouhgly guesstimated) that will really need more power.

3dpg, fucking whore

and her neck, wtf

I've been using laptops exclusively since maybe 2008. Thankfully I never fell for the gaming pc meme though I cut it close a few times.

I still think desktops have value, though certainly not for playing video games.

No.

I've bought into the meme in the past that I should get a gaymen laptop because I was in uni and I needed to travel to and fro from home often. Don't do it. Get a desktop and the cheapest secondhand netbook you can find.

Sure, you can find beefier, heavier laptops that have 7200rpm hard drives or ssd's and have comparable internal graphics cards.

The principal problem however, remains heat.

The MSI laptop I owned had a really nice air cooling solution, with copper-looking heatpipes and a fan at the side with a decent cooling block (for a laptop), much better than the laughable 'fan intake along the inside of the hinge' that most thin laptops use.

Jet fuel may not melt steel beams, but it can weaken steel to the point that it collapses onto itself. Similarly, heat exhaust from my laptop may not melt plastic, but it turned the plastic grille protecting the heat exhaust brittle and it started falling off slowly in pieces over time.

Now don't get me wrong. These laptops are ok for daily use, but I can guarantee a few things: -They will throttle their own graphics when they run hot, which they always will regardless of their design.
-The battery will be significantly reduced in capacity over the course of 2 years if it's internal and if the laptop is 'thin' in design/does not have a dedicated exhaust at the side. 1 year if you use it for more then 3 hours per day.

Caveat:
You could use a thin notebook and hook it up to an external graphics card to mitigate the heat problem. However, what's the point? At the end of the day it's not mobile. You can't just pack your external graphics card and open it up anywhere, you need a wall socket. At the end of the day these setups are gimmicky, no different than desktop+netbook, and can be sometimes more expensive than the desktop+netbook environment.

>I still think desktops have value, though certainly not for playing video games.
What, the best machines for gaming have no value for gaming?

Cred Forums logic

For a gaming laptop, part for part you pay more and get less performance than a desktop.
Common knowledge

PRICE.
Pic related.

When you build your PC, you buy all the parts, monitor, EVERYTHING new.
My PC price:
>49 323 CZK (meme money including meme tax) = 2052$
And I can now replace any part in the future and save money, I can (and did) slap DVD-ROM because my house is full of them, I can slap 6+ HDD when my government decides to shut down internet and so on. Also cooling.

When I go to our online shop, and I want to see notebooks with GTX1070 in, all I get is:
MSI gaming laptops with cheapest price:
>62 990 CZK (without monitor) = 2621$

So I SAVE 600$ by buying something more powerful, more customizable, better cooled and less portable. And in the future (if I will still play games and be manchild) I can save more money because I can upgrade only GPU or something.

So I can now go, buy small laptop with no GPU, which will be light, last 8 hours on battery and still save some money.

Exactly, but he said they don't have value for gaming.

Doesn't that depend on the person sitting behind it though?

Laptops generate too much heat. Running games or doing any other intensive task isn't a good idea. Aside from sending it to an early grave, the CPU will simply down throttle to a lower speed when it becomes too hot.